Intellivision to Be Reborn on DS

Posted by Zach Kaplan

It's still alive!

Earlier this year we quite favourably reviewed the GameCube release Intellivision Lives!, a collection of over sixty games from the presumed dead retro system. Among its catalogue were not only nostalgia-inducing favorites but demos and prototypes as well, including everything from Bomb Squad to Baseball and Thunder Castle to Crosswords and much more.

The ESRB recently outed the same title for the DS, its lifespan prolonged by Collision Studios. Last year we reported that Nintendo rejected the title for its DSiWare service as they do not condone downloadable emulation. Those of you felt let down on that occasion can now rejoice.

Whether the release will include the full lineup of its previous outing is currently unknown, but if its catalogue is even somewhat comparable, it's sure to rival some DSi downloads and other budget titles that only offer a portion of its genre-spanning entertainment. We'll keep you updated on all future developments.

[via esrb.org]

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I'm already Ebay'ing my Gamecube version because the touchscreen will make a far better interface. I hope it includes the Activision/Imagic catalogue that was on the PC version as well as I never got to play Dracula and the Intellivision version of Demon Attack looks like the definitive one.

jhuhn

jhuhn said:

It's scheduled for a release sometime in June 2010 by Virtual Play Games.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I'm hoping it comes out during my trip Stateside - that would be a great thing to pick-up without the usual postage cost and delay. Plus I can get a head start on the review!

jones2929

jones2929 said:

Can't wait for this one. I remember Christmas Day, sometime in the early 80s, when my friends across the street got an Intellivision system. My Atari 2600 seemed so outdated and uncool. I spent the next few days playing baseball and NASL Soccer.

the_shpydar

the_shpydar said:

Hmm, the DS interface should make for better Intellivision gaming; i'll keep my eye on it.

And just a heads up for Intellivision fans who also have a 360, a number of Intellivision games (and Atari 2600 games) are currently available through Game Room.

StrikerJ

StrikerJ said:

If it includes Cloudy Mountain, I'm so there. But I doubt that it will because no Intellivision anthology has done so yet. Alas, that was my favorite Intellivision game.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

I have an Atari collection for GBA and it has many of my favorite games like River Raid and Boxing. I never played an Intellivision, i was atari kid.

Knux

Knux said:

I have never played an Intellivision game before, but this might be the best way to start! :D