Boom Blox Team Lose Some Bricks

Posted by

Re-location costs some their job

Several members of the development team for the Boom Blox series have lost their jobs, according to recent reports. EA have stated that a relocation of a small project from LA to the UK has resulted in the lay-off of a small number of staff and that all eligible employees will receive severance pay and outplacement assistance.

The publishing powerhouse have stressed that this is in no way related to an announced restructuring, but that it is a routine event and an attempt to leverage development strengths.

EA have confirmed their commitment to the EA LA studio, which is responsible for development of Medal of Honor and Command and Conquer franchises.

[via kotaku.com]

Related Games

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Unfortunately this sort of thing probably always happens in the business world. Has the poor sales of the brilliant boom blox series contibuted to this?!

UK huh? Welcome anyway ;-)

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

One of their only credible IPs on the Wii and some of the members are fired. Darn the economy. Boom Blox sold really well. The sequel not so much.

LinktotheFuture

LinktotheFuture said:

Too bad. Boom Blox is a great series, and I don't like hearing about anyone losing their jobs in tough times like these.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

EA is in for rough times, I don't expect this to be the last casualties of restructuring there.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

I loved Bash Party, shame that the makers of one of the few great "casual" games on Wii are getting slammed.

DK_vs_KK

DK_vs_KK said:

Boom Blox: Bash Party was an incredible game, although I can see why it got poor sales. It's just more of the same for those who had already bought Boom Blox. Boom Blox: Bash Party improved on the original a LOT though, including a ton of new levels, a stress-free online experience, and achievements. It's sad to see the developers of this game getting laid off. :(

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

That's too bad. I haven't gotten around to getting Bash Party yet, so I feel like I contributed to this. :(

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

I will buy Bash Party soon, but i haven´t played too much Boom 1 and i don´t want to forget it.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Bash Party really turned the first game up to 11, there's so many levels included I've not scratched the surface and then who knows how many to download; all without friend codes. The level editor is also infinitely better, but sadly I just haven't had the time to invest.

Machu

Machu said:

Having bought them both this is sad to hear. This team needed to be kept together, they knew what they were doing. :(

Andor

Andor said:

That's really sad, I have both of them and I loved the improvements done in Bash Party. There were so many new tools and levels that I'm still playing it today and I'm far from completing it. The only thing I have to agree is that the Bash Party's menu layout was a major step down, I hated the fact that the stages were organized by theme and not by tools like in the first one.

vherub

vherub said:

@ Sean- agree with you completely. Haven't downloaded new content in a while, need to check that out.

Boonehams

Boonehams said:

Wait a minute... Bash Party didn't sell well? That's weird (and sad). During the holidays, I couldn't find the damn thing--it was all sold out wherever I went.