Red Steel 2 Devs "Have Beaten Waggle"

Posted by James Newton

Still have room for breakfast

We're getting excited about Red Steel 2 here at Nintendo Life - in fact, we have been ever since our hands-on back in April! Whether it's the super-cool Japan-come-Wild West setting, the tasty graphics or the MotionPlus controls, there's no doubt it's one of the big titles we're dying to play next year.

Sadly, all this time not able to play the game is proving a bit stressful, so that's why it's such a good job Ubisoft are pumping us full of behind the scenes videos showing the detail and craft that's going into their next major title. In their latest episode, Creative Director Jason VandenBerghe - yes, he of the beard, Jeff Goldblum voice and crazy personality - reveals his belief that the team have defeated waggle controls.

It's heartening to hear Mr VandenBerghe say "you get the controls right first, because if you get them wrong, nothing afterwards matters." If only other Wii developers would tattoo these words across their bodies we might be spared a few waggle-fests in the future.

With ninjas, gun-slinging and a total lack of waggle controls, Red Steel 2 could easily be one of next year's first must-have games when it lands in the first quarter. You can check out the video in the link below, and be sure to stay tuned to Nintendo Life for more Red Steel 2 news and reports soon!

[via videos.uk.ubi.com]

opeter

opeter said:

So, this game will have a Wii-motion Plus in every single package?

timp29

timp29 said:

This might be the first time someone beats the waggle. Good luck to them, this game will be an insta-buy for me.

James

James said:

opeter - you'll be able to buy it on its own or with MotionPlus, but you need a MotionPlus to play it.

Reala

Reala said:

This will more than likely be my first wmp game, hope it delivers, I'm looking forward to it.

Nero

Nero said:

Looking extremely interesting. It's good that they mix it up with swordplay and guns since if it was only swordplay all the time it might get boring in the long run.

Also, Jason Vandenberghe is my hero. :D

blank_user_1

blank_user_1 said:

Wii Sports Resort had the "block" move to counter wagglers, but it made stiff play-- no pun intended.

Objection

Objection said:

I'll likely be picking this up, I just hope that it delivers when it comes to controls. While decent (IMHO), if the controls are only as good as the first one, then it won't be worth getting.

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

must...buy.... on.... launch..... day...... so..... freakin....... mesmerized......... by......... sheer.............. AWESOMENESS!!!!!

said:

waggle...3 years and still using that retarded word?

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

its good to see people not thinking of waggle as something necessary, but as something that might be able to ENHANCE the experience!

wanderlustwarrior

wanderlustwarrior said:

other articles in other websites specify what he means by this:
real world motions do transfer to game motions, so if you want to make strong swings, you need to make strong motions. I hope it works, but I really don't see how.

@buffalobob: "waggle" is an appropriate word. "retarded", on the other hand, is not.

RocketBird

RocketBird said:

I'm really excited about this game. But I am a little skeptical when a developer trumpets that they have "Beaten the Waggle" (assuming that is a quote). That just seems like such a huge and continual problem that for them to proclaim the end of all pointless waggle in their game could be an exaggeration. Still, I am hugely excited for this game. But will probably wait for the review.

James

James said:

Mr VandenBerghe himself says so in the video linked to in the bottom of the post. From what I've played myself, I believe him, although a lot of work has gone into it since then so I'm eager to see how they've changed it.

Also, please don't use "retarded" to describe something you find unsuitable or of low quality. Cheers.