Iwata: Nintendo Will Not Be Standing Still

Posted by Damien McFerran

Nintendo's big boss warns rivals after motion-control announcements at E3

This year's E3 was all about motion control as both Sony and Microsoft decided to jump on the bandwagon that Nintendo got rolling when the Wii was released some time ago.

However, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata - speaking in an interview with British newspaper The Times - revealed that he actually expected rival firms to take up the motion control challenge last year:

To tell the truth, I expected them to come up with stuff like this last year. So in my mind they're later than expected. I'd like to say to them, 'Welcome to the motion-control world!'

However, far from being intimidated by the new competition, Iwata stated that it's Nintendo's rivals that should be watching their backs:

They should bear in mind that over the next year Nintendo will not be standing still. We're always at work on something new.

I am actually looking forward to engaging in that sort of competition, because it gives our whole industry the chance to expand the gaming population.

[via technology.timesonline.co.uk]

Terra

Terra said:

When i saw that picture, i thought it looked like Iwata impersonating The Doctor when he uses his sonic screwdriver lol :D

But seriously though, nice to hear what Iwata thinks of this. I have full belief in Nintendo doing better than Microsoft and Sony with motion control

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

The Times interview is well worth reading in its entirety, by the way.

MickEiA

MickEiA said:

Take that especially microsoft they should stick to making computer software which is good though

y2josh

y2josh said:

Yeah, thought same thing Corbie. I think I shall become invisible as well. ENDS ABRUPTLY

Link79

Link79 said:

With all these awesome Nintendo games coming out soon I think Sony and Microsoft are in deep doo doo. Three new Mario games and an all new Metroid in the works! Those other guys are in for it now. Ninty is bringing out the big guns.

JohnshiBRPG

JohnshiBRPG said:

Perfect pose to represent that the competitors are too late to really make money when their projects are released, and BTW, Milo would only respond by the scripted commands!!!! I bet he would not see the tutu that I have in my hands.

bbb7002004

bbb7002004 said:

So, it becomes clear why Motion Plus was announced days before E3 last year, Nintendo was trying to get a leg up on what they expected to be some real motion competition at last year's show.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@LEGEND MARIOID: Sony lost sight of their Playstation plan because Ken Kutaragi, the Father of Playstation, left his posistion to be replaced by Kaz Hirai, who had absolutely NO idea how to properly handle the Playstation brand. That idiot has ruined things for everybody. He also said that not offering Backwards Compatability would be "a disservice to our customers," and removed it without decent explanation a year and a bit later. So there's the explanation you didn't actually ask for. :P

@bbb7002004: I thought we pretty much knew that a year ago. I mean, it may not have been CONFIRMED yet, but it was pretty obvious.

Anyone else find it odd that the previous president of Nintendo held the position from 1949 to 2002 and yet they complained that Iwata was "young" at 42 when he took the job? :P

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

Yup! Keep expanding with limited online business models, limited online gameplaying, limited handheld device functions, and of course, limited size limits stunting creativity for online bought games.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Super Smash Bros Coming to VC for Europe this Friday!!!!!!!

HeikeKagero

HeikeKagero said:

Obviously Nintendo is going to be the best with motion controls. The Wii is 99% motion controlled and Nintendo has been doing that for 3 years now?

and Damo where is your Avatar from? It looks REALLY familiar

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Awesome. Thanks for the interview link, Legend Marioid. And, um, yeah that's gotta be one of the oddest endings to an article I've ever read. <poof> Whoops, still here. <Poof!>

pixelman

pixelman said:

YES! Nintendo will start stepping it up and releasing tons of games now, yayyyyyyy. Not that I'm complaining. Totally excited for New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

The caption on Iwata's picture should've been "wha-BAM!" In a little jest to Microsoft's Project Natal Presentation Fail.

That's my second favorite picture of a Nintendo exec. the first being that Reggie one that keeps popping up everywhere

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

You know... correct me if I'm wrong. But this seems to me the first time any exec from Nintendo has said they're in direct competition with other brands, rather than going the tired route of "they can do what they want, we're doing our own thing" which pretty much destroyed the Gamecube (which to me had the best games of the last gen).

I love Iwata, he's so BAD!!! :D

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@chunky_droid: Seems to me they've been saying stuff like that for the past week. Fact is, they WEREN'T in direct competiton, but the other companies are now bringing the competition to THEM on Nintendo turf! No point pretending it isn't a competition under current circumstances.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

I love how classy Iwata is. I love my PS3, but Sony as a company just always finds a way to seem douchey, regardless of the subject matter they're speaking on. There's always a thinly-veiled dig, instead of Iwata just making an honest statement, no strings/passive aggression.

There's a reason I spend so much more money on Nintendo products than Sony...I own 8 or so PS3 games (non-download), as opposed to around 30 Wii games...possibly more if I sat down to think. The company just commands respect, and I love that about them.

Trisjedi

Trisjedi said:

@Swerd: I completely agree, he does have class. You wont see him making empty challenges to Sony or Microsoft.
It's nice to hear that Nintendo isn't resting on its laurels, but I hope Nintendo's future ambitions are a little greater that the Vitality Sensor.
Here's hoping MotionPlus delivers.