Castlevania Movie Bites The Dust

Posted by Damien McFerran

The Belmont's Hollywood debut is cancelled

Although Hollywood's track record with video game adaptations has been less than impressive over the years (see Super Mario Bros. for proof) we have to admit we were a little excited about Paul W. S. Anderson's proposed Castlevania movie.

Announced back in 2005, the film was due to begin production in 2006 but things started to go amiss and Resident Evil director Anderson (who also penned the screenplay) handed over directorial duties to Sylvain White. Things were due to get started again in 2008, but there's been no news since.

Sources close to horror website Bloody-Disgusting.com have now confirmed that the film is officially dead, having failed to claw its way out of development hell.

The Castlevania series has a long and proud connection with Nintendo consoles, so instead of mourning the loss of what had the potential to be a pretty good popcorn flick, why not delve into the history books and check out Castlevania's Nintendo History with us?

[via kotaku.com]

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

I suppose making this kind of film is like getting blood from a stone. They were batty to even try, anyway.

Terra

Terra said:

I never had high hopes for this anyway. I would have liked to have seen how it played out as a movie, as I thought this would be one of the better series a film could be made from but looking back at how good previous video game films were, I lowered my hopes.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I'm personally thrilled as I saw this turning into a disaster. I'm not sure why so many of these movie insiders feel the inherent need to turn video games into movies.

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

Picking on the "Super Mario Bros movie"?
It's a good movie fun to watch & Yoshie's cute.
I even have a copy of the DVD.

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

i don't believe that anderson has any rights to make movies after he destroyed resident evil, and remade classic movie death race poorly

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@Egg Master - Yes, the RE films have been terrible, but the sad fact is they made money. :(

Objection

Objection said:

I donno. I always hate to see films cancelled. Unless they're a sequel higher than 3...

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

I actually kinda liked the first RE movie, it was entertaining and that corridor scene pretty stand-out. As for this, not a huge Castlevania fan, but it's probably for the better so another game is spared a crappy adaptation.

Fleeman

Fleeman said:

the only movie version i would like to see is an anime version and thats it

Stevie

Stevie said:

I like how they put "From the director of Resident Evil & Alien Vs Predator" on the teaser poster, is that supposed to instill faith in expectant fans?

Phalyn

Phalyn said:

I'm kind of happy, yet kind of sad.
Happy because I knew this was going to be bad, especially when the guy behind Stomp the Yard was directing it.
But I'm kind of sad because it would have been slightly cool to see my favorite franchise on the screen.
So heres a thought, lets take all (if there was any) money that the movie had in its budget, and make a decent game for the PS3, X360, and Wii