Nintendo Download: DSiWare Launch Games and Majora's Mask (EU)

Posted by Damien McFerran

DSiWare makes a splash while Link experiences a Groundhog Day

The European launch of the shiny new Nintendo DSi has predictably been accompanied by a smattering of equally shiny new DSiWare games. European gamers can choose from the following downloadable items:

If you're lucky enough to have purchased a DSi you'll notice you have 1000 free Nintendo Points to spend - which of these lovely games will get your vote?

If Nintendo's latest portable console isn't your bag, then you might like to know that The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is now available for download on the Virtual Console service at a cost of 1000 points. We reported this epic news earlier today; needless to say, this game is something of a classic and should be downloaded as soon as possible.

Needless to say we'll be putting reviews up shortly of ALL the DSiWare games launched today in due course. Keep your eyes peeled!

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Yep, the Aquite Art Style game and WarioWare Snapped are my two most-wanted DSiWare titles so I already know where my free 1000 DSi Points are going. :D

Objection

Objection said:

I need to finally beat OoT (it was right before I got serious with games) and then I'll download MM...unless I can find the compilation disc for cheap on eBay. :)

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

What a awesome update, the Virtual Console is back in business!

It's a pretty decent selection of DSiWare games for the launch too. A bit of something for everyone. I think I'll probably get CODE and WarioWare Snapped for sure.

Now where are all my European brothers? Tucked up in bed, or playing Majora's Mask I bet!! :D

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

Lucky Europe. On the DSi, couldnt care less about Majora honestly. ANyway, you guys gonna have reviews up quickly right, I mean, Paper Plane must take like, less than an hour to play.

ReZon

ReZon said:

Quite a day for Europe... I wonder if NA will get Majora's Mask as well (not that I have any money for it anyway.. the DSi, Echoes of Time, and Valkyrie Profile have depleted my resources..)

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I know how you feel ReZon. I've paid off the DSi, bought Legacy of Ys, Blue Dragon Plus, and Marble Saga and my funds are depleting quickly.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

@kaya122
Actually, all three territories get exactly five DSiWare games at launch (though instead of Code and Paper Plane, you get bite-sized versions of Master of Illusion and Brain Training-who'd have thought that Touch! Generations would come to DSiWare?)

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

Still waiting for Moving Memo...

I guess the flip book minigame in PictoChat will have to do for now.

WarioFan63

WarioFan63 said:

who'd have thought that Touch! Generations would come to DSiWare?

Elite Beat Agents Express...I can see it now!

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

That's awesome news! I can't wait to hear some first impressions on the DSi from our European friends. Not to mention find out if Nintendo corrected the problems that plagued the GCN version of Zelda.

WarioFan63

WarioFan63 said:

I'm a little anxious for next week or so. I want to see if the NA and EU/AU DSiWare Update Days Match our Wii Shop Update days. And hopefully there won't be any discrepencies with the games released between EU and AU DSiWare either!

ReZon

ReZon said:

@WarioFan63 - the last "Wii-kly Update" press release said that starting April 6 the DSi Shop games would be added to the mix, "with new titles added every week". So I'm sure we can expect the DSiWare updates to occur on Mondays.

The games probably won't be exactly the same as EU/AU though, just like the VC/WiiWare.

WarioFan63

WarioFan63 said:

True, True, a part of me kinda thinks they might put the Nintendo Download PR out twice a week or that it might list what DSiWare games would come out later in that week or something. A part of me is also wondering if DSiWare will be weekly. But we'll see soon enough!

MickEiA

MickEiA said:

i just went on the the wii shop and when i saw majoras mask i was blown away A N64 RELEASE

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Man. First Super Punch Out!! and now Majora's Mask?! I don't wanna hear any more moping about Nintendo not caring about Europe. * Prays we get SSB first *

abe8812

abe8812 said:

@TwilightV
We'll most likely get SSB late this month for the 10 year anniversary and Europe will probably get until November for their 10 year anniversary.

Viral

Viral said:

I think that Majora's Mask isn't a big deal at all. The reason being is because it's already released on the N64 for one, and second, it's re-released on the Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition...the majority of people who've been waiting for MM could've easily purchased Zelda Collector's Edition at a fraction of the price it'd cost for Majora's Mask and still get Zelda 1, 2, and Ocarina of Time. And not to mention, if you were lucky like I said, I got mine for FREE from Nintendo just because I registered a lot of games back when I lived in America...

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

I don't foresee myself getting a DSi in the near future but I can't wait for Majora's Mask to reach the VC here. I don't care that I already own it, it's my favorite game of all-time (and, with any luck, the slowdown from the Collector's disc won't be present).

RGVEDA

RGVEDA said:

Great Update! Both, DSi and VC!

Will the Dsi Updates always be on Friday for EU and Thursday for Australia?

Omega

Omega said:

Why are DSi News still in the Virtual Console section? Shouldn't it be separated?

Omega

Omega said:

Yes, I noticed that. Let me say it in other words: Why is Majoras Mask and DSi-News together in the same article? It makes no sense to set up two separate sections on NintendoLife when the articles still contain mixed information.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Because the Nintendo Download, as it's now called, all comes together in one nice little press release. That means the news item will contain all the releases including the Virtual Console, WiiWare, and DSiWare releases. Therefore they have to span all three sections in order to show up on each one. It would be silly to write up three separate news articles for one set of releases that all come out at the same time. :)

Omega

Omega said:

I would find it better if you split the nice little package into two even nicer little packages. One for the Wii and one for the DSi. That would never be more than two articles. Then each one could be placed into its appropriate section. I think that for those who don't own the DSi (and don't want one) it is annoying that they are constantly confronted with it. (And vice versa: The DSi owners probably don't want to hear anything about WiiWare or VC.)

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Well you'd have to split it into 3 parts then to be fair. Because there are those here who have already expressed a disinterest in having the WiiWare releases lumped in with the Virtual Console releases and vice-versa. It's a no-win situation really because if we did split it up into various parts, there would be plenty of people that would gripe about that as well. As the saying goes, people are never truly happy unless they've got something to bitch about. :D

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

Well, at least we get something after the complete letdown that was WiiWare lately.

Omega

Omega said:

@Corbie: I would like it if you split the Nintendo Download into three different articles. But this is only my opinion. Perhaps a vote on this site might help to clarify what is most desired. Can you set up a vote like the one on the GameFAQs homepage?

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

Omega - This new system makes it a lot easier for us to maintain the site and keep on top of other exciting stuff like news, previews, features, interviews and reviews.

I'm sure having all the Nintendo Download information in one news post isn't a massive problem. Just skip the bits you're not interested in. :)

Terra

Terra said:

Good update, although i probably won't buy any of it. There's nothing that i really want for the DSiWare and i have Majora's Mask on the original N64 cartridge, so pass on these. I didn't see the press release about the game until today, so i'm a bit surprised to see it so soon, especially since we don't have SSB yet.

slangman

slangman said:

A fantastic update. Not intreasted in DSiware since I don't want to buy a DSi, but I am glad Majora's Mask came out so quickly over here. Although I already own the N64 version, so I will have to pass for now at least.

Ratengo

Ratengo said:

Japan will be getting an amazing update with SEVEN games next week!!! :o

Virtual Console:
Zelda no Densetsu: Mujura no Kamen (Majora's Mask)
Cosmo Gang the Puzzle
Space Invaders

WiiWare:
Kiken Kuuiki (Evasive Space in NA)
Minna de Taisen Puzzle: Shanghai Wii
Puzzle Bobble Wii
Takahashi Meijin no Bouken Jima Wii (Adventure Island: The Beginning)

YAY for Puzzle Bobble Wii and Adventure Island! I'm a proud JP-Wii owner. Thanks a lot, Nintendo...!!! :D

RGVEDA

RGVEDA said:

For how long will the DSi Browser be free? Only half a year, like on the Wii, or forever?

Bendover83

Bendover83 said:

So if Europe and Japan get Majora's Mask already then that means...we'll get it a year from now.
Actually we should get it this month. Next week or for number 300. If we get Majora's Mask next week or this month I'd doubt it if we get SSB on the 27th. Two N64 games in one month, that's unheard of isn't it.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I finally register on the site! It was a great site before and is even better one now! Well done people!

Anyway, I think I'll be going for art style d-code, warioware snapped and the free opera web browser. A little disappointed not see moving notepad/memo and Dr Mario DSi (I have the wiiware version; we are addicts in our household!). When is the next update by the way? Also, is there any SD card playability (that question may be a stupid one).

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

I don't think the US will get Majora's Mask soon - Remember that Japan got Super Smash Bros. on VC in January because they got Brawl in January the year before. The US got Brawl in April, so it's very likely you'll get SSB this month instead. Europe didn't get Brawl until June, so Majora's Mask is probably just meant to fill the gap.

Ratengo

Ratengo said:

@Drake:

You better to prepare for SSB to arrive around November 19 instead...! Japan got the game a decade after its orginal release in January and so for NA too, I think (SSB was released there on April 26, 1999). However, I'm hoping that NA doesn't get Majoras Mask on VC until after SSB is released here. Fair deal, isn't it? But... can you then imagine the massive American complaints here all the way until late November, hehe...? ;)

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

I'm really happy for you guys. I got a good feeling that I'm right about the VC Releases improving starting this Monday....

HOT-ROD

HOT-ROD said:

This a***** stole my majora's mask game from me about a year after it came out on N64. I beat everything there was to beat, and I was just about to get the mask that gets Deiti Link, then the game was gone forever.
Haven't played it since, so I will be buying Majora for sure when it releases in US.

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

Anyway, I'll wait for some reviews to make sure I grab DSiWare that's worth it.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Well, I've played through Warioware snapped and I am glad to report barring a few very minor recognition issues its a real blast, especially for 500 points. It hilarious in some places as well. I'm not enjoying d-code as much as I thought I would, but I've only had a couple of goes. I'm enjoying messing around with the dsi camera as well. The family pretty much agree with my analysis of all this too, lol.

Outrunner

Outrunner said:

Hey guy's! I'm here on my DSi. It's great! Although I'm a little disappointed we don't have the little animation tool... Warioware is great though. Making yourself look like a tool is fun! :p

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I read that its now GB £9 for 1000 points whereas before it used to be £7. I haven't been able to check - is this true?

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

The DSi shop is £9 for 1000 points (I want to know the Europe price as they've seen Nintendo points cards price go up) but from what I can currently hear the Wii shop is £7 for 1000 points.

Codestorm (probably best not to trust them or Nintendo UK in general*) said on the 2nd to Sean.Aaron there were no plans to change the price of Wii Points.

I'm not sure if to believe it. Why price hike DSi points when DSiWare is the one that needs to be sold to people? Surley Wii Points will follow and they can play the sterling depreciation card on people...

*-Remember the classic "There are aboslutely no plans whatsoever to redesign the DS" day after DS Lite is shown to the world :(

motang

motang said:

Glad to see that Opera Browser is free...one more day of waiting for us in the US!

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

THat's very surprising that Europe actually gets something before EVERYONE else! :) Go Majora's Mask!