Modern Games Get a NES Makeover

Posted by Damien McFerran

Gears of War 2 on the humble NES? You wish

Imagine if video game console technology stopped at the NES and never progressed to the 3D powerhouses we have today.

A scary thought, perhaps?

Not for the people at video game comedy site the-minusworld (yes, that is how it’s spelt); they’ve posted up some fake box art for some seriously cool ‘modern NES classics’ such as Dead Space, KillZone 2 and Call of Duty.

Check out the complete gallery here.

You might also want to check out the site's excellent Atari 2600 cover fakes, too.

Here’s a few of our personal faves from the NES range:

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

[via kotaku.com]

CowLaunch

CowLaunch said:

These are so cool, I'd like to have the Mario Kart one as a t-shirt or something. I think the Animal Crossing picture looks like a patchwork drawing.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I love these too. Ahhh brings back the memories of the good ole NES days when I spent every penny I had on NES games.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

This is really good. I would love to try Animal Crossing in 8-bit graphics. And I think Mario Kart would look better than that box shot.

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

Actually, the software pirates made a Mario Kart motorcycle type game for the NES. They even made Kart Fighter... which is actually kinda good, for being a pirate.

jncorp

jncorp said:

That is quite awesome. I think they would make awesome tshirts as well. Maybe this can serve as inspiration for Nintendo and others to make 8bit sequels to some of their franchises, as Capcom did with MegaMan.

Quimby

Quimby said:

Thats sweet! I have been bored recently so I thinks I might try my hand at making some deliberately retro games and see if I can make them sweet while sticking fairly close too an imagined NES's capabilities.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

Awesome! Mario Kart looks pretty bad, but all the other ones are very cool. I'd love to play an 8-bit version of Animal Crossing and a top-down shooter version of Gears of War. :)

SilentJ

SilentJ said:

Those all look really cool! I was going to recommend they do Little Big Planet & Fallout 3 but that was before checking the link. They did a great job! Portal looks like it would have actually been a pretty cool Atari game.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Hahaha, hilarious!

My mother and father denied me a Nintendo for years when I was growing up :-( My obsession with Nintendo started in 2002 - We were cleaning out the garage, and at the Tender age of 21, I uncovered a Vintage Nintendo system, still in the original box - I made a little shopping visit to Game-X-Change and went berserk buying NES games - So here I am 7 years and 5 consoles later :D

Rad-RKR

Rad-RKR said:

ha, ha, Dead Space on NES! Like that would have really happened. This article is great stuff, by the way.

stubag

stubag said:

Absolutely awesone stuff, May try and get a T-shirt made up just as CowLaunch suggested. Which image to use though?

AlphaNerd01

AlphaNerd01 said:

So many people are making designs in old-Nintendo style box art. I saw a John Cena t-shirt today in this type of design. Weird.

Bazly

Bazly said:

The funny part is, I would seriously play these, no hesitation. NES Sports? Hells yes I would play that. I can imagine the controls now...