US VC Releases - 9th June - NES Import Duo

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

If you've been pining for some more imports in the US, you're in luck today - There's two of them. You might think one of them was in fact released outside Japan, but the contrary is true - It, surprisingly, never was.

That game is Dig Dug, the arcade game from Namco where you control "Dig Dug" (Later officially named Taizo Hori), a digger tunneling his way through the earth in order to eliminate the monsters lurking underneath its soil. He can do this by either dropping rocks on them or by inflating them until they pop. Dig Dug is 600 points because of import costs.

The other import is Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa. If you've managed to sample some of Konami's Parodius series you might know the titular character Upa - He appears in a few of them as playable character. Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa is a fun little platformer and well worth a look. It was originally released on the Famicom Disk System, then ported to the regular Famicom a few years later - This is the disk version. It costs 600 points.

In the WiiWare section of the Wii Shop, you will be able to download My Pokemon Ranch later today. Visit WiiWare World for more info.

Related Games

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Unexpected. Its cool that VC is becoming home to some obscure Japanese games like BMUP. I really expected Megnetica Twist today too. Probably next week, huh? I wonder when Samurai Shodown and Burning Fight will come to the U.S. too...

MVP

MVP said:

I do not know this two games, but the second one looks good, I hope it come to the European VC soon!!

slangman

slangman said:

Nice suprise. Finally you americans are getting proper games that you were lacking for ages.

BB_Sting

BB_Sting said:

Hmm, well I've never heard of these games before, but they do look kinda interesting.They probably won't get downloaded by as many people as Mother would though. Mother is the only import that has the potential to be downloaded en masse.

North99

North99 said:

I like these tacky little surprises this week. Sure, it isn't Earthbound, but they'll win some of my money this week for these ones. No complaints ..

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

good week,
but i don't have any Wii points anyway.
at least is looks like US VC releases are slowly getting better,
but hopefully a good VC doesn't lead to a lackluster WiiWare.

Jogurt_the_Yogurt

Jogurt_the_Yogurt said:

Interesting week. I don't mind it one bit! I like how babies expect EarthBound and SMRPG every week now that they've been announced.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

@ Jogurt the Yogurt-
well actually you're the first person on this news article to bring up SMRPG or Earthbound :p
besides north99 but he's not complaining.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

People may have played Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa without realising it. Pirated copies did make it over to America where it was renamed Mario Baby (I know this is said in the comments for Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa).

Shame it'll be a few months until Europe get this (since are imports on en-masse and we just had the import month :( )

Mother is the only import that has the potential to be downloaded en masse.
Moreso than Super Mario Bros: The lost levels (or in the case of Europe the lost Wii Shop title) and Sin and Punishment? I forgot, Mother fans will gift an average of 8.65 copies each inflating the sales figure hugely (and I would gladly accept :P if I didn't have a PAL Wii...)

DJ_Philanegro

DJ_Philanegro said:

What? No Earthbound? Lame. Naw, I'm kidding. (Although I wouldn't mind getting Earthbound...)

Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa (which I had to copy/paste) looks like a lot of fun. It kinda figures since it was made by Konami, after all. And with My Pokemon Ranch on the WW side of things, you can't go wrong. Good day for VCs for a bad night for me - I'd say that's a fair deal. =)

MrPoo6321

MrPoo6321 said:

I already have Dig-Dug on Namco Museum for the GBA. That's wierd that Nintendo chose to release the version of the game that never came to the U.S. I used to play Dig-Dug on an arcade machine in the game room at this christian basketball hall when I was a kid.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Well what other versions of Dig Dug could they have released on Virtual Console? As far as I can see on supported consoles, only Namco Museum 64 on N64 has it.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

@ NintendoBrad- games don't update until 12 pm eastern time. so another 12 minutes. :)

WitchFinder1

WitchFinder1 said:

Hmm. At least the import spigot has been turned. Now I want to see the following games in the US ASAP:
Cho Aniki
Star Parodier
Gley Lancer

Rexy

Rexy said:

My uncle has one of those plug-in-system controllers with a lot of Namco games on it, and Dig Dug was among them - fun if you just want something to goof off and do for about 10-15 minutes while taking time off from doing stuff. Never knew the NES version never got released outside Japan, so yeah ^^;

Sharecrow

Sharecrow said:

I am glad to see more imports. I don't think I'll download either of these, but I am still glad to see them made available.

I didn't realize Dig Dug wasn't released in the US either. Learn something new every day....

dualj

dualj said:

Digdug is awesome! my opinion about rpgs mario and earthbound, personally I would rather have earthbound than super mario rpg but that is only because I have a cart of mario rpg (and the game can be beaten in 8 hrs or less).

lockelocke

lockelocke said:

Great update, a little spice in the world of usually predictable and less than exciting VC releases.

Kevin

Kevin said:

On a side note, will we ever be able to experience the commodore 64?

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Surprisingly good considering Pokemon Ranch was released today as well. I thought for sure Nintendo would use it as an excuse to give us some throw away VC titles but these are actually decent. Color me shocked, but also a soon to be owner of Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa.

ChocoDK

ChocoDK said:

@Objection_Blaster: I know how you feel. When I wanted Harvest Moon I was 100 points short and got a Wii Points card. Now I have 1900 points sitting on my Wii.

On Topic: Good week for imports and nice to see a solid week. Interesting to see Pokemon Ranch was released even though it was expected to come out soon.

Zeroagean

Zeroagean said:

Lol this has nothing to do with the games that come out but i would like to get smash bros for the N64 to download that would be the best ever

Madmanonfire

Madmanonfire said:

Interesting. According to some news I read, Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa was released for Japan last week. Now, a week later, it has been released for US. It may be possible that, when Japan gets SMRPG, the US may get SMRPG in the following week. This is just wishful thinking, but you never know. It could happen.

Rexy

Rexy said:

Don't count on it. Just because close releases happen once doesn't mean that it'll happen then. I mean, why did I have to wait a few months after you guys received Puyo Puyo 2 so I can finally look into it myself?

will1

will1 said:

OMG!!! Two crappy games this week is better then none i guess...
game shout- 1) Metal gear, 2) G13 Mafat conspiracy... I am American and I want american'ish games. (cough, cough, Gunsmoke!)

Rexy

Rexy said:

You what? What's crappy about Dig Dug? And from what I heard, Bio Miracle seems to be a fun imported platformer. They may not be your cup of tea, true, but by no means they should be referred to as "crappy" just because you feel like it.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa actually sounds like a pretty fun game. I'll have to download it when I get the chance.

Sharecrow

Sharecrow said:

@will - Mafat Conspiracy would be a great release. I wonder if we'll ever see it....I guess most would think it is obscure, so maybe unless there are licensing issues :) I played and beat G13 Top Secret Episode and would love to spend some time going through Mafat Conspiracy.

Gonz

Gonz said:

I'd normally be bummed, but it is an import set, so I'll just sit here, smile, and nod.

Import support by Nintendo gives me hope that they're going to wow up with some more genuinely good JP-only SNES and TG16 games in the future.