US VC Releases - 7th January - StarTropics

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

Two cult classics for the US today. First is StarTropics, the first in an (unfortunately) dead Nintendo series which spanned only two games. The game borrows heavily from Zelda, but is a lot more light-hearted and, according to quite a few people, more fun. The original game required a letter which came packed with the game in order to progress at one point - If anybody who played the game on NES can download it on VC and see for us how they fixed this, it would be appreciated.

King of Fighters fans in the US can FINALLY stop moaning about not getting The King of Fighters '94 while Europe and Japan have had it for a while. This is also the first in a series, except this one is still going to this day. The game is one of the first fighting games to feature characters from multiple franchises.

Two great games for the US. If you're a Nintendo fan you owe it to yourself to play StarTropics, it doesn't have a lot of fans for nothing!

Related Games

Josh

Josh said:

Woo hoo! I've always wanted to play StarTropics! I'd reccomend everyone check out the Happy Video Game Nerd's review of it on YouTube:

KoF '94 is a maybe. I've never played a KoF game before...

Nicely done Nintendo, I appreciate the more obscure, but excellent titles. Ah, the underrated classics of old...

Zweck36

Zweck36 said:

woo hoo finally I get KOF AND the legendary Star Tropics. I hope Europe is treated to this one on Friday!

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Yes. Fighting game fans should download KoF94. Its easily as good as or maybe even slightly better than Street Fighter II Turbo. KoF's sequels are better than the first game but we won't be seeing them for a while so you may as well play KoF94 until they come out.

I never played Star Tropics but when it comes out over here I will.

If I was an American, I'd be downloading both games today, thats what I call a good week even if there are just two games.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Only two new games this week? I thought we always got three. Good games, though I still own the Star Tropics cartridge.

ouenben

ouenben said:

Damn I really wanted Harvest moon today :(
Most PALers were complaining about it too. spoilt bunch

__Kyle

Kyle said:

I will say I'm not currently interested in these two games but I am happy for the many many people who are finally getting them. I know they've been highly requested games for some time now.

__Crimson

Crimson said:

OH MAN THATS AWESOME!
I just downloaded StarTropics.
Nintendo included a virtual version of the letter.
With a "Add water" button that will reveal the code.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

StarTropics!!! I'll be downloading this as soon as I buy a points card on Wednesday. I actually still have the infamous letter in my house. I don't know if it'll be included in the download, but in case it's not and anybody is curious, here it is:

Mike- I found some strange cyphers in my last voyage. Since then, someone has been watching me. I put a tiny transmitter in my shoe. It's frequency is 747 Megahertz. Perhaps I worry too much, but better to be safe.

Anyway, it's an awesome (albeit hard) game that I encourage everyone to download.

retro_gammer79

retro_gammer79 said:

THANK YOU NINTENDO!!!! I am sooooooooo happy the US gets KOF 94. Tropics is a huge treat!!! I totally loved that game and never got to finish it!!!!

__junkeR

junkeR said:

I put an additional amount of points in my account so I could purchase Harvest Moon. I was planning on it coming out today :( !

My week is ruined!

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

No, Ouenben - we were complaining that it was the only game released last week not that Harvest Moon was a bad game.

said:

instead of jabbin again about bad EU releases ....
i hope we get this next friday , because i never played Star topics before

said:

Spoilt bunch?
we only got one game echt past 2 weeks
how can we be spoiled?

it's time for EU NINTENDO To do their jobs right
or i'll send in my resumé :p

__Bromeus

Bromeus said:

For the Virtual Console release, the letter is included in digital form with an image of a letter and a bucket of water at the bottom. When the player clicks on one of the images, the letter dips into the bucket and the code is revealed

Source Wikipedia

AlphaNerd01

AlphaNerd01 said:

True story: I finally broke down and bought a copy of StarTropics. It was only 6 bucks, and it was in mint condition, but jeez. That is the definition of irony.

Great games today! I'd be surprised if any one finds any reason to complain this week.

Viral

Viral said:

Personally, I think that Nintendo in Europe will take the cue and start releasing some major games soon. I just bought some Wii points and I will finally be shelling out more money on the VC now that I've finished my two huge games...Umbrella Chronicles and Mario Galaxy. Maybe they should lower VC game costs because it'd be sweet to get 1 Nintendo game for 400 points...then I could get 5 games for the cost of 14.99 pounds. :(Basically 30 dollars in America!)

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I say Master System games should be 400 points. But looking through lists, there aren't really that many great Master System games.

learn_japanese_ds

learn_japanese_ds said:

I am really bummed out that we only got two games this week. This must be the first time it's ever happened to the US. I hope that it doesn't mean that there are less games on the way...

__Josh

Josh said:

Good games...but I was really looking forward to Harvest Moon! Ah well...someday....lol

lavkian

lavkian said:

Fantastic. Now hopefully they bust out StarTropics 2, they each get 1 million downloads and they make a third one.

ChocoDK

ChocoDK said:

Well I am not interested in any of these games, although I want to try out StarTropics. But I am happy for everybody else because they finally got the games they wanted. Especially to all the King of Fighters '94 fans.

Sharecrow

Sharecrow said:

If they actually made a Startropics 3, that would totally make my day. It's a worthy series....unfortunate that they stopped making them so quickly....

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

LJDS, there was that one week where you got only Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

And lavkian, I agree they should make a third one. But it would probably be on the DS.

__Kyle

Kyle said:

Bass X - Ah, I remember that week... That was my second download. It was right after I noticed this site and the decision was instantaneous. I love that game. I just sit there and stare at the screen in awe. Ah, big screen Civ... how I love thee.