Wii Forum

Topic: Miyamoto Roundtable Live Blog

Showing 61 to 72 of 72

AuthorMessage
Avatar

pixelman

61. Posted:

Blah blah blah. The whole fun of the game is beating up or helping a couple friends that are sitting right next to you. If you're playing against a dude halfway across the world, it's just not the same - even with Wii Speak.

However, I do agree Miyamoto's response was utterly unbelievable. Metroid Prime Hunters could handle 4 player online, so there's no reason that a Wii game couldn't do the same for a less graphically intense game.

I made Kid Tripp! PocketGamer gave it a 9 out of 10! You should totally buy it now!
[16:39] BadKitty: you trying to steal stuff from me? u_u
[16:41] kribs: don't worry Emmy, even if poix tried to steal something from you, he wouldn't finish stealing it

3DS Friend Code: 1123-6536-5321 | Nintendo Network ID: pixelpowa | Twitter: thatpixelguy

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

62. Posted:

I agree with Super Pixel Man. Plus, no one used to complain about lack of online back in the day (or the fact that we had to walk a mile in the snow barefoot -- or in my case, naked, but we all make bad choices). We had never dreamed of such a feature, and you know what? We found someone to play with. Seriously, it is not that hard. I just don't understand the need for online in every game, though I admit it is a nice feature to have as a back-up. Local should always come first, though.

And Chicken Brutus's explanation is probably the most accurate. Nintendo realizes their Wi-Fi connection sucks, so it'd be a huge mistake to have a precision platformer on such a service.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CowLaunch

63. Posted:

If I had two systems and one had a version of a game with online and the other didn't, then I'd get the former. Other than that I don't see it as an issue.

CowLaunch

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chatham

64. Posted:

weirdadam wrote:

Wahaha, I feel avenged. So many people said I was ridiculous for wanting offline multiplayer in Conduit, and now there is no online at all for NSMB. Looks like the joke's on you guys!

I'm going to be nice later, I promise. Let me have my moment. We people with offline video game playing friends get so little in this frighteningly isolation-friendly digital age.

EDIT: But seriously, I second the notion that it's BS. It doesn't bother me as I don't like playing games online much, but I think most multiplayer games should have the option of online AND offline. I'm continually annoyed that there's no offline play in so many games, so I understand the frustration this news brings.

@Token Girl
The trailer shows multiple levels.

I understand your thoughts on trying to make a game have local multiplayer first and foremost. But many of the games being released (even for 360/PS3) cannot handle split-screen because of the massive amount of power already going into the graphics engine (The Conduit, The Grinder, and COD included). But with NSMBW, it seems ridiculous that a 2.5-D Mario title can't even have a basic online mode! Brawl had online (sure only private matches work, but it looks like a similar game engine).

Edited on by Chatham

Email: mallrat425@hotmail.com
PSN Name: EricChatham
Wii FC: 1599-5101-5844-5527
Too many codes to list... E-mail me, add me, and then we'll go from there...
The #2 hookadikka
I have WiiSpeak, The Conduit, COD, All GH/RB, and pretty much everything else online...

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

65. Posted:

Brawl had online, yes, but it hardly works. Have you ever missed a ledge because of just a slit second of lag? And that's not throughout the whole match. Much of the match (if you don't suck, and I know you don't) is spent safely on a platform. But Mario is all about timing jumps. I think it would be a horrible mess if they tried it. Nintendo is no stranger to online, either. They put Brawl, Mario Kart, etc. So if they aren't putting it online, it's for a reason, and I would bet anything that lag vs. jumping accuracy is the reason.

It could also be that they rushed it for holiday season, but I doubt that since Nintendo shouldn't need much time to implement online. They are practiced at it. It would be a good enough reason for me, though. They need a big title for holiday, and this looks very promising.

Also, about other games that offer only online, I'm sorry but I don't buy it. With some effort they could scale back the graphics and background elements to make it playable splitscreens. Some developers do it. Some don't. Most Xbox owners seem satisfied with online only, and fine, that's their prerogative. I don't own the system. But the Wii is a descendant of the N64, aka The Fun Machine. The popularity of party games indicates that people like to play together, so developers need to go the extra mile to ensure local play is possible. Fun factor should precede graphics, always. These are games after all, and games are about having fun, not necessarily looking pretty.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CowLaunch

66. Posted:

Fun before pretty. Good outlook for life generally I reckon.

CowLaunch

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chatham

67. Posted:

@Adam
I see your point, the other day when we were playing Brawl my controller felt a half-second off.

But as far as next-gen games, I have no argument that the Wii is the "Fun Machine 5000" and should have title focus first and foremost on local multiplayer... However, when you are a developer like Infinity Ward or Retro Studios... Dumbing down the graphics so it can be duplicated 4 seperate times (most of these scenarios I describe are FPSes) on one screen with no frame issues is a real challenge. Trust me, I've seen early Alpha and Beta SKUs of games like that where they TRIED to push for a 4-player splitscreen... And as a result the title was sent back to the developers from quality control. Devs like to play it safe, or I ruin their lives by making them work it out again and again and again!

Email: mallrat425@hotmail.com
PSN Name: EricChatham
Wii FC: 1599-5101-5844-5527
Too many codes to list... E-mail me, add me, and then we'll go from there...
The #2 hookadikka
I have WiiSpeak, The Conduit, COD, All GH/RB, and pretty much everything else online...

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Knux

68. Posted:

The only Wii game that handles Wi-Fi multiplayer without lag is Mario Kart Wii. But,I'm just glad we are going to get a new 2D Mario on a console,so this is still a must-buy for me. :D

supersonic1990z@hushmail.com Twitter Wii FC: 4579-0293-6760-7162 [10:25] DarkwingLz: D**mit Knux, tell Sony to release Vita TV here >:[

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4499-6603 | Nintendo Network ID: Knux1990 | Twitter: Knux1990

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chatham

69. Posted:

SuperSonic1990 wrote:

The only Wii game that handles Wi-Fi multiplayer without lag is Mario Kart Wii. But,I'm just glad we are going to get a new 2D Mario on a console,so this is still a must-buy for me. :D

Obviously you don't play alot of WFC games. All these games have never lagged on me since I bought them.

Rock Band 2
Mario Kart Wii
Tetris Party
Dr. Mario Online Rx
Pool Revolution: Cue Sports
Texas Hold 'Em
Onslaught
Endless Ocean
NiGHTS

And MK has lag, they just use a very clever networking system so you rarely notice it. Players will "fade-in and out" from view during connection discrepancies... Or sometimes you'll cross the finish line with a guy RIGHT behind you, only to have him take your spot anyways on the board. But this kind of design prevent frame drops, so yeah, I would still consider it a "lag free" game as I very rarely every see the things I've described.

Edited on by Chatham

Email: mallrat425@hotmail.com
PSN Name: EricChatham
Wii FC: 1599-5101-5844-5527
Too many codes to list... E-mail me, add me, and then we'll go from there...
The #2 hookadikka
I have WiiSpeak, The Conduit, COD, All GH/RB, and pretty much everything else online...

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

70. Posted:

They could always have the graphics scaled back only for multiplayer. I'm no programmer, but I would think it would be simple enough to have a routine where certain textures and backgrounds are just not populated during splitscreen play.

Still, there are plenty of single-player games that look gorgeous. Galaxy and Prime 3 spring to mind. These developers should put their graphical energies into these types of games. Games that focus on multi-player should focus on... well, multi-player -- not graphics. If I am playing a shooter online, I am not looking at the stars in the sky. I am just looking for a face that I can put a bullet in. I don't care if it's pretty because I'm about to make it a lot uglier. There isn't time enough to notice or care how pretty a game is when you're in an intense competition.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CowLaunch

71. Posted:

weirdadam wrote:

They could always have the graphics scaled back only for multiplayer. I'm no programmer, but I would think it would be simple enough to have a routine where certain textures and backgrounds are just not populated during splitscreen play.

Makes sense, before online there were sometimes large differences in graphics between single and multiplayer, like in Lylat Wars.

CowLaunch

AuthorMessage
Avatar

astarisborn94

72. Posted:

SuperSonic1990 wrote:

slambert215 wrote:

I'm watching the video right now. In the levels, there's not much going on at all. The players moving, some moving terrain, and the occasional enemy or power-up. Nintendo is BS'ing with the "not enough power" They just dropped the ball on this one.

This is the first 2D Mario game on a console since Super Mario World and you are still complaining!? What's wrong with you!?

Actually, this is NOT a 2D game. It's actually 2.5D. It's 2D with 3D visuals.

astarisborn94