Forums

Topic: 428: Fūsa Sareta Shibuya de

Posts 1 to 6 of 6

HolyMackerel

Not sure if any of you have heard of this game, 428: In a Blockaded Shibuya (released for Wii, PS3 and PSP). It's a Japanese mystery visual novel which tells the story of 5 people trapped in Shibuya. It uses live action video, still images and text to present the story, which is unusual for this day and age. It really sounds interesting and I wish there was an English release, but I highly doubt that would ever happen.

Untitled

Opening video:
[youtube:9NLEW76ohSU]

If you're interested in how the game works and a bit of its story, check out this quote from Wikipedia:

Wikipedia wrote:

428 is a visual novel adventure game where players take part in events from the perspectives of multiple protagonists, all acting in parallel with no knowledge of each other. Set in the modern Japanese city of Shibuya, Tokyo, the characters are involved in a mystery that cannot be solved without their interactions, and the plot is advanced by following clues found within the game's text and accompanying video sequences and making decisions on which path each protagonist should follow. Depending on the player's choices, a number of new scenarios become available, which ultimately lead to different outcomes and endings.

The game differs significantly from other sound novel / visual novel games in that players read through and switch between multiple stories that take place in the same timeframe, each seen from a different character's point of view. Decisions made in one character's story can inadvertently affect the story of another character in unforeseen ways. The format can be compared to films such as Pulp Fiction, Magnolia or Vantage Point.

For instance, the game opens with a detective (protagonist #1) waiting for a kidnapper to pick up the ransom money, which is being carried by a girl. Another character, a young man out for a walk (protagonist #2), happens to encounter the scene. Protagonist #2 now has a choice to approach the ransom-carrying girl or not; If he approaches, his story reaches a dead end by being wrongfully arrested, but not only that, the detective's story also reaches a dead end by making the wrongful arrest.

The player's role is to figure out whose actions are affecting whom, and find the right choices to lead every protagonist to the conclusions of their storylines. The game offers a time chart screen where the events of all the protagonists' stories are listed in chronological order.

I would really love to play this, and even though I could import it I can't understand a shred of Japanese. I doubt it would even be taken on by any fan translation groups because it's on the Wii. :/ Apparently, even though it's a mystery game with a complex plot, it's got a fair bit of humour, and some of the "bad" endings are hilarious.

Also, for what it's worth, 428 got a 40/40 score from Famitsu.

Edited on by HolyMackerel

HolyMackerel

Kingbuilder

Yeah, I heard about this game. I'm completely surprised that someone would give an interactive "Choose you fate" video game a perfect score. Made by Sega, nonetheless.

“The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall.” - "Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them."

Raylax

Sounds awesome. I need to learn me some Japanese. ...And get an import Wii. ...And import this game. Yeah, OK, looks like I'm not gonna play it xD
The localisation chances on this are practically zero. Bah.

Raylax

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1400-0117 | Nintendo Network ID: RaylaxKai

Hokori

I really want this game, it got a 40 from famitsu, so you know its good

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

Kolzig

Sorry for bring up a really old thread, but it's such a shame that his 40/40 Famitsu reviewed game never got the chance to be released outside of Japan.

I would love to play this game with english subtitles, shame there is no fan subtitled version like there is for the excellent Fatal Frame 4.

Nintendo Network ID: Kolzig

RancidVomit86

HolyMackerel wrote:

It really sounds interesting and I wish there was an English release, but I highly doubt that would ever happen.

Don't doubt the power of the independent community. In a few years we will probably see a fan made English translation.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.