Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X

Posts 4,621 to 4,640 of 1

EvilLucario

Lol I defend X on many levels, but story and characters are not its strong suit compared to 1 or 2.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Dezzy

SKTTR wrote:

Also, Xenoblade X having a weaker story is a myth. I completed all three Xenoblade's and it has the strongest story by far. It's even relatable and feels realistic. Realism is rarely found in today's crazy fantasy RPG stories.

Yeah I think this had a really good story. The main difference is that XC1 just felt more epic because of its longer story and having it span a long series of different environments. It felt like going on a great journey.

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

SKTTR

Tsurii wrote:

I don't agree with @kkslider5552000 's points myself but they're all valid criticisms because not everyone feels like playing a game for 200 hours just to "get" everything in the story. And that's an issue with all Xenoblade games bar Torna (which is DLC before being a standalone game, even tho it works really well as such)

You think investing 200 hours to get "everything" is an issue? Of the whole series?

Let me tell you that I wouldn't want it any other way. I only buy Xenoblade games because they are 200+ hours long. If they weren't that big I wouldn't be interested in the series. I want my RPGs long and epic!
And let me tell you that I see value in it, having such a long and content-rich game for a relatively small cost.

If you don't feel like playing for 200 hours why are you here? Go away man! You're totally wasting your time.

I recommend you to play visual novels. Or watch a movie. Or read a book. Then you have big stories that will be over in a couple of hours. Watch this game on YouTube and skip all the game(play) parts! Better yet, read the story (someone has posted a good summary somewhere). Do what you want but stay away from huge RPGs! Stay away from the Xenoblade series. It's the wrong game for you guys and you should spare us your ridiculous criticism. Don't sell it to me like it's valid. It's not the game's fault that you have no time or patience.

Edited on by SKTTR

backloggery.com/SKTTR

Tsurii

@SKTTR I feel like I'm missing something about your posts right about now...lel
Think I might agree with stuff you said after all and that my brain is mush atm or something

I never said I mind the games being long as heck btw. I spent 315h on XC2, about as much on X and probably half on 1 (altho I do want to replay that soonish). I love how much you get out of Xenoblade but I fully understand why a ton of people are put off by that. Heck, I can't stand certain games being only about half as long as Xenoblade because I can't get into them and it feels like they're too long, I'm being a massive hypocrite there, but XC's gameplay and writing keeps me glued to the controller despite me otherwise not enjoying games that are that long to "beat" (completely fine with grinding ad nauseam in other games, like MH or Diablo, as well, I think I'm just a dumbass lel)

That said, I think X is by far the strongest in the series as far as writing goes. I also think XC1 is much, much more trope-y and "generic" than XC2 tho, so it might be better to ignore me there
(do we at least all agree that Torna blows all three out of the water? It's short as heck but oh-so-sweet)

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

Ralizah

Of what I played of XCX, I liked the plot well enough, but the characters were... either obnoxious or forgettable. That's not a huge issue, though: the setting, and exploring said setting, was clearly more of a focus, and it mostly shines in that regard.

Ralizah

EvilLucario

Gonna start by saying X is my favorite of the three, but it's due to the world and gameplay. Story? Well it's very unfinished. The sidequests help, but the big ones are haphazardly spread across different characters. Affinity missions are kinda decent, but they don't do enough for me to REALLY care about any character, and I really just have a lot of indifference to all the characters. Although Tatsu sucks.

I still like the characters enough but the affinity missions aren't enough tbh.

X is really only greatly saved due to the fantastic world and combat that's the best of the entire series.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

Hahahaha oh wow calling me out as if I didn't play the game.

Wow. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. Bold choice there, Cotton, let's see how it plays out!

That would be insulting if it wasn't so hilarious. First of all, if you want to actually notice the egg on your face, you might want to look at the very first post of this very thread.

But more importantly, I put 140 hours or so into the game. Which is more than I put into the original Xenoblade, and at the very least is in my top 20 most played games because of that. While I did play it quite a bit when it came out, most of that time was played in 2017, trying to do as much of the game as possible before I got into BOTW. And there were just so many times where all the amazing things the game did were undercut by some unnecessary bs. The game has some of the best combat and world of the entire genre, bar-none, and some great sidequests. But there are also so many times where the difficulty curve sucked (level numbers have never felt more useless as an indicator of difficulty) or an unfairly difficult enemy or group of enemies will ruin everything. Item management was a nightmare. The game sucked at teaching you a good chunk of borderline necessary info. It fixed some elements of side content in the original and inexplicably made other parts worse (AFFINITY!!!!!). Huge chunks of my playtime was just a slow crawl, for various reasons. The original game was smart enough to focus on an actual story, because for as enjoyable as the rest of the game was, there were still moments of frustration when trying to do certain side content. So even though X had better sidequests, they also had more bs to deal with while making them the entire real focus.

Also I haaaaaaaaaaaaaate how many areas you visit just to fill a quota for "amount of area completed" because that's the only way to unlock certain main story quests (which they themselves unlock sidequests for the area). There are so many areas on the continents that are amazing but you are introduced to them just because you need to fill a quota for a nothing quest, instead of using the better sidequests to highlight the amazing look of everything. It's so backwards and baffling. And you can do that to some degree in the original, but it doesn't actively encourage you like in X.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

SuperLuigi111

My friend let me borrow this game. Haven't played it much yet, but I'm disappointed at how combat is done automatically, you don't get to manually fire your gun. The graphics are nice though.

SuperLuigi111

Cobalt

@SuperLuigi111 That's why ! Trust me, take your time to understand how it works and how fantastic the system is... and then you'll get an awesome experience...

Cobalt

Darknyht

@SuperLuigi111 Xenoblade Chronicles X handles combat like most MMOs in that you auto-attack and your control is over the management of special arts (and their cool downs) that inflict Melee/Range Damage, Buff, Debuff, and Special Auras. The challenge of the game is in timing the Arts to chain together either with yourself or your teammates to increase their effectiveness, and building a party of three that effectively works together in the roles of Tank/Crowd Control, Striker/DPS, and Buffer/De-buffer (there really isn't an effective healer unless you are volunteering for the role, the NPCs stink at it).

A very early example of solo chaining Assault Hammer (to inflict Topple) & Flame Grenade (which inflicts additional damage on Toppled enemies. Group chaining is responding to teammates color requests with an appropriate Art, which is more or less the primary method of healing.

Edited on by Darknyht

Darknyht

Nintendo Network ID: DarKnyht | Twitter:

SuperLuigi111

Darknyht wrote:

@SuperLuigi111 Xenoblade Chronicles X handles combat like most MMOs in that you auto-attack and your control is over the management of special arts (and their cool downs) that inflict Melee/Range Damage, Buff, Debuff, and Special Auras. The challenge of the game is in timing the Arts to chain together either with yourself or your teammates to increase their effectiveness, and building a party of three that effectively works together in the roles of Tank/Crowd Control, Striker/DPS, and Buffer/De-buffer (there really isn't an effective healer unless you are volunteering for the role, the NPCs stink at it).

A very early example of solo chaining Assault Hammer (to inflict Topple) & Flame Grenade (which inflicts additional damage on Toppled enemies. Group chaining is responding to teammates color requests with an appropriate Art, which is more or less the primary method of healing.

That's what my friend told me (that it's MMO gameplay). I guess I've never played a game like that before. I'm not sure if I'll like it, but I'll give it a try.

SuperLuigi111

Darknyht

@SuperLuigi111 Just understand that is only scratching the surface of the depth of the game. However, the game does a good job of easing you into the systems that make up combat and a lot of other things if you pay attention to the tutorials. Also Xenoblade Chronicles X is one of those rare game where reading the manual, or at least watching the survival guide videos (http://xenobladechroniclesx.nintendo.com/media/) is something I would recommend.

Darknyht

Darknyht

So to go in another direction, who is your Tank of choice? L, Lin or H.B.? As much as he makes me want to hit him, I am warming up to H.B. this time around as I am taking the time to understand his Spike Damage better, but previously I pretty much went Lin the entire time.

Darknyht

BlueOcean

After finally beating Xenoblade Chronicles I was disappointed by the gameplay. I bought the game when it launched and I have been playing it through the years. I was surprised to know it is considered one of the best RPGs ever made and I didn't want to give the series another chance. I loved the story though.

Finally, I decided to get Xenoblade Chronicles X and I already have a list of complaints but I also think that it's better than both Xenoblade Chronicles and Breath of the Wild and yes, this game has the dash in the left stick click like I wanted BotW to do. It's a switch so you just click once to dash and move both the character and the camera as in any other modern game (except BotW). You can modify the camera settings which is nice.

The main problem with this game is that when fighting I have to deal with the camera all the time so I miss tons of button prompts, that use a different button to Arts as opposed to the prequel. It's like I am playing with the camera and not with the character which sucks. I tried the targeting function but it's awful. It's like the camera system hasn't evolved at all.

The second complaint is the soundtrack. Oh boy, it's totally inappropriate to say the least. And there are no audio settings in this game so you can't turn it down (it's too loud), I barely hear the dialogues. The vocals... are not good. Then we have the typical Xenoblade annoyances like everything is more complicated that it needs to: check this terminal here for that and you don't even know there is another one for that other thing, do you? Try to explore just to realise that you can't install the probe but you can't make in-game notes about it. Just roam the same areas hoping that you have leveled up for installing probes.

But the world looks much nicer than in Xenoblade Chronicles or Breath of the Wild and there are some quality of life improvements (unfortunately not the camera) with my favourite one being the improved tracking quests system and the follow ball, it's overpowered Navi! Awesome. The battle system is less cryptic. The graphics are great (ignoring clipping) and controls are better so I feel much more immersed in this game that in Xenoblade Chronicles and I am also enjoying it more because of that and the little gameplay improvements. Oh, and Monster Hunter inspired them a bit, didn't it? It's incredible that this game doesn't use the OS RAM like BotW does and yet it looks technically better.

I think that the story is not good this far. This is the first time in a video game that I answered 'No' to 'Do you want to join us?', etc. because their reasons didn't make any sense and they are doing what they don't want the other species to do to them. So yeah, then I was forced to join although they insisted it was my decision? Then they complained about somebody attacking human beings after planning to basically kill everything else. I mean, it's a game but they didn't write it well and I didn't see the logic anywhere. The only good thing I can say about the story is that because you are just a survivor looking for survivors then it's easy to focus on the slow game progression and forget about the story, while I only beat Xenoblade Chronicles because of the story. It's nearly the opposite here. Also very annoying to read Offline all the time while playing offline, why?

These were my first impressions. I have been playing the game a lot and I found a few tricks for dealing wih the camera like using certain fighting styles that require less rotation and just using a manual camera not too close. Now my big complaint is the soundtrack that I really hate now except the instrumental songs. I turn the audio off when I am in NLA but some cut-scenes have also music with vocals that doesn't let me hear the characters (subtitles are on, obviously). The soundtrack was composed by a third-party and in my opinion it is the worst thing in this game by far.

The gameplay is complex but manual and in-game tutorials are helpful. You must read the manual and check the terminals and still there are a few things that you don't know how to use until you try, like upgrades and augments (I still haven't found a weapon where I can apply an augment) but overall the game is impressing me much: art style, combat, exploration, the GamePad maps, even the story has become an interesting one at this stage (chapter 6). It's an amazing game and I didn't expect it to be and not just that but I am enjoying it like I haven't enjoyed any other open world game before. I consider this game the best Wii U game now and that's funny because I almost did not play it at all.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

Blitzenexx

@BlueOcean: The strengths of the game don't lie in the main story IMO; what kept me playing was the exploration, all the customization you can do (I loved installing probes, mining ore, and customizing the Skells), the combat (There's a definite learning curve and ground combat is occasionally meh, but Skell combat = 🤩 ), and some of the side quests. Not all of the quests are worth writing home about, but some of the better ones let you know more about a character's...well, character, or else they tackle some dark themes like suicide, xenophobia/discrimination, murder, and even some crazy quest chains like (slight spoilers past the tags, but nothing too earth-shattering) picking a wife for a NPC or a quest line that reminds me of a certain vehicle from Back to the Future.

The main story does have a couple of curve balls to throw at you, but for the most part it's kind of generic and predictable at times. It isn't the worst storyline ever, but neither is it GotY material in the narrative department. The game actually encourages you to do other things before advancing the main story; its strengths, I would argue.

As for the music....Your complaint about the track overpowering what's being said on the screen is a common one. It's something that I adapted to, but it did still irritate me at times. Get outside of New LA when you can; since you spend a lot of time there, I agree that the tracks there (Particularly the night theme - not my type of music at all. XD) can be quite grating after awhile. Some of the tracks elsewhere in the game are much better. Noctilum is not only home to my favorite day theme, but is one of my favorite continents in the game. I still listen to some of the extended tracks from the game on YouTube at work sometimes.

I'm curious to know where you're at in the game currently.

Video Corner: The Terrible Truth About Smash Bros.
Currently playing: Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (Wii U VC), Detective Pikachu

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Blitzenexx

@Cobalt: That's definitely one of the better tunes. Now if only I could say the same about that continent.... (Not that it's bad per se, I just liked the others more.)

Video Corner: The Terrible Truth About Smash Bros.
Currently playing: Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (Wii U VC), Detective Pikachu

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic