Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X - OT

Posts 4,341 to 4,360 of 4,371

Darknyht

@BlueOcean I am afraid I started with MH3U so going back to Tri would be a downgrade for me, although I've read the animation was impressive. I am impartial to Blue Ocean, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Xenoblade Chronicles (just the sheer amount of world they built). Metroid Prime 3 would be another one that impressed me, but I believe Art Direction/Style is just as important as polygon count.

Below is a link to Xenoblade Chronicles on Dolphin in HD (but using a texture pack to further improve the graphics). The Monster Hunter Tri version looks equally impressive, but to me it just looks how the Wii U edition runs.

Edited on by Darknyht

Darknyht

Nintendo Network ID: DarKnyht

Banjo-

@Darknyht Wow, I probably should have played XC like that, the higher resolution alone is a noticeable upgrade: grass, texts...

Banjo-

Banjo-

If he is going to play XC2 it would be recommendable at least to watch the cutscenes of XC (with the textures pack applied if possible). Too bad XC doesn't have a theatre mode but I will probably watch the cutscenes again before playing XC2 (& Torna).

EDIT: Does XC2 recap XC1?

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

EvilLucario

Honestly Xenoblade as a whole always struggled with difficulty. 1 and 2 are massive cakewalks. Disciple Lorithia wasn't too bad, I actually struggled more with the boss right after because I was a bit underleveled so I couldn't hit him at all, which was not the case for Lorithia. X was harder, but sometimes for extremely bad reasons because if you thought the AI in 1 and 2 are bad (which they aren't, they're actually pretty competent), the AI in X is absolutely useless. They don't understand TP management, Overdrive, and secondary cooldowns at all, whereas in 1 and 2 they know how to fight much better. X is still held up by the best combat you as the avatar can do, though.

Overall though, I rank X > 2 > 1 > Torna DLC > Xenogears. Torna DLC is really good too, but the combat is actually more of a downgrade than an upgrade from 2 imo, contrary to what most people seem to say. Xenogears is just awfully aged in gameplay, but it has a really good story. Theoretically it beats all the Xenoblade games, but Xenogears has bad pacing problems and Disc 2 is just awful from a storytelling perspective.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Banjo-

@ReaderRagfish Indeed! My final team was Shulk, Dunban and Riki:

https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii/xenoblade_chronicles_h...

I consider Shulk a must because he is versatile and because of the bad AI if you are controling him you can make the most of his powerful Monado special moves, rotational damage and limited healing abilities.

@EvilLucario 1 and 2 massive cakewalks LOL. Well if you grind a lot any JRPG is a cakewalk. I haven't played 2 but 1 has crazy difficulty spikes.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

EvilLucario

@BlueOcean I barely grinded in 1 and 2. In 1 on my first playthrough, I blitzed through the game doing the bare minimum and didn't care about sidequests since I gave up trying to do them all after Satorl Marsh. I finished the game within 45 hours on my first playthrough.

I did grind in X, but that was postgame to make some overpowered builds and for postgame.

2 is even easier because the XP you get from exploring is more than enough to always let you be on the same level as the enemies you should be facing, and I beat that game in 60 hours since I was more interested in the side content there but I still prioritized the main game.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

EvilLucario

@ReaderRagfish The only time I had to grind was during the boss right after the point of no return at the end of the game, and that was only because I literally could not hit him due to being underleveled. So I did grind there, but that's it.

If you want to do the sidequests though, oh boy oh boy. Just doing sidequests in 1 as a whole is grinding personified because those sidequests were hot garbage.

Banjo-

@ReaderRagfish I had to grind and craft powerful gems too. I did some side quests but I hated them. I did the ones I found but deep inside I was hoping that nobody else asked me to do anything else. I didn't help Colony 6 much. @EvilLucario is right at least about side quests being garbage. You are right about not having to worry too much about them though.

One thing I love about X is that I enjoy so much exploring, controls and combat that I never feel the infinite boredom of grinding and doing side quests that I have felt playing other games (not just XC). XCX is a cohesive and balanced experience, if you know what I mean. It's not a chore with a great story but fun gameplay with a story that surrounds everything and expanded by meaningful and anecdotal side quests.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Cobalt

@EvilLucario And don't forget that in Xenoblade Chronicles 2, you can level up "just by resting" manner of speaking... :/ Everything is casualized in Xeno 2...

Cobalt

Ralizah

Most of the time, when a Xenoblade game is "hard," it's due to bad game design, such as overloading early areas with high level monsters that'll keep one-shotting your character and absurd difficulty spikes that bring the experience to a halt. XC2 is mostly devoid of those.

@Cobalt There's nothing "casualized" about XC2. The EXP you use to level at inns is derived from completing side-quests and exploring, and is also completely optional. If anything, it gives you the ability to make the experience more challenging by engaging in a low-level run.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

EvilLucario

@Cobalt The resting thing is built up from exploring and sidequests. Did you not even notice that exploring new locations in 2 didn't give direct XP like it did in 1 or X, which also handed out copious amounts of XP for exploring (for 1 anyway, X gave **** all)?

Combat in 2 also blows 1 out of the water. X is still better, but 2's offensive game is better than X's offensive game.

Banjo-

@subpopz I agree with you about XC and okay, the most important bits about the story remain in my memory in spite of starting in 2011 and finishing in 2018.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Cobalt

@Ralizah

Take just the equipment slots... casualized !
Arts on buttons and not in a palette... casualized !
The universe even more "shonen" than the 1st one... casualized !
The level design is ultra generic compare to the 1st one and even more compare to X... casualized !
The combat system is cool but so far from X... casualized !
etc...etc...

For me who played all the Xeno games, Xeno 2 is the most casual of all.

PS : And if you try Torna, it's even more casualized... It's a trend at nintendo now (Pokémon Let's Go, Mario Odyssey, Funky Kong in DKCTF switch etc...)

Cobalt

Banjo-

When my own character says something do I use a soul voice for a boost or it's only when the others say something that I have to match them with an art?

I know I can use augments on weapons but the option is always greyed-out?

Banjo-

EvilLucario

@BlueOcean When you complete a QTE (which can come when you fulfill a specific criteria), you'll let out a Soul Voice. Then your AI partners will be able to take advantage of that.

When your AI partners let out a Soul Voice, you take advantage of that. So for example, if one of your partners bites the bullet, they can let out a Soul Voice that can let you gain +500 TP per hit. So if you hit the right Art with something like True Stream Edge, you'll gain a crap ton of TP. Or other partners could give you invincibility if you use an aura.

For augments, you can buy slots from L's shop. And they can be added on top of pre-perked weapons for a maximum of three slots, so you can effectively have six augments on a weapon.

Banjo-

@EvilLucario What about healing and reviving? It looks like you get healed when soul voices are matched with arts but not consistently and there are classes that don't have healing abilities so... I have never been revived either, Gwin revives somebody else sometimes with an art. So what is the strategy for healing (apart from using a class with a healing art) and for reviving and being revived (apart from relying on a NPC?) in this game?

What does affinity do in this game? More soul voices?

Banjo-

EvilLucario

@BlueOcean Every time you do use a Soul Voice or call one out, you heal the party. The higher your Potential, the more you heal (and the more damage you do with TP Arts).

Healing can be done through skills and Overdrive. There's a skill called Healing Aura that restores your HP every time you use an aura, and there's more like Lifeline (when auras restore 30% HP if below 50%). In Overdrive, using an aura to a green Art like Primer will restore some HP as well.

And of course, spamming Smooth Recovery (a healing Art from one of Irina's affinity missions) in Overdrive is a great way to make your party unkillable for the most part.

Affinity increases the chances of Soul Voices. Morale also increases the chances of Soul Voices, and it goes up every time you complete a Soul Voice. The higher the morale, the quicker Soul Voices count down, though.

As for reviving... don't bother. You need 3000 TP to be revived, and since the AI is garbage at TP management, don't bother. Unless you're of course the guy spamming Last Stand to feed your teammates TP, then you can maybe fall back on that, but reviving is almost useless in X, which is another reason why X can be harder for the wrong reasons.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Banjo-

@EvilLucario So for healing apart from specific arts for specific classes I can equip HP skills and when I get an Overdrive use a green art? Is reviving only performed by special arts like Gwin's Medic Free?

EDIT: I just read the edited part. OK so forget about reviving and focus on a balance of skills and arts. Thank you.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

EvilLucario

@BlueOcean Pretty much. The (mostly) removal of healer classes was deliberate since Takahashi thought the idea of a healer class got stale, and it shows considering every Xeno game is MUCH better once you get rid of healers.

And for healing, there's like only two Arts that can heal. Three if you want to be technical. Recuperate, Smooth Recovery, and Essence Exchange (which swaps your TP with your HP so not really a true recovery Art but it could be used as such).

Edited on by EvilLucario

Banjo-

@EvilLucario I think that it's a good idea too but it's not explained, not even in the manual. I like a lot of classes, can't say what is my favourite yet and I haven't unlocked every one. What is your favourite? They are more flexible than in XC1.

EDIT: Or do they all lead to a free class?

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic