Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X - OT

Posts 2,121 to 2,140 of 4,371

Blast

Haru17 wrote:

Blast wrote:

Tales of the Abyss 3D was amazing. Man, I wished Nintendo had more Tales support.

Unfortunately the Namco Bandai devs don't seem interested in making their games more efficient or maximizing the power of the hardware. Zesteria looks old even for the PS3.

I'm more concerned about the story. Now that trailer for the story was just horrible, in my opinion. Sooooooo boring!!!

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Haru17

iKhan wrote:

I like Xenoblade, but its characters really feel like empty husks compared to Tales characters. You never feel like each character has a distinctive personality trait that influences most of their actions and dialogue in the story, so characterizations like "Shulk is a nerd, Dunban is a brave hero" feel really shallow.

Yeah, I felt that too. It wasn't that the Xenoblade cast didn't have personalities, it was just that the personalities they did have were entirely one-note. Except for, perhaps, Melia.

Not that Tales is much better these days. Jude was just as stock of a character as Shulk and they have the additional sin of having annoying / creepy young child characters; one in Xillia 1 and an additional kid in Xillia 2.

Older Tales environments felt unique to some extent while the areas in Xillia feel even blander than some of Xenoblade's expanses.

Blast wrote:

I'm more concerned about the story. Now that trailer for the story was just horrible, in my opinion. Sooooooo boring!!!

I think it could be good yet. That trailer struck me as the first hour of the game. Granted, it could get worse, but at least it looks better than Xillia.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Dezzy

Haru17 wrote:

Blast wrote:

Tales of the Abyss 3D was amazing. Man, I wished Nintendo had more Tales support.

Unfortunately the Namco Bandai devs don't seem interested in making their games more efficient or maximizing the power of the hardware. Zesteria looks old even for the PS3.

"Aren't interested" might just translate to "can't afford to". The Tales series doesn't strike me as particularly big budget. For saying how much content they generally fit in the games (roughly similar to the FF series I'd say), they do tend to sell under a million. I think only 2 entries in the series have hit 1 million copies sold.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Haru17

Dezzy wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Blast wrote:

"Aren't interested" might just translate to "can't afford to". The Tales series doesn't strike me as particularly big budget. For saying how much content they generally fit in the games (roughly similar to the FF series I'd say), they do tend to sell under a million. I think only 2 entries in the series have hit 1 million copies sold.

Perhaps, I've no idea what Bandai Namco's financials are like. Either way, they'll hardly release them for Wii U, which was my point.

Edited on by Haru17

Hy8ogen

Bandai Namco is definitely in love with the Sony platform. Sure they don't neglect good old Ninty and give us some crumbs from time to time, but 99% of their hard hitters go to the Sony platform.

Which is why I bought the PS4 to begin with.

Nintendo fan since 6 years of age.
Owned: SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, 3DS, Wii U, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PSP3000.

3DS Friend Code: 5472-8085-9073 | Nintendo Network ID: kkloveit

CaviarMeths

Hy8ogen wrote:

Bandai Namco is definitely in love with the Sony platform.

I don't really blame them. Last gen saw a mainline Tales game released on all 3 consoles, and I think it's pretty clear where the audience lined up for those games.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Hy8ogen

CaviarMeths wrote:

Hy8ogen wrote:

I don't really blame them. Last gen saw a mainline Tales game released on all 3 consoles, and I think it's pretty clear where the audience lined up for those games.

Naw mate. I don't play the blame game, I just work harder so I can afford 2 consoles

Owned: SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, 3DS, Wii U, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PSP3000.

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Hy8ogen wrote:

Your syntax seems to imply that a single main Tales game was 3x crossplatform. It's deceptive...

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Hy8ogen wrote:

Your syntax seems to imply that a single main Tales game was 3x crossplatform. It's deceptive...

On each of the 3 consoles* then. Also, both Vesperia and Graces sold better on PS3 than on 360 and Wii, respectively, in Japan.

Problem is though that Bamco doesn't really look beyond Japan for series potential. Symphonia on Gamecube and Abyss on 3DS actually sold fairly well in North America. Vesperia on 360 was the best-selling Tales game in North America last gen. But Japanese gamers don't really care about these games if they don't launch on Sony hardware and Bamco doesn't put globalization very high on their priority list.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Haru17

Dezzy wrote:

You know, that excuse holds less and less water. I mean, as stretched as Xillia felt they should just make shorter games. Seriously, don't make a watered down 100 hour JRPG with an ensemble cast, make a great 10-30 hour game with a few key characters. I'd rather have a great, decently-sized $60 game than a huge,bloated $60 game any day of the week.

I mean really, when they pulled a Symphonia half-way through Xillia I just rolled my eyes.

Edited on by Haru17

iKhan

Hy8ogen wrote:

Bandai Namco is definitely in love with the Sony platform. Sure they don't neglect good old Ninty and give us some crumbs from time to time, but 99% of their hard hitters go to the Sony platform.

Which is why I bought the PS4 to begin with.

To be completely fair, considering that Tales studio hasn't switched to the 8th gen yet (there are literally zero new main series Tales games on 8th gen systems, not even 3DS or Vita), you can't really blame them for focusing on PS3.

The Wii couldn't handle Xillia, Xillia 2, or Zestiria, and Namco would be stupid to try putting another JRPG on a Microsoft system.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Dezzy

CaviarMeths wrote:

Ah but an inconvenient factor there is that the Nintendo game was reviewed the worst of the 3 by a considerable way. In general, it's probably right though. There aren't enough Wii Us in Japan to make it a good prospect. And Japan accounts for about half of the sales in the franchise.

Dezzy

Haru17 wrote:

You know, that excuse holds less and less water. I mean, as stretched as Xillia felt they should just make shorter games. Seriously, don't make a watered down 100 hour JRPG with an ensemble cast, make a great 10-30 hour game with a few key characters. I'd rather have a great, decently-sized $60 game than a huge,bloated $60 game any day of the week.

Ah but when you call it an "excuse", you're assuming an agreement on the preference you're stating (that it should look better). I don't agree on that. I'm fine with them the way they look!

CaviarMeths

Dezzy wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Ah but an inconvenient factor there is that the Nintendo game was reviewed the worst of the 3 by a considerable way. In general, it's probably right though. There aren't enough Wii Us in Japan to make it a good prospect. And Japan accounts for about half of the sales in the franchise.

Well, there are almost twice as many Wii Us sold in Japan as PS4s right now (2.2mil vs 1.3mil). It's not a question of if the PS4 will catch up though, but when.

Dezzy wrote:

Ah but when you call it an "excuse", you're assuming an agreement on the preference you're stating (that it should look better). I don't agree on that. I'm fine with them the way they look!

I don't even agree with the premise that Xillia was stretched beyond its welcome. I actually finished that game, and I don't finish anything these days unless it really grabs me.

That said, I dropped Xillia 2 within the first 10 hours. Loan Repayment Simulator is a genre that I didn't ask for and didn't want.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

Dezzy

CaviarMeths wrote:

Loan Repayment Simulator is a genre that I didn't ask for and didn't want.

Isn't that essentially the story behind Rikki being included in Xenoblade too?

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

I don't even agree with the premise that Xillia was stretched beyond its welcome. I actually finished that game, and I don't finish anything these days unless it really grabs me.

Didn't Mr. Han Solo syndrome and Dawn of the New World 2: Electric Boogaloo bother you at all? They felt quite ham-fisted to me...

Edited on by Haru17

Hy8ogen

Alright boys back to Xeno X. What first mech are you guys getting? I'm going full Ninja with a Light Formula type with a beam Katana.

Haru17

I'll just put this here...

Untitled

Blast

So... Dolls cost alotta money, right? I guess the game gives you a choice of your first Doll for free via a quest or something.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Hy8ogen

Blast wrote:

So... Dolls cost alotta money, right? I guess the game gives you a choice of your first Doll for free via a quest or something.

They better let me choose my first doll.....I really don't want a medium jack of all trades kinda mech. Mine is either fast and swift, or heavy artillery.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic