Forums

Topic: $102 Game pad repair!

Posts 1 to 20 of 91

mr_shanetastic

Just got off the phone with Nintendo. Kids busted game pad screen and repair is $102.00, don't want to replace because it's Wind Waker model.

Anyway long story short, break is our fault but Nintendo should really make a Pro Controller only "Nintendo U". The system is too expensive given current (mostly subsidized) tech. $199 Nintendo U, $269-299 Nintendo Wii+U with Gamepad. Patch games and OS that requires pad. Sell it separately as upgrade.

There is no reason for console to fail because of this great but expensive packed in accessory. The games available and coming are greater than PS4 and One lineup. Eliminate the Wii altogether from base model. Sell an simple adaptor to play ds games when Gamepad is available. Get Nintendo Network/Miiverse/and some kind of Nintendo community app out now to iOS and Android! Add achievement (stamps) to the deal.

Simple, easy to follow path that Nintendo seems oblivious to. Let's make it known=)

Edited on by mr_shanetastic

Nintendo Network- ekmentertainment

SMEXIZELDAMAN

Guess it'd be cool to not have to use gamepad for it b/c most games so far don't explicitly need it.

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

CaviarMeths

I don't want a Gamepad-less Wii U because then developers would make games with this in mind. There would be no incentive for them to use the second screen creatively, or even use it at all.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

GuSolarFlare

Swiket wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

I don't want a Gamepad-less Wii U because then developers would make games with this in mind. There would be no incentive for them to use the second screen creatively, or even use it at all.

So... nothing would change?

the WiiU would be cheaper and the haters would use the fact it has lost innovation as a point to attack it. yeah that's all that would change

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

CaviarMeths

Swiket wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

I have difficulty going back to playing without the second screen. The Gamecube version of Wind Waker is basically unplayable to me now.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

MikeLove

Glad to see some other people realize how stupid it is that Nintendo has made the gamepad a requirement for the Wi-U.

The system can't run several essential applications without it, let alone even be turned on! Not only that, but if your gamepad does break, you can't even just go down to your local mall and buy another. You need to go through a convoluted process of calling tech support and potentially waiting a couple weeks until you can play your console again.

MikeLove

Emblem

CaviarMeths wrote:

Swiket wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

I have difficulty going back to playing without the second screen. The Gamecube version of Wind Waker is basically unplayable to me now.

Amen, second screen console gaming is a must for me now. My pc has always has a dual screen set up so i can multi-task and i have my Nexus 7 set up as a remote/portable interface. I'm glad consoles are moving forward and its the main reason i brought my Wii U, i have a pre controller and love it but the gamepad makes my Wii U experience what it is.

Emblem

Azooooz

GuSilverFlame wrote:

Swiket wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

the WiiU would be cheaper and the haters would use the fact it has lost innovation as a point to attack it. yeah that's all that would change

^This. No matter what Nintendo does, haters always bring up some bad excuses to bash them.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

SCRAPPER392

They'll eventually sell GamePads at the store. A GamePad-less Wii U won't solve your problem. Selling it at the store, will. I'm honestly surprised that it costs that much to repair. The whole entire console should be $80 to repair, if IIRC.

Nevertheless, dropping requirement of the GamePad wouldn't be any sort of fix, because the console is designed with it in mind. It would be like selling the DS without a bottom screen. That kind of defeats the purpose of a DS.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

JaxonH

@mr_shanetastic

I know you think you have the magic bullet for the Wii U- everyone does. Everyone has their own opinion that they THINK, and truly believe, would be the easy fix. But there's a reason you're not running a multi-billion dollar company and they are, with all due respect. The gamepad is what makes the Wii U what it is. Removing that would leave games like Pikmin 3, Wii Sports Club Golf, Zelda Windwaker HD, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, ZombiU, Wonderful 101 and many others, castrated or completely unplayable.

We love Nintendo games, and we'll play them regardless of hardware innovation. But, that doesn't mean we don't want more. We WANT new ways to play games. We WANT motion control to be at the developer's disposal. We WANT a second screen to be at the developer's disposal. We WANT something different, something new. We've grown accustomed to dual-screen gaming. It's a proven success, time and time again. Be patient. Just because Wii U has had a rough start, doesn't mean Nintendo should abandon everything that makes the Wii U great in hopes of a short term fix. People don't just buy Nintendo hardware for the games, they buy them for the creative ways in which they are played.

Dual screen gaming is here to stay. I can almost certainly guarantee you a second screen on the controller will be a staple of all future Nintendo consoles, just like it has become a staple for their handhelds. The situation is complex, and there are numerous factors affecting the Wii U's success. The gamepad is not one of them. In fact, that's the Wii U's greatest asset.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

DexInDaJungle

Azooooz wrote:

GuSilverFlame wrote:

Swiket wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

^This. No matter what Nintendo does, haters always bring up some bad excuses to bash them.

To be fair, Microsoft and Sony have their fair share of haters too. Ive seen a bunch on this board alone. As for the idea for releasing a console without a Gamepad, I wouldn't necessarily be against it. If haters wanna talk **** they can go right ahead and do so. It will just prove to everyone how hypocritical they truly are since they are the ones whining about how Nintendos attempt at second screen gaming is a failure. Innovation? Well maybe its time for Nintendo to take a step back from that and at least try to appeal to the more traditional gamer. Maybe it might change things up for the better in terms of sales. Their games will always be more innovative anyway so who cares right? I still think that they desperately need to start coming up with some new IPs because rehashes of Mario obviously isn't selling consoles anymore.

Twitter:

GuSolarFlare

@DexInDaJungle tell me someone or something real that has no haters and I'll call you a liar.
BUT there are those haters that like to be TOO excessively loud(the ones I don't like at all) those will find a reason to complain even when there isn't one

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
my Backloggery

Ecto-1

JohnRedcorn wrote:

Glad to see some other people realize how stupid it is that Nintendo has made the gamepad a requirement for the Wi-U.

The system can't run several essential applications without it, let alone even be turned on! Not only that, but if your gamepad does break, you can't even just go down to your local mall and buy another. You need to go through a convoluted process of calling tech support and potentially waiting a couple weeks until you can play your console again.

While I agree that there are several apps that annoyingly require the gamepad and completely ignore all other inputs (looking at you Netflix) I am baffled by your claim that you can't turn the system on with out it. Put frankly, yes you can; you just have to press the button labeled "Power" on your controller, be that a Wiimote or Wii U Pro controller. For that matter, you can even turn it on with the console's power button. I agree that they really need to get the pads on store shelves, but the system itself can be operated without it.

Boo! I'm a ghost.
Check out my Rytmik songs on Youtube
Colors 3D Gallery

3DS Friend Code: 3566-1553-9977 | Nintendo Network ID: ECTO-1989

Super_Gravy

@Ecto-1: Its doesn't work for people who have an password lock account to let you know.

Umm… Care to have some gravy?

mr_shanetastic

OK they should just drop the "Wii" part, just be Nintendo U!

I like game pad but it's way too big, screen doesn't compare to quality of any other touchscreen a consumer may own, and is too expensive. $100 for a repair, how much if I lost it or something!

I'm still a little upset about $100 repair on brand new system.

Nintendo Network- ekmentertainment

GuSolarFlare

mr_shanetastic wrote:

OK they should just drop the "Wii" part, just be Nintendo U!

now THAT is a good idea!

my Backloggery

Super_Gravy

@GuSilverFlame: I don't know about that. Sony never have problem with Playstation brand names. Nintendo never have problem with NES, SNES, then N64. But they got problem with Gamecube. Microsoft going follow the trend as well. I agreed that they should put "Nintendo" brand name on the product rather than calling Wii or Wii U. I think they trying to bring Wii U from Wii but its seem to cause confusions for some reasons which is strange since Playstation, Xbox and even old Nintendo before Gamecube have no problem with this method.

Umm… Care to have some gravy?

GuSolarFlare

@Super_Gravy sincerely I don't believe changing the name will have ANY effect at all I just don't like the sound of "WiiU"
it's like an alarm WiiUWiiUWiiUWiiUWiiUWiiUWiiU!

my Backloggery

MikeLove

Ecto-1 wrote:

JohnRedcorn wrote:

While I agree that there are several apps that annoyingly require the gamepad and completely ignore all other inputs (looking at you Netflix) I am baffled by your claim that you can't turn the system on with out it. Put frankly, yes you can; you just have to press the button labeled "Power" on your controller, be that a Wiimote or Wii U Pro controller. For that matter, you can even turn it on with the console's power button. I agree that they really need to get the pads on store shelves, but the system itself can be operated without it.

I was confused, and just tried it myself now by sticking the gamepad in another rooom away from the console. I turned it on with the Pro Controller, and the system started without the gamepad coming on. I always thought the gamepad would come on when the console did, but I guess not. However, with no gamepad you can't access the browser, eshop or even the settings menu, all important functions. There have also been times where I was playing using the pro controller, only to have a pop up come on screen telling me I would need to plug in the gamepad to continue playing because the battery was low, even though I wasn't even using it.

MikeLove

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.