Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 5,661 to 5,680 of 27,917

SCRAPPER392

Well, MGS on GCN could show up on VC, but the other games would have to show up in the form of Metal Gear Solid HD Collection. Maybe they could add GamePad features, but who knows... I'm pretty sure Nintendo won't allow Snake in Smash Bros. this time if they aren't going to put new Metal Gear games on Nintendo systems.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

DefHalan

SCAR392 wrote:

Well, MGS on GCN could show up on VC, but the other games would have to show up in the form of Metal Gear Solid HD Collection. Maybe they could add GamePad features, but who knows... I'm pretty sure Nintendo won't allow Snake in Smash Bros. this time if they aren't going to put new Metal Gear games on Nintendo systems.

While Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes would be nice, I was actually just talking about Mear Gear and Snake's Revenge Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake, which were on Japan's Wii VC. So we would just need a translation of those versions.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

UGXwolf

SCAR392 wrote:

Again, /Nintendo/ is not making this game and has no actual say in the roster beyond what of their own IP that Sakurai can't use. They can't (or rather /won't/) force him to add or drop any character that he intends to use. They especially can't reach over to Konami's influence and say "don't use this character. Use the other one." Sakurai is the ONLY person who can add or drop anyone based on his own criteria. The welfare of the consoles isn't really his business, so long as his game does well.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

DefHalan

@UGXwolf
That isn't exactly true. Nintendo is paying for the game and does have say over things. They could make Sakurai take out certain characters or add certain characters. Will Nintendo do this? I don't think so but with Nintendo paying for it, Nintendo has final say over everything. Publishers have made Designers do wrong Game Designs all the time but I don't think Nintendo will do that

SCRAPPER392

@UGXWolf
I was speaking in general. Kojima already said that Nintendo should put Snake in the next Smash Bros. If Sora Co. asked Nintendo if it was ok to include Snake, Nintendo would ultimately have say on whether Snake should be in SB or not, because like @DefHalen said, they're paying the bill. That bill would include Snake's inclusion, because having on the roster isn't going to free, and even still, lack of character presence isn't giving Snake any better of a chance to be included.

EDIT: In otherwords, if Nintendo has to pay to put Snake in the game, his lack of presence on the platform would probably effect the decision. That's all I'm saying.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

MegaStoneSmash91

I'd love to see Snake again. He's an iconic game character, just like Sonic and Mega Man. Smash Bros. is mostly a Nintendo related affair, but throwing in a few of the most well known characters from other companies certainly doesn't hurt. Snake fits the bill nicely in that regard, and he's certainly a fun and unique character to have on the roster.

Beep.
That is all.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0896-8068-4007 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

SCRAPPER392

I wouldn't mind having Snake on the roster, either, but not having a MGS title on Wii U and still allowing him to be a playable character would be kind of irksome.

Hideo ought to know that MGS isn't on Wii U. I personally wouldn't give Snake the OK if none of the MGS games were on Wii U. 3DS and GCN are the most recent MGS games, and even those are a port and remake. Megaman already has tons of titles on the eShop, so it makes sense to give familiarity of the characters by having games with that character. Sonic is in Lost World, will be in Boom, will presumable be on Wii U VC, and already has presence on 3DS VC, outside of only Smash Bros.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

19Robb92

IIRC Snake appeared in SSBB because Kojima wanted him to be in the game (Kojima & Sakurai are friends). So I guess he's still probable.

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

UGXwolf

@DefHalen @SCAR392 I believe I pointed out that it was more that they won't than that they can't.

UGXwolf wrote:

They can't (or rather /won't/) force him to add or drop any character that he intends to use.

Yeah, right there.

On that note, I do see your point. Nintendo wouldn't be happy about supporting a character that isn't supporting them. Even so, if Sakurai thinks it'll make the game better, I don't think Nintendo will stand in his way.

Edited on by UGXwolf

SCRAPPER392

19Robb92 wrote:

IIRC Snake appeared in SSBB because Kojima wanted him to be in the game (Kojima & Sakurai are friends). So I guess he's still probable.

He probably is in the cards, but from a supportive standpoint, MGS' absence on the Wii U is kind of a weird situation.

At this point, basically any other character from Konami besides Snake would make sense; mainly Bomberman or Simon Belmony.

Qwest

DefHalan

UGXwolf wrote:

@DefHalen @SCAR392 I believe I pointed out that it was more that they won't than that they can't.

UGXwolf wrote:

They can't (or rather /won't/) force him to add or drop any character that he intends to use.

Yeah, right there.

I saw that but your post implied that Nintendo didn't have control over the game and I pointed out that they did.

SCRAPPER392

UGXwolf wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

Yeah, right there.

Well, your first sentence said that they can't, so it was kind of confusing.

If Nintendo or Konami reaches out to use a character in Smash Bros, if the character choice is not agreed upon, it simply won't happen. If Nintendo wants Simon, but Konami wants Snake, then they probably won't have any character. I'm not saying this will happen, but character presence would effect a decision like this, as far as I'm concerned, and MGS wasn't even on Wii when it could have been.

EDIT: However, Konami wanted to make a deal about HD. That doesn't change that Snake basically has no presence on Nintendo besides a very occasional port, SSBB, and the MG games from NES.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

UGXwolf

SCAR392 wrote:

Well, your first sentence said that they can't, so it was kind of confusing.

If Nintendo or Konami reaches out to use a character in Smash Bros, if the character choice is not agreed upon, it simply won't happen. If Nintendo wants Simon, but Konami wants Snake, then they probably won't have any character. I'm not saying this will happen, but character presence would effect a decision like this, as far as I'm concerned, and MGS wasn't even on Wii when it could have been.

EDIT: However, Konami wanted to make a deal about HD. That doesn't change that Snake basically has no presence on Nintendo besides a very occasional port, SSBB, and the MG games from NES.

I always imagined they used lists, or some such. Characters Sakurai wanted and Nintendo approved vs. characters Konami is willing to offer. I'm sure that in many cases (like was the case for Mega Man, I'm sure) one of these "lists" only has one name from the start, but what do I know? I'm not on the team, or anything. This just seems like something I think would work. Of course, Sakurai and Nintendo can be stubborn. It may be that they only reach out for a specific character. Honestly, it happens so rarely, that I can't see there being an official procedure for it.

EDIT: I also changed my previous post. Maybe it should've been a new post, but whatever.

Edited on by UGXwolf

SCRAPPER392

@UGXWolf
I wouldn't say that there's an official procedure, either, but I think Nintendo would rather have a Konami character that's actually on their console, especially if they plan on only using one. Contra, Castlevania, and Bomberman no doubt have more presence on Nintendo than MGS ever did.

Qwest

UGXwolf

SCAR392 wrote:

@UGXWolf
I wouldn't say that there's an official procedure, either, but I think Nintendo would rather have a Konami character that's actually on their console, especially if they plan on only using one. Contra, Castlevania, and Bomberman no doubt have more presence on Nintendo than MGS ever did.

Shall we analyze that, real quick? (I don't know the answer, so this is as much a trip for me as it is for you.)

MGS games on Nintendo consoles in the last three generations:
-Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes (Gamecube)
-Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (3DS)
Twice since 2001

Castlevania games on Nintendo consoles in the last three generations:
-Castlevania (GBA, Wii VC)
-Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (Wii VC)
-Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (Wii VC)
-Super Castlevania IV (Wii VC)
-Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
-Castlevania: Harmony of Disonance (GBA)
-Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
-Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
-Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
-Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
-Castlevania Judgement (Wii)
-Castlevania: The Adventure of Rebirth (WiiWare)
-Castlevania: Lords of Shadow — Mirror of Fate (3DS)
-Castlevania: Double Pack (GBA)
14 titles since 2001 (4 are re-releases on VC and one is a collection of two previously mentioned games, but even excluding those, that's 9 in the last 13 years.)

Beyond that, there's also Simon Belmont's inclusion in "New Internation Track and Field" for the Nintendo DS.

... WHY IS SIMON NOT ALREADY IN THIS GAME?!?! (Note: Simon has been on my list of possible inclusions since I started thinking about who could be in the next Smash Bros for the first time.)

Contra titles on Nintendo systems in the last three generations:
-Contra III: The Alien Wars (GBA)
-Contra 4 (NDS)
-Contra: Rebirth (WiiWare)
3 titles since 2001

Also, there was a cancelled Nintendo 64 game, but that doesn't really count, being that it's not only incomplete, but isn't in the given time period. Even so, it's an interesting note.

Bomberman games on Nintendo consoles in the last three generations:
-Bomberman Tournament (GBA)
-Bomberman Max 2 (GBA)
-Bomberman Jetters: The Legend of Bomberman (GBA)
-Bomberman Jetters (Gamecube)
-Bomberman Generation (Gamecube)
-Bomberman Land 2 (Gamecube)
-BoBomberman (GBA)
-Bomberman DS (NDS)
-Hudson Best Collection Volume 1 - Bomberman Collection (GBA)
-Bomberman Land Touch (NDS)
-Bomberman Story DS (NDS)
-Bomberman Land (Wii)
-Bomberman Blast (Wii/WiiWare)
-Bomberman Land 2 (NDS)
-Bomberman 2 (NDS)
-Bomberman Blitz (DSiWare)
-Bomberman 3D [CANCELLED] (3DS)
17 titles since 2001

Also worth noting, there has already been a Bomberman-Nintendo crossover in the form of Wario Blast feat. Bomberman for the Game Boy.

Looking at this, the only advantages Snake has over Simon and Bomberman is his iconic status and the fact that Sakurai and Kojima are friends.
As for Simon and Bomberman, I can't help but feel that Bomberman is a bad choice. I can't place my finger on it, but something about the way he's used makes him seem generic. Almost pointless. Anyways, he hasn't been on a Nintendo system since 2010, and his last attempt at a Nintendo-based game was cancelled. Castlevania, however, released a game on the 3DS just last year.

In the end, I really have to give my suggestion for Simon Belmont over Bomberman, but this is just a look at things. As previously stated, Snake is probably the most likely, as he's been in the game, before.

SCRAPPER392

@UGXWolf
It's also worth noting that Konami didn't have the rights to Bomberman until after Brawl was released, and I don't think Nintendo was willing to deal with Hudson at the time, but who knows.

Anyway, I kind of agree with Bomberman being generic, but you could say the same about Pac-man or anyone else, depending on how in depth you're willing to go. Link and Marth are swordsman, Pikachu is an animal, Kirby is a blob, Little Mac is the fighter with a dream, Samus is a space fighter, etc.

Qwest

UGXwolf

SCAR392 wrote:

@UGXWolf
It's also worth noting that Konami didn't have the rights to Bomberman until after Brawl was released, and I don't think Nintendo was willing to deal with Hudson at the time, but who knows.

Anyway, I kind of agree with Bomberman being generic, but you could say the same about Pac-man or anyone else, depending on how in depth you're willing to go. Link and Marth are swordsman, Pikachu is an animal, Kirby is a blob, Little Mac is the fighter with a dream, Samus is a space fighter, etc.

But Link, Marth, Pikachu, Kirby, Little Mac, and Samus are all icons, mascots, and heroes, and for the most part, they have long stories behind (and ahead of) them. Bomberman... I don't know anything about Bomberman. He runs around. Drops bombs. Tries to blow other players up. That's really it. Do you know more about him? Cause I don't. I find all of the listed characters to be interesting. Their stories, regardless of how simple or complex, amuse me and draw my attention. Simon Belmont fits right in with this, but Bomberman seems painfully flat, in comparison.

There is the argument that Mr. Game & Watch and ROB are no different. True, but G&W and ROB are key components of Nintendo's past and part of the reason they became as popular as they did back in the 80's. On the other hand, I can't think of a single thing Bomberman has done for Nintendo or gaming, nor a single reason why the character is so special.

It's not a full argument, but it's just that I can't see Bomberman as more than a generic "use this character" that has bombs. Lots and lots of bombs. I could see Sakurai doing some interesting things with him, but I could also see him doing some really interesting things with a Belmont. It's so hard to say.

Jazzer94

Blast wrote:

So Kojima really did say, "Sakurai... if you're listening... please put Snake in the game." when he was asked about Snake in the new SSB game?
Hmmm.....
I'm conflicted on this..... cuz I like Kojima and I do plan on getting the next MGS installment for PS4 someday.
The last time Snake touched a Nintendo platform was MGS: Snake Eater 3D....
MGS: Ground Zeroes could "easily" (any game thats running on 360 and PS3 and also be ran on Wii U) be on Wii U but its not.
In a way... I feel like Kojima wants free advertising for the next MGS game....
Then again... Snake was in the roster previously.... People DO like him in the game. Snake is iconic, too.
Dang....
You know what? It sorta pains me to say this but Snake SHOULD be allowed back in the roster. Its bittersweet to say it, though. Mega Man is WAY more deserving than Snake BUT... Snake still deserves to be in the game.

I think this has more to do with the fact Kojima knows that the people buying the PS360 version will then be buying MGS:PP on PS4 and Xbone later and that game would take more work to run on Wii U and seeing as GZ and PP are one story essential I at least and Kojima to would not want to put half an story and not they other.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

SCRAPPER392

@UGXWolf
None of the characters have a story in Smash Bros. They just fight. A character with lots af bombs stands a chance against an electric mouse, a swordsman, etc. G&W technically represents a fire fighter, parachutist, selvedger, etc. All that is represented in his moveset.

Bomberman was a fighting game in it's own right. 4-8 players or CPU throwing bombs at each other. Besides, he had more story once it got to N64. He saved a princess, fought the sources of evil and good themselves, and fought other characters that threatened his and other planets. Most of the Bomberman games were just deathmatches, but there were story based games from the Bomber,an series.

Qwest

UGXwolf

SCAR392 wrote:

@UGXWolf
None of the characters have a story in Smash Bros. They just fight. A character with lots af bombs stands a chance against an electric mouse, a swordsman, etc. G&W technically represents a fire fighter, parachutist, selvedger, etc. All that is represented in his moveset.

Bomberman was a fighting game in it's own right. 4-8 players or CPU throwing bombs at each other. Besides, he had more story once it got to N64. He saved a princess, fought the sources of evil and good themselves, and fought other characters that threatened his and other planets. Most of the Bomberman games were just deathmatches, but there were story based games from the Bomber,an series.

Inclusion requires a lot more from a character than being able to fight.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic