Wii U Forum

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Wii U Thread

Showing 5,641 to 5,660 of 8,047

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WingedSnagret

5,641. Posted:

DestinyMan wrote:

Sakurai's quote is rather interesting today about the Nintendogs + Cats stage that goes beyond just the 3DS version.
Untitled
"This dog is huge… Wait, no, the playable characters are small. The Smash Bros. series doesn't always stay true to scale."

That little statement has now fired up Miiverse and it has predictably made the Ridley supporters seize on it. Thoughts?

Just goes to show how pitifully desperate Ridley supporters can be sometimes. With that said I'm all for the Ridley love, but I'm also not acting rabid about it.

Biggest Pikmin fan on NL!

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DestinyMan

5,642. Posted:

I still think he'll most likely be a stage hazard, especially when looking at the Pyrosphere stage again.
Untitled
The stage looks really basic with only four small platforms. See that gap in-between them? That looks like a good spot where Ridley could swoop in and attack the fighters for a minute or two before leaving for a while. Otherwise, the Pyosphere appears really basic.

Most wanted Smash Bros. newcomers
1. King K. Rool
2. Mii
3. Takamaru
4. Kat & Ana
Little Mac was on the list, but he's been confirmed.
Miiverse
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/DestinyMan

Nintendo Network ID: DestinyMan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Rosalina

5,643. Posted:

DestinyMan wrote:

I still think he'll most likely be a stage hazard, especially when looking at the Pyrosphere stage again.
Untitled
The stage looks really basic with only four small platforms. See that gap in-between them? That looks like a good spot where Ridley could swoop in and attack the fighters for a minute or two before leaving for a while. Otherwise, the Pyosphere appears really basic.

That stage can't be that simple. If it were, it wouldn't be banned from tournaments. But wait!! All the previous Metroid stages were banned... So following that pattern, it seems very likely that there will be some sort of stage hazard, thus banning it.

Edited on by Rosalina

The Queen of the Cosmos
Ashley > Mona > everyone else
◕‿‿ ರೃ
WIFI Game List:
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:
SSB4
MK8

Wii U & 3DS Mii Name: Shiroma

Peach Chronicles

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SheldonRandoms

5,644. Posted:

Maybe Ridley can be best of both worlds. I think Sakurai knows about the Ridley agurements, which is good because.......well from assist trophy to playable character (Little Mac), that's why :P

I liked to rev up those fryers, I play games, I can't draw good, but I make stick figures named Sheldon and Mr. Randoms.

3DS Friend Code: 5370-0402-4645 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shinpichu

5,645. Posted:

WingedSnagret wrote:

DestinyMan wrote:

Sakurai's quote is rather interesting today about the Nintendogs + Cats stage that goes beyond just the 3DS version.
Untitled
"This dog is huge… Wait, no, the playable characters are small. The Smash Bros. series doesn't always stay true to scale."

That little statement has now fired up Miiverse and it has predictably made the Ridley supporters seize on it. Thoughts?

Just goes to show how pitifully desperate Ridley supporters can be sometimes. With that said I'm all for the Ridley love, but I'm also not acting rabid about it.

Pitifully desperate? I'm sorry, how is using this to show that the "too big argument" is a crock of s*** "pitifully desperate"?

If there are Ridley supporters who treat this as a confirmation, then yes, that's every bit as stupid as the people who took Pyrosphere's initial Miiverse description as a disconfirmation. But most Ridley supporters aren't doing that.

I can only hope that this PotD finally puts one of the dumbest arguments in Smash history to rest.

DestinyMan wrote:

I still think he'll most likely be a stage hazard, especially when looking at the Pyrosphere stage again.
Untitled
The stage looks really basic with only four small platforms. See that gap in-between them? That looks like a good spot where Ridley could swoop in and attack the fighters for a minute or two before leaving for a while. Otherwise, the Pyosphere appears really basic.

And what's wrong with having a basic stage?

Besides, I think Pryosphere looks set to be the latest incarnation of the Metroid rising Acid/Lava stage.

Edited on by shinpichu

BRAND NEW Smash 4 Character poll for 2014! Vote Here:
kwiksurveys.com/app/rendersurvey.asp?sid=4xrbu3cl1mwy6oc281132

Fire Emblem Lord popularity poll! Vote here:
http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=51763efee4b0bd1609c69c04

3DS Friend Code: 2251-3915-5139 | Nintendo Network ID: shinpichu

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Orngeblu

5,646. Posted:

Rosalina wrote:

That stage can't be that simple. If it were, it wouldn't be banned from tournaments. But wait!! All the previous Metroid stages were banned... So following that pattern, it seems very likely that there will be some sort of stage hazard, thus banning it.

What? Frigate Orpheon and Brinstar aren't banned. What makes you think every stage with a hazard is going to be banned right off the bat? That's not how it works, but everyone seems to think that. Some more examples of stages with hazards that aren't banned: Halberd, and I'm not sure if this should count as hazards, but moving/changing stages such as Frigate Orpheon (as I said above), Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2, Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, and especially Rainbow Cruise isn't banned.

http://smashboards.com/threads/why-is-this-stage-banned-a-q-a...

I'll quote the OP from this thread: "Stages are often banned for many reasons some well thought out some not quite. The two major reasons for banning stages are over centralizing a single tactic/strategy, and marginalizing player skill. The stage being "stupid", or "janky", are not reasons to ban a stage and I cannot stress this enough.

Hey sunshade, what are you talking about when you say "over centralizing a single tactic/strategy, and marginalizing player skill"?

If a tactic/strategy is the only viable way of playing in a competitive environment then it is "over centralizing". Generally speaking if something is effective people will do it. People will catch on and learn to counter this and the metagame will balance out. If something cannot be countered you will see players using it and nobody stopping it. This tactic will eventually saturate the game and will get to the point in which we can reasonably declare it unfit for competitive play on the grounds of being broken.

Now onto "marginalizing player skill". If a the skill of the players involved is being made unimportant due to an element of the stage then we can say that the stage is making skill unimportant. Excessively random elements can be declared "marginalizing player skill" and if an advantage given by a stage is large enough it can be declared "marginalizing player skill" as well."

For example, timing out may or may not be a common way of winning a match, I've seen it happen a few times, I haven't been following the competitive scene to really know how much it's done, but, a stage like Temple has to go for stalling reasons. You can go around in circles to the point where it's impossible for your opponent to get to you, and takes 0 skill to pull off. I've dealt with a lot of these people on Basic Brawl, they get a kill and they circle camp you all day.

Edited on by Orngeblu

Brawl Friend Code: 3395-4738-9505
I also have a 3DS and Wii U.

<3 Smash Bros.

Nintendo Network ID: Orngeblu

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Rosalina

5,647. Posted:

Orngeblu wrote:

Rosalina wrote:

That stage can't be that simple. If it were, it wouldn't be banned from tournaments. But wait!! All the previous Metroid stages were banned... So following that pattern, it seems very likely that there will be some sort of stage hazard, thus banning it.

What? Frigate Orpheon and Brinstar aren't banned. What makes you think every stage with a hazard is going to be banned right off the bat?

Well depending on where you live, tournament rules differ. In some places, Frigate Orpheon and Brinstar are banned (sometimes).

Edited on by Rosalina

The Queen of the Cosmos
Ashley > Mona > everyone else
◕‿‿ ರೃ
WIFI Game List:
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:
SSB4
MK8

Wii U & 3DS Mii Name: Shiroma

Peach Chronicles

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shinpichu

5,648. Posted:

According to SmashWiki, Frigate Orpheon and Brinstar aren't usually banned in Brawl, though Brinstar is banned in Melee.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Banned_stage

Edited on by shinpichu

BRAND NEW Smash 4 Character poll for 2014! Vote Here:
kwiksurveys.com/app/rendersurvey.asp?sid=4xrbu3cl1mwy6oc281132

Fire Emblem Lord popularity poll! Vote here:
http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=51763efee4b0bd1609c69c04

3DS Friend Code: 2251-3915-5139 | Nintendo Network ID: shinpichu

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Rosalina

5,649. Posted:

shinpichu wrote:

According to SmashWiki, Frigate Orpheon and Brinstar aren't usually banned in Brawl, though Brinstar is banned in Melee.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Banned_stage

Here's a bit more info:
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Frigate_Orpheon#In_competitive_play
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Brinstar#Tournament_Legality

Something pretty funny:

Edited on by Rosalina

The Queen of the Cosmos
Ashley > Mona > everyone else
◕‿‿ ರೃ
WIFI Game List:
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:
SSB4
MK8

Wii U & 3DS Mii Name: Shiroma

Peach Chronicles

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Orngeblu

5,650. Posted:

Rosalina wrote:

Orngeblu wrote:

Rosalina wrote:

That stage can't be that simple. If it were, it wouldn't be banned from tournaments. But wait!! All the previous Metroid stages were banned... So following that pattern, it seems very likely that there will be some sort of stage hazard, thus banning it.

What? Frigate Orpheon and Brinstar aren't banned. What makes you think every stage with a hazard is going to be banned right off the bat?

Well depending on where you live, tournament rules differ. In some places, Frigate Orpheon and Brinstar are banned (sometimes).

Ok, well played. >:I

That's just the Unity Ruleset anyways, a TO can easily change it if they don't want a certain stage. Your link says it's a Counterpick/Banned, so I guess it's both.

But, from what I remember, in Brawl, MK has a huge advantage on Brinstar because the blast zones are closer. I think I remember M2K stringing a bunch of Uairs into tornado as a finisher, KOing them on the top for a star KO.

Edited on by Orngeblu

Brawl Friend Code: 3395-4738-9505
I also have a 3DS and Wii U.

<3 Smash Bros.

Nintendo Network ID: Orngeblu

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Rosalina

5,651. Posted:

@Orngeblu Personally, I don't play in tournaments since I feel it's a bit extreme for me (though I'd love to try it once). When it comes to stage legality, I think certain stages do deserve the ban hammer, while others don't. IMO, Frigate Orpheon and Brinstar are good stages to be played on, but my issue is that hazards can be a bit frequent, at least in my experience. I just wish these stages weren't banned. These stages require players to adapt to the situation but it seems tournaments don't like this kind of thing.

The Queen of the Cosmos
Ashley > Mona > everyone else
◕‿‿ ರೃ
WIFI Game List:
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:
SSB4
MK8

Wii U & 3DS Mii Name: Shiroma

Peach Chronicles

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WingedSnagret

5,652. Posted:

@shinpichu Sorry, I didn't mean all Ridley supporters (heck I'd love to have Ridley as playable), I simply meant the lengths some will go to count something as "evidence" towards such an outcome, no matter how seemingly insignificant, can be sad to see.

Biggest Pikmin fan on NL!

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Orngeblu

5,653. Posted:

WingedSnagret wrote:

@shinpichu Sorry, I didn't mean all Ridley supporters (heck I'd love to have Ridley as playable), I simply meant the lengths some will go to count something as "evidence" towards such an outcome, no matter how seemingly insignificant, can be sad to see.

I think Ridley could have a chance, I'm not even a Ridley supporter, but I believe Sakurai will do almost anything for the fans now, since Ridley has a lot of support, he might do it. I can't wait for the next Direct, I want to be surprised, it could be anything! :3

I'm also worried what version of Smash 4 I should get. I want the Wii U version the most, but I am worried I won't be able to play with my online friends who have the 3DS version. I have a few people in mind who are getting the 3DS version. :( I could try getting both, but it'll be expensive.

Edited on by Orngeblu

Brawl Friend Code: 3395-4738-9505
I also have a 3DS and Wii U.

<3 Smash Bros.

Nintendo Network ID: Orngeblu

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DestinyMan

5,654. Posted:

I'd love to see Ridley be playable as well, but I'm also perfectly fine with him as a stage hazard. I just think that, going by how basic the Pyrosphere stage looks, Ridley might be the one factor to greatly shake it up. I'm not saying that every stage needs hazards, but I just find the large gap in-between the four small platforms fishy. Sakurai's wording from the reveal also implies Ridley's a stage hazard. "An enemy from Samus' past may appear at any second." I interpret that as appearing at any second in the stage.

But that was posted months ago, and if he plays a major role in the stage as a stage hazard, I would think Sakurai would have revealed him sometime soon after the stage reveal, so I'd love to be proven wrong.

Most wanted Smash Bros. newcomers
1. King K. Rool
2. Mii
3. Takamaru
4. Kat & Ana
Little Mac was on the list, but he's been confirmed.
Miiverse
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/DestinyMan

Nintendo Network ID: DestinyMan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Maskeraid

5,655. Posted:

@Orngeblu I'm definitely going with both versions, 'Tis $100 well spent. :3

My Maskloggery
[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

"He say oogly? What means that, oogly?"
"Grr... He means your face would frighten small children! Now be quiet!"

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9222-4787 | Nintendo Network ID: Happy_Masked_Man

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WingedSnagret

5,656. Posted:

DestinyMan wrote:

I'd love to see Ridley be playable as well, but I'm also perfectly fine with him as a stage hazard. I just think that, going by how basic the Pyrosphere stage looks, Ridley might be the one factor to greatly shake it up. I'm not saying that every stage needs hazards, but I just find the large gap in-between the four small platforms fishy. Sakurai's wording from the reveal also implies Ridley's a stage hazard. "An enemy from Samus' past may appear at any second." I interpret that as appearing at any second in the stage.

But that was posted months ago, and if he plays a major role in the stage as a stage hazard, I would think Sakurai would have revealed him sometime soon after the stage reveal, so I'd love to be proven wrong.

Either he's keeping Ridley hidden because he really is playable, he's just trolling (which he loves to do, just look at the Palutena statue as one example), or it could be another Toon Link/Alfonzo situation where something else becomes the hazard if Ridley is being played with.

The last one sounds quite possible since Sakurai could show Ridley as a hazard in a PotD, then, and probably not until the game is released, it'll be revealed that he was also playable all along. The ultimate troll move.

As for who would take Ridley's place as a hazard, it could be one of his other versions (there are many of them), Phantoon, or Nightmare. The latter two were also in Other M so it would still fit plus, like Ridley, they both fly/float.

Biggest Pikmin fan on NL!

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DestinyMan

5,657. Posted:

@WindgedSnagret: Trolling is quite a strong word. The closest Sakurai came to trolling was the Xerneas reveal after Pokemon X and Y. "We have absolutely nothing to announce today about Pokemon X and Pokemon Y. Really!" (shows pic of Pikachu with Xerneas' head behind it).

Edited on by DestinyMan

Most wanted Smash Bros. newcomers
1. King K. Rool
2. Mii
3. Takamaru
4. Kat & Ana
Little Mac was on the list, but he's been confirmed.
Miiverse
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/DestinyMan

Nintendo Network ID: DestinyMan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WingedSnagret

5,658. Posted:

@DestinyMan Okay then, Sakurai has been teasing us. Bottom line, he's been messing with our heads in several instances. Then again if I had a fanbase that was just as annoying and whiny (if Miiverse is anything to go by), I'd probably do the same thing.

Edited on by WingedSnagret

Biggest Pikmin fan on NL!

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SG9000

5,659. Posted:

WingedSnagret wrote:

if I had a fanbase that was just as annoying and whiny (if Miiverse is anything to go by), I'd probably do the same thing.

Same here!

Edited on by SG9000

ACNL Dream Address: 5700-2113-1710

SSB4 Mains: NOT YET

3DS Friend Code: 2535-4951-7201 | Nintendo Network ID: SG9000

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DestinyMan

5,660. Posted:

Untitled
"As shown in Little Mac's debut video, here is the height difference between Samus and Little Mac. He's used those mighty green gloves to punch out many challengers bigger than himself."

Most wanted Smash Bros. newcomers
1. King K. Rool
2. Mii
3. Takamaru
4. Kat & Ana
Little Mac was on the list, but he's been confirmed.
Miiverse
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/DestinyMan

Nintendo Network ID: DestinyMan