Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 25,281 to 25,300 of 27,917

UGXwolf

@TomJ: Not that I'm saying you're right or wrong on anything, but moveset has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not a character should or can get in. Little Mac proves you can have a full moveset with little to no variation in types of attacks and Captain Falcon proved AGES ago that you can have a full moveset with absolutely no reference material to speak of.

As for Layton not getting in? That's obviously because... well just look at Rex's response. He's relatively obscure. (With a character like Captain Rainbow being even more obscure than that, and trust me, there's worse.) As for Pheonix Wright, he was already playable in MvC3. Sakurai could make up a good moveset if he really wanted to. (Again, see Pac-man, Little Mac, and Captain Falcon.) It's more a question of if they'd give Capcom YET ANOTHER rep. I kinda doubt it. Especially seeing as Sakurai probably wants to avoid 3rd parties, at this point.

Finally Isaac. Anyone who says he's "just another sword user" doesn't know the character, at all. The closest anyone comes to filling his role is Robin as a combination sword-and-magic user. People like to whip out bad arguments, but at the end of the day, the only things that matter as to whether or not a character can get into Smash is demand and interest. If Sakurai doesn't wanna do a character, they aren't getting in. If the fans don't show demand for a character, it's not worth working on. Simple as that.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

UGXwolf

@19Robb92: Let's dive into design philosophy. You're gonna need a lot more than just a moveset to design a character. I'm going to focus on Phoenix Wright for this. Let's start with his animations. At no point in the Ace Attorney series do we see characters move slowly and deliberately. Everything is quick, snappy, heavily animated, and highly comical, almost as if the character knew they were in a game and were just acting out parts in a play. As a result, a lot of Wright's moves would also be quick and snappy. He'd have a lot of quick moves that seem to have no real start-up lag, but on the flipside, he'd need to hold poses mid-attack, meaning he'd have recovery lag.

Let's look at Wright's playstyle. If you've ever played Ace Attorney, you know that Wright has a knack for bringing things back from near failure. He always seems to be painted into a corner, but finds another way to reach his goal, anyways. He's clever and quick, when he needs to be, but unless he has an airtight argument, he's gonna get shot full of holes. I could see Wright being a high-skill/high-reward character that has a lot of potential and the ability to keep characters from fighting back, under the right circumstances. He'd have the ability to drag matches back from near failure, if played right, but is, of course, at high risk, when he does so.

So what can we pull inspiration from for his move set? Well, most famously, he has his word bubbles and snappy poses, but there's also the psyche locks that could function as a good final smash or defensive move. In truth, a lot of his moveset would be made up on the spot, though, or pulled from MvC3, since Wright doesn't see much real action in the games. He'd be fast with relatively weak hits and good combo potential, unless you get him above a certain damage point (let's say 120%), at which point, his kill potential receives a MUCH needed boost. This would make him a hard character to net kills with unless he's on the ropes, which is where Wright is known to do his best work.

From what I've described, Wright sounds like an interesting mix of Wii Fit Trainer, Ryu, and Lucario. I would totally play as that character.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

veeflames

@TomJ Well, I know that @UGXWolf already explained that the lack of moves that make a reference to the main series is irrelevant, but if you are still looking for a Professor Layton moveset complete with a Final Smash and specials, here you go:

@Rexcalibr Why, Professor Layton's only the perfect gentleman. In his games, you control the Professor and his apprentice(s) as they try to solve the main mystery, but the highlight of the series is that you solve said mystery while solving puzzles. Now the puzzles in the Professor Layton are generally not your average daily brain teasers. Most of them demand serious branipower. If you're not into solving puzzles, then while I would still recommend the games to anyone in a heartbeat, Professor Layton games might not be for you.
Now from what I have just said, how the heck will a puzzle-solving gentleman fit into Smash? It just so happens that Professor Layton is a skilled fencer. He's also very intelligent, which means he can employ other means (along with his fencing blade) of inflicting damage on other fighters. See the above link for my ideal potential Professor Layton moveset.

Edited on by veeflames

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

NintendoFan64

@Mario90125 I assumed so. Just giving confirmation that it's fake.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Tsuchinoko

Hey guys. What did I miss?

Just kidding, everything is crazy with work, but thought I'd pop in since I'm hyped for PAX news.

And Shovel Knight? Who knows? Could happen.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

NintendoFan64

There's one thing about how people have reacted to the rumor that's really annoying me: They're mad at the possibility of Shovel Knight getting in instead of a Nintendo character. Uh...guys? You know there's going to be more than one character coming out of the ballot, right? IF Shovel Knight gets in, that doesn't mean we can't also get K Rool and Isaac. Now, if you're upset over the possibility of Shovel Knight getting in over someone more iconic like Bomberman, then that's a different story.

Tsuchinoko

I don't know how I feel about it. We still don't have a Shovel Knight game released here in Japan so I can't really gauge its impact or relationship to Nintendo in the west.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

NintendoFan64

@Tsuchinoko: It's a good game. I'd recommend giving it a try when it gets there. Any who, here's how I feel about the rumor: The only problem I'd have with him is that he isn't as iconic a guest character as the ones we've already got, and characters like Bomberman or Rayman I feel deserve to be in just a little bit more. Other than that...yeah! I'd be all for it!

MsJubilee

NintyMan wrote:

GAME Brighton claims a Shovel Knight amiibo is happening.
Untitled
No mention of Smash Bros., though.

You know what? I'm okay with that i will buy that if it does come.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Joeynator3000

Looks more believable...would say it's fake, but I just woke up and didn't notice that the Amiibo is for Shovel Knight the game, and not Smash. xD
Wonder if we'll get other characters or even bosses.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

NintendoFan64

Oh my God, I need that! I demand that they accept my money for it!

NintendoFan64

Oh my God...this is someone's reaction to the amiibo. Grab some popcorn, folks:

"i give up.... shovel knight should not be in smash .. i give up..... you kids and your indie games ruined everything.... iwata was right both the indie scene and the mobile gaming market would devalue video games....... gg video games are DEAD ......

enjoy your shovel knight in smash...

a slot in smash bros is holy ....(should i say was)

only characters with a long history in the gaming space and a long history with nintendo should be in smash.....

just really shovel knight got in over ray man & shantae????..... the end is near

you know what lets bring in all the video game character to smash the flood gates are open now just like the usa border let them all in right??? who cares at this point.... the country is already falling apart........

shovel knight is an illegal immigrant

lets have all kingdomhearts characters join smash as well...
and lets have crash bandicoot too ....."
First of all, this doesn't mean he'll be in Smash. Second, oh, boo-hoo! Let me play you a sad song on the world's smallest violin!

DreamyViridi

NintendoFan64 wrote:

First of all, this doesn't mean he'll be in Smash...

This bit needs to be emphasized. Nintendo news does not always equal Smash Bros. news. Chill.

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

Hendesu

I just don't see Shovel Knight in Smash Bros. It means that any character could be in Smash with ease.

Some random dude on Nintendo Life.
Toriel left for a while, so Freaky Fred took over her place!
Not changing this part of the signature until Nintendo announces Super Mario Sunshine 2.
[Started 10/31/15]

Nintendo Network ID: DarkSperow

DefHalan

NightmareEater wrote:

I just don't see Shovel Knight in Smash Bros. It means that any character could be in Smash with ease.

Which means Ninja Turtles should be in Smash Bros.
Untitled

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

IceClimbers

I've seen people claim that this amiibo confirms Shovel Knight for Smash, and I've seen people claim that it deconfirms him. In actuality, it does neither. This Shovel Knight amiibo has nothing to do with Smash Bros. Simple as that. 3rd parties have always had access to amiibo. Interesting though that the first fully 3rd party amiibo is from an indie developer (Pac-Man, Mega Man, and Sonic are Smash amiibo, while the Skylanders amiibo are of Nintendo characters, so Nintendo is actively involved in both past owning the amiibo branding and therefore they do not count).

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Hendesu

DefHalan wrote:

NightmareEater wrote:

Untitled

I rather have TMNT in Smash Bros than Shovel Knight any day.

Not changing this part of the signature until Nintendo announces Super Mario Sunshine 2.
[Started 10/31/15]

DefHalan

NightmareEater wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

NightmareEater wrote:

Untitled

Why not both? (or all 5, I guess)

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Hendesu

DefHalan wrote:

NightmareEater wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

NightmareEater wrote:

Untitled

Why not both? (or all 5, I guess)

They can be all alts similar to Bowser Jr and the kooplaings.

[Started 10/31/15]

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic