Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 15,221 to 15,240 of 27,917

Blast

The roster is pretty cool but I gotta agree that these clone characters should be costume changes instead of spot takers. Like Daisy can be a costume change for Peach. Same goes for Lucina, Dr. Mario and ESPECIALLY Dark Pit. Alph is a costume change for Olimar and that's totally fine. I have nothing against these characters but c'mon... another MARIO character? Bowser Jr. jumps in while Ice Climbers, Mewtwo and others sadly walk away? Just what the heck is going on? I'm not mad at the roster. I think its pretty nice and exciting but there are still some odd decisions that I just don't understand.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

IceClimbers

Undead_terror wrote:

Also did anyone imagine if PETA complained that having Duck Hunt Dog in the game would be animal abuse?that would be laughable and sad at the same time.

Well, they're not wrong.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

CapeSmash

What's up with all the Doctor Mario hate?

Seriously, WHAT DID DOCTOR MARIO DO SO WRONG TO YOU PEOPLE!?!? ;~;

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

MsJubilee

@Blast Wow you made me think about sakurai decision of the roster asking myself"Why did these clones get a slot and these characters that could have been clones like daisy and alph get made into alternate costumes? And better yet why did sakurai make more clones for no reason and just cut off characters that were loved and used in smash?". And the thing that makes me think is sakurai blinded by the love he has for his games? Cause he added Dark pit a character that has one little role in his game and he deserves to be in smash?That's not fair now i have some hate and love for the roster with all these clones.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Undead_terror

IceClimbers wrote:

Undead_terror wrote:

Also did anyone imagine if PETA complained that having Duck Hunt Dog in the game would be animal abuse?that would be laughable and sad at the same time.

Well, they're not wrong.

But we will have to go through the same thing like aways, it's just a game, fiction, and if anyone were to harm a dog after this then they must not be mentally healthy or know the difference between right and wrong.

Sp00ky scary skeleton back to play games and dew other fine things indead!
The Graveyard (Backloggery) l Nintendo ID: Undead_terror

Switch Friend Code: SW-8251-5734-1036 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | My Nintendo: Undead_terror | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror | Twitter:

IceClimbers

Blast wrote:

The roster is pretty cool but I gotta agree that these clone characters should be costume changes instead of spot takers. Like Daisy can be a costume change for Peach. Same goes for Lucina, Dr. Mario and ESPECIALLY Dark Pit. Alph is a costume change for Olimar and that's totally fine. I have nothing against these characters but c'mon... another MARIO character? Bowser Jr. jumps in while Ice Climbers, Mewtwo and others sadly walk away? Just what the heck is going on? I'm not mad at the roster. I think its pretty nice and exciting but there are still some odd decisions that I just don't understand.

Without Lucina, Dr Mario, and Dark Pit, the roster would just be smaller. They didn't get in over any other character. Those that were cut or didn't make it in would still not be in the roster.

Ice Climbers were cut due to technical issues with the 3DS version. That AI is harder to program than Luma or the Pikmin, which don't function the same way. Time constraints likely forced Sakurai to cut Ice Climbers - if the game was coming out next year (both versions), then Ice Climbers could possibly be in. As for Mewtwo, we have no evidence he was actually in the roster at all.

IceClimbers

Undead_terror wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

Undead_terror wrote:

Well, they're not wrong.

But we will have to go through the same thing like aways, it's just a game, fiction, and if anyone were to harm a dog after this then they must not be mentally healthy or know the difference between right and wrong.

You do realize that every single person who has played Duck Hunt has wanted to shoot that dog? Now we get to kick it's *** in Smash Bros. If you've seen Duck Hunt Dog's Final Smash, it will feel extremely satisfying to use it on another Duck Hunt Dog. Sweet, sweet revenge.

Undead_terror

IceClimbers wrote:

Undead_terror wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

Undead_terror wrote:

Well, they're not wrong.

You do realize that every single person who has played Duck Hunt has wanted to shoot that dog? Now we get to kick it's *** in Smash Bros. If you've seen Duck Hunt Dog's Final Smash, it will feel extremely satisfying to use it on another Duck Hunt Dog. Sweet, sweet revenge.

Ah yes 911, we got a insane person who wants to kill animals, dogs are his main focus nah...we just say that stuff to PETA

enjoy!

Switch Friend Code: SW-8251-5734-1036 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | My Nintendo: Undead_terror | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror | Twitter:

UGXwolf

@IceClimbers I still don't believe that it was technical difficulties that got the Climbers cut. Despite all that you guys have said I simply do not see how the Ice Climbers are more complex than RosaLuma or even the Pikmin, for that matter. I also don't believe Olimar got pushed down to three Pikmin because of technical difficulties. I feel it was more likely a balancing change, as they were removing random elements and they wanted to nerf him a bit to keep that from getting OP.

And to be fair, we only actually know that Lucina didn't get in over some other character. For all we know, Dr. Mario and Dark Pit got in, but kept the team from putting Wolf and Lucas in. Sakurai's comment only actually applies to Lucina. It's just assumed that it applies to Dr. Mario and Dark Pit, but that's really the problem, isn't it? We don't actually know.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Blast

midnafanboy wrote:

@Blast Wow you made me think about sakurai decision of the roster asking myself"Why did these clones get a slot and these characters that could have been clones like daisy and alph get made into alternate costumes? And better yet why did sakurai make more clones for no reason and just cut off characters that were loved and used in smash?". And the thing that makes me think is sakurai blinded by the love he has for his games? Cause he added Dark pit a character that has one little role in his game and he deserves to be in smash?That's not fair now i have some hate and love for the roster with all these clones.

Kid Icarus: Uprising is a great game and Dark Pit was a cool character.... but I still say many people would've been just fine with him as a costume alternate for Pit instead of taking a valuable character spot. Why isn't Lucina just a alternate costume for freaking Marth?! Nobody would be upset! And look at Bowser Jr.... he looks cool and fun to play as but c'mon... like C'MON... too many freaking Mario characters running around while other franchises like Donkey Kong get neglected. Now I understand how people who wanted Dixie Kong as a fighter are rolling their eyes and punching a wall in frustration. Once again... I think the roster is cool and exciting but some of these choices just aren't making any sense to me.

Master of the Hype Train

Blast

UGXwolf wrote:

@IceClimbers I still don't believe that it was technical difficulties that got the Climbers cut. Despite all that you guys have said I simply do not see how the Ice Climbers are more complex than RosaLuma or even the Pikmin, for that matter. I also don't believe Olimar got pushed down to three Pikmin because of technical difficulties. I feel it was more likely a balancing change, as they were removing random elements and they wanted to nerf him a bit to keep that from getting OP.

And to be fair, we only actually know that Lucina didn't get in over some other character. For all we know, Dr. Mario and Dark Pit got in, but kept the team from putting Wolf and Lucas in. Sakurai's comment only actually applies to Lucina. It's just assumed that it applies to Dr. Mario and Dark Pit, but that's really the problem, isn't it? We don't actually know.

You might hate me for this but I'm almost positive if that the 3DS version didn't exist at all.... that the Ice Climbers would STILL be playable. Sorry but I think its the 3DS fault that Ice Climbers aren't playable.

Master of the Hype Train

UGXwolf

@Undead_terror

Standard A - Jab combo
Tilts - Close range. Only appear to be good for people getting to close.
Smashes - Close range. Probably good against Little Mac. Not so sure you'll want that against someone like Rosalina or Robin.
Up-Special - Decent distance. Makes him viable for recoveries.
Side-Special - Long ranged Frisbee? Seems like it could be a spacing tool. I wonder how much damage it does.
Neutral-Special - Long ranged gunman? Another effective spacing tool that kinda works like a turret. I could see this being used to manipulate an opponent's position. Perhaps to get them on a platform where you're about to set a...
Down-Special - Explosive can? Kinda reminds me of how Snake players handle their grenades, but less spammy. If you can get your opponent where you want them, this could very well be a valuable attack, and/or kill move, depending on the knock back.

His aerials look a bit standard, so their effectiveness and his usefulness in the air will just depend on how much damage and knockback they do, though I suppose that's always the case. I can't really do anything in-depth without a copy of the game, but this appears to be his moveset, for the most part.

Duck Hunt's animations are all pretty cute, too. Especially those taunts and that idle animation. I'm gonna love seeing this character. He definitely seems like a good character for strategic players, but appears to have a bit of a weakness to long-ranged opponents. We didn't even really see how far his Frisbee goes, so we don't know if it's even that long of a range. (Before someone points it out, I know it's a clay pigeon and not a Frisbee, but Frisbee is so much easier to say and gets the point across just as well.)

I'm gonna go ahead and say that close-range characters like Little Mac and big targets like Bowser, DK, and Charizard will be at a bit of a disadvantage, but long ranged and similarly strategic characters like Olimar, Robin, or even RosaLuma will have a minor advantage.

UGXwolf

@Blast I don't hate you for what you think, but I still don't believe the Ice Climbers were cut due to technical difficulties.

Blast

UGXwolf wrote:

@Blast I don't hate you for what you think, but I still don't believe the Ice Climbers were cut due to technical difficulties.

Well if it wasn't for the 3DS' technical difficulties... then what was it??? Ice Climbers are pretty popular and well liked and Sakurai KNOWS that. Why did they suddenly get cut???

Master of the Hype Train

UGXwolf

Blast wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

Well if it wasn't for the 3DS' technical difficulties... then what was it??? Ice Climbers are pretty popular and well liked and Sakurai KNOWS that. Why did they suddenly get cut???

There's any number of possible reasons. Perhaps Sakurai decided they didn't fit the meta or thought Rosalina took up their gameplay role and made it a lot more accessible. Maybe he decided that Duck Hunt and ROB covered that time period well enough, or maybe he just didn't get around to them.

Undead_terror

UGXwolf wrote:

Blast wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

There's any number of possible reasons. Perhaps Sakurai decided they didn't fit the meta or thought Rosalina took up their gameplay role and made it a lot more accessible. Maybe he decided that Duck Hunt and ROB covered that time period well enough, or maybe he just didn't get around to them.

All I can say is let's wait to see if DLC will be a thing and if they don't come then they don't come!

UGXwolf

Undead_terror wrote:

Untitled

Oh these lulz I'm having. What if Sakurai pulled something like this? Like "So we know how you lucky players that got the game early have been streaming a lot of this game in advance. However, I should probably inform you that there are a few secret characters that the game doesn't acknowledge until you get them and they're much harder to obtain. Good luck trying to find them, because we won't be giving you any hints! Ta-ra~"

UGXwolf wrote:

@Undead_terror

Standard A - Jab combo
Tilts - Close range. Only appear to be good for people getting to close.
Smashes - Close range. Probably good against Little Mac. Not so sure you'll want that against someone like Rosalina or Robin.
Up-Special - Decent distance. Makes him viable for recoveries.
Side-Special - Long ranged Frisbee? Seems like it could be a spacing tool. I wonder how much damage it does.
Neutral-Special - Long ranged gunman? Another effective spacing tool that kinda works like a turret. I could see this being used to manipulate an opponent's position. Perhaps to get them on a platform where you're about to set a...
Down-Special - Explosive can? Kinda reminds me of how Snake players handle their grenades, but less spammy. If you can get your opponent where you want them, this could very well be a valuable attack, and/or kill move, depending on the knock back.

His aerials look a bit standard, so their effectiveness and his usefulness in the air will just depend on how much damage and knockback they do, though I suppose that's always the case. I can't really do anything in-depth without a copy of the game, but this appears to be his moveset, for the most part.

Duck Hunt's animations are all pretty cute, too. Especially those taunts and that idle animation. I'm gonna love seeing this character. He definitely seems like a good character for strategic players, but appears to have a bit of a weakness to long-ranged opponents. We didn't even really see how far his Frisbee goes, so we don't know if it's even that long of a range. (Before someone points it out, I know it's a clay pigeon and not a Frisbee, but Frisbee is so much easier to say and gets the point across just as well.)

I'm gonna go ahead and say that close-range characters like Little Mac and big targets like Bowser, DK, and Charizard will be at a bit of a disadvantage, but long ranged and similarly strategic characters like Olimar, Robin, or even RosaLuma will have a minor advantage.

Also, what do you guys think of my on-the-spot analysis? Any ideas? Changes you think need to be made? Things you noticed that I didn't?

MegaStoneSmash91

I'm pretty pleased with the roster. The characters I wanted to return most are all there, some fantastic newcomers, some great oddballs, and the size is excellent.

One thing I will say is that the Mario representation is a bit much, though it isn't a huge problem. I don't mind Dr. Mario's return since I enjoyed playing him in Melee. Bowser Jr. is nice to see, and having the Koopalings (basically) playable is a neat little bonus. Lucina doesn't bother me, though I could really take or leave Dark Pit. Not too interested in him. Duck Hunt dog is an interesting inclusion, but I like it.

Beep.
That is all.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0896-8068-4007 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic