Wii U Forum

Topic: Should wii u have achievements/trophies

Showing 141 to 160 of 233

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

141. Posted:

Mercury9 wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Mercury9 wrote:

The_Fox wrote:

No, not really.

So you'd be happy techically achieving nothing?

...that's the definition of doing anything in a video game.:|

Then if Nintendo sell out and go the way of MS in regards to meaningless achievements, you'll be over the moon presumably?

I don't see how that's selling out, because that's exactly what most people who do get achievements are already fine with.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mercury9

142. Posted:

A game that people struggle with achievements is no different just because it may be on a Nintendo console and not PS3/360. Take away achievable content. If you are struggling with an achievement and can't do it, It makes no difference on the console you're playing on. You may never achieve it. If Nintendo go down this root (I hope they don't) the casual camp may be very annoyed. Nintendo have a job on their hands here lol

Feed the hardcore but not allowing the casual to starve.

I may breeze through Assassins Creed III's achievements but may come to a complete standstill on the next Mario title. We all have a personal preference and definition of what is simplistic and what is difficult.

Edited on by Mercury9

Join .www.mkart7.com - Free to enter and great fun!
Mario Kart 7 competitions, great prizes and much more!
3DS FC: 3222-5621-9481
3DS Username: mkart7.com
www.facebook.com/MercuryIX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Wheels2050

143. Posted:

Mercury9 wrote:

A game that people struggle with achievements is no different just because it may be on a Nintendo console and not PS3/360. Take away achievable content. If you are struggling with an achievement and can't do it, It makes no difference on the console you're playing on. You may never achieve it. If Nintendo go down this root (I hope they don't) the casual camp may be very annoyed. Nintendo have a a job on their hands here lol

Feed the hardcore but not allowing the casual to starve.

I don't think anybody was suggesting that it is dependent on the console.

Currently, the majority of achievements on all platforms are not linked to unlockable content. I'm aware unlockable content exists, but it generally requires a simple playthrough of a level or something like that, and isn't generally too challenging.

If achievements become linked to unlockables, they need to be challenging (otherwise it's pointless to have them) but not TOO challenging. Where that line is drawn is important, in my opinion.

Edited on by Wheels2050

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

144. Posted:

Mercury9 wrote:

A game that people struggle with achievements is no different just because it may be on a Nintendo console and not PS3/360. Take away achievable content. If you are struggling with an achievement and can't do it, It makes no difference on the console you're playing on. You may never achieve it. If Nintendo go down this root (I hope they don't) the casual camp may be very annoyed. Nintendo have a job on their hands here lol

Feed the hardcore but not allowing the casual to starve.

If you're struggling with an achievment, simply stop trying to get it. You're not missing out on anything other than self-satisfaction.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mercury9

145. Posted:

As you obviously know, Kid Icarus Uprising features unlockable content. Some of which I am slightly struggling with but it features unlockable content. That's the incentive. I may never unlock some of them but maybe through trial and error, one day I just might! That's what keeps you playing right? Whether it be linked to the Wii U or a stand alone game, unlockable content is a good thing. It was a mere thought of mine that it could be achievement related.

If I was into achievements, I'd like to struggle with an achievement if I knew I would get something however minute for my troubles upon completion rather than looking at a worded pop up :P

Edited on by Mercury9

Join .www.mkart7.com - Free to enter and great fun!
Mario Kart 7 competitions, great prizes and much more!
3DS FC: 3222-5621-9481
3DS Username: mkart7.com
www.facebook.com/MercuryIX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

146. Posted:

Mercury9 wrote:

If I was into achievements, I'd like to struggle with an achievement if I knew I would get something however minute for my troubles upon completion rather than looking at a worded pop up :P

You don't get much satisfaction out of accomplishing things, do you?

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mercury9

147. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

You don't get much satisfaction out of accomplishing things, do you?

I'd personally like to have something that I can show for achieving something. It's like Fable saying, " Oh, I see you just killed -insert boss- fancy some points instead of your usual end of boss decorative trophy?" :P

Imagine Mario Kart 7 awarding points instead of kart parts for your trouble. Wii U is not a 360/PS3 whether or not it's (ugh) hardcore. It doesn't need to be. Nintendo for me is about the unknown, the random and the quirkiness. Personally, the joy of achievements is deflated when you know that right from the get go, the reward will only ever be a small virtual number.

Once again, I am by no means a fan of achievements but I'd like to see Nintendo add a purpose for them besides static numbers or just don't bother including them at all :)

Edited on by Mercury9

Join .www.mkart7.com - Free to enter and great fun!
Mario Kart 7 competitions, great prizes and much more!
3DS FC: 3222-5621-9481
3DS Username: mkart7.com
www.facebook.com/MercuryIX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

FiveDigitLP

148. Posted:

I will say that I do find some satisfaction in getting certain acheivements or getting all of the acheivements in a particular game. But personally, I like using acheivements as a way to see how far someone else is on a game. If someone else is playing a game I've played, I'll go in and look at how many they've gotten from the primary story. Also, it gives me a way to gauge if they like the same kinds of games as I do. If I go through and see that somebody has gotten a bunch of acheivements on NCAA 20__ or Forza 10, I think "Meh." But if I see that they have most of the acheivements on the Assassin's Creed games and Alan Wake, I think, "Cool. This person likes the same kind of games as I do."

Anyway, I guess to summarize, I would just like a global way to see what games friends play and how they're playing them. That's how I use them with my 360, and that's what I wish the 3DS could do, instead of just seeing their most recently played and/or their favorite game.

My Monstrous Backlog: Gloorg
Visit FiveDigitLP's Safari. Handing out Nosepasses and Pupitars since 2013!

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7090-4051 | Nintendo Network ID: 5DigitLP | Twitter: FiveDigitLP

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

149. Posted:

Mercury9 wrote:

Imagine Mario Kart 7 awarding points instead of kart parts for your trouble.

It would be like Mario Kart DS all over again. Last I checked, people thought that game was fun. :P

You talk as if achievements mean no unlockables, which it definitely doesn't. I still unlock things the usual way in Call of Duty, BlazBlue, Final Fantasy, etc. It's just that now I have some extra achievements I can get.

And for the record, trophies/achievements are meant to be something to show you accomplished something within the game. How else are you supposed to prove that you did indeed jump from the highest point in the game but you didn't have your camera on, than with the in-game trophy? :P

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mercury9

150. Posted:

Of course it's fun! You unlock extra players and karts by achieving things. The incentive is achieving things that result in usable rewards. For all anyone knows, achievements and trophy's may well be fluked or gained by pure luck maybe even by bugs.That goes for all games! You may have luck on your side when you win a Mario Kart race and finish 1st or maybe you fluked Gigantuar in FF13. You may get the award yes but it's not always down to skill. They are nothing more than screen filler unless they serve an actual purpose.

Whatever the reason for the achievement, for me having someone show me a polygonal trophy would not float my Red Lion!

Edited on by Mercury9

Join .www.mkart7.com - Free to enter and great fun!
Mario Kart 7 competitions, great prizes and much more!
3DS FC: 3222-5621-9481
3DS Username: mkart7.com
www.facebook.com/MercuryIX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

151. Posted:

Luck plays a part in everything in life. Just because luck played a part makes it no less a victory. You're a Mario Kart Player, you should know that.

And what do you say to those people who earn trophies in real life? What do you say to their accomplishments? Digital trophies are no different. Am I to assume you think nothing of the guy who got the last touchdown at his high school Football play-offs just because all he earned was a trophy that "serves no purpose"?

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mercury9

152. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

Digital trophies are no different. Am I to assume you think nothing of the guy who got the last touchdown at his high school Football play-offs just because all he earned was a trophy that "serves no purpose"?

Really? Lol they couldn't be any more different! Someone who competes and wins a trophy has an actual trophy to show off. They have trained and worked hard for it and of course you may not assume I meant that because I never said it , hinted at it or touched upon it in relation to real life sports :)

This is a topic regarding Wii U achievements lol let's at least bicker on topic! :D

I think if Nintendo are planning/going to unveil a 360-esque online profile card then maybe some form of displayable information would be good. I would really like to see, at the very least in regards to achievements, players being able to unlock Play Coins as awards for playing games and beating goals. They could even be swapped between Wii U and 3DS for puzzle pieces and the quest. The quest of which would be good expanded upon and maybe have online multiplayer ala Opoona.

Unlockable and usable play coins would be a good universal idea for achievement like content right?

Edited on by Mercury9

Join .www.mkart7.com - Free to enter and great fun!
Mario Kart 7 competitions, great prizes and much more!
3DS FC: 3222-5621-9481
3DS Username: mkart7.com
www.facebook.com/MercuryIX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

153. Posted:

Face it, trophies mean nothing. They're just there for replay value. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mercury9

154. Posted:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Face it, trophies mean nothing. They're just there for replay value. Nothing more, nothing less.

Well, that and an excuse for devs to delude themselves over the actual length of their games.

Join .www.mkart7.com - Free to enter and great fun!
Mario Kart 7 competitions, great prizes and much more!
3DS FC: 3222-5621-9481
3DS Username: mkart7.com
www.facebook.com/MercuryIX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

155. Posted:

Mercury9 wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Digital trophies are no different. Am I to assume you think nothing of the guy who got the last touchdown at his high school Football play-offs just because all he earned was a trophy that "serves no purpose"?

Really? Lol they couldn't be any more different! Someone who competes and wins a trophy has an actual trophy to show off. They have trained and worked hard for it and of course you may not assume I meant that because I never said it , hinted at it or touched upon it in relation to real life sports :)

...it's called an analogy. And yeah, it's similar. You think people don't work for their achievements? Getting a platinum in any game is hard $#!+ man. And a Virtual trophy serves the same purpose as a real trophy. They're just something to show off to people. Saying digital trophies mean nothing is the same as saying real life trophies mean nothing.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mercury9

156. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

And a Physical trophy serves the same purpose as a real trophy.

D'oh! :D

I don't like achievements and cannot see the point so the idea of someone spending hours to get something virtual is beyond me. Don't do it Nintendo! Unlockables are ok!

Edited on by Mercury9

Join .www.mkart7.com - Free to enter and great fun!
Mario Kart 7 competitions, great prizes and much more!
3DS FC: 3222-5621-9481
3DS Username: mkart7.com
www.facebook.com/MercuryIX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

157. Posted:

Nintendo has already done achievements before. Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Wario Land Shake It! and Xenoblade to name three.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mercury9

158. Posted:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Nintendo has already done achievements before. Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Wario Land Shake It! and Xenoblade to name three.

Content based achievements :)

As much as I don't like 360/PS3-esque achievements, I would like to see more games contain award systems like that of Brawl and KIU. Plenty of variety, creeping difficulty and multiple types of unlockable content.

Edited on by Mercury9

Join .www.mkart7.com - Free to enter and great fun!
Mario Kart 7 competitions, great prizes and much more!
3DS FC: 3222-5621-9481
3DS Username: mkart7.com
www.facebook.com/MercuryIX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

159. Posted:

Mercury9 wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

And a Physical trophy serves the same purpose as a real trophy.

D'oh! :D

I don't like achievements and cannot see the point so the idea of someone spending hours to get something virtual is beyond me. Don't do it Nintendo! Unlockables are ok!

I still don't see why they shouldn't do it when they don't effect you as is.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

160. Posted:

Mercury9 wrote:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

Nintendo has already done achievements before. Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Wario Land Shake It! and Xenoblade to name three.

Content based achievements :)

Still achievements whether you like it or not.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury