Forums

Topic: mind = blown that you can't play DVDs on the Wii U

Posts 141 to 148 of 148

SomeBitTripFan

There are far more questions that this thread raises in my head than I can ask, but the answer to this whole deal is simple. Nintendo doesn't allow the Wii U to play DVD's because they don't want to pay the licensing fees to include the feature, when just about everyone has a DVD player and anyone who doesn't doesn't have any DVD's anyway. You can buy a DVD player for less than the cost of most video games. This shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, I'm going to go slather shrimp sauce on all of NoA's doorknobs since my Wii U can't play these:
Untitled

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

gcunit

@faint While I have no idea what impact it had on sales figures, the Wii became soft-moddable relatively early on in its life, iirc, which traditionally was associated with boosting hardware sales as all the gleeful pirates jump on board. How many less Wiis would have sold otherwise, I've no idea.

Once soft-modded it also became easy to play DVDs on the Wii.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

shaneoh

faint wrote:

I can promise you that anyone who picked one up to soft mod it picked one up used.

I certainly did. I didn't want to risk bricking the system with my Animal Crossing save on it, I sunk too much time into it.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

skywake

It's also worth pointing out that the Wii was only soft-modable after around 2008 or so. That's when the TP exploit was discovered. And even then I'm not convinced it had much of an impact on sales. Wii sales actually peaked in 2008. If people can't make an argument without revising history? Well then maybe their argument isn't very good.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

rockodoodle

32 gigs- on the surface sounds pretty skimpy, but most Nintendo games aren't very big. And at least you don't have to load disks onto the hard drive. I found this as far more of a buzz kill on my XBone than the 32 gigs on my Wii U.

As for DVDs- I don't really use them that often. MAYBE three-four times per year. As mentioned, most people have a DVD player in some capacity. DVD support is not included in Windows 10.

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

I was only thinking about this this morning and how Nintendo when the NX arrives will finally have an excuse not to be able to perform such a simple and commonplace feature. I still anticipate seeing messages on screen saying this video requires a flash player. It is stupid and annoying that you pay more and get less with Nintendo. They scrimp and cut corners all the time passing on some additional expenses to us like buying a proper battery for the gamepad or having to buy a decent hard drive(32GB's was a disgrace). And in a lot of cases there is no solution to problems unless you use a different device. It's a joke that I'm seeing ads for PS4/XB1 on TV all the time cheaper than a Wii U, are more powerful than a Wii U in every way and have more functionality.

rockodoodle

Joeynator3000

@WilliamsA Do not post spam, or spam in threads that have been inactive for longer than 6 months...

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.