Wii U Forum

Topic: f&$)(@ Region Locking, Nintendo

Showing 21 to 40 of 98

AuthorMessage
Avatar

mastersworddude

21. Posted:

Untitled

Playstation Network: Chaos2K10
3DS Friend Code: 4210-4911-1401

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KaiserGX

22. Posted:

Hmm... I'll try out Romance of the Three Kingdoms on VC for now then...

Kachou on!

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4029-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

23. Posted:

really? Really?

i forgot about this, ugh. Region locking has never, repeat, NEVER helped anyone EVER. EVER! EVER!!! If you think it is a good idea, you are wrong and should feel bad.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

24. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

really? Really?

i forgot about this, ugh. Region locking has never, repeat, NEVER helped anyone EVER. EVER! EVER!!! If you think it is a good idea, you are wrong and should feel bad.

Reggie disagrees :)

Nintendo Life moderator and duck. Nintendo sux!

My Retrologgery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

25. Posted:

@lz: reggie probably has no control whatsoever over it. decisions that huge more than likely are handed down straight from headquarters in Japan.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ElectricSplash

26. Posted:

Know that feeling, bro. Have to wait till SMT:DS Overclocked relased here, when in the DS i cuold buy it and play happily just as Retro Game Challenge. Oh, and probably no Project X Zone for me.

My Backloggery

Twitter: Benjamin_Rosa

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GameLord08

27. Posted:

WhiteKnight wrote:

Region-locking is in place for a bigger and better reason than to cater to this. An unfortunate circumstance, but nothing more.

It's an outdated business imperative that drives the practice of region locking. Not a "bigger and better" reason at all.

Trust me on this one. Bigger and better reason.

Let us not judge a man by the colour of his skin, but by the character he chooses to battle with in Brawl.

Twitter: FaridaKYusuf

AuthorMessage
Avatar

the_shpydar

28. Posted:

@Waltz
This is a bit of a tangent to the thread topic, but I'd be curious to hear your views on Region-locking with respect to the movie industry (i.e., different region formatting of DVDs). Obviously it's a different medium/industry, but of course there are some similarities bewteen the two.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 21 Copies. 2 Sealed, 6 CIB, 3 Boxed, 10 Loose.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

29. Posted:

the_shpydar wrote:

@Waltz
This is a bit of a tangent to the thread topic, but I'd be curious to hear your views on Region-locking with respect to the movie industry (i.e., different region formatting of DVDs). Obviously it's a different medium/industry, but of course there are some similarities bewteen the two.

Again, completely pointless.

The laws regarding content and age classifications only apply to material sold in the specific region. An R rated movie sold in Australia has to be treated as an R rated movie when sold in Australia.

Obvious enough stuff. However, there are no laws preventing the import of overseas material for personal use, unless a piece of content is deemed illegal (different from refusing to classify something, which is merely "banning"). Jumping on to the US PSN store and buying a banned movie in Australia is not against the law - in the sense that the hardware manufacturer of the device accessing the PSN store does not have to take steps to prevent people from accessing that material.

Therefore there is no legal reason to prevent people from buying whatever from overseas. The reason behind region locking is commercial, and that reason become redundant the moment that iTunes and the app stores became a thing. Various content owners are desperately hanging on to region locking in the hope that the world stops progressing, but those organisations are the ones that are headed for a world of pain.

Having a time restriction in the UK for some games shouldn't be an excuse for region locking. In fact, if in Australia I was to change my region to the UK, I would be able to access Zombie U at a funny time. I can do that because the Wii U in Australia is the same format as the UK and isn't 'region locked.'

So, no, Nintendo isn't region locking for legal reasons. It is for commercial purposes.

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SMEXIZELDAMAN

30. Posted:

Who wants to play a game in Japanese anyways? It won't be kawaii desu.

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ElectricSplash

31. Posted:

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

Who wants to play a game in Japanese anyways? It won't be kawaii desu.

Some games are import friendly and doesnt need nearly any idea of japanese to understand. IE Hatsune Miku: Project Diva for PSP. Also, FFFFFFF i can't import Project mirai.

My Backloggery

Twitter: Benjamin_Rosa

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SMEXIZELDAMAN

32. Posted:

BenjaminRosa wrote:

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

Who wants to play a game in Japanese anyways? It won't be kawaii desu.

Some games are import friendly and doesnt need nearly any idea of japanese to understand. IE Hatsune Miku: Project Diva for PSP. Also, FFFFFFF i can't import Project mirai.

Perhaps that download isn't in your future then? :D Geheheheheh. :D I crack myself up.

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

33. Posted:

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

Who wants to play a game in Japanese anyways? It won't be kawaii desu.

Those of us who can read and speak Japanese.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SMEXIZELDAMAN

34. Posted:

WhiteKnight wrote:

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

Who wants to play a game in Japanese anyways? It won't be kawaii desu.

Those of us who can read and speak Japanese.

You're mad desu

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

AuthorMessage
Avatar

JohnPhilipSousa

35. Posted:

Nintendo mainly uses region locking to keep people in Australia from importing games at cheaper prices. Nintendo's Australia branch would make way less money without it.

JohnPhilipSousa

3DS Friend Code: 3909-7508-7026 | Nintendo Network ID: JohnPhilipSousa

AuthorMessage
Avatar

HawkeyeWii

36. Posted:

I have to say, there are some titles that I really wish would have come to America that didn't, but such is life.

Wii U username: KitKat_H12 (Unfortunately HawkeyeWii was already taken some how)
I STREAM LIVE GAMEPLAY AND SPEEDRUNS OF GAMES ON MY twitch channel here: http://www.twitch.tv/hawkeyewii

Friend Codes3DS FC 1547-5273-7750

Twitter: HawkeyeWii

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

37. Posted:

Just upload a HACK that upgrades everyones Wii U to non-region locking through Nintendo Network, and make it irreversible. Once you do that, they won't even try to 'fix' anyones' Wii U. It's the only way...

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

38. Posted:

@SCAR392: Why not recommend he storm Nintendo HQ with a herd of wild elephants and hold Miyamoto at dagger-point until he agrees to end region-locking forever? or how about building a giant static electricity generator, persuading all your friends to form a human chain from it to you, and then infiltrating Nintendo HQ and zapping everyone into submission? All three scenarios are about as plausible. :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

39. Posted:

Thanks theblackdragon! I was so blind... haha. At least my suggestion would be non violent I hope. He could get in legal trouble unless he buys a laptop from 20 years ago from a garage sale for $30, connect to a random Mickey D's in another state, and then burns it after. Haha. No... Nintendo's probably reading this idea, and are prepared now... maybe next time... haha.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

HawkeyeWii

40. Posted:

theblackdragon wrote:

@SCAR392: Why not recommend he storm Nintendo HQ with a herd of wild elephants and hold Miyamoto at dagger-point until he agrees to end region-locking forever? or how about building a giant static electricity generator, persuading all your friends to form a human chain from it to you, and then infiltrating Nintendo HQ and zapping everyone into submission? All three scenarios are about as plausible. :3

Haha yeah, I'm kinda sick of the futile efforts of this thread as well.

Wii U username: KitKat_H12 (Unfortunately HawkeyeWii was already taken some how)
I STREAM LIVE GAMEPLAY AND SPEEDRUNS OF GAMES ON MY twitch channel here: http://www.twitch.tv/hawkeyewii

Friend Codes3DS FC 1547-5273-7750

Twitter: HawkeyeWii