Wii U Forum

Topic: f&$)(@ Region Locking, Nintendo

Showing 81 to 98 of 98

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Odnetnin

81. Posted:

CosmicMii wrote:

DarkKnight wrote:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

Apple are slowing losing ground anyway now that other companies like Samsung have cheaper and better technology.

Um

They have cheaper technology, Apple has better technology. :p

I would probably agree with this, but the "um" was in reference to me not understanding what his reply had to do with the topic at hand.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter: Odnetnin

AuthorMessage
Avatar

FOREST_RANGER

82. Posted:

@theblackdragon I can only make the unproven assumption that piracy of Sony games may be lower than the alternate universe in which Sony does region-lock them :P

Formely known as bobbiKat

Awesome graphing calculator

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rayword45

83. Posted:

Being region-free does jack when it comes to piracy. It's all about console support and hack blocks (which would be less common with good homebrew kits)

Wii (region-locked) = Piracy is rampant
DS (region-free) = Piracy is rampant

ATTENTION: Help me not get killed over a stolen camera. Please, I need your money. http://igg.me/at/twelveouncecamera/x/3629997

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheDreamingHawk

84. Posted:

theblackdragon wrote:

@Magi: Nintendo could also enforce Germany's laws regarding PEGI 18+ rated games in Germany alone, but I don't see him campaigning for any change there because in that case, the decision matches his personal moral values. Only when it inconveniences him is he suddenly outraged and suggesting ways to change (which likely won't happen, lord knows Nintendo hasn't done well with partnerships in the past), where before he couldn't have cared less whether a niche title reached the west or not, and I find the lack of consistency quite amusing.

Or NOE could just shut down and move to a better country (UK maybe?)

A Supporter of Reggie Fils-Aime and Respectful opinions
Pokemon black 2 FC: 1808 0259 1596

3DS Friend Code: 4725-7951-6337 | Nintendo Network ID: TheDreaminHawk

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

85. Posted:

Leapfrog seems to be selling good region-free devices.

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WildMan

86. Posted:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

Leapfrog seems to be selling good region-free devices.

+100 :-D

Mmm Chicken

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1253-2852

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

87. Posted:

I miss the good old days where you could just import a G&W system and be on your way

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage
Avatar

moomoo

88. Posted:

rayword45 wrote:

Being region-free does jack when it comes to piracy. It's all about console support and hack blocks (which would be less common with good homebrew kits)

Wii (region-locked) = Piracy is rampant
DS (region-free) = Piracy is rampant

We could keep going too.
PSP (region-free) = arguably the most pirated system ever if the DS didn't exist
3DS (region-locked) = no piracy as far as I'm aware.
PS Vita (region-free) = literally no piracy whatsoever

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

89. Posted:

@moomoo, et. al — i think it's pretty safe to say that piracy isn't really a consideration when it comes to region-locking... let's move away from that particular tangent, please :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

90. Posted:

I still think my suggestion was best... Nintendo won't do this. They've already set their words in stone for this console as far as region locking goes, so either go buy a Japanese Wii U($400), hack your Wii U(who's gonna know?), or don't buy Japanese games like they don't want you to. Saying how sh***y it is constantly is going to fix anything.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

FOREST_RANGER

91. Posted:

Perhaps one goal of region-locking may be to keep the people of Australia from buying foreign games at a cheaper price than the domestic copies D:

Formely known as bobbiKat

Awesome graphing calculator

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

92. Posted:

FOREST_RANGER wrote:

Perhaps one goal of region-locking may be to keep the people of Australia from buying foreign games at a cheaper price than the domestic copies D:

I know, huh? Australia has to make their 'local money' first.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

93. Posted:

There isn't any pirated Vita games because nobody owns the system... Actually I don't even think they exist. What's a Vita?

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rayword45

94. Posted:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

There isn't any pirated Vita games because nobody owns the system... Actually I don't even think they exist. What's a Vita?

Yet PSP-Mode hacks exist for the Vita. There definitely is some interest in hacking the Vita, it just hasn't been done. If it came down solely to interest, the Wii would've been hacked day one, and the 3DS would have an exploit by now. The only place your argument applies is for stuff that really fall under "nobody owns one" like the Gizmondo.

I still fail to see a single benefit of region-locking.

ATTENTION: Help me not get killed over a stolen camera. Please, I need your money. http://igg.me/at/twelveouncecamera/x/3629997

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NGamerZero

95. Posted:

Region-locking helps me buy less games :p

Friend Codes - Animal Crossing: City Folk (4812-1078-6183)
Dr. Mario Online Rx (9967-0055-1680) - Mario Kart Wii (5198-4114-2870)
Mario Strikers Charged (043068-406725) - Mario vs. DK: Minis March Again! (2450-8698-0454)
Nintendo Wii (1390-4118-2314-4557) - Super Smash Bros. Brawl (3694-9700-8787)

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4938-2565 | Nintendo Network ID: NGAMERZERO

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ElectricSplash

96. Posted:

FOREST_RANGER wrote:

Perhaps one goal of region-locking may be to keep the people of Australia from buying foreign games at a cheaper price than the domestic copies D:

Maybe that's a reason: Atlus F'd us region locking P4Arena in PS3 because the release in Japan and USA was so similar they admit they didin't want the japanese to import the cheaper USA copy. And i still have to wait for it because we don't have a relese date yet.

My Backloggery

Twitter: Benjamin_Rosa

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

97. Posted:

theblackdragon wrote:

WhiteKnight wrote:

The only reason it happens, then, is because Nintendo lacks initiative and is instead going for protectionism rather than innovation.

wait, so Nintendo's 'protectionism' is okay when it comes to the whole German-laws-enforced-where-they're-not-required thing, but it's not okay in this case?

Not the same. One is an artificial restriction put in place by Nintendo to restrict the movement of goods. The other is a law that they are not wanting to cross that is easier to obey by putting a blanket restriction across a whole region. Not having the "shops" open at certain times of the day is not protectionism.

It's the difference between having sniffer dogs at the gate or import taxes and deciding that your stores will shut at 9PM even in countries that allow you to stay open longer. The latter isn't protectionism at all because it doesn't restrict trade.

FOREST_RANGER wrote:

Perhaps one goal of region-locking may be to keep the people of Australia from buying foreign games at a cheaper price than the domestic copies D:

Well Australia is in the EU region so it doesn't really stop that much. We can still import cheaper versions of games from the UK although it's usually not that much cheaper to make it worth the wait and shipping costs. Prices for games have been dropping fairly quickly over here.

.... but basically yes. Not just for here obviously but across all regions. They don't want Americans importing games from Japan on Europeans importing games from the US. For early launch or lower price. Because they want to keep retailers happy. There was a shop in Australia called GameTraders who I think have gone bust now... but they were exactly the sort of thing Nintendo is wanting to stop. They did things like sell US import versions of major games (like Smash Bros, Pokemon, you name it) months before the official Australian launch at a damn good price. I wouldn't be surprised if similar companies exist in other regions.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

98. Posted:

rayword45 wrote:

I still fail to see a single benefit of region-locking.

Own a game-selling business in Australia and try competing with the US market. THEN try and say this :P

Nintendo Life moderator and duck

My Retrologgery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky