Wii Virtual Console Forum

Topic: VC Recommendations thread

Showing 601 to 620 of 1,105

AuthorMessage

cheetahman91

601. Posted:

@WaveBoy: Ristar's great. One of the best games on the Genesis. As for Dynamite Headdy, it's OK but not one of my favorite Genesis games.

Nintendolife Chatroom
Backloggery
GameSpot
Youtube
Jesus is the only way.
It's OK for someone to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.

Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

602. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

@waveboy Ristar is an absolute Genesis classic. I have the PS3 Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection and it is one of the best games created for the Genesis.

I have ActRaiser on my list to download to. I remember renting that game as a kid and I was blown away by the graphics because it was one of the first SNES games I played. I didn't like the simulation part of the game back then but now I am definitely tempted to revisit it and appreciate it the uniqueness of that game.

Well Ristar it is! Well maybe in a month or so that is hehe. And It's funny how Ristar and Dynomite Heady completely flew past my head when I had a Genesis, but I guess I was more into the SNES at the time to even care honestly.

As for ActRaiser....I decided to try it out yesterday....Now, I enjoyed the Action stages as 'SNES-primitave' feeling as it all was, coupled by the brilliant and epic sounding, well at least for the first stage anyways.

But damn those Simulation stages.....I just couldn't get into it. I've never been into simulation whatsoever, and while i apperciate the uniquness and hybrid of it all, it just disrupted the flow of the action stages and made the experience come to a complete hault of semi boredum. I called it quits during the 2nd Simulation, plust i couldn't get the people to build a bridge over that bloody river. :p

I kept thinking to myself "I don't wanna do this" I'm not enjoying this part of the game, which technically is half of he game, so why bother with all of this junk(imo) to get to the good?....When really the good isn't all that great to begin with. This doesn't compare at all to Super Castlevania IV, but the action stages were still fun and i always looked forward to the Titan-esc monster boss battles. :)

The graphics were also pretty stellar during the action stages too imo, loved the enironments of the first stage and 3rd stage out of the 3 Action stages that i played. Anyways, I wish there was a code to start off with that would unlock Proffesional mode which basically ditches the simulation of the game. Because I really wan't to play it still...just not the simulation stuff. Ah well, I guess I'll move on to GunStar Heroes.....OR maybe stick with ActRaiser and try and put up witht he simulation crap.

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Donkey Kong Country Returns!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80's FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

603. Posted:

I'm TOTALY recommending StarTropics.
One of the greatest NES games that I completely missed out on up until now. For shame! :p Zelda and Zelda II for the Nes simply can't compare with this one. I can't get enough of this game, let alone I'm only 3 hours in and almost finished the 3rd chapter....But when all said and done, my mondo mega mind has officially been blown away by this Nes Classic. B-)

Untitled
The items and weapons in this game are fabulous. As seen here, when you get 'The Mirror' it alows you to deflet those wizards projectiles, but you have to time it prefectly. Personally, I've always had a thing with deflecting enemy bullets and the like, it feels super satisfying and amps up the skill.

Anyways, I haven't experienced anything really like StarTropics, with the whole jumping on tiles mechanic to unlock buttons and doors, ect ect. It's incredibly fun, super challenging and highly addictive. This is the perfect example of what i loved about the NES era. I didn't expect to love the game as much going into it, but wow I'm a StarTropics believer haha :)

StarTropics > Zelda and Zelda II. No contest.

Edited on by WaveBoy

We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!

AuthorMessage

Splat

604. Posted:

Just beat Super Mario World (SNES) for the first time such a great game.

"What do you reckon, we're gonna have to climb that thing?" ~ Chloe Frazer

"I reckon I'M gonna have to climb that thing." ~ Nathan Drake

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

605. Posted:

@Waveboy

Yeah, StarTropics is great, I love it a lot. Good luck finishing it though, it's extremely difficult, and pretty cheap at times as well.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Ryno

606. Posted:

@Waveboy You are going crazy nuts with the VC lately! My question is how do you have time? If I am not mistaken from reading previous posts I assume that you were but a young lad during the 'golden age of gaming," the SNES and Genesis? Point beeing that I am married and I dont have a ton of time for video games. The old ball-n-chain (ha! I say that in jest of course) doesn't share in my favorite pastime of playing video games so its take me awhile to get to all these classics. So that is why I was just curious if you were married or not and how you find the time. Due to your praise of Startropics I will add that to my download list during the three weeks my wife is away at school. Startropics was always game that tempted my curiosity as a kid after seeing it in Nintendo Power but I never ended up playing. I will definitely right this wrong!

Splat wrote:

What took you so long? :D It is my favorite Mario game. Did you beat the Star World too?

Edited on by Ryno

What Would Duane Do?
“I’m just about that action, boss"
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

607. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

@Waveboy You are going crazy nuts with the VC lately! My question is how do you have time? If I am not mistaken from reading previous posts I assume that you were but a young lad during the 'golden age of gaming," the SNES and Genesis? Point beeing that I am married and I dont have a ton of time for video games. The old ball-n-chain (ha! I say that in jest of course) doesn't share in my favorite pastime of playing video games so its take me awhile to get to all these classics. So that is why I was just curious if you were married or not and how you find the time. Due to your praise of Startropics I will add that to my download list during the three weeks my wife is away at school. Startropics was always game that tempted my curiosity as a kid after seeing it in Nintendo Power but I never ended up playing. I will definitely right this wrong!

Splat wrote:

What took you so long? :D It is my favorite Mario game. Did you beat the Star World too?

I've got all the time in the world. :p
The thing is though, is that i'm currently in a wonky craptastic situation since I'm ill at the moment with some undiagnosed gladular problem, or it may in fact be mercury poisining. It's frustrating stuff having all of these horrible symptoms and abnormal blood test results and getting no answer. So because of this, i'm temporarely on disability. I'm about to go on some crazy hardcore mercury detox to out rule that possibility and blah blah. But that aside, Not married...And even if i wasn't going throught his annoying ordeal, i wouldn't want to be anyways. I like screwing around and not being tied down. :p

And I'm not working because i'm on disability. This illness knocked me out of college, so my goal is to get better and of course go back to AI as soon as possible. But as far as gaming goes when i do, it's usually 2-3hours a night, or if it's sunny out I'll game during the day like at around 10 to 12. :p And yup, I was gaming since the NES. Got it back in 89' when I was 5 years old. Amazing times, with too many cherished memories! B-)

And yes, you gotta get StarTropics. One of the best Nes games I never played. lol I was about to play it last night, but a couple of my symptoms got the best of me and I couldn't exactly concentrate, so I passed out and caught some shut eye.

Edited on by WaveBoy

AuthorMessage

Ryno

608. Posted:

@waveboy Wow, interesting stuff there! I wish you well good sir! I do enjoy your posts and though I am 4 years your senior your appreciation the NES, SNES, and Genesis (and TMNT action figures) nearly matches my own :D (Mickeymac, oldgamesonly, and Tasuki also come to mind) Actually you may even surpass me in that regards because I do not currently own a NES (gasp) though lately I have this unshakeable urge to!

I am going to search for my StarTropics Nintendo Power tonight and then when I get some time in the next month I am going to use it old school with StarTropics on the VC. No way would I have thought 22 years later I would be using it! Just awesome :)

Mickeymac wrote:

@Waveboy

Yeah, StarTropics is great, I love it a lot. Good luck finishing it though, it's extremely difficult, and pretty cheap at times as well.

@Mickeymac No sweat I will be using Nintendo Power! Na, have you ever completed it? Cheap how so?

Edited on by Ryno

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

609. Posted:

I got stuck halfway through. It's cheap in that you can't see most stuff coming. Take the instant death rooms or the split paths, one of which usually leads to instant death. Or the dark rooms. These aren't frequent, but they are annoying.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

ogo79

610. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

I'm TOTALY recommending StarTropics.
One of the greatest NES games that I completely missed out on up until now. For shame! :p Zelda and Zelda II for the Nes simply can't compare with this one. I can't get enough of this game, let alone I'm only 3 hours in and almost finished the 3rd chapter....But when all said and done, my mondo mega mind has officially been blown away by this Nes Classic. B-)

Untitled
The items and weapons in this game are fabulous. As seen here, when you get 'The Mirror' it alows you to deflet those wizards projectiles, but you have to time it prefectly. Personally, I've always had and thing with deflecting enemy bullets and the like, it feels super satisfying and amps up the skill.

Anyways, I haven't experienced anything like really like StarTropics, with the whole jumping on tiles mechanic to unlock buttons and doors, ect ect. It's incredibly fun, super challenging and highly addictive. This is the perfect example of what i loved about the NES era. I didn't expect to love the game as much going into it, but wow I'm a StarTropics believer haha :)

StarTropics > Zelda and Zelda II. No contest.

yes yes yes!

iap-tv.com
the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

Splat

611. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

Splat wrote:

I never owned a SNES. :) I beat all of the Star World but I need one more secret exit.

"What do you reckon, we're gonna have to climb that thing?" ~ Chloe Frazer

"I reckon I'M gonna have to climb that thing." ~ Nathan Drake

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

612. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

@waveboy Wow, interesting stuff there! I wish you well good sir! I do enjoy your posts and though I am 4 years your senior your appreciation the NES, SNES, and Genesis (and TMNT action figures) nearly matches my own :D (Mickeymac, oldgamesonly, and Tasuki also come to mind) Actually you may even surpass me in that regards because I do not currently own a NES (gasp) though lately I have this unshakeable urge to!

I am going to search for my StarTropics Nintendo Power tonight and then when I get some time in the next month I am going to use it old school with StarTropics on the VC. No way would I have thought 22 years later I would be using it! Just awesome :)

Mickeymac wrote:

@Waveboy

@Mickeymac No sweat I will be using Nintendo Power! Na, have you ever completed it? Cheap how so?

Thanks dude!
And you currently don't have an NES you say? Well Clearly I've surpassed you then, you Nes-less weakling. :p
Plus with my sealed copy of T & C surf for the Nes you're practically useless. I kid, I kid. :D

And 4 years older huh? I envy you. Why? Because you got to experience more 80's goodness that's why! Somebody zap me back to the 80's. Who wan'ts to build a retro-ized 80's time machine and blast back to everything that was super funky and ultra awesome? Really though,I would of loved to of been born at around 80' instead of 84' sigh*

But oh well, I still got a taste of the late 80's and i'm totaly grateful, the early 90's were pretty damn awesome as well. And I still get a kick out of watching my home video's from 88 and 89' The 80's had such a distinct atmosphere to it, the clothing, the music, I could go on and on.....For now, here's a little 80's synth and some killer mullets for ya.lol

And thanks for the kind words, now go on eBay and get yourself an NES! B-)

And as for StarTropics I was stuck for over an hour on the Captain Bell Piano puzzle last night. Now figuring it out wasn't that tricky to begin with, but i never releasied you had to re-enter the room if you made a mistake, which totaly wonked me out leading me to surf the net and find out if i was actually doing something wrong. But as of now, I can't get past Chapter 5's cave.....Not that's it's too difficult or anything, it's just trying to find out where to go next is screwing me up. Damn these tricky secret passages. :p

Edited on by WaveBoy

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

613. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

I got stuck halfway through. It's cheap in that you can't see most stuff coming. Take the instant death rooms or the split paths, one of which usually leads to instant death. Or the dark rooms. These aren't frequent, but they are annoying.

Instant death rooms? You mean when you enter a room and the platform you're standing on quickly sinks into the water?lol Or how about the rooms where the platforms explode in a specific order? I love that sh*it. :p
And I love the dark rooms...Ususally it's easy to tell where you're supposed to jump since enemies will be walking around in those area's. The only thing I've found cheap about the game is getting gang raped by those stupid snakes.lol But hey a lot of it is trial, error and memorization.

And once you master one of those caves and finally defeat the boss you get a great sense of reward and satisfaction.

Edited on by WaveBoy

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

614. Posted:

How can you not find those instant death rooms cheap?!

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Ryno

615. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

Thanks dude!
And you currently don't have an NES you say? Well Clearly I've surpassed you then, you Nes-less weakling. :p
Plus with my sealed copy of T & C surf for the Nes you're practically useless. I kid, I kid. :D

And 4 years older huh? I envy you. Why? Because you got to experience more 80's goodness that's why! Somebody zap me back to the 80's. Who wan'ts to build a retro-ized 80's time machine and blast back to everything that was super funky and ultra awesome? Really though,I would of loved to of been born at around 80' instead of 84' sigh*

But oh well, I still got a taste of the late 80's and i'm totaly grateful, the early 90's were pretty damn awesome as well. And I still get a kick out of watching my home video's from 88 and 89' The 80's had such a distinct atmosphere to it, the clothing, the music, I could go on and on.....For now, here's a little 80's synth and some killer mullets for ya.lol

And thanks for the kind words, now go on eBay and get yourself an NES! B-)

And as for StarTropics I was stuck for over an hour on the Captain Bell Piano puzzle last night. Now figuring it out wasn't that tricky to begin with, but i never releasied you had to re-enter the room if you made a mistake, which totaly wonked me out leading me to surf the net and find out if i was actually doing something wrong. But as of now, I can't get past Chapter 5's cave.....Not that's it's too difficult or anything, it's just trying to find out where to go next is screwing me up. Damn these tricky secret passages. :p

I almost purchased a NES yesterday off of Ebay but I got oubid. But dont fear, my crystal ball told me I will be getting one soon though and then everything will be as it should be. To hold a classic genuine NES controller again will be a feeling unmatched by anthing I can currently imagine... Well, except for maybe going back to the 80's and early 90's and spending my summer vacation playing my NES and SNES while wearing some bright funky clothes! B-) I cannot believe how ridiculously cheap NES Games are going for on ebay! So awesome... Your sealed copy of T&C Surf Designs is like having the Mona Lisa as far as I am concerned.

Great video you posted for everyone to enjoy. Anybody who did not get to experience that live and in living color definitely missed out on one of the most memorable decades. "This is the 80's and I am down with the ladies." That is one of my favorite quotes/lines from the 80's. You know who that was? I to pop in the old VHS home video from time to time from that part of my life. Great stuff

So, what is your super secret sauce recipe for deciding whether you will purchase games for your NES or the VC?

Edited on by Ryno

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

616. Posted:

So it's been that long since you've held onto an NES controller eh? It shall be a magical moment indeedy. B-)
And hell yes to the bright funky clothing haha. Back in 89 and the early 90's I used to always wear bright pink summer t-shirts, i rocked my mullet and i had a pair of black tight shorts with flourecent green stripe busting down the sides. lol
I seriously feel like going on eBay and doing some 80's summer clothing shopping just for kicks.

Untitled
Man, this takes me back....LOL I wish people still dressed like this, and rocked the mullet.

And ya, i completely lucked out on the sealed T & C Surf Design. I was about to snag a copy of a sealed copy of Friday the 13th for the nes for $60, but the listing ended and the seller wouldn't return my message based on if he was going to relist it so instead I just bought a used copy that was in good condition. Over a week later the guy finally sends me an email saying he relisted the sealed copy, exciting story i know(yawn!) But yup! Anybody looking for a sealed copy of FT13th for cheap, look no further. Other guys have it listed for over $200...:o

And as for the secret sauce recipe....Hmmm, well I'm always 50/50 on it. I think I'd definitly lean more towards buying actual Nes games if I had the proper set up for it. I want to get a smaller 27" Tube CRT SDTV for my Nes and SNES. But as everybody knows, any Nes game on the VC goes for $5....The big problem is however is that Nintendo royally messed up the color/brightness emulation for their Nes VC games. The colors are very dark, muddy and washed out and the brightness is horrible. I use a component connection which helps with the color and brightness aside from being more clear, but it still looks like dark washed out crap compared to how it should look. As to why i have another custom setting on my TV where i basically amp up the color to the max at 100, along with the contrast and raise the brightness a smidge higher and it does wonders! B-)
HUge difference, everybody should do the same. Because i tried playing Nes VC titles before in their normal dark form and it completely hampers the experience and it makes it depressing and less enjoyable to play.

And awesome tag line at the end.lol It would of been nuts to experience Kajagoogoo live, to even bee a teenager or a young adult partying in the 80's would of been amazing. At any age it was thee' ultimate decond, ugh, why couldn't i of been born earlier! :p Oh well, still remember bits of 88, and tons of stuff from 89! :D

Edited on by WaveBoy

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

617. Posted:

I'm somewhat tempted to try out Kirby 64
Untitled
.....mildy tempted that is. But at this point I'm a smidge Kirby'd out because of Epic Yarn, so I might save this one for later if it's even worth it.

And there's also Kirby's Dreamland 3....
Untitled
But i hear that one's one of the worst in the series, the graphical style is unnapealing and it's just boring to play. Honestly i don't really care to play it, but i just want to so i can say i've played every main console kirby game. :p but then again....

I think I'm better off just waiting for Kirby Wii instead.

AuthorMessage

Ryno

618. Posted:

The color on NES VC games is really bugging me. Yesterday, here I am playing and unloading a can of "whip" with everyone's second favorite vampire hunter, Trevor Belmont, and something just feels a bit off. Now that you mention it I realize it was the color. I am going to take your suggestions and fiddle around with my TV's settings. NES games were definitely meant to be played bright and in living color.

Also you would be happy to know I used this:
Untitled

It is nice because it does not overdo the help however, I do still learn some good stuff including to get doubleshot and tripleshot I need to kill enemies 10 times with the sub-weapon. Maybe not a big deal but I never knew that, I always thought it was random but now I get triple shot boomerang a lot more :D Oh! You will be happy to know StarTropics is one of the games in it by the way! :) If you dont have a copy of one of these puppies you should definitely consider it for your NES collection.

I probably stared at that picture you posted way more then I should have. haha... It took me back to some good times :D If only my room looked like that now, that would be so sweet. I heard fashion is cyclical so I cannot wait until the 80's come back, I will welcome it with open arms!

Oh and do you have a top loader NES or classic?

Edited on by theblackdragon

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

619. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

@Waveboy

I'm gonna answer this again since i just finished the game last night. If there was anything cheap about StarTropics it was the final Boss(which I was actually kind of let down by), and those damn Aliens riding those air Cycle Jets on Chapter 7. :p

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

620. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

The color on NES VC games is really bugging me. Yesterday, here I am playing and unloading a can of "whip" with everyone's second favorite vampire hunter, Trevor Belmont, and something just feels a bit off. Now that you mention it I realize it was the color. I am going to take your suggestions and fiddle around with my TV's settings. NES games were definitely meant to be played bright and in living color.

Also you would be happy to know I used this:
Untitled

It is nice because it does not overdo the help however, I do still learn some good stuff including to get doubleshot and tripleshot I need to kill enemies 10 times with the sub-weapon. Maybe not a big deal but I never knew that, I always thought it was random but now I get triple shot boomerang a lot more :D Oh! You will be happy to know StarTropics is one of the games in it by the way! :) If you dont have a copy of one of these puppies you should definitely consider it for your NES collection.

I probably stared at that picture you posted way more then I should have. haha... It took me back to some good times :D If only my room looked like that now, that would be so sweet. I heard fashion is cyclical so I cannot wait until the 80's come back, I will welcome it with open arms!

Oh and do you have a top loader NES or classic?

Oh I how miss my NES Atlas. I used it so much in my NES days that it literally fell apart. I am half tempted to track down a copy one of these days but I am not sure I want to see the price.

Edited on by theblackdragon

My Backlog

Proud owner of a Blue 3DSXL
Proud owner of a Deluxe Wii U
Proud owner of an Xbox 360
Proud owner of a PS4

Currently playing: See my Backlog.

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311