Forums

Topic: The Official GameCube Thread

Posts 261 to 280 of 585

ThanosReXXX

@Ninfan Maybe, maybe not. I like it too, and I still own it, but it is a very niche type of game, so I'd imagine not many people voted for it. Personally, I would have sooner expected to see 1080 Avalanche and Wave Race Blue Storm in there, so imagine my surprise when these were somehow also missing from this list.

But all in all, I still thought it was a pretty good list, and it only goes to show you that the GameCube actually did have quite a few great titles. But as with all top 50 or top whatever lists, they can obviously never make all of us completely happy, so there's always going to be games that are, in our opinion, missing from these lists, and other people will never agree with the final top 5 and so on.

But the list was made by readers who voted, so in that respect it actually IS a list that we all made together, so most of us should be at the very least reasonably satisfied with most of the titles on there.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

gcunit

Anyone able to recommend any particular steering wheel & pedal combos for GameCube?

Seems there were a few different multi-platform offerings - Thrust master, Game Expert etc - any in particular stand out or to be avoided?

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Ninfan

@gcunit I had a steering wheel and pedals in just a steel frame, you sat in it. it was good and cheap too. I was looking to buy one lately but I could not find one on the internet ( not sure how too word it , too search for it ). Argos use to sell them for about €100. Did the job perfect if though.

Ninfan

ThanosReXXX

@gcunit I have two sets, which are often referred to as above average or good.
The first one I got during the GameCube generation, was the MadCatz MC2 MicroCon Racing Wheel and Pedals:
Untitled
Probably pretty hard to get a hold of from a store nowadays, unless it's a retro game store with used items, so you might want to check out eBay or something like that.

Far as I'm concerned, it's a pretty good steering wheel, with good grip, decent resistance, and besides suction cups, it has some handy retractable leg clamps, which allow you to keep the steering wheel in your lap when sitting on a couch and/or you don't have any flat table or surface to stick it on.

The second wheel I bought when I had my Wii, and it's a multi-platform wheel, which can come in handy if you have multiple consoles, because it's also compatible with GameCube, PS2 and OG Xbox, and I can imagine that with some converters/adapter plugs, it will also be compatible with more modern versions of these various consoles.

Anyways, it's the König Wireless Steering Wheel and pedals:
Untitled
The plus side of it here being both the multi-platform options, and it being wireless. Works thru a dongle that you connect to the controller port on your console, pretty much like a normal wireless controller. This one doesn't have built-in leg clamps, but does come with a couple of attachable ones, so it works pretty much the same.

I'm guessing this is just as hard to get a hold of as the other one, so you'll have to do some digging or look on eBay, as I already mentioned.

So, that's the two that I've got, and I'm pretty happy with both of them, so they more than suffice for the average racing game fan, who doesn't want to spend hundreds of dollars/euros/pounds on a professional setup.

Hope that helps. Good luck with looking for the right one for you.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention that both of them also have "butterfly pedals" directly underneath the steering wheel, so you can either use your feet on the actual pedals, or use the ones on the steering wheel. Or you could use them to switch gears, obviously also depending on possibilities of controller settings/mapping in individual games.

Another thing I forgot, is that the site where I got the picture of the M2 MicroCon Wheel from, still seems to have the wheel for sale, so it might be worth taking a look what it's going to cost you to have it sent to you:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-old-video-games/city-of-halifax/mc2-m...

It's definitely a good wheel, though, so if it really is in as good a condition as the site says, then you might want to seriously consider it. Out of the two steering wheels, it's my personal favorite, mainly based on it feeling a bit more sturdy, with the built-in clamps instead of separate, attachable ones, and the grip feels a bit nicer to me, but the other one is still a good option too, and even still available for sale from a web shop:
https://eclats-antivols.fr/en/ps2/23415-konig-wireless-steeri...

One other thing about this wheel, although stating the obvious: because it's wireless, you're gonna need batteries. Three AA batteries go into the bottom of the steering wheel. It's a minor bother, but still, might be a factor to take into account. Then again: you do get a wireless steering wheel in return, the only cable being the one that leads from the steering wheel to the pedals.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Vinny

Back to playing Sunshine.
Still need get the Noki Bay shines.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Ninfan

@Vinny I liked sunshine too. Thing about it is that nintendo didn't release many games for nearly a year on gamecube. So I just played sunshine for ages. Pity best games ever released were on gamecube i think. How many hours did it take you to finish it.😁😁😁😁😁

Ninfan

Ninfan

@Vinny have you got all the light gun games for the wii. Can you tell me what they are

Ninfan

ThanosReXXX

@Ninfan Please be so kind as to stick to the original topic. This is the GameCube thread, after all. Not the Wii thread.

gcunit

@Ninfan Steel frame sounds kinda cool... but a bit too space hungry for my needs.

@ThanosReXXX Thanks for all that. I been watching a listing for that very model of the Mad Catz wheel as I'd seen one that was in very good condition, but I can't find it now so I guess someone else nabbed it. But I did find a non-micron version of the same wheel, comes with a gear shift stick or something on the right shoulder. Possibly a bit bigger than the micron variant, but it looked in decent nick and wasn't expensive so I've bought it to give it a go. Same model as pictured below:

Untitled

Couldn't find any König wheels on eBay.

ThanosReXXX

@gcunit You're welcome. Looks pretty much the same as my Mad-Catz wheel, but indeed a more elaborate one, with the stick shift. Personally never use that, though. I either drive with automatic gears, or use the butterfly pedals underneath the steering wheel, which your model probably also has.

So, is that a multi-platform one? Because the one I have, is a dedicated GameCube model, and there was also a PS2 and an Xbox Model, all appropriately colored, so GameCube was grey and purple, PS2 was grey and blue (although there was also a grey and yellow version) and Xbox was grey and green.

Either way, if it has the same steering resistance as the one I have, and also comes with those handy retractable leg clamps, then I'd say you've got the best wheel out of the two I recommended.

On a side note: concerning that König wheel, I'd figure who would need an eBay listing of that, if you can still buy it brand new from a store, via the link I provided you with?

gcunit

@ThanosReXXX I appreciate the gesture and effort with the links, but I'm not in the habit of buying from random foreign websites.

Yes, the wheel I'm getting is supposedly universal across PSOne, PS2, Xbox and GameCube. I don't currently own an og Xbox or PS2 but haven't ruled out getting them, so hopefully the universality is legit.

ThanosReXXX

@gcunit Fair enough. The one with the König Wheel was an actual, reputable store, though...
But you've got the better wheel of the two anyways, so that's good.

I wouldn't worry about the steering wheel not being compatible with any of the other consoles that it says to be compatible with. Mad Catz has a good reputation, where that is concerned, and most wheels that are multi-platform perform well on other consoles. The one I have is obviously GameCube only, but I have tried out the König wheel on other consoles, and it works just fine, so I reckon the superior wheel of the two will have no problems doing the same.

Do let me know once you've tried it out. I don't know which games you have or want to try it out with, but general rule is that racing simulators/simcades work best, and arcade racers or kart racers often either need tweaking or don't (fully) support steering wheels.

At least two of the games that I have and of which I know that it fully support them without any tweaking in controls, are R: Racing Evolution and V-Rally. In a lot of other games, you'll need to either re-program the buttons on the wheel itself, if possible, or reconfigure controls in the game settings, also if possible, because the pedals of the steering wheel represent buttons A and B, and a lot of racers use the left and right trigger for gas and brake pedals.

Ninfan

Anyone playing phantasy star online

Ninfan

Anti-Matter

No.
I play Harvest Moon Magical Melody. 😉

Anti-Matter

gcunit

@Ninfan I bought it recently but haven't played it yet, and I'm not planning to play it online.

Dogorilla

Is Phantasy Star Online fully playable in offline single-player then? I've heard it's good but wasn't sure if you needed to play it online to get the most out of it.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

NESlover85

@Dogorilla From what I remember it is fully playable offline.

In the year of 198X, a super gamer named NESlover85 was created...

3DS Friend Code: 4940-6777-7430 | Nintendo Network ID: NESlover85

Ninfan

Dogorilla wrote:

Is Phantasy Star Online fully playable in offline single-player then? I've heard it's good but wasn't sure if you needed to play it online to get the most out of it.

@Dogorilla it's very dear to get it going online

Ninfan

Dogorilla

@Ninfan Yeah I can imagine, that's why I wasn't sure if it was worth getting. I'm glad to hear it can be played offline though, I'll probably pick it up at some point.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic