Forums

Topic: Post your favorite retro eighties music here

Posts 101 to 120 of 130

Matty2310

@Saveloy Don't mind if I copy your posting format? Haha. Also, I like how we're the only one's who regularly post here all the time. This thread is our home here, everyone else is merely a visitor (unless they want to move in of course).
Planet Earth - Duran Duran (1981)

Untitled
New Romantics galore!

For those of you who don't know who I am, I'm Kirby95, I just changed my username.

3DS Friend Code: 1375-7224-8981

Saveloy

Matty2310 wrote:

@Saveloy Don't mind if I copy your posting format? Haha.

Ha! No worries, please do!

Here's a synthy one that I liked at the time it came out (school trip, shared dorm, tape deck with the album this was from played CONSTANTLY):

'Love Is A Stranger' by Eurythmics (1983):

Untitled

Androgyny!

Edited on by Saveloy

Saveloy

Matty2310

Here's "Pleasure and Pain" from Australia's Divinyls (1985)

Untitled

For those of you who don't know who I am, I'm Kirby95, I just changed my username.

Saveloy

'99 Red Balloons' by Nena (1984):

This is the Euro pop-rock motherlode: headbands, mullets, leather trousers, studded belts over t-shirts, COLD WAR theme and Yamaha KEYTAR!

Untitled

Saveloy

NightmareSlash

My favorite band from back then has to be Midnight Oil. But if we were to list a bigger list I'd say Jimmy Barnes, Eazy E, Dr. Dre, and any old Rancheras, Corridos, and Mariachi. But if the question was for old gaming music, I'd have to say Battletoads, Ninja Gaiden, and Castlevania had pretty good music. AND DON'T FORGET ABOUT TETRIS!

NightmareSlash

Nintendo Network ID: DemonGamer1996 | Twitter:

Matty2310

@NightmareSlash It's weird that your profile says your from the US yet you know Australian acts who were mainly just famous here. Did you live here or something?
@Saveloy You want a Cold War song? This song and music video is as literal Cold War as you can get!
Two Tribes - Frankie Goes To Hollywood (1984)

Untitled

NightmareSlash

@Matty2310 Well one of my uncles live there, and I visited him a lot. My uncle is a jerk, but Australia is a fantastic place. Midnight Oil I actually heard of them in USA from a teacher, and Jimmy Barnes was in Australia.

NightmareSlash

Nintendo Network ID: DemonGamer1996 | Twitter:

Saveloy

@Matty2310 - Ha, good call! A controversial band and vid at the time. Later they released "The Power of Love" and everyone went "Awww! They're alright really."

'Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Noise?' by Age of Chance (1987)

Untitled

Early indie / noise / dance crossover, pseudo political SLOGANS, sportswear, "this are the future" stance.

Saveloy

Saveloy

'Genius of Love by Tom Tom Club (1981):

Untitled

The bright, light, dare I say girly style of art in the vid is very '80s. There was a period of fashion mag / designer interest in certain modernist painters like Mondrian and Matisse - large areas of primary colours and b&w - which you see flashes of in the vid as well.

Their other big tune - 'Wordy Rappinghood' - is better but I couldn't find a decent vid for that.

Edited on by Saveloy

Saveloy

Sinnere69

Music that u recognize allways is yonoid, contra, toki, blaster master

Sinnere69

Saveloy

'Close to the Edit' by Art of Noise (1984):

Untitled

Sampling!

Very '80s vid, also, with the post-apocalypse-punk biz. And men in suits.

Saveloy

Matty2310

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Here's "Love In Siberia" from Laban (1986).

Untitled
Danish synthpop.

Matty2310

Haven't commented in ages again. Here's Cyndi Lauper's "She Bop".

Matty2310

Promised You A Miracle - Simple Minds (1982)

Edited on by Matty2310

skywake

When I think of 80s music this is the first thing that comes into my head. My memories of most of the great 80s music come from the 90s. On Australia day, a still, dry and clear night. Standing on a warm road after the sun has gone down. Portable radio on the ground watching the fireworks. This was the soundtrack:

INXS - Need You Tonight: https://youtu.be/w-rv2BQa2OU
Midnight Oil - Power And The Passion: https://youtu.be/6pKPNnk-JhE

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Matty2310

Speaking of the 80s and Australia...
Great Southern Land - Icehouse (1982)

The best song about Australia from what I consider to be the best Australian band ever.
@skywake By the way, where in Australia are you from? I'm from Melbourne.

skywake

Matty2310 wrote:

Speaking of the 80s and Australia...
Great Southern Land - Icehouse (1982)

The best song about Australia from what I consider to be the best Australian band ever.

Ah yes, same deal with this one as the other songs I posted. For me 80s music and Australia day are completely intertwined, I always associate one with the other. Because of the Australia Day fireworks as a kid in the early 90s. Men At Work would be one of the other artist that immediately comes to mind. And even though it goes into the 90s a bit Yothu Yindi is another.

Matty2310 wrote:

@skywake By the way, where in Australia are you from? I'm from Melbourne.

Since you're from Melbourne, this is the only way I can answer that question this week

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.