Forums

Topic: Xbox One/Xbox 360 Thread

Posts 5,921 to 5,940 of 6,758

DarthNocturnal

Uhhhhhhh... FF XIII Trilogy is already on sale?!

Well this is awkward... not for me, because I haven't bought any, but for others.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

NEStalgia

@BrainOfGrimlock Yeah, I, too, was hyped for Hitman 2 until I saw that release model..... I mean you get, what, 6 scenarios in the box and the other 4+ are sold separately? With Hitman 1, when Square launched it originally as this ever evolving online service thing. The E3 reveal was awesome. It would have these live event hits and such, it was cool. And then it simply became episodes. And then instead of episodes IO split and it became "season 1 pack". And then there was no season 2. And then we get "GoTY Edition". But I forgave them, I knew they had a publishing mess and went alone. Messing up Hitman 2 is unforgivable. Put the whole game in the box and move on. I'm fine with ONE version of legacy, that's cool. TWO? Lets face it, we know in a year there will be a complete edition for $40. I woudln't doubt there's a 25%+ sale on DwG by February for the current release. I smell a SoTTR situation. Either this or Darksiders, but I may buy that up front anyway with the 10% off pre-order sale. I've seen mixed previews of it....criticism of it being a 16 hour game. Yet it's apparently a mix of Darksiders 1 and Dark Souls which seems too cool to ignore.

FF: I agree, X, today, gets a lot of praise but in its own day I remember it was as ridiculed as XIII is. It didn't really go down well at the time outside of its amazing graphics for the era. XIII just doubled down on the linearity of X mostly. OTOH I gave XIII-2 a spin yesterday. I'm not worried about spoilers since I played most of XIII years ago, and had to read the wiki to figure out what the story actually was, and even then it still made no sense. I have to admit, XIII-2 so far seems like a pretty good game. I was amazed when it opened me with 3 dimensions of navigation and NPCs to talk to! And then I start walking and I find...branching paths! 1-way drop offs! A MAP! random encounters! (I actually don't like random encounters, but XIII made it painfully obvious how important they are to the FF formula.) It starts you with paradigm shifts at the start, and you can't just "mash a to win". I actually died in my first random encounter to a full on tanky enemy. It has dialog options! Sure they're just QTE formula responses, but it feels interactive. Overall it feels much more like an FF game. Maybe not towns, stories, adventures like traditional games, but the gameplay picks up that "FF gameplay loop' a lot better than "walk in narrow, confined, poker straight roads with safety rails, toward the mob always in front of you." I'll check out Lightening Returns today.

I do like X, but I don't love it. It's still "off" to me. 9 is far and away my favorite, 7 is almost as flawed as XIII but comes across better due to character moments, and the great Materia battle system. 8 would have done better if it didn't follow the whole "school" anime trope. Though it just occurred to me how much XV is like VII.

@Ryu_Niiyama I still say outside media (books/anime) etc isn't "canon". "Ubisoft considers it canon" is kind of a red herring. Ubisoft took licensing money for it. A scenario writer no doubt signed off on it. But that kind of stuff is done far in advance of the actual game being finished and changes in production to the direction the game takes. They intend to make that kind of thing canon maybe (or certain people do), but ultimately they're still changing the canon until the disc goes gold. Heck, speaking of XIII, Fang and Vanille were supposed to be the protagonists, not Lightening, and Fang was supposed to be a male with the focus (pun not intended) instead of Snow. Somehow we went from that to Strong & Silent Ligtening, Snow(boarder), and Vanille was reduced to a lolli.)

@Grumblevolcano I seriously wouldn't doubt it!

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@DarthNocturnal I'll keep the fallout part separate from the prior post post. But...ugh, FFXIII goes on sale 3 days after release....when I bought it? I can't catch a break....

Fallout 76....OMG what did I buy? XBL came back up and I got some time in with it. But....I almost wish it hadn't. The good part is I can say I'm so glad I'm playing it on the X. It plays pretty smooth, no real complaints about performance. I hear on the PS side it runs unforgivably, as in "this needs a refund" kind of bad. I wouldn't bother on an OG X1 from what I'm hearing. But on the X it plays smooth.

But....what is this game? It's not Fallout. It just isn't. It's some bizarre survival apocalypse game. Fallout isn't about survival, it's about the dysfunctional civilization that emerges from the vaults amidst the government experiments. This....this is an apocalyptic survival game that has more in common with Metro or Dying Light than Fallout. No...I take that back. Those games have people. This does not. Walking Dead? No...people there too. It's like an RPG in debug mode without the questing in place.

To it's credit, theres a cool foundation. It's almost zen. Just this kind of quiet empty place. But where Fallout arms you at the start, this does not. I kept hearing other people interacting with stuff in the fault, but couldn't see them. When I got into the world, I turn right and get shot at by robots. I decide to just jump down the rough terrain instead. I make my way to the campsite. There are already 2 other people (players) there crafting. We all awkwardly ignore each other. I realize it's getting dark...well, no use heading down the road to town in the dark. I'll just nap. Then I'm told ground mattresses could be diseased and harm you. I realize that I can't forward time to daytime, so I can either wait around through night, or do things in the dark. I do the latter and go to town. I can see nothing as a pack of wild dogs attack me. Then a robot is shooting lasers at me, and I'm sure my machete I crafted at the camp won't work well. So I run and run to town. As I read the terminal, and other things I realize that the exposition from holotapes and terminals goes on....and on...and on...and on. These are narratives that keep going while you're doing other things...so you miss it. And that's your only story in the game. And it's all depressing. Questing feels very MMO (go hear and press this, now go back and press that, now go here and pick up the item that just magically gets used when you stand over there.)

But then there's the food. RDR2 went overboard on the "eat to raise your health core, and drink to raise your stamina core, and do stuff to raise your horse core" (I'm sorry, horse core should not be a word in my vocabulary.) Fallout takes that and makes certain to make it as not fun as it can be. I'm told food goes bad if you don't eat it soon. And water needs to be boiled. And you need to keep drinking to stay hydrated. And eat to stay full. It warns you when you get parched that bad things will happen if you don't drink. But the more you eat and drink the more radiation you take on so the more rad-X or rad-Away you need. And all of this is rare-ish. Too many "gather this and gather that to craft those, to use them, but then you need that" bar management. It's not fun, it's annoying busy work. Everything in the game is crafted at a dozen tables but you can't carry much. And there's no other characters ever.

Meanwhile while I'm doing that in the church in town, I hear gunfire outside...other players....people run through the room, then back out...we all ignore each other awkwardly "maybe if I open my PipBoy they'll ignore me." It's like The Division but without the fun gameplay.

Then while I'm at the terminal, suddenly zombies! (A mutant blasts through the door. The corpse moves on its own a few times after I kill it.) While I'm doing quests a feral ghoul police officer attacks....goes down easy....somehow he's carrying only a pencil to loot. FINALLY night time ends. But I need water....which means heading to a cooking area, to boil water, to consume it...which means collecting more dirty water somewhere.......

It's a time management game at best? There's barely an RPG here. To be fair, I imagine it gets better once you get out of those early areas, but the trouble is the early areas are so unfun I don't feel motivated to find out. As it stands, TES:O seems more appealing even if I hate its online structure more. At least quests feel like quests, and there are NPCs and dialogs. And at least something in the world rather than running around in map editor mode.

For now, I got bored and went back to playing FFXIII. Of all indictments one can levy against a game: "I'd rather be playing Final Fantasy XIII" has got to be the most alarm raising response in the gaming business. They NEED to add something big to this game, for free. They made a sandbox and forgot to add the game.

NEStalgia

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia LOL oh gosh I was not trying to reopen the convo. I'm sure half the thread is sick of us circling the wagon about it. Ubisoft references their extended universe games... that means it is cannon. Let's agree to disagree. I've already beaten AC:Sparta. We can go rounds again when the DLC drops lol.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul. Let the drums fill you with FIRE! Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14 I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

BlueOcean

@NEStalgia Actually, I played Final Fantasy IV on DS, I was wondering if the SNES version was worth checking out, it probably is but my backlog is huge so I'll play another Final Fantasy game instead (after I beat the last Kingdom Hearts games). Finally, I beat Chain of Memories. Gameplay is not balanced for the reasons I have explained recently and I had to grind a lot for using the strategy mentioned by @DarthNocturnal but I liked the story and it has a few surprises on top of the recycled content. I also played Chrono Trigger and The World Ends With You on DS. I liked CT but I didn't like TWEWY much. I also played Secret of Mana on Wii, which is one of my favourite RPGs, probably because of the music and art style, so I'll check the fan-translated sequel.

@NEStalgia Although you say that the 360 download of Final Fatasy XIII is 14 GB I just checked and it's 30.58 GB on Xbox One (before any updates), so it means that it is uncompressed like the PS3 version. Good stuff, right?

488 deals on Black Friday Sale! Some highlights:

Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition: 50% off

Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2 and The Lightning Returns: 50% off

Shadow of the Tomb Raider: 50% off (Croft Edition includes Season Pass)

Crash Bandicoot N.sane Trilogy: 35% off

Sonic Mania: 25% off

Sonic Forces (yes, I know...): 50% off

Monster Hunter World: 50% off

Assassin's Creed Odyssey: 40% off

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Digital Deluxe Edition: 85% off

Okami HD: 30% off

The Evil Within Digital Bundle: 50% off

The Evil Within 2: 75% off (not a popular game but one of my favourite games of the generation)

First-party games included in Game Pass also discounted. All games here:

UK:
https://www.xbox.com/en-gb/promotions/sales/black-friday/xbox...

US:
https://www.xbox.com/en-us/promotions/sales/black-friday/xbox...

EU:
https://www.xbox.com/en-ie/promotions/sales/black-friday/xbox...

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

Delibheel

Huh I may get myself some new final fantasies, Monster Hunter, and the devil within 2.

Might be too much though...

Edited on by Delibheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

JLPick

This question has nothing to do with the topics above...I have an XBOX ONE X system and was thinking about getting Kinect...however, will be needing the adaptor, which somehow, the adaptor is harder than blazes to find. Anyone know where you can get it and it's not someone placing a large price tag on it? Also, there's only a few Kinect games on the system that I found (scratch that, games that ONLY use kinect)...Just Dance, Shape Up, Kinect Sports Rivals, Dance Central Spotlight, Fantasia Music Evolved, Rabbids Invasion and Zumba Fitness World Party...anyone know of any other ones that would make the purchase worth it, or should I just stay away from the Kinect and continue with the PS4's camera and VR items instead. Just curious as it looks like something my kids can mess around with and have fun with.

JLPick

JLPick

Another question...anyone know if you can play Sea Of Thieves without an internet connection, or is it 100% internet only?

JLPick

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano WHOAH! The Forza Horizon 4 Ultimate Edition comes with all the actual cars in the game!!!!

Untitled

NEStalgia

Delibheel

Complete ultimate maxima Edition. Bundles all the dlc for half the price!

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ReaderRagfish

@BlueOcean I liked Chain of Memories on GBA far more than the others in the series. I don't even know why, I just thought the mechanics were really fun and flexible.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

BlueOcean

@NEStalgia Yes. Ultimate is the way to go in Forza Horizon 4 because you get all the cars and most importantly the two future expansions, while Ultimate doesn't include the expansions in the last game. You can buy Forza Horizon 4 Ultimate Edition or if you have Forza Horizon 4 on Game Pass you can just buy the Ultimate Add-ons Bundle so there are two ways.

EDIT: LOL Now I get it... $100,000,000.00

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

BlueOcean

@ReaderRagfish Yes but I played the PS4 edition which is the remake and it's a messy combination of real-time super fast boss battles and turned-based thinking. I had fun after some hours playing normal battles because I learnt how to use the cards, sleights and items in an efficient way.

EDIT: You can play Sea of Thieves on your own but it's an online game always.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

NEStalgia

I love how FFXV Mobile Port is $20 and FFXV Royal is $25.....

NEStalgia

Delibheel

Yeah why bother with XV when the mobile version is cheaper

Eh! My gameplay videos

BlueOcean

The reasons why I love Final Fantasy are the stories, characters and fantasy themes... and soundtracks. I don't think that any of them is a gameplay masterpiece but I haven't found many games that are better as a piece of art. What I love about Kingdom Hearts is its simplicity compared to something like Xenoblade is bliss for me and also the stories and how the Final Fantasy characters are relatable and the Disney characters make sense in their worlds and, most of all, how brilliantly Square Enix combine their stories and write the script. I came late to both franchises and I don't think that any of them are overrated.

@NEStalgia "I have to say the FFXIII remaster is GORGEOUS on X. It looks like a brand new 2018 game".

Nice to hear you say that because I just bought the three of them, I was going to wait until I beat these games I am playing but I didn't resist the Black Friday deal. Last night I started 358/2 on DS so it seems that I am resolute that I play every single Kingdom Hearts game (in their definitive form). Playing a 3D DS game today is not great but the developer really designed clever controls. The other DS game is shorter, I can do this.

BlueOcean

NEStalgia

@Yosheel Shame Diablo: Immortal isn't available on XBox yet....

@BlueOcean yeah, FF just sticks in your head. Even if you don't like the game, you can't forget it. And Uematsu soundtracks are amazing. Especially back when other games really didn't have deep soundtracks it stood out twice as much. Now there's a lot of excellent composers in gaming, but back then, it was peerless in that kind of memorable scoring.

KH is interesting in that it's technically part of the FF sphere, yet is different. So it feels familiar yet unique. Plus it's of course an ARPG, where Xenoblade is a full on heavy RPG like FF but with ATB tweaked into a more "real time" system (Of course the Monolith guys were the ones responsible for a lot of FFVI, FFVII, and FFVIII, so there's a lot of crossover between SC and FF thinking. And Nomura, the director of XIII trilogy and KH3 is the designer of the world of Torna.)

There's a certain magic to Square stuff. It's memorable and timeless. Though the story writing goes too far off the boards and gets too pretentious. The Xehanort arc personifies that. When you get to DQVII you'll see how masterful Enix used to be at this. The thing is written as a novel. The script overflows an entire bookshelf at their HQ. It's a whole library volume, all printed text in the game. It's amazing (they never did that again )

Haha, yeah, I'm envious of you sticking with KH actually. I intended to do that before III comes out but it doesn't look like that's happening But you're definitely going to be pleased with how XIII trilogy looks. XIII itself...has its issues (gameplay is excellent, just slow to wind up. But the on-rails part gets old. Play base XIII not expecting an FF RPG, but enjoying the overall world and the well designed battles. So far I can say XIII-2 feels much more FF already though.)

I'm annoyed I just payed twice as much 3 days ago, though

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic