Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 5,661 to 5,680 of 11,914

ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia wrote:

The few that look great have largely had enhancements for the X1.

Such as Black. Seriously people, buy it. A great classic fps, with interesting story and destructible environments, what more could a gamer want?
@Yosheel If you don't mind your console not auto-updating or downloading bought (Games with Gold) software in sleep mode, just go into settings, startup and select to switch off hard drives when the console is switched off.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Eel

Yes, I left it in quick mode because I downloaded a bunch of stuff last week.

To be honest I expected it to work like the 3DS/Switch, where the game is truly suspended.

I'll have to switch the modes later.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ThanosReXXX

Meanwhile, I think it would be interesting to stoke up the rumor/prediction fires some more again, might make for some entertaining, on-topic conversation...

video description:

Published on Nov 26, 2018

Brand New Xbox 2 Leaks are out in the wild... and it is not looking good for the PS5. At this point, Sony should just cancel the PlayStation 5 and sell themselves to Microsoft.

Source article that the video is based upon:
https://gamingbolt.com/microsoft-looking-to-hire-people-to-wo...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Banjo-

@Yosheel Just exit the game. Select the game icon, press the Menu button (the one with three lines) on the controller and select Quit. This closes the game totally even if the power settings are "instant-on".

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

redd214

@ThanosReXXX well that was a waste of 5 minutes of my life. VERY informative video there

redd214

BrainOfGrimlock

I was singing the praises of how well multiple ‘boxes work the other day, should have known I was tempting fate!

Seems there’s a requirement for the second box to be always online when playing games that I hadn’t realised (basically it has to be set as your ‘home’ console - something you can only change 5 times a year).

Ordinarily not an issue - i’ve been using them like this for a while buuuut enter Australia’s wonderful ISP’s! Internet has been down (for the entire suburb) for the past 26 hours with no estimate for at all (unsurprisingly) for repair.

Tethered to my phone which worked ok, but everytime the signal drops (irritatingly common) the games kick me back to the title screen ‘sensing’ a profile change. Hardly world ending in perspective & i’ve obviously got my switch/other stuff i can play but still irritating that something so trivial is such a blocker.

Other whinge is that you can’t force the machine to use wi-fi when still hard wired, you have to remove the cable first which seems bizarre too.

NB: That link above shows there’s currently an xbl service outage too - not sure what/which region(s) are affected (be hilarious if it’s me and it’s still down when internet is fixed!)

Edited on by BrainOfGrimlock

BrainOfGrimlock

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 Yeah... I just LOVE me a bit of sarcasm from time to time.
But the article it's based on has some interesting information, though, for those into the minutiae of what Microsoft is doing concerning the next generation.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

redd214

@ThanosReXXX I mean not really lol. Basically the article is they're hiring people for the next xbox. No real details or anything outside of cookie cutter job descriptions and position names. It's honestly one of those "yeah, thanks captain obvious" articles more than anything.

If anyone is interested in Darksiders 3 or Just Cause 4 digitally, can get them on Newegg for 10% off with code EMCEERW55. They will both probably drop in price physically pretty quickly so may not be the best, but figured I'd share.

redd214

Banjo-

As Deal with Gold BioShock: The Collection is 75% off, biggest discount ever.

Banjo-

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 I meant the articles AND the links therein. People that know what to look for, will be able to connect the dots from there. Mind you, I'm no (hardcore) tech head myself, but there's individuals that are able to more or less extract information from people's work history and/or résumé's and what not, in order to guesstimate what exactly they might be working on or what will probably be in the next Xbox instead of just coming to the general and most obvious conclusion that Microsoft is "hiring new tech people to work on the new hardware"...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Eel

BlueOcean wrote:

As Deal with Gold BioShock: The Collection is 75% off, biggest discount ever.

Oh cool, I'm glad I saved some of that prepaid card balance now.

I have them on steam, but, yeah, laptop. The family desktop runs it better, but we mostly got that one for my father and using it to play my games is a bad look.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

redd214

@ThanosReXXX cool, thanks

Finally got my wheel working with FH4, adapter wasn't taking update properly or something, and man is like a totally different game. If you have the means and the space highly recommend getting a good wheel setup!

redd214

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 What brand of steering wheel do you have? I've got some cheaper ones for my older consoles, but nine out of ten times, the actually good ones cost a fortune, and seeing as I'm not purely a racing sim player,
I just can't justify the cost of buying one to myself.

Last generation, I briefly considered buying that weird Xbox 360 "air wheel" controller, but ultimately decided against it.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

redd214

@ThanosReXXX I'm using my ps4 wheel currently. It's a Logitech G29 and is currently only a couple hundred bucks. They native Xbone equivalent is the logitech G920. They're mid range wheels for sure but are above controllers if you get used to them. Planning on hopefully getting a more robust setup next year funds permitting of course!

redd214

Dezzy

I think I've asked this before but I forgot the answer.

What improvements do the Xbone/XboneS add when you play original Xbox games?

I assume there's higher resolution and anti-aliasing?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Eel

From what I know most games just run better on the base models. As in, better more stable frames per second.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

NEStalgia

Rather than double post it all, I figured I'd give you guys a link to my comments on Darksiders III if you're interested. I got it on X1 but posted about it in the PS4 thread since there was conversation about it there yesterday:
https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/other_gaming/the_playstati...

@BrainOfGrimlock That's ok, you can be wrong if you want to.

I'll say, I've only seen DA:I with the DLC, and I've not replayed II with it. I played DA2 at launch and it was a painful experience. That was the start of EA trashing everything good about Bioware. I do agree fully with you though, compared to 1, both are bad. I actually have to re-play 1 on console, I played it on PC originally in it's "proper" BG2 style isometric form. It was no BG2 (that made it evident to me just how much Black Isle (a.k.a Obsidian/inExlie/a.k.a. MS Game Studios, now.... )built what we consider to be Bioware's output. ) , and performance was bad, but it had that "MMO type stuff" galore. So did BG2, really.

@Yosheel It does suspend it like Switch & 3DS. The game is probably not counting time but subtracting startup time from current time. When it launched, there weren't suspend modes to consider, it was an early X1/PS4 launch. X1 added "instant on" as a beta in year 1. Sony took like 2 years to add Rest mode (despite promising it 8 months before launch...)

@BrainOfGrimlock Yeah, because box #1 allows any user to play any game on it at any time without checking the licensing server, any other box would have to check the licensing server to run to be sure you're not playing it on many machines (you CAN have a user that isn't you play it on box 1 while you play on box 2, though). That's bitten me a few times with XBL outages the past 2 months, but that's how it has to work (and it working that way is the only reason you can buy one copy for 2 boxes in the houshold and have 2 people play at once ) PS4, and now Switch work the same way.

@ThanosReXXX I was hoping Black would be on the Black Friday sales, but alas. There's always the New Year's sale

@BlueOcean Is BioShock horror/suspense? I keep skipping it because I get the impression it is, and thus isn't for me....yet I often get curious.

@redd214 thanks, I might take advantage of that! Was going to get digital JC4, so it's just a debate of take the 10% now or wait for 20-50% digital sales to happen soon-ish.

NEStalgia

Eel

The bioshocks have a few famous scary bits, but I wouldn't say they're horror or suspense games. They're fairly atmospheric though, I think you should be able to appreciate them.

About the suspend mode, that sounds better, but either way, I'd rather not have a file that thinks I've played for 900 hours. And I'm too lazy to end the game manually every time

Bloop.

Banjo-

@NEStalgia I bought it when it was 50% off and I still haven't played.

Banjo-

Banjo-

Dezzy wrote:

I think I've asked this before but I forgot the answer. What improvements do the Xbone/XboneS add when you play original Xbox games? I assume there's higher resolution and anti-aliasing?

On X the original Xbox games run at native 4K with the associated anti-aliasing and supersampling benefits, on S (and original Xbox One) if I remember correctly they run at native 1080p.

The first backwards compatible original Xbox games were released recently as I said yesterday, but the very first one (on Xbox One, obviously) was Grabbed by the Ghoulies (Rare Replay). It was SD and 30 fps on Xbox and it is 1080p and 60 fps on Xbox One. A huge upgrade, but probably the other Xbox games "only" get the resolution upgrade and smoother performance but not a double frame rate refresh (if they were 30 fps). Anyway the resolution boost from SD to native HD is already massive.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic