Forums

Topic: Xbox One/Xbox 360 Thread

Posts 5,661 to 5,680 of 5,957

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Outside of the Inside Xbox presentation, it's just two days of show floor reports from the X018 Fanfest. Kind of like an Xbox-only mini-E3, from what I've understood, so possibly some off-screen gameplay of certain titles, interviews and so on.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: TheRealThanos

ThanosReXXX

Next Xbox hype video time!

Description underneath the video on the YouTube page:

Sources say that Microsoft has a plan to combat Sony's PS5 in an irresistible way that will make it very enticing to add Xbox to your favorite gaming platforms. Xbox is fast becoming the most flexible console and with new funding, there are some exciting things to come for the next Xbox console. All information here is derived from a source in talks with Xbox Division's plans.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Dezzy

The weird thing with the Xbox One X is that the next gen console surely can't be much more powerful than the X already is.

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

ThanosReXXX

@Dezzy How so? The One X really isn't THAT powerful. It is the most powerful console at the moment, but not by much, and for a new generation to be interesting for developers and gamers alike, there will have to be a significant step up in hardware. And remember: Microsoft is also keen on sharing more titles between Xbox and Windows, so if titles are going to look FAR better on PC, then that's not going to be very beneficial to them.

Obviously, PC will always trump consoles, but the difference in current cross-platform titles is marginal, and I'm pretty sure they'll want to keep it that way.

The One X is 6TFlops, and if these rumors are to be believed, the new premium Xbox is going to be double that, so 12TFlops, or at the very least somewhere between 10 and 12, seeing as it's also rumored that the PS5 is going to be around 10TFlops as well, so Microsoft should either match or surpass them.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Dezzy

@ThanosReXXX

CPU is like 1.5x as fast. GPU is like 4 times as fast. It's a non-trivial upgrade if you ask me.

Plus we don't even know what kind of games the X could run because it's all being constrained at the moment by games being targeted to the base consoles.

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

ThanosReXXX

@Dezzy Non-trivial? If that's the case, I agree, but correct me if I'm wrong, but your comment seems to imply that you meant to say that it's hardly an impressive thing, so that would mean that you think that it's a rather trivial upgrade instead of a non-trivial one...

Well, it's not, really. And we actually do have a pretty good idea of what the X is capable of. It's not held back by the base consoles, and at times, even though it's the most powerful console at the moment, even the One X is struggling with certain games and/or assets of games, so compared to for example a gaming PC, it's pretty clear how much could still be gained.

And going from 6TFlops to 12 isn't as simple as well, that's only 1,5x the CPU and 4x the GPU.
First off, there's more to it, since there's other components in there also cooperating with and optimizing those chipsets, and that in and of itself will already be a considerable improvement upon the current hardware.

And of course, going from 6 to 12 TFlops isn't "just" 1.5 faster/more powerful, but twice, in raw figures. But again: those raw figures don't necessarily represent the exact performance. The current hardware still has some bottlenecks here or there, so even just solving these will already make an impact. Then couple that with hardware that's twice as powerful, and who knows how much memory and bandwidth, and you'll have a massive improvement on your hands.

Besides: think of what you said by, for argument's sake, exchanging game consoles for racing cars:

"But this new car only drives 1,5x faster than my current one"

Even going with that lower multiplied number, and considering that most racing cars could relatively easily reach 200kph/124mph, that would still mean that the new car would reach 300kph/186mph or more.

I'd say that's anything but a trivial upgrade...

On a side note:
If you really DID mean a non-trivial upgrade, then we apparently agree, and I don't have any idea whatsoever what we're debating right now.

Save to say that if by any chance we do agree, all of the above can be considered as not written...

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Well for now titles already don't look "far" better on PC. The big difference in FH4 is it runs (on a super screaming top end rig) 60fps with all the Quality mode settings, plus some effects additional. Certainly different but not jarringly. I think the next gen consoles will be mostly about getting 60fps with the 4k modes up and running.

@Dezzy the CPU is the only real Achilles heel of X. It's an upper-mid tier PC otherwise, but that CPU is a bottleneck. I don't expect a significantly better GPU next time. We're looking 1-2 years away, and the jumps on PC are pretty trivial looking in that time.

I'm the only one on this thread still believing forward compatibility on the X is possible. Ssshh..don't poke the bear if you don't want text walls....just saying....

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, that's exactly what I meant (you REALLY do need to try and interpret my comments a bit better, prevents a lot of miscommunication): they will want to keep things somewhat on the same level. It's okay if the PC versions look slightly better, but they wouldn't want to create a huge gap.

And don't worry, this Titan isn't going to be goaded into any useless argument anymore...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Ryu_Niiyama

My issue is that game devs don't push uniformly consistent and high res textures (the inconsistency drives me more nuts than anything) not to mention absurd loading times. I feel like I spend more time doing something else on the twins than gaming. I don't think beefier hardware is the answer when half the time it feels more like devs can't optimize their way out of a paper bag. Welp since AC:Sparta is in a holding point (since I'm at the level cap and one of the quests I want to do is broken) I guess I'll go find the ps4 so I can play soul calibur.

Taiko is good for the soul. Let the drums fill you with FIRE! Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14 I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Angelic_Lapras_King

And watch all of you apologize to the Switch when the XBox Whatever and PS5 has tons of "4K Rereleases/Ports/Collections" in the first 2 years.

Angelic_Lapras_King

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama I wonder how much texturing is inconsistent and how much is selective reductions for memory management and performance, though? Load times are dismal and are only going to get worse, since it's capped by the rotational speed of 5400RPM 2.5" drives (native) and 7200RPM 3.5" drives if you buy aftermarket. That's the actual bottleneck until we get into SSDs running on USB3.1rev2 (because that spec is a total joke.) And that's going to be an EXPENSIVE storage solution for the ever growing game sizes.

@Angelic_Lapras_King I was going to laugh, but in stead I'm crying. Well maybe not, we got most of the current games in 4k patches for free thanks to the mid-gen bump. I hope..........

NEStalgia

DarthNocturnal

Clearly, they'll have Smell-O-Vision remasters. The burning ozone of a freshly fired Spartan Laser, the smell of fresh rain in Spring in Horizon... the, uh.... questionable smell coming from below decks after your crew drank all the rum and decided to have a bucket vomit fight in SoT...

That... is the future.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Angelic_Lapras_King

@NEStalgia XBONE and PS4 started with tons of "HD Remasters/ports/rereleases", despite PS360 being the HD era. Just because both will be plugging backwards compat next gen doesnt mean every developer will support it fully.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King

@Grumblevolcano Don't forget ports of the XBONE/PS4 ports of PS360 games and ports of the XBONE/PS4 ports of the PS360 Ports of the PS2/XBox era games too.

I'll see myself out. XD

Angelic_Lapras_King

Yosheel

And the Sega Genesis ports

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

NEStalgia

@DarthNocturnal I can't wait for the State of Decay remaster, then!

@Grumblevolcano @Angelic_Lapras_King It'll be interesting to see what happens with ports. A big part of XBox's presence seems to be to bring it more inline with "Steam as a console", so MS is going to be putting pressure on to keep BC up and running at least through one generation, maybe beyond. I think remasters will become the new DLC: You can buy the game at launch, then buy another $60 DLC, or just buy the complete edition for $50 next year. Similarly you can buy the game at launch, or just buy the actual original master next gen.... They'll just start retouching things and adding "new" areas to resell it as better than the prior gen despite BC. It works on PC...but they just sell the remasters on PC too, despite BC existing. And then there's Final Fantasy Maxima.

Personally, I think Sony will push for it, but I think MS is "recommending" a more PC-like approach, but with more "PC-friendly" development processes to make it more painless to support games. After all, XBox supports DirectX, same as PC (the whole point of XBox to begin with) while PS requires separate proprietary APIs.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@Angelic_Lapras_King Before you close the door behind you on your way out: you forgot about ultimate editions/director's cuts...

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal If that is what the future holds, I think I'll pass... out...
If I remember correctly, smell-o-vision has been tried several times already, even as early as the late 60's, both in the movies and in home setups. None were a very big success so far.

Might be a staple for the future of the adult industry, though...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic