Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 2,581 to 2,600 of 11,902

Grumblevolcano

Mass Effect 2 and 3 are now playable on XB1.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Peek-a-boo

Black Friday is approaching, and it looks like Microsoft are throwing the kitchen sink (at it) again.

• $50 off Xbox One S consoles (choose from the Battlefield 1, FIFA 2017, Gears of War 4, the Master Chief Collection + Halo 5: Guardians or Minecraft bundle), along with a $25 gift card and a free game.

$249 for say, Battlefield 1 and a free game (Gear of War 4, for example), a $25 Microsoft gift card and, in some select stores, three months of Xbox Live and an additional $25 store gift card.

If you take away the value of the two games and $50 worth of gift cards, you are kind of getting an Xbox One S for $100!

Looks like the Xbox One will clean up in the US during these festive months.

Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Apologies for the double post, but it is the 15th Anniversary of the Xbox!

I know that the majority of folk associate the Xbox brand with the success story of the Xbox 360 however, I was far more fond of the original Xbox as it felt like Dreamcast 2.0 because of the surprisingly strong SEGA support at the time.

You had Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller, the ESPN games (American football, baseball, basketball, ice hockey and winter games), Gunvalkyrie, Headhunter Redemption, House of the Dead III, Jet Set Radio Future, Otogi 1 & 2, OutRun 2 (and Coast 2 Coast), Panzer Dragoon Orta, Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II, Puyo Pop Fever, Shenmue II, Sonic Heroes and ToeJam & Earl III: Mission to Earth.

Also, the spiritual successor to Metropolis Street Racer arrived on the Xbox in the form of Project Gotham Racing.

I am actually being quite serious when I say that if Microsoft announces backward compatibility with the original Xbox today, I may consider buying an Xbox One S when it inevitably goes below £200 sometime next year.

Untitled

Peek-a-boo

CanisWolfred

Is it selling badly? I just figured they had a surplus. In fact, I found out about that sale while asking around for a deal - no one else I saw had it for less than full price. Granted, I was mostly looking at the PS4 version, maybe the Xbone version did worse?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

Ah. Well, that sucks, at least for them. I'm mostly in it for the singleplayer, though, so hopefully it does better in the long run. A shame that EA gets the shaft when they actually correct a mistake. Now I wonder if I should keep an eye out for a discounted copy of Destiny: The Complete Package We Could've Released Had We Waited 6 More Months To Bake In The Oven Edition...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Grumblevolcano

Activision should've really done Modern Warfare Trilogy Remastered (all 3 games, have its structure be kind of like Master Chief Collection but with better matchmaking) instead of Infinite Warfare and Modern Warfare Remastered.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

CanisWolfred

They reportedly took out stuff that was ready for launch just to use as DLC later. Whether or not those were the "free expansions," though, remains a mystery.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@CanisWolfred

I played through The Dark Below and House of Wolves. They're very unremarkable, regardless of the fact that they may have been held off as DLC or not. Short, very few new locations. Trials of the Elders is fun in Wolves, but otherwise... they'd make you wish they held release off for 12 months, not 6.

Sure, fine, whatever. My only point was that the game was shallow and spread thin just to make more money because they knew damn well it was gonna be a financial success either way. That's why I never bought it in the first place, thanks for reminding me. F*** EA, and I hope they get what comes to them. The. End.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

shingi_70

Destiny was a shallow game upon inception but man it's the game I've spent the most time with. Currently taking a break from it, but the near $200 I've invested has come back in spades.

It's funny how people saying Microsoft announcing the one S and Scorpio at the same time was dumb, and the S is selling pretty well.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

CanisWolfred

Seeing as I got the shirt, I'd say it was a tease if I didn't already own Loast Odyssey anyways. :/

At least I found out that Guardian Heroes is on there now. That was one of the big ones I needed!

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

JaxonH

I was pissed when I heard that Lost Odyssey wasn't actually a free download.

I have the game physically and am in the middle of a play through, but that's one game I want digitally to play any time, no disc needed (did same for Xenoblade X).

I recommend Lost Odyssey to all Xbox owners. I don't care what you have to pay for the game, pay it, trust me it's worth it.,

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Peek-a-boo

@shingi_70

shingi_70 wrote:

It's funny how people said that Microsoft announcing the Xbox One S and Scorpio at the same time was dumb, when the Xbox One S is selling pretty well.

I'm pleased to see their new S model do well, because it is not only a striking design in simplicity, but it also offers the ability to play Ultra HD Blu-ray discs at a reasonable price. Gone is the uninviting VHS slab, and out comes an all new form that, upon first glance, looks like a new console altogether.

And yet, despite the all new design, the Xbox franchises on a whole continues to be the bearer of bad news.

Gears of War 4 only sold 400,000 in its first month, down from nearly 2,200,000 copies that Gears of War 3 sold in its first week on sale. That's an 80% decrease! Even if you factor in digital sales, it is still comparatively poor.

Quantum Break bombed, ReCore bombed (badly) and Forza Horizon 3 is the only game since Forza Horizon 2 that shows some kind of growth in Microsofts first party portfolio; even their biggest flagship game for Xbox, the Halo series, is in significant decline too.

Another piece of news this month after the Xbox One was the #1 selling console in NA was not the gap in sales, but the gap in revenue. The average price of a PlayStation 4 is $306 (sold per console). Microsoft? $204.

That's not only $100 below the RRP, but it is usually bundled with one or more games that takes even more revenue out of their pockets.

This is why they lump Xbox in with the 'other hardware' (Surface, etc.) during their annual financial reports. As the saying goes, 'turnover is vanity, profit is sanity, cash is a reality'. The reality (cash) aspect for the Xbox always stays hidden.

Another example would be the phase, 'the PlayStation family' that Sony coined last generation (by putting the PS2, PSP and PS3 into one basket) in their finance reports to shy away from the indifferent PlayStation 3 sales at the time.

One company is making (good) money, the other isn't making anything at all unless the customer who buys an Xbox One today signs up to Xbox Live or buys another controller or buys a couple of new games.

I've always been curious about the business side of videogames. The story of how Sony loss virtually all their money made on the incredible success of the PlayStation 2 with the PlayStation 3 is a remarkable tale in both the companies ambition and stupidity in equal measure.

That is what's happening to Microsoft this time round; hardly making a dime on the Xbox One itself, and they are totally relying on the customer to be invested in their ecosystem.

TL;DR - Xbox One S is selling better, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Grumblevolcano

Burnout Paradise is finally on backwards compatibility.

Grumblevolcano

DefHalan

So, I got Gear 4 on my new PC. I have only played Horde so far. My friends want to co-op through the story, so I am trying to wait for them. I have to say, so far I think Gears 3's Horde is better for Public matches. So many times I have seen people spend a lot on things we don't need and place them in terrible locations. Auto-Turrets can't shoot that far, stop putting them out in the open. Also, as soon as we lose a round people start dropping. Does it get easier the less people in the match? It doesn't seem to

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

gcunit

@Grumblevolcano Funny you should mention Burnout Paradise. I was only thinking five minutes ago how, and I realise I'm going off topic here, Nintendo should make a Mario Kart-skinned Burnout Paradise type game. Throw in some on-foot 3D platforming and you've got yourself one of the greatest games of all time.

Back on topic: This week I've bought Rare Replay and Halo: Masterchief Collection.

I suppose this means I'm gonna have to pick up an XBone one day too...

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

gcunit

@DarthNocturnal DO YOU REALISE WHAT YOU'VE DONE!?!

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

CanisWolfred

@gcunit I did that once for the PS3, with 3D Dot Game Heroes. It's not worth it. Don't do it again. I mean, the game was great, but by the time I get a PS3, it was <$15, versus the $30 I spent thinking I was getting a deal while being prepared. Microsoft will never run out of those two games. Heck, the Xbone usually comes prepackaged with at least one Halo game. You might find that you'll have two copies one day.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic