Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 2,561 to 2,580 of 11,902

Peek-a-boo

Played some more of Gears Of War 4 on co-op round my friends yesterday evening.

I do like it, and some sequences share more similarities to the original Gears of War rather than the overly bombastic sequel and the third outing. For an Xbox One game, it does have the odd moment or two where you cannot help but be impressed with the visuals - those windstorms, for example, are a treat for the eyes.

On the other hand, and it might just be me, but I do hope the next game adds a dose of originality and try to reinvent the same old, same old gameplay. There's only so many time you can dash over and pin yourself to a waist high wall whilst shooting from behind it before things inevitably begins to feel somewhat stale.

I know that fans will cry wolf however, in a day and age when the fourth God of War has (thankfully) changed the way the game plays, I find that this series needs to be given a new leash of life.

Actually, the highlight of the night wasn't blasting through Gears of War 4, it was playing the first campaign mission in Battlefield 1. Not to put a downer on the visuals for the above game, but Battlefield 1 looks a LOT better, with more things happening on screen at any one time as well as running in 60fps!

DICE are technical wizards!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Ryu_Niiyama

@Peek-a-boo How is the single player content for Battlefield 1? I am not a FPS fan in general but I am intrigued by the WWI focus.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Octane

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

@Peek-a-boo How is the single player content for Battlefield 1? I am not a FPS fan in general but I am intrigued by the WWI focus.

Same here, trailers impressed me. It's been a long time since an FPS has done that.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Ryu_Niiyama Honestly?

Although I only played the first level/mission, I thought it was one of the best opening to a FPS since being dropped onto the cargo ship in the windswept rain in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

It also helps that:

a) The game is visually astounding.
b) Offers fantastic and authentic audio.
c) Set during the Great War, which feels refreshing and original in today's crowded futuristic market.
d) Is genuinely exhilarating to play; feels very grounded.

Although they are two very different games, I preferred my all-too-brief time with Battlefield 1 over Gears of War 4 yesterday evening!

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 has always been my favourite, but this one may (eventually) take its place...

Peek-a-boo

Ryu_Niiyama

@Octane Haha, I'm usually like a little kid in the back seat of a car when a FPS game trailer comes one but I thought the initial reveal of Battlefield 1 looked like it would be fun to play.

@Peek-a-boo thank you. It may be a week or two from now but I think I'll give this a go.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

RR529

Been playing some Red Dead Redemption after the RDR2 trailer.

Beat it long ago, so I'm just doing random "Stranger" quests that I come across, and I ran into one where you get revenge on the guy who killed John. It's definitely not news at this point I'm sure, but I didn't know of it before, so I thought it was pretty cool.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

shingi_70

Just played the Recore demo and I liked it. I noticed some unity related technical hitches right away but for a AA game sort of in the vein of Zelda or Metroid it played fine.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

CanisWolfred

Yes! Another one down!

...Which is good, because I just found a copy of Culdcept Saga in a disc sleeve that I forgot I still owned, so now the count of potential B/C games I'm waiting for is still 7. I'd say "8" if I felt like there was a ghost of a chance that Prey would ever make it on there...

Wait, did I count Raiden Fighters Aces last time?

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Gamer83

@shingi_70
If you can find the full version of ReCore for $20 or less its' worth a buy, there's actually a really good game hidden in there. A little more polish and a few different design choices and the game could've been a real winner. I'd like to see them get a chance for a sequel but considering we've heard nothing about sales I doubt it did well enough for MS to want to invest any money in future entries.

Gamer83

RR529

Just got a used copy of Assassin's Creed III (360) in the mail today!

It'll be my first experience with the series (attracted to this entry due to the time period, as there really aren't that many games, let alone well made games set during the Revolutionary War), so I'm pretty excited.

I'll start it up after I'm done with the show I'm watching on Netflix (only have two episodes left to go).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

@DarthNocturnal, glad to hear that you liked it! (in fact, the biggest complaints, in general, seem to stem from the fact that franchise fatigue was starting to set in when it released, so hopefully as a newcomer it'll be able to wow me, lol).

Now that I think about it, I DO have previous experience with the series, as a long time ago I played the iOS port of one of the DS entries. Though I never beat it, and it's different than the open world console games (it's a level based puzzle platformer with some combat), I did enjoy what I played.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Tasuki

@RR529 AC III is probably my second favorite entry in the series right behind IV but that's another story.

Like you I drawn to the time period and the story ended up a real joy. If you like it I highly recommended IV afterwards.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

RR529

Okay, I've already ran into my first issue in ACIII (not even an hour in...).

I'm on the ship bound for Boston (investigating the rumored mutiny), and it keeps freezing up at the same point. It's during the opening cutscene of the third segment on the ship (it opens with an overhead shot of the ship, stating that it's day 33), and when the screen turns white to load up whatever's coming next, a window (actually looks like the UI of the 360 itself, rather than the game) starts to open, but everything freezes before it can.

It's done this multiple times now, and I don't know what's going on as the disc doesn't have the slightest bit of wear. Next time I'll just try skipping the cutscene & see if that works...

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

@DarthNocturnal, thankfully I was able to get past it this last time.

While it still froze when I tried to skip it, it must have registered it, because the next time I loaded up the save it started up after the freezing point.

Anyhow, I spent quite some time running/climbing around Boston. Picked a chest, took a ride in a hay cart, petted a dog, and some other tom foolery. Oh, and the segment on the ship during the storm was cool.

Here's to hoping I don't have many more technical issues, lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Grumblevolcano

@DarthNocturnal Given the Ezio Collection coming out soon and games already on PS4/XB1, the only main games missing from current gen are 1, 3 and Rogue.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Peek-a-boo

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Given the Ezio Collection coming out soon and games already on PS4/XB1, the only main games missing from current gen are 1, 3 and Rogue.

Although I have never played Rogue (which is supposed to be pretty good IIRC), the lack of Assassin's Creed 1 and 3 is hardly anything to grumble about, given that they are arguably two of the worse games in the series.

I remember Assassin's Creed III marketing; it was blooming EVERYWHERE! In newspapers, in magazines, on television and on the big screen at the cinema - you simply couldn't avoid it!

Two weeks after launch?

Hundreds of copies were piled up in the pre-owned bins in various computer game stores across the country. I was one of many who chucked their copy away too.

It was a huge disappointment, especially after the sequel which is still considered to be the highlight of the series.

Still haven't played another Assassin's Creed since, such was the let down the third one ended up being.

Peek-a-boo

RR529

@Peek-a-boo, as someone who's just started it, could you explain why it's so bad? Is it mainly just technical issues (which I could see being a problem, and has already hit me once), did it just not enhance the gameplay enough (which is understandable, but shouldn't affect me as a newbie), or is there some other reason you hold it in such low regard that I should be looking out for?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Shinion

I liked Assasin's Creed 3. Of course there's going to be differences in opinion based off of how much hype people consume but as someone who hadn't really played an Assassin's Creed game I thought 3 was a pretty good game and introduction to the series. Albeit I've only bothered to get 4 and Syndicate since and found neither to be truly gripping but that's neither here nor there. I think I'll pick up the collection to see what I missed out on before but considering all Ubisoft games are the same anyway I dunno why 3 gets all of the hate.

Shinion

Peek-a-boo

@RR529 I guess you had to 'be there' at the time when the series was at its peak of popularity. I just had very little love for Assassin's Creed III after the Ezio trilogy (Assassin's Creed II, Brotherhood and Revelations).

I thought the opening few chapters were awful!

It was also the most infuriating tutorial in living memory. Reducing such a free-form series into a succession of CoD-esque instances and instructions on basic techniques, which take 3-5 HOURS to complete, was a mindbogglingly terrible decision.

I know, you can go running around in spite of them, but even that's poorly explained (I remember that I didn't go exploring as Haytham, because I was worried I'd lose any map exploration progress when I inevitably changed characters).

As soon as the prologue was over, I had little desire to continue, especially after experiencing a bug/glitch (disappearing flagpoles) that prevented me from competing a story mission.

The Ezio trilogy improved and refined from the original however, you can consider them separate games from the first title; Assassin's Creed is slower and more methodical, compared to the high-speed, low-stealth murder fest of the latter games.

Assassin's Creed III, for me, lacks focus and cohesion. There's nothing tying the game together.

And yet!

If you're enjoying the game, my underwhelming experience probably won't play any part in yours. I was just personally saying that the Ezio trilogy isn't a poorer collection without the first and third games, is all.

Peek-a-boo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic