Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 8,501 to 8,520 of 16,086

Malcrash

I'm pretty hyped for God of War and Spider Man coming soon. PS4 is seriously heating up, just hoping a new Sly game is going to happen (if Sanzaru is working on it)

Malcrash

Twitter:

Dezzy

The PS4 will surely be a contender for having the best first-party exclusives for any console in gaming history by the end of the generation.

Some Nintendo console will probably be slightly better overall but it's surely quite close.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Peek-a-boo

@Dezzy I will always be fonder of the PSone and GameCube first party games, but upon looking at the first party line up for the PlayStation 4, depending on your taste, it’s hard to disagree.

• 2013 was a bit naff, with Knack and Killzone: Shadow Fall ‘leading’ the way. Resogun is really good though!
  • The following year - in 2014 - was better, but it was still lacking a ‘must buy’ IMO.

You had inFAMOUS Second Son early in the year, a cross-generation game in LittleBigPlanet 3 (as it was released on the PlayStation 3 too), then along came Driveclub, which had numerous issues with the multiplayer side of things as well as failing to release that fabled ‘free’ PS+ version.

For non-PlayStation 3 owners, it was a chance to play arguably one of the defining games of the seventh generation, The Last of Us Remastered. Oh, and Hohokum was a delight to play too!

• 2015 was the year when I purchased my first ever (home) PlayStation system, mostly because of the one game that is still my favourite of this generation ~ Bloodborne. I really, really wish I could forget about my entire time with it and start anew from fresh...

And there’s also one of the best horror games going in Until Dawn, which is unlike anything else that has came before. This is one of those few games where different decisions/outcomes actually matters.

It was also the year where Sony pumped out three remasters, each given a different treatment. God of War 3 was a quick port (and an even quicker cash grab) while The Uncharted Collection had its game engine retuned from ground up to go from being 30fps to 60fps, and looked and played as good as ever.

Tearaway Unfolded on the other hand felt like a new game altogether, with additional story content, a visual overhaul and reworked mechanics, due to the loss of various features on the PS Vita, such as the touch screen, the touchpad on the back and the inbuilt camera. It lost a little bit of a charm in the process, but it’s still a remarkably creative game.

Besides from being an incredible visual showcase, the less said about The Order: 1886, the better.

• 2016 and 2017 are arguably two of the greatest years for the PlayStation 4.

With games like Gravity Rush Remastered, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, WipEout Omega Collection (which is now available to play on the PS VR!), Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, Everybody’s Golf, Knack II and Gran Turismo Sport, there was something for everybody to play.

• 2018 is already starting brightly; Shadow of the Colossus and the highest scoring PlayStation exclusive of the generation thus far is coming out in three days time, God of War.

Then Detroit: Become Human, Concrete Genie, Dreams and Spider-Man to follow before Days Gone, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us Part II arrives in 2019.

No complaints from me!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Dezzy

@Peek-a-boo

It's hard to define what counts as first party as well. Like does Ratchet & Clank count? It's a Sony IP and paid for by them but Insomniac itself is not owned by Sony.

If you go back to the PS1, Final Fantasy 7 was given a massive marketing campaign by Sony. But the game budget came mostly from Squaresoft, and they're obviously not owned by Sony either. So does that count as first party?

Octane

@Dezzy If a platform holder owns the rights to the game, it's a first party game. Insomniac doesn't own R&C. Sony just paid them to make a R&C game for them. Square owns FF7, making it a third party game.

Octane

Ralizah

@Peek-a-boo I found Resogun, Until Dawn, The Last of Us, and Bloodborne to be incredibly disappointing experiences.

I do like the Gravity Rush games, and am glad we got a full sequel, but I can't help but wish the second one had been designed for the PS Vita instead. Also, Sony's dismissive treatment of GR2 when it didn't sell well put a bad taste in my mouth. I don't think they did nearly enough to advertise it, setting it up to fail.

I know I already love SotC, so nothing more needs to be said there.

No interest whatsoever in Days Gone, Killzone, either Knack, Gran Turismo Sport, Everybody's Golf, WipEout Omega Collection any of the God of War games, inFAMOUS, Detroit: Become Human, Concrete Genie, Dreams, or the second The Last of Us.

I've played the first four Uncharted games. I actively disliked the first, mildly enjoyed the second, somewhat enjoyed the third, and thoroughly enjoyed the fourth. That series either got way better over time or really grew on me.

I'll probably nab Spider-Man and Horizon: Zero Dawn when I'm out of more exciting games to play and they go on sale. I'm sure they're great games, but I just have very little interest in them.

I'm interested in learning more about Death Stranding and Ghosts of Tsushima, but without more information, can only summon mild interest. Unlike Nintendo games, Sony tends to prioritize original experiences, which makes them more unpredictable. I know I'll enjoy Metroid Prime 4 and Pikmin 4 unless they mess something up pretty badly, but I have no idea about these games from Sony.

I should also say that, one day, I'd love to play Ratchet and Clank. It looks lovely.

Overall, I find myself enamored with Playstation 4's third party exclusives more than anything. I admire Sony's willingness to keep experimenting with new sorts of first-party games instead of going the safe route like Nintendo and associating almost everything with an existing I.P., but that admiration is very cold and clinical. I like the idea of what they're doing more than the execution.

I can understand why others love the PS4's first-party line-up, but I'm just left feeling like I missed something along the way.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

Haruki_NLI

I too feel like I missed some sort of thing. That unfamiliarity is why I cant really associate with PlayStation as a brand. Yeah, I know what their next box is gonna do, and their peripherals are good for the 6 or so months they typically support them, PSVR exempt obviously.

I know I'll enjoy the box, but I find myself waiting for a few years before jumping in, because there is no guarantee I am going to enjoy Sony's output. The PS1 I actually only played two Sony published franchises, Crash and Spyro, and they didn't even own them. PS2, I played a LOT more, but then the PS3 happened, and it was somewhere in between PS1 and PS2 levels or first party enjoyment, but I had to wait because that price sucked, and it took a while to get there.

PS4...I straight up waited. I knew most of the things I enjoyed on PS2 and PS3 were never going to come back, because as we have noted, Sony loves just pushing forward with new things, but it felt alien, unfamiliar, and while that's great for all of you guys, I couldn't justify the purchase on the somewhat low chance that this generation at some point they'd release games I'd like from their first parties, because for all I know, they could do whatever they please.

It'll be the same for the PS5. I will be waiting because there is no guarantee I'll enjoy what they put out. Now third parties, that's a different measure, but for first party, Sony loves striving forward and I admire and appreciate that method, but it also loops back to something.

When Sony makes something new, they either push it like a woman in labour, or send it out and pray. That's part of why none of these franchises stick around. But even the ones that do succeed, by the next system, yeah, they may in fact be gone because the developer wants to do something new, because lord knows you dont want to be doing the same thing over and over.

It also links to PS All Stars Battle Royale Sony Smash Bros.: Who the hell remembered Parappa? Polygon Man? Fat Princess? Sure you had Jak, Nathan, Kratos, Ratchet etc. but you had to really scrape that barrel for characters that Sony owns, that were a recognisable part of their brand...for all of one system.

The only Sony owned franchises I can think of that have appeared with NEW games on more than two of their home systems are Ratchet and Clank, Wipeout, God of War, and Gran Turismo. That's it, and Ratchet and Clank I call a stretch as the PS4 game is a remake.

PlayStation has an overall brand of moving forward yes, sometimes stupidly without much forethought (Lest we forget 2006!), but it's real noticeable, marketable, recognisable IP branding...is a per system basis. The PS3 gets marketed with LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet, so on so forth. PS4 has Kratos, Aloy etc marketing it. What will PS5 have? Lord knows not LittleBigPlanet.

PlayStation has a brand, but it's like Jim Sterling said about PUBG - It's all well and good being there, but you need to be unique, recognisable, consistent. Otherwise yes, you're perfectly functional and fun, but people don't have anything to latch on to.

So by all means yes, keep making new things, that's fantastic and I do applaud that whole heartedly and wish other developers would do more new things too, but with Sony, and the inevitable PS5, I won't have anything to connect to as a brand. It'll be almost like looking at a totally new ecosystem with no recognisable faces. They have to sell it all, all over again.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

-Green-

I just had a PS1, PS2 and my brother had a PSP. I try not to identify with a brand/company and just go for games I consider good and healthy.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Octane

I agree with @Peek-a-boo, the first year-and-a-half weren't particularly great, but they recovered pretty quickly, and they started picking up momentum in 2015. That's when I bought the console. E3 2015, Horizon Zero Dawn and The Last Guardian were all I needed to know. I absolutely love SOTC, so I told myself to buy whatever console The Last Guardian releases on, turns out that was the PS4, and it didn't disappoint. The wait was worth it. I picked up a Wii U in 2013, but when it was clear it wouldn't get most of the third party games, I needed a console to play them anyway. And it gave me a reason to play some of the PS3 games I missed out on, The Last of Us and the Uncharted franchise. The first Uncharted game was difficult to get through, and I didn't understand why the games were praised to high, but 2 and 3 were a lot better, and 4 is still the best one yet. Though I have to say, Lost Legacy was pretty fun too, especially with the more open levels.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Tsurii @Ralizah @YummyHappyPills I was just simply compiling a brief paragraph or two for each year with regards to what SIE studios have put out since the PlayStation 4 launched four and a half years ago!

I totally agree that some of the third party exclusives helps make the PlayStation 4 a more worthwhile console to own, along with their first party line up. I don’t enjoy all of their offerings however, they do seem to cater to a fairly broad audience, with a mixture of different genres and a variety of game styles.

I personally believe that the reason why I enjoy a lot of their games is because I have been a Nintendo only fan for nearly twenty years, and to buy (and play on) a non-Nintendo platform for the first time back in 2015 was like going on a honeymoon, and one that’s still going strong.

Everybody’s different.

I am not a fan of some of those ‘unique’ games that Ralizah likes to play, and he is not a fan of the more story focussed games that I enjoy being taken along... and that’s absolutely fine!

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

@Peek-a-boo It's unfortunate that you have me pegged as a weirdo.

It's definitely true that there's a lot of diversity in the PS4 library. Something to appeal to almost everyone. I knew as soon as it was getting Persona 5 and Gravity Rush 2 (and Silent Hills...) that I would be getting one. I treat it like Sony fans treat Nintendo consoles: as an exclusives machine you power up once in a while when something neat comes out that you can't play on your platform of choice.

Oh, and amusingly enough, I think I've said this before, but before last gen I played primarily on Playstation consoles. And I still think those first two consoles are some of the greatest consoles ever made.

The PS4 is definitely building an epic library of Japanese third party exclusives. Not quite PS1/PS2 levels of awesome in that regard, but leaps and bounds ahead of the boring PS3.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

CanisWolfred

Sony's been hit or miss for me as far as First-party games since...forever, basically? Mostly just my tastes, but when they put out something that seems really creative and fleshed out, I love it. However, when they were chasing platformer trends on the PSOne, I didn't care for a lot of those. When they tried to put out a few hyper-realistic or "mature" games on the PS2 and PS3, I can barely even remember what they were called, outside of Uncharted. Now on the PS4, there's less for me to complain about. I still think the new God of War looks like trash, and of course I still hold that The Last of Us really did not in any way deserve the enormous praise it garnered - it was serviceable action blockbuster at best, and a poor-man's Uncharted with lite survival horror elements at worst. But, outside of those...I'd honestly would have to look at a big list of their first-party games for me to really find anything to complain about, and I'm even including Killzone: Shadow Fall and Infamous: Second Son as games I'm okay with. I also thought Resogun would be overhyped, and it...still kind of was, but I had a lot of fun with it. At least as much as Super Stardust, and that's the most I was asking out of it, personally.

Yeah, normally I'm not a big fan of Sony's first party output. I still have a uge fondness for their Mascot games on the PS2, and I wish more got the kind of love R&C always gets, but even without those, they still have been putting out some decent games, and hardly anything memorably bad. I mean, at the end of the day, the biggest crime any game can commit is to be boring. And they definitely have avoided that sin for quite some time now.

EDIT: Looks at big list

...Okay, I stand corrected. I forgot The Order 1886 still exists. That was definitely boring.

And wow, sony was the ones who published the double duty dog-turds that were Beyond: Two Souls and Heavy Rain? And oh my god, I thought Knack 1 & 2 were just a fever dream...Gah, and I keep forgetting Driveclub exists...what a waste, I should've just waited for GT7...I also still don't see the appeal of LittleBig Planet, either.

...there's actually way more bad than good here. Uncharted, Bloodborne, Horizon, Ratchet & Clank, and Shadow of the Colossus are all great, but outside of those, it's either middling quality, like Killzone and Infamous, and then a lot of garbage...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Dezzy

Well this is rather annoying. Someone's changed the colouring of the new Spyro trailer so that it looks more like the original and imo, it does look a lot better. Someone should send this to the devs and ask them to make the changes:

Top is the actual remastered edition, middle is the photoshopped fan edit, bottom is the PS1 original

Untitled

Haruki_NLI

I'm colour blind so...as long as I can see whats going on the screen I dont care.

Haruki_NLI

@Tsurii Oh. OOOH. Green eyes. Sky Sanctuary is meant to be yellow not white and not have so much vegetation.

That...hm.

Okay moving along then. I've been in this hellhole before and I aint going back. Nope.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic