Forums

Topic: The PlayStation 4 Fan Thread

Posts 7,801 to 7,820 of 9,378

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Thanks for the tip about the PS+ sale! I was bummed i missed the black friday sale and THEN discovered I might want to try the VR games online. It's not quite the $35 it was on black friday, but I'll take it! (I feel kind of dirty subscribing again....)

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia You're welcome!

I'm surprised how often it has gone on sale this year. A few times the last few months. And $40 is a pretty decent price for PS+... if I played my PS4 more, it'd be a no brainer. I think $40 is probably what it should be all the time.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Dezzy

NEStalgia wrote:

That is inappropriate! I need to bang aout a 30000 word essay on Gawker about appearance bias on internet forums now.

They were killed by Peter Thiel because they said he was gay with Hulk Hogan and he wanted to drink their blood for revenge.
I think that's what happened.

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

link3710

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I'm going to wait for the PS4 to go on sale again before buying, but I'm sure it'll hit a good price point bundled with something at some point this year.

link3710

NEStalgia

@Ralizah $40 is what it was the last time I paid....as the full price.... it was gross when they started raising it to subsidize games. But at least I can feel less guilty (Nintendo's $20 sounds better all the time.)

@Dezzy LOL.....one of these days we should chip in and buy Theil a virtual beer for taking down a menace to human civilization, regardless the reasons. If only Kotaku and the rest of the Gawker family could go with it.

NEStalgia

Octane

@link3710 I believe the MSRP for the Pro (1TB) is only $50 more than the vanilla PS4 (1TB), and some games also offer increased framerate for non-4K users. It has some other benefits as well, like some extra ports on the back, it's quieter, 1080p remote play and video recording, etc. And in the case you ever upgrade your TV, you're future-proofed.

Octane

Knuckles-Fajita

@CanisWolfred And what's that supposed to mean?

Anyway, in PS4 relevant news, I played some Persona 5 with my friend who loves the game, and it's my first experience to the sub-series/spin-off that it is.

Gotta say, I thought Tokyo Mirage Sessions was far too Japan for my tastes, but this...jesus.

and the ARMS - NL Inklings: Spring Into The Ring Tournament (July 21st)!

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

CanisWolfred

Checked out the latest trailer of Metal Gear Survive's singleplayer campaign...I'm still not feeling this one. I can see where they're going with it, why they think it'd work and be appealing to MGS fans, but eh...it just looks too boring. Like, I'd rather play No Man's Sky instead. Maybe if I played it co-op I'd get something out of it, but I don't know anyone who'd be interested, and I still wouldn't pay much for it...

Paragon:

I played a few bad matches where I decided maybe I should play Twinblast again. I have nothing against the character, but I've seen so many obnoxious Twinblast players that I got sick of him and stopped playing him out of spite. Someone else beat me to the punch, so I picked solo lane. That's meant for mele characters, but since it was vs AI, Twinblast's player decided to steal my lane, possibly so he could use me as a shield while he farms minions, effectively stealing gold I desperately need to buld health and defense so I could do my job as a tank. Put up with that once today, and I lost every teamfight. It's like I shouldn't have bothered showing up. I don't know why they do this, it never works once their opponent hits level 5, and then we lose a tower. :/

This time I figured...I have a card called coinmaster, and so I get extra gold periodically. Why not just quit and come back in 5 minutes? He'll have to switch lanes to help left lane, I mean, they'll struggle regardless. I can't go over there until I hit level 5, or I'll just feed the enemy DPS - I need that ultimate for the character I was playing.

So I do that, do the dishes, come back...it's a mess. Apparently the game glitched out hard after I quit. Twinblast couldn't hit the broad side of a barn due to lag. Gideon is floating. Our jungler had to reset. 3 of the enemies stayed at their base so we lucked out there, but Gadget had to manage the entire thing for a while. Twinblast quit as soon as I got back. I feel so bad. I mean, we won. I farmed my initial lane and had a huge edge over my opponent, who finally left base. Twinblast leaving meant another AI was inactive for a time, and overall I got to finish the map without him. Or Gideon, who went with a DPS build for some stupid reason, anyways. He's a mage that chucks meteors, why would you purposely limit that for the sake shooting tiny blast slightly faster than normal? Instead he got to float in a corner, occasionally firing tiny blasts at nothing so he doesn't get penalized.

I wanted to teach a single team member a lesson, but I could not even imagine the consequences that effected my entire team. I guess I should've realized it was a team game and stop worrying about personal glory...although it was way more fun this way. Not gonna lie, the AI is kind of dumb. I was actually afraid of Shinbi and Muriel for a while, despite them having the borkiest AI in the game. Shinbi literally wastes half if her mana before she even gets to her lane. It's like an in-joke. Yet at one point she actually forced me to scramble for an invisibility buff, since just a few hits would've been enough to kill me and send me back to base. She also had 10 kills before I got back. I don't want to know how that was possible.

and before anyone asks: That was a known issue. It's happened to me before. I've even been that guy who was stuck with extremely limited movement before, like Gideon there. Really sucks. Suddenly the game becomes a snail sim.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Ralizah

YummyHappyPills wrote:

Gotta say, I thought Tokyo Mirage Sessions was far too Japan for my tastes, but this...jesus.

?

Snaplocket

@Ralizah I think YummyHappyPills is saying that she (or he) thought TMS was way too Japanese and it turns it Persona 5 was even more Japanese. Which honestly is kinda saying something.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Ralizah

@Snaplocket I mean, it's definitely Japanese. It's a Japanese game made by Japanese people that comments on Japanese society.

TMS was about idol culture, though, which is much more uniquely Japanese as a social context than what is in this game.

Knuckles-Fajita

@Ralizah @Snaplocket Yeah, TMS was...something I didn't expect when you cross FE and SMT, it's very JPop and anime and dare I say visually loud?

Persona 5 is kinda the same. It's got a super anime thing going on and the presentation is just...what. It's mad!

Not that super anime/absurdly stylised things are bad, they are just a bit of a sensory overload for me. The reason I say it's "Too Japanese" is that's typically my response to anime. I can only go so far into a culture and man, TMS and Persona 5 really want you to like anime.

On that note @CanisWolfred care to explain your remark?

Ralizah

@YummyHappyPills Oh, yeah. modern Persona games are known for being way over-the-top in terms of how completely they commit to a certain sense of style. Persona 5 is basically an interactive anime filled with hyper-stylized animations and UI elements, as well as hosting an almost overwhelmingly jazzy soundtrack.

It's all business as usual to me, but then, I've played Persona games before, and have been a general weeb for so many years now that I can actually feel kind of weird and uncomfortable playing a lot of western AAA games. Not a fan of the gun fetishism often on display and the grizzled white dudes walking around mumbling to themselves.

Have you ever played a mainline SMT game?

Edited on by Ralizah

Knuckles-Fajita

@Ralizah Never played SMT either.

Ralizah

@YummyHappyPills They might be more your speed. The aesthetic is still obviously Japanese, but they're very subdued in comparison to something like Persona 5 or Tokyo Mirage Sessions (or, hell, Xenoblade Chronicles 2). There's no J-Pop, flashy outfits, chaotic battle U.I.s, etc. The narratives and characters are also much more grounded.

CanisWolfred

@YummyHappyPills Yeah, I saw a bunch of walls of text pertaining to Detroit whatever that felt like a lot of strawman/mountains-out-of-molehills and I added you to my ignore list. I think I might've overreacted, though. I just kind of assumed the worst because its the internet and some of your posts in this had rubbed me the wrong way before.

But now we're talking about SMT and I cannot resist that siren song.

...hopefully I don't regret it.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Dezzy

Holly new recipes.

Episode Ignis for FF15 adds an alternative ending to the main game. That's insane. I'm gonna have to go and play it pronto. Or Prompto.

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

Octane

@CanisWolfred I have to say, your obsession with Paragon makes me want to try it. There's no single player or offline mode, right? I don't have PS+ unfortunately.

@Ralizah I want to try Persona 5 some day, it's definitely pretty cheap these days. Maybe next year...

Octane

Ralizah

There are several 2017 PS4 games I still want to play next year:

• Nier: Automata
  • Horizon: Zero Awards
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Yakuza 0 + Kiwami
  • The rest of Gravity Rush 2

@Octane Just clear out your schedule before you do. It's a long game.

...unless you pull some time dilation BS like you apparently do with Pokemon games.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic