Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 7,781 to 7,800 of 16,083

Tasuki

Picked this up from Limited Run Games

Untitled

It's odd because most of my PS4 game purchases have been digital, but I liked how the artwork was an obviously nod to the NA NES River City Ransom, which is one of my favorite NES games. So of course I had to get a physical copy.

Looking forward to playing this when the guys from work come over next week for game night.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Peek-a-boo

Just had a random thought.

This time last January was stacked for PlayStation 4 owners; Digimon World: Next Order, Gravity Rush 2, Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue, Resident Evil VII (on the PS VR), Tales of Berseria and Yazuka 0. It was crazy!

This month, however, is rather quiet.

I can only think of Monster Hunter: World and... well, that’s all I can honestly think of. The next game I feel very compelled to buy is Shadow of the Colossus (remake), which is not out for another five or six weeks.

It’s probably just as well really, given my small but manageable backlog.

Peek-a-boo

Dezzy

Red Dead 2 and God of War are gonna make the PS4 pretty competitive in the first half of 2018 me thinks.
I wonder when Kingdom Hearts 3 will be released? Probably this year.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Haru17

Capcom is consistent on their Januarys, it's everyone else who needs to step up their game.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Octane

Monster Hunter, Shadow of the Colossus and God of War for me in the first three months.

I'm interested in Kingdom Come: Deliverance, but I'll wait for reviews first.

Octane

Ralizah

@Peek-a-boo MH World, Ni no Kuni 2, and SotC are all pretty exciting releases. With that said, I have 19 games in my PS4 backlog, so I'm going to ignore the first two this year and clear out my backlog (I won't be missing SotC, though).

But yes, I have the feeling that 2018, while good, won't live up to the titanic standards set by 2017. At least, for PS4/Switch. Xbox One will likely continue being the same multi-plat machine it always has been.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

@Ralizah This year looks more promising than last year to be fair. Still don't know why 2017 is praised so much. I bought less games than previous years.

Octane

TuVictus

I really hope they do a ni no kuni re release for PS4, I missed it, but the ghibli animation makes me in love with it anyhow

TuVictus

Ralizah

@Octane
Nier: Automata
Persona 5
Gravity Rush 2
Resident Evil 7
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Yakuza 0
Yakuza: Kiwami
Nioh
Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony

And there's stuff other people like a lot as well, such as a new Uncharted, Crash Bandicoot trilogy remaster, etc.

It was an insanely good year, and (controversial opinion time!) the first year that PS4 felt like a console worth owning.

And that's putting aside the amazing year Nintendo had on 3DS/Switch (and Wii U, even being dead, got its best game this year, so even that system enjoyed 2017 to some extent).

2018 looks... OK... on the PS4 front so far. Those three games I mentioned all look pretty good, but otherwise? Nah.

Octane

@Ralizah
Monster Hunter World
God of War
Shadow of the Colossus
Days Gone
Detroit: Become Human
Red Dead Redemption 2
Spider-Man
Dragon Quest XI
Ni No Kuni 2
Kingdom Hearts 3

I simply wasn't into Nier. Persona is not for me, and neither are horror games (RE7). I only bought Gravity Rush, Horizon, Uncharted and Nier. Whilst I liked the former three, I was a bit disappointed with other games like GNOG and What Remains of Edith Finch. Don't get me started on Zelda I liked Mario Odyssey though. A very mixed year IMO. I prefered 2016, with Uncharted 4, The Last Guardian, The Witness, Hyper Light Drifter, The Witcher 3 DLC, etc.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Octane I normally agree with you, and on a lot of things too, but 2017 was a fantastic year!

It was easily the best year of this generation yet with regards to different genres, the sheer variety of ways to play and a new console that exceeded expectations in terms of software. I will admit that there was nothing quite like The Witness and The Last Guardian however, The Lost Legacy is a lot more fun than Uncharted 4 and after playing Bloodborne, I couldn’t stand the feeble combat in The Witcher III.

I do remember you not being overly fond of the likes of GNOG and What Remains of Edith Finch, the latter of which has ended up on both a pleasingly and surprisingly high amount of Game of the Year lists.

Sounds like you are not overly keen on experiencing Japanese culture in games, maybe?

You need to man up and play Resident Evil VII! It’s blooming scary on the PS VR, whereas it is more so on the tense side of things when you play it on television. I scare fairly easily, but I did not have a problem...

I bought 21 games last year and I completed all but two, due to added content through a season pass. In 2016, however, I bought 24 games, but I only completed about 15 or 16 of them, mostly because I didn't enjoy them all, which personally cannot be said for any of the games I purchased in 2017.

Everybody’s different!

p.s. 2018 looks just okay to me.

I haven’t got the faintest clue what Nintendo are up to other than a vague ‘2018’ window for Metroid Prime 4, and while Sony has a lot of big games coming out, especially God of War and Spider-Man, none of them have a concrete release date with the exception of Shadow of the Colossus in the middle of February.

Microsoft only has three games on their release schedule at present; Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2, all three of which we have known about for longer than two (or more) years.

Let’s hope we get a clearer picture of things in a few months time.

Peek-a-boo

Dezzy

Is Nier a game of Japenese culture?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Videogameguru50

I don't want to be that guy but I think it shady that Capcom is going to take 8 months to release a P.C port for world, its like the game is going to be dead on arrival once it's hit p.c

Videogameguru50

Ralizah

@Octane While it doesn't change my feelings as a whole, I did forget about DQ XI. Hopefully we hear more about that localization (and its disturbingly up-in-the-air Switch port) soon.

I might nab RDR2 if it doesn't lean too heavily on the online side of things (the original was, all things considered, a reasonably fun game), but I don't have the least bit of interest in any of Sony's western exclusives, unfortunately.

Haru17

I mean if we assume September Monster Hunter only comes out a year and three months after announcement, which is less than every other game not by Bethesda sooo... doesn't seem shady to me.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

CanisWolfred

Ralizah wrote:

2018 looks... OK... on the PS4 front so far. Those three games I mentioned all look pretty good, but otherwise? Nah.

Considering there are 10 games coming out in a 4-week time span that I really want for the PS4, I definitely disagree. Though, after looking at the 2017 games you mentioned, I wonder if this year will be as Front-loaded for the PS4 as this year was? I honestly felt like the PS4 hits slowed down by the summer time, at least by my tastes...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Haruki_NLI

@CanisWolfred Lost Legacy was August or September (I forget that game exists tbh) and after that there was GT Sport and third party titles as per usual.

Yep. Front loaded their exclusives (and their better games too) and back loaded all their press events into a 6 month period for some reason.

They need to work on the balance a bit on both ends.

The first 6 months are all the games and thr latter months are events showing you games that still dont have a date.

Now if they announce Spyro remakes I will be sat judging everything they do as one mistake will be immediatelu noticable to the trained Spyro veteran of nearly 20 years.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

-Juice-

Dezzy wrote:

Is Nier a game of Japenese culture?

I'm not sure what you're asking.

If you're asking if Nier is a game about Japanese Culture and ideology as a history lesson: No

If you're asking if Nier rides heavy on modern Japanese cultural tropes found in most of their media: to an certain extent. Not as bad as XC2, but if you're extremely turned off by anything Japanese-ey, it might not be for you.

Nier Automata is, from my view, a mesh of Western and Japanese cultural values, but most of its narrative is heavy on various writings from world philosophy. It's the type of philosophical questions that the Xenoblade series has you ask yourself, except there's a lot more of them, and they're often really heavy. It has multiple endings that bring new narratives and gameplay to the table, and only when you've gone through each one do you see the true gravity and awe of the game's narrative as all of its themes tie together.

Edited on by -Juice-

3DS Friend Code: 0962-9923-0016

Haruki_NLI

Great.

Now tell us about the game part.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic