Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 5,761 to 5,780 of 16,083

Dezzy

@Tasuki

I think most people would probably prefer the 2nd. I personally preferred the first though because I preferred the setting and I don't care that much about the loot system in the 2nd one. The open world aspect of it also doesn't add that much really.
The 2nd one nails the art style a lot better though, I'll give it that.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Peek-a-boo

I watched the Spider-Man reveal trailer from E3 last year, and the more I see it, the more impressed I am. I mean, just take a look at how much heft Spider-Man puts into his attacks - you can kind of gauge a sense of how hard hitting his attacks feels, thanks to the clever camera work and those superb animations:

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

If this game turns out to be as good as it looks, Sony will have yet another success story on their hands!

Peek-a-boo

Haruki_NLI

I'm looking at that setting and seeing Arkham City and beyond in the daytime.

And I didn't like those games.

What worries me is this is Insomniac, but they've been tied to a license.

And we know how that goes.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Peek-a-boo

@BLP_Software You're not half a Debbie Downer, aren't you?!

I'm personally not worried because Sunset Overdrive proves that Insomniac Games understands open-world traversal better than most studios, and that they themselves approached the head of SIE and asked if they could do a Spider-Man game after the Disney/Marvel/Sony agreement a few years ago.

This means that they are not 'tied to a license' as you think they are, because they openly wanted to do it themselves. Ted Price (the CEO of Insomniac Games) had an interview not long after E3 last year saying that the opportunity to make a Spider-Man game was the pinnacle of their 22 years in this industry.

I genuinely cannot think of a better studio to have a go at Spider-Man.

Peek-a-boo

Haruki_NLI

@Peek-a-boo Hey, its cool that they wanted to make it, that's a positive, but that isn't abundantly clear in this industry is it?

Heck, you look at most licensed games. Not many give that transparency, but it also still has to fit within Disney/Sony/Whoever Else Owns Spider-Man now's restraints.

On one hand, its Insomniac, a team I have immense respect for, and I have no doubt it will at least look good.

On the other hand, they also made FUSE, so no one is safe from a dud.

But given it was their choice it should, I hope, mean they have more freedom. However, it is still a very high profile license, and as we all know, the meddling can exist even if its a passion project.

Though Sony did practically run that license through the dirt so...can't be all bad I guess.

I should stress I am pensive. Regardless of the origins of the game, it still is what it is, and history repeats itself. Remember Insomniac also wanted to do a R&C movie and had a lot of control over that, and while I found it enjoyable, not a lot of people did. History repeated itself with video game movies with their passion in full force, and I am fully prepared for it to happen again.

I must stress, not saying it will be bad or that I want it to be bad, but I am bracing myself because its a high profile property, and no amount of passion can prevent something going wrong.

But hey, apparently I cant be cautious about a product, right? Does look pretty, Ill give it that. But that's not what sells a game to me. Insomniac did this with Ratchet and Clank, saying it looks great repeatedly, not mentioning the game part of it. Thankfully that turned out okay.

Need to see a lot more to judge the design choices made, how combat properly flows, travel, mission structure etc. etc.before we all jump and say that looks good therefore it is good.

Again, just my stance as a cautious mind. No offence intended, before anyone grills me for that. This is a discussion not a "I'm right your wrong". Ive laid down my case, now to discuss like civilised human beings.

NEStalgia

That was one of the low points for me honestly from last year's show. It looks so samey. Is there anything about that combat that doesn't look like it's been done before 100 times? Assassin's Creed, Arkham, etc. If you're a big fan of Spidey it's great to play the role, but one its own I'd ask what makes it different from all the other open world melee action games one can buy? GoW doesn't interest me, personally, but I was still able to get some hype from the reveal....this one felt like filler to me as someone who's not an existing fan but did play the last Activision published Spiderman on WiiU (Because, it was SOMETHING during the drought )

NEStalgia

Peek-a-boo

@BLP_Software My 'Debbie Downer' comment was tongue firmly in cheek!

I'm only passing on what Ted Price has said (last year) and that they have made it quite clear that it is a project that Insomniac Games are openly pleased to get an opportunity to have a crack at.

I am aware that you would like the Insomniac Games of old to return though (I remember our Spyro the Dragon conversation), and to be able to pursue something akin to the likes of what they used to come up with in the PSone and PlayStation 2 days. I would love to see them go back to their roots too.

For now, let's remain positive and/or optimistic about Spider-Man and see what else turns up in the future from the studio once they have finished. I reckon another Ratchet & Clank is in the works after the success of the loosely inspired remake of the original game, or at least I hope so!

p.s. I have never played let alone heard of FUSE until today! I guess that gives some folks a reason to be a little bit cautious (about Insomniac Games). You learn something new everyday...

Peek-a-boo

Haruki_NLI

@Peek-a-boo I'm all for them doing New things and I'm very grateful that unlike Naught Dog they don't discard what made them.

I'd expect them to have something else in the works though IIRC Ratchet and Clank took both studios to make. Who knows.

And you hadn't heard of FUSE? Can't say I blame you. Yeah that was them too. Everyone has duds.

You know what's worse? I spoke to a guy from EA who revealed it was their decision to change it to what it became, not EA's.

But yeah let's remain optimistic. At least that way we can have hope.

Octane

@BLP_Software Sony doesn't own Crash Bandicoot, so another ND-developed Crash game is very unlikely at this point.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Octane Yeah, I know. I have to keep telling people that fact.

When I say "throw away" what made them, I don't just mean Crash. Jak and Daxter, and most of their little known pre-Crash stuff. Heck, Uncharted will go that way too. Naughty Dog claims the market for those games dies, when it doesn't. It gets smaller as it saturates.

NEStalgia

@BLP_Software This belongs in the "unpopular opinion" thread, but honestly, Jak was NEVER particularly good. It's hailed as some be all end all of gaming. The first was a competent collect a thon platformer, but never reached the heights of memorability that Nintendo and Rare's outings of the era in that genre did. 2 gets the most love...honestly, my "unpopular opinion" is that it's actually an average to, at times, bad game, that was presented in a cinematic scope that blinded everyone from how awful the game played because of how cool the presentation was. From there' they've been style over substance ever since.

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia I almost wanted to call Jak & Daxter a poor man's Ratchet & Clank, but thanks for taking that bullet!

Octane

Ralizah

On the subject of older ND games... I was shocked when I went back and tried playing the PS1 Crash games. They are... well, I won't say bad, but they have some horrendous level design, camera angles, and platforming. In comparison to games like Banjo, Mario 64, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Spyro the Dragon (which is still solid if you put aside the fact that you apparently turned left and right with the shoulder bumpers!), though, the games are mediocre at best. The second one was the only game I got much enjoyment out of. The original was simply too rough, and the third game is filled with terrible vehicle levels.

NEStalgia wrote:

honestly, my "unpopular opinion" is that it's actually an average to, at times, bad game, that was presented in a cinematic scope that blinded everyone from how awful the game played because of how cool the presentation was

Ahahaha! Naughty Dog in a nutshell. I love it.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Tasuki

@Dezzy Yeah so far.Darksiders is reminding me of Zelda OoT or Mario 64 where as you have a hub world so to speak and dungeons contacted to it. I wouldn't classify it as open world. I have heard as well that gear plays a more dominant role in 2 then it did in one and that the gear can be customized to fit your playstyle.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

JaxonH

Started playing Persona 5. Finished off Zelda, finished off Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (well, I'll never be "finished" with that game but, I've got gold Mario and cart and all that and am done playing on a binge basis). So I have a little time before Ultra Street Fighter II, Disgaea 5 and Arms, and decided to play Persona for the next week, week and a half. I love it so far.

Even managed to get Remote Play working on Vita today over the internet at work via Hotspot. Ever since Switch I can't go back to only playing games at home. I want to play wherever I go- it's a complete lifestyle change. So I got it working and it was laggy, and had to map buttons to the rear touchpad, and in 540p streaming didn't look too hot (although once I switched to 360p it was much, much worse, but more stable). A subpar experience but, it did allow me to keep playing my Persona. Which was cool. I'm not sure if I continue using it as a means to play in the future but I might, at least for the next week.

@NEStalgia @Ralizah
I never really liked any of the PS platformers tbh. Even the new Ratchet & Clank (which is probably the best of them all) didn't really grab me. The only 3D platformer that I ever liked was Mario though. Even DK64 I thought was totally meh compared to DKC, which, speaking of, I think Tropical Freeze is the single greatest platformer I've ever played. Maybe Super Mario World is better, but it's a close call.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Videogameguru50

@Ralizah Naughty dog games these days in my opinion are look at the cool story and presentation but have outdated mechanics and passable gameplay.

Videogameguru50

Videogameguru50

@Tsurii You never seen a racing game if you don't play Diddy Kong racing, that game was amazing.

Videogameguru50

Videogameguru50

I don't want to be that guy but Sony flashy E3s never hooked me. A lot of the trailers shown feel like cinematics not actual gameplay and most of the games annouched take forever to come out.

Videogameguru50

Ryu_Niiyama

I think all of my big sony games have come out except spiderman. I'm hoping that if spidey does well we can go back to more traditional superhero games. Rather than lego or batman having the only outings. I think I'll head back to Yakuza for a bit.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

TuVictus

I remember last E3, I think, many of Sony's games didn't particularly interest me. Days Gone was yet another Zombie survival game, and God of War looked more generic with the whole over the shoulder type gameplay.

But Spiderman looks great and I'm excited to see what else they show of the games they have coming up. Maybe they can change my mind.

TuVictus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic