Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 4,481 to 4,500 of 16,083

Haru17

Tsurii wrote:

cut costs in half by developing for only one system

That's not how that works. The graphics would provide the extra frugality in the case of a Switch release, not the lack of ports.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Shinion

Monster Hunter 5 exclusive for PS4 makes sense for several reasons:

• Monster Hunter on consoles always have been bigger than on handhelds
  • Street Fighter V is proof that being exclusive to the PS4 actually pays off for Capcom
  • The MonHun franchise is strong in Japan but stronger in the west which makes the shift to home consoles plausible
  • The huge userbase they've built on the 3DS which is attached to the mainline series and jumping towards the Switch in the future would probably understand why they would have to play only the 4th Gen games in the series and not object to missing out on future games.
  • There have been many, many clones of Monster Hunter's gameplay formula that have been incredibly successful this generation so it is inevitable that the king gets a big slice of the pie now.
  • Increased budget costs and the need to homogenise the series to appeal to the bro dudes that make up a ton of the PS4 userbase will be an easy task to do in this instance, and particularly when considering Capcom's spotless history of making their Japanese games appeal to western audiences. What's that you say, Resident Evil 6? DMC?

Kinda excited for this!

Shinion

Octane

@Shinion To be fair, the first two entries started off on PlayStation, and the third one on the Wii. Capcom doesn't care on which platform the game ends up on, as long as they sell enough copies.

Octane

Octane

@Tsurii Yeah, I got that it was a sarcastic post, hence my reply. I don't think Capcom cares on which platform their next MH game is, as long as it sells, they're satisfied. The franchise switched platforms several times, so I don't think it's a given that it'll remain a Nintendo handheld exclusive.

Octane

Shinion

@Tsurii You can take it easy it's just a dig at how incompetent Capcom have been recently and how using logic here might not be the smartest thing to do. I mean, we are talking about the company that somehow managed to mess up Street Fighter so badly that Pokken Tournament sold faster than the latest instalment in that supposedly top tier longstanding fighting game franchise. Capcpom could mess up the most popular game series in Japan easily, they have the ability to do so and my points were alluding to the warning signs that they should be thinking about. But of course they won't, because Capcpom can't even check if their company name is spelt correctly in the trademark listings in some of their games so I could very well see a repeat of DMC or Resident Evil 6 happening here.

Shinion

Ralizah

A big-budget console Monster Hunter would be awesome. I like the handheld games, but imagine how much more spectacular MH could be on a powerful system!

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

TuVictus

Didn't street fighter 5 perform way under expectations?

TuVictus

Peek-a-boo

@Operative I believe exactly 1.5 million copies were shipped when the game first came out, and they have only shipped an extra 100,000 copies since then so, I guess you could say it has underperformed in some respects.

Yet looking at EVO and all the official fighting tournaments this year, Street Fighter V broke all kinds of attendance and entry (number) records to the point that you'd think it was a roaring success!

I love playing the game myself, but I won't deny that it had a rocky and somewhat underwhelming launch.

Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

I love this photo.

Untitled

Just how many companies have released not one, not two... but THREE new pieces of hardware in a space of less than two months?!

After feeling pretty ho-hum about the Switch reveal, I may find myself (inconceivably) buying a PS VR soon...

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Shinion

@Peek-a-boo what was the 3rd one? I heard about the PS Pro when loads of people were complaining about it on Neogaf and I've obviously heard about PSVR which has made lots of people very happy but definitely has not given any indication that it is "the future of play". Also made GAME a pretty penny charging for demos which is good and good but that's irrelevant.

It wasn't another Vita/PSP Go/PS TV that no one cares about was it?

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

IceClimbers

You're gonna get your open world console Monster Hunter 5 with dumbed down combat, and you're gonna like it

Edited on by IceClimbers

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Peek-a-boo

@Shinion PlayStation 4 Slim (1), PlayStation VR (2) and the PlayStation 4 Pro (3), which is coming out next week!

And although there's no new hardware revision of sorts, I do believe the PS Vita will soon be available in two new colours in Japan too.

Busy Sony are busy.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Haru17

@Octane #Yearofthehorse

...but not like in a Zodiac way, or anything.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

CanisWolfred

It also helps that Street Fighter V is a fun game, it's just too bare-bones right now, even by First-gen Street Fighter release standards, and getting more content is becoming a hassle if you don't have the Season Pass. At the very least, I personally hope Capcom focuses more on adding an additional mode for me to points in, because at this rate it's going to take me a full years before I can afford to get a third DLC character, and there are currently 6 to choose from...

I dunno if Ranked matches get you significantly more points, but I'm too casual for that. I don't really care about winning, I just wanna play...but now if I want to play as Ibuki, I gotta keep winning...or try my hand at the harder Survival modes. Which...I'm not looking forward to. My hands are still recoveing from the 2+ hours of Story mode content - Which, yes, was as godawful as I expected, and a complete waste of time all around. And I only got 30,000 points from it! That's not even enough to get a character! I was hoping for 100,000 at least, if not 150,000 after being forced to fight an overpowered version of M.Bison, what, 3 times as different characters? Not that it matters, it was always 1-round, but then your characters always gets changed up on you. Don't even get me started on the cutscenes, either - I would honestly rather watch every other official Street Fighter movie out there, while being forced to play through Street Fighter: The Movie for the 3DO between each one, than sit through those cutscenes again. It'd probably be quicker and more rewarding overall, too.

Also: why were there more than 10 variations of Cammy? And I'm not just talking about clothing variations, they designed 10+ full characters with unique movesets using Cammy's character model and...are we even gonna get to play them?

...well, if we do, it'll probably be DLC, and I'm not even talking about Season Pass stuff, because FML...

TL;DR - Capcom made a fun fighting game, but screwed up everything else.

Honestly, I spent way too much time ranting over this. So here's a short summary of things I chose not to include here:

• Season Passes suck, and the old method of retail updates had more benefits than gamers gave it credit for
  • The possibility of a "Cammy Corp" spin-off (with a dollhouse diarama mode to really nail that "Vega loves his Barbie Dolls" thing they had going on)
  • Does anybody else remember "Street Fighter II V", the animated series they made in the '90s?
  • The ending to Karin's Character story was so much of a ****tease that I was this close to writing a Street Fighter fanfic with a blatant self-inserted love-triangle with Karin & Sakura as a vain attempt to preserve my sanity.

...Honestly, I'm starting to think any of those would've been more fun to talk about...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Ralizah

Street Fighter V is aimed almost exclusively at competitive players.

Which is fine, but it'll only really sell well with people who play fighting games competitively. The rest of us who just like to boot up a fighting game once in a while to duke it out with some bots in story mode have no reason to buy it.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round is currently the best traditional fighting game of the gen.

Edited on by Ralizah

CanisWolfred

Ralizah wrote:

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round is currently the best traditional fighting game of the gen.

No. Because Guilty Gear Xrd exists. And BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend/Central Friction. Honestly, I think Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax might be better, too. And J-Stars if you're into 3D Anime Fighting games (which I'm normally not, but I still found J-Stars immensely enjoyable. It's actually pretty deep, with a boatload of singleplayer content. It's still poorly balanced and a little bit too hectic, but never to the point where it feels totally unfair).

Oh yeah, and Skullgirls is on PS4 now. So that's at least at #3 or 4 on the list. Not to mention Ultra Street Fighter IV.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Ralizah

@CanisWolfred I'll respectfully disagree from the perspective of someone who doesn't really enjoy combo-heavy fighters like those. I love DoA's core combat mechanics and its ridiculous yet very recognizable characters. I also enjoyed my time with MKX.

I haven't truly loved a fighting game since Street Fighter Alpha 3 on the PS1, though. If we're not considering Smash or Power Stone as fighting games, that is. They seem more like brawlers to me.

Let me ask you a question: did an actual human come up with the name "BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma," or did someone jumble a bunch of Scrabble pieces around in a hat and randomly select letters from it? Also, what the heck does "Xrd" mean? When I google it, I either get hits for that game or something called "X-ray powder diffraction."

Edited on by Ralizah

CanisWolfred

Ralizah wrote:

@CanisWolfred I'll respectfully disagree from the perspective of someone who doesn't really enjoy combo-heavy fighters like those. I love DoA's core combat mechanics and its ridiculous yet very recognizable characters. I also enjoyed my time with MKX.

Yeah, we really are on opposite sides of the spectrum here. I've always consider DOA pretty low-tier, even when just talking about 3D fighting games. Last Round is definitely a big step up, but I still feel like I saw everything it had to offer in ~3 hours or so, at least without touching the competitive modes or completing the (completely nonsensicle) story, though I intend to.

Mortal Kombat, however...that's one of the very few series I could never get into, and I doubt I ever will. Nothing about it feels "right" to me, both in gameplay and aesthetic. I'd actually consider it my least favorite fighting game series...if the Melty Blood franchise didn't exist. **** those games. Those I can legitimately say are bad!

EDIT:

Oh, and they called it "Xrd" as in "X the Third", since they were really short-sighted with their naming conventions back in the early aughts and have spent the last 12 years or so trying to avoid naming a game "Guilty Gear XXX".

Also, BlazBlue's rediculous names actually do relate to the series' story and tie into their central themes. Of course, that just says more about how much of an impenetrably confusing mess the story is to begin with. I blame Melty Blood for inspiring the whole "VN/2D Fighting Hybrid" idea...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic