Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 4,501 to 4,520 of 16,083

Ralizah

@CanisWolfred I get the sense that nonsensical stories are kind of par for the course with most fighting game series.

I don't think GGXXX would be that big of a deal, though. If we're getting Pokemon S&M, why not that?

How do you feel about Tekken and KoF?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

CanisWolfred

@Ralizah Honestly, Xrd already has a female character who takes off her shirt as a standard, repeatable win-pose. I honestly think they were more concerned that their product might get confused with...everything else that's called "Guilty Gear XXX", including the official soundtrack for #Reload...

As for BB, it's story is covoluted even by fighting game standards. Even the anime adaption didn't seem to have any hope of unraveling it. Between the frequent map jumps (I had to browse the wiki to find out that they've been jumping between cities now), an entire encyclopedia of Jargon that keeps getting thrown at the audience without ever bothering to explain any of it, and freakin' time travel and past & future events (or possibly past events that are really in the future, I don't freakin' know anymore!), it's impossible to make sense of anything that goes on there. And much like Street Fighter and Melty Blood, it shoves a ton of it in your face, and rarely gives you a chance to breathe.

In announcement news:

Totally Not Redwall: The RTS + The Universe's Apology for Battlefield 1 = A very happy day!

Actually, Totally Not Redwall has a lot of WW1 references...all is forgiven.

Actually, it sounds a hellavu lot like what I had originally interpreted this movie to be about when I rented it as a kid...yeah...not really sure where I came up with the WW1 plot, since IIRC, that was just blatant tree-hugger propaganda that recycled An American Tale's plot, only with less likable characters and more magical deus ex machina for the writers to exploit.

So now it counts as two apologies!

Ralizah wrote:

How do you feel about Tekken and KoF?

Those are two of my favorite series, actually - Tekken being hands down my favorite 3D fighting game - I hesitate to call it "the best" because it is actually quite flawed and borrows a lot from Virtua Fighters while dumbing it down and rewarding agressive gameplay to an insane degree, but that's how I prefer my fighting games, in all honesty. I still respect VF as the master, but at least Tekken makes me feel like a bad@$$ whenever I win. I can't wait until Tekken 7 comes out.

KoF, I should mention, was the series that got me into the genre. Or at least, I consider it my trial by fire. KoF '94 kicked my butt to the curb, Super Street Fighter II trained me to fight back, if I had a montage handy I'd list the rest of the games I played in-between until I finally beat Rugal in KOF '98 and crowned myself the champion!

...only to find out that KOF '98 was a pansy compared to nearly every other fighting game boss out there (including KoF '94's Rugal). But still, it was amazing, and I still love the series. I'm alittle disappointed with the aesthetics of KoF14, but tbh, the series hasn't looked great since 2000 - '01-3 had washed out color pallettes, XI was an improvement but by then it was really showing its age; And then 12 was honestly a disaster, and 1 was only barely an improvement on the artistic front (but a huge improvement on the gameplay front). They're just never gonna get the top-tier artists they used to have, so I think it loks good enough as it is. I still haven't bought it yet, though. It came at a bad time for me. Demo was good, though.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Peek-a-boo

I love fighting games!

A shame that I was probably the only person who kept the Street Fighter V thread going earlier in the year, but I didn't think there were many fighting game fans on here.

Nice to see at least two more!

I'm with CanisWolfred on this; the likes of Mortal Kombat and those DC spin-offs (Injustice) are truly awful.

The art style is horrendous, the gameplay has a stop/start feel about it (as opposed to the animations being consistently smooth) and the general dullness of the visuals, the fighting styles and overall package just doesn't appeal to me.

It seems to be a very popular series in America, whereas you barely hear let alone see it (being played) in Europe and the Far East.

Dead or Alive 2 on the Dreamcast and Dead or Alive 3 on the original Xbox were really good fighting games in their own right, and I felt that they were the highlight of the series. Both games took the somewhat wayward template of the first game and gradually built upon the mechanics in 2 and 3 respectively.

Dead or Alive 3 was a launch game for the original Xbox and, four years later, when the Xbox was phased out for good, it still remained one of the most visually impressive games on the system.

I couldn't pinpoint why exactly I didn't enjoy Dead or Alive 4 on the Xbox 360. It didn't seem to be as fun or carefree to play as the second and third one. It was also the point where the developers - Team Ninja - made the women's melons like water balloons with absurbly unrealistic 'physics'.

My favourites in the past couple of years has been Gulity Gear Xrd (the art style alone is jawdroppingly brilliant) and Street Fighter V. The latter is now a worthwhile purchase after a rather barebones start, although I was pretty happy/content with it at the time.

Tekken and Virtua Fighter (please, come back!) are also favourites of mine. I still perceive that the highlight of the Tekken series was Tekken 3 on the PSone (it continues to be the most popular Tekken game of all time!) whereas Virtua Fighter simply got better and better as the series went on.

Virtua Fighter 5 was great, and felt like an accumulation of everything that went before into one game, and it was an outstanding game at that too. More techical than all the others, but is also the most rewarding - mashing the buttons gets you absolutely nowhere in that series!

TL;DR - Gulity Gear Xrd and Street Fighter V are, for me, the current champions of the fighting scene.

p.s. BlazBlue is quite good too however, I never felt compelled to buy those games, funny (game) titles or not.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

6ch6ris6

Peek-a-boo wrote:

Just how many companies have released not one, not two... but THREE new pieces of hardware in a space of less than two months?!

summary of the 8th generation of consoles:
three literations of Microsoft Xbox One
Xbox One
Xbox One S
Xbox One Scorpio
three literations of Sony Playstation 4 + one add-on
Playstation 4
Playstation 4 Slim
Playstation VR
Playstation 4 Pro
two different Nintendo consoles
WiiU
Switch

but almost no games to play xD (except all those glorious remakes!)

IT'S GOOD TO BE A GAMER (?)

Edited on by 6ch6ris6

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Haru17

Sony's gone crazy this fall. With two new hardware releases there's no question that they're cannibalizing their own sales.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

CanisWolfred

@Peek-a-boo Central Fiction is supposed to be the series' canonical end, if that means anything to you. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw an updated version somewhere down the line, but Arc Sys plans to work on an RPG for a while so they can give the whole Fighting game stuff a break, which no one can blame them for.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

WebHead

So I bought Titanfall...I rate the Singleplayer a B and the Multiplayer a D> Map designs are too cramped. and Titan gameplay is unbalanced imo.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Octane

If I had the money...

Octane

Dezzy

Just restarted the Witcher 3 so I can have a playthrough with both of the DLC as well as getting one of the romance endings.
Also so I can actually do Gwent properly this time around. I only actually got into Gwent near the end of my first playthrough. Kept getting discouraged by the initial learning curve. Then realised it was actually brilliant.
Is there any massive difference in the effects on the story between the main romance options? I prefer Triss but Yennefer seems to be in the story a lot more....

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Peek-a-boo

So yeah... the Pro shines really brightly, thankfully!

The Last of Us Remastered in super-sampled 1080p (down from 4K) along with a rock solid 60fps, even in the most hectic of situations is a joy to behold. The draw distance is far less 'fuzzy' or hazy, and everything feels really smooth. No jaggies or tearing to be seen either.

It's like playing a whole new game!

inFAMOUS: Second Son is glorious too; the particle effects, which were already brilliant in the first place, is now super clean with perfect clarity and eye-popping colours. The frame rate is also rock solid as well.

Untitled

Rez Infinite is rather good and Uncharted 4 is great too however, the star of the show is Ratchet & Clank:

Untitled

It is literally perfect. The image quality is pin sharp, all the edges are smooth, the colours are seemingly more vibrant and there's nary a wayward line in sight.

Titanfall 2 is also excellent:

Untitled

I am really, really happy with my new toy!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Tasuki

As much as I want one, at this point I can't justify getting it when my PS4 is working just fine. It also doesn't help that with the Switch and Scorpio coming out next year any money I would use for the Pro I can put towards those two things. Besides I dont own a 4K TV, don't see me getting one anytime soon so it wouldn't make that much of a difference. The only reason I would buy it is for a bigger HDD but I am sure I will be able to find a slim or regular PS4 with a bigger HDD on sale here for alot cheaper then a Pro at some point the next few weeks.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Haru17

Peek-a-boo wrote:

It's like playing a whole new game!

No, it's not. And there was still something missing when I played Ratchet. Do the rock and enemy textures still leave something to be desired?

Peek-a-boo

@Tasuki I think that if you are more interested in the Nintendo Switch and the Scorpio (the latter of which we know nothing about other than it being a six teraflops machine), then the PlayStation 4 Pro may not be your highest priority, which is completely fair enough!

I got one because I can, and that it only cost me a little over £100 after selling my white OG PlayStation 4 - along with an extra new and unused controller - on Gumtree for £220.

The Nintendo Switch isn't doing anything for me at this moment in time, especially seeing as I can quite happily play Breath of the Wild (and Mario Kart and Splatoon) on my Wii U.

Outside of Sunset Overdrive, Ori and the Blind Forest and Forza Horizon 3, the Xbox One doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. I have a good friend who has one that I can go round and play from time to time anyway.

@Haru17 Did you also bought a PlayStation 4 Pro yesterday too?!

The last time I played The Last of Us was on the PlayStation 3 back in the summer in 2012.

That was in 720p, running at a wildly inconsistent 30fps along with poor flickery shadows and a foggy/hazy draw distance.

To play the game in super-sampled 1080p (down from 4K), running at a rock solid 60fps and offers greater clarity of image quality right across the board, I believe I am more than entitled to say that it feels like playing a whole new game.

Ratchet & Clank already looked great to me, but it looks even better now. The motion blur is the most noticeable improvement, as it has been toned down quite drastically, which is a very good thing!

Untitled

Untitled

Cleanest IQ I have ever seen on a console.

Uncharted 4 is also an improvement in terms of IQ:

Untitled

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Ryu_Niiyama

Those are nice screens, but I swear Sony and MS both burned me this gen with the psudomid gen upgrades. Does anyone have PSVR? How is it? I can't use it but I want to experience it vicariously through someone, lol. Anybody getting Dishonored 2? I'll likely snag it for pc but was wondering about the general hype for the game.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Haru17

@Peek-a-boo No, I didn't. I see where my post mistakenly gave that impression. I was talking about launch Ratchet and Clank compared to now.

Peek-a-boo

@Ryu_Niiyama I wasn't overly impressed with the half-gap idea when rumours were first circling around earlier in the year however, now that I have one, it genuinely feels like (some of) my games have been given a very new and welcome leash of life.

I am also looking forward to playing the likes of Resident Evil VII, Persona 5, Nioh, NieR: Automata, Horizon: Zero Dawn and Gravity Rush 2 in the first few months next year in their highest quality too.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

veeflames

I think I'll just be sticking with a PS4 Slim. And maybe a PSVR. I don't feel the need to get a PS4 Pro.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Ralizah

@Peek-a-boo In fairness, TLOU rarely drops below 60 fps on a vanilla PS4, either. There are a few dips here and there, but they're never huge.

Most of the games I care about (Persona 5, Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, etc.) are very unlikely to perform better on a Pro, so there's no reason for me to get one. And, frankly, my PC does a much better job of playing Western games with high levels of performance.

PS4 Pro is still priced pretty generously, though. Nintendo really needs to make the Switch somewhat affordable if it doesn't want the new console to crash and burn like the Wii U.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Shinion

Dark Souls 3's finale is the worst. Overly aggressive and powerful enemies and some of the most ridiculous damage scaling I have seen. Making bosses OHKO or 2KHO isn't a substitute for good game design From Software, just an easy way to say your game is 'hard' and reap the rewards from people who desire such a thing. I'm not trying the Princes or King of the Storm more than a dozen times before I give up. Shame too because the game was fantastic up till the end part. Really does strengthen my desire for a difficulty setting in these games.

Venting over, carry on with your Pro talk.

Shinion

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic