Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 3,381 to 3,400 of 16,083

Octane

@CanisWolfred It's the same with HD at the start of last gen. It wasn't a big deal, but now it is; everyone has an HD TV. I don't mind the PS4 NEO, if there are people that have 4K monitors and want to play games at a higher resolution, I don't see why the option shouldn't exist. The regular PS4 will still be around, so it's not as if people are forced to upgrade. And I don't think most of the current PS4 owners will care about PS4 NEO. However if you don't own a PS4 yet? Might as well get the NEO then, unless you're on a tight budget, then the regular PS4 combined with a neat price drop is your answer.

Octane

CanisWolfred

Octane wrote:

@CanisWolfred It's the same with HD at the start of last gen. It wasn't a big deal, but now it is; everyone has an HD TV. I don't mind the PS4 NEO, if there are people that have 4K monitors and want to play games at a higher resolution, I don't see why the option shouldn't exist. The regular PS4 will still be around, so it's not as if people are forced to upgrade. And I don't think most of the current PS4 owners will care about PS4 NEO. However if you don't own a PS4 yet? Might as well get the NEO then, unless you're on a tight budget, then the regular PS4 combined with a neat price drop is your answer.

I guess my problem is more that HD TVs had more differences and way more advantages over their predecssors than just a prettier picture, since the whole HD thing coincided with 16:9, flatscreen, LCD and Plasma TVs with lighter-weight designs that allowed for easier adjusting, storage, and mounting.

When I went shopping for a new TV last year, the only way I could ever tell I was looking at a 4K TV was that it was too big for the room I was gonna put it in, and the price tags were between 2x and 5x what I could afford. I guess the picture's sharper, but I'm still consistantly being blown away by 1080p. Why does it need to be sharper than that?

:Sigh:...but you're right, it's the market that drives these things. It's not even my own sake I'm worried about here, I just don't see this actually paying off for Sony. They finally get back on top after bleeding money all over the place (well, they probably still are, actually, but not as bad), so I guess they deserve to gamble. I just wish they'd gamble more on unique and interesting games. At least those would only cost me $60 at most...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Peek-a-boo

I can pop into Currys or John Lewis and walk out with a 4K television for £400.

For those of whom are replacing, upgrading or buying a new TV nowadays, most would pluck for a 4K set at these reasonable prices. The salespersons will persuade customers towards those too.

The PlayStation 4 shall be $249/299 in Autumn whereas the 4K 'Neo' model will likely launch at the same price the PlayStation 4 was when it first came out over two and a half years ago, at $399.

I remember buying a HDTV when the Xbox 360 had been out for a shy over a year; they were going for at least a £1000 back then compared to £400/500 for a 4K television these days.

At the end of the day, both models can play the very same games. It's your choice which one you want!

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@CanisWolfred Well at least we're getting to a point where it all looks the same in terms of picture quality. TVs still get bigger, so higher resolutions make sense, but they're reaching their limits soon enough as well.

Apart from Uncharted 4, which was given that it was going to be a success, they've done some pretty unique and risky games actually. Stuff like Gravity Rush (2), Tearaway, the upcoming The Last Guardian, Dreams or even Ratchet & Clank. I still wonder how they're going to sell Dreams though. But yeah, from a first party perspective, it's been all over the place in terms of games. I'm not complaining! The variety is pretty amazing.

Octane

-Green-

I just hope they mention more about the Last Guardian at E3. I can't wait.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

CanisWolfred

Octane wrote:

@CanisWolfred Well at least we're getting to a point where it all looks the same in terms of picture quality. TVs still get bigger, so higher resolutions make sense, but they're reaching their limits soon enough as well.

Apart from Uncharted 4, which was given that it was going to be a success, they've done some pretty unique and risky games actually. Stuff like Gravity Rush (2), Tearaway, the upcoming The Last Guardian, Dreams or even Ratchet & Clank. I still wonder how they're going to sell Dreams though. But yeah, from a first party perspective, it's been all over the place in terms of games. I'm not complaining! The variety is pretty amazing.

Well, yeah, I guess that true. I mean, many of those are good (or even among the best games this decade), it's just that...a lot of them were on the Vita already. And in fact, Tearaway and Gravity Rush seemed to utilize the Vita's features more than I would've expected. I still have no idea what "Dreams" is. I don't think they do, either. "Selling Dreams" is a term that I would think would be synonymous with "selling bridges," so I can't help but be wary, but you're right, it is definitely a big risk.

In fact, the more I think about it, they have been putting out and announcing a lot of different games that at least aren't yet-another-sequel like inFamous or Uncharted 4...it's just that hardly any of them interest me in the slightest outside of the ones you've mentioned, and a few crowdfunded games that Sony picked up the slack for (none of which I've heard anything about in a while)...sigh...but, obviously just because it doesn't interest me personally doesn't detract from the fact that it is something different. That's technically all I asked for, even if the result still seems thoroughly bland and processed...now I know how the daycare counselours ("♪ ...and I'm proud to be an American...♫") felt when they'd invite me into the public pool, making plenty of room for the obvious cannonball that's sure to come, only for me to casually dip my toe in...then make sure I got all the grass washed off, before slowly sliding into the water as quietly as an otter...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

WebHead

@SteveRod1992 if upgrading to Zen CPU like rumored then it'll probably be $500 and launch in March.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

bitleman

@Peek-a-boo Well yeah Naughty Dog lied about the graphics and the textures. I don't see how the fact they were open about the framerate or the colour palete have anything to do with that. You don't need to overreact like that you know.

bitleman

Ralizah

@-Red- It's unthinkable that they wouldn't give a release date for TLG at some point at E3 unless it's delayed.

I'm not sure if we'll hear about it, but I'm extremely curious about the state of Gravity Rush 2.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Peach64

Most TVs coming out now are 4K anyway. It's not this extra expensive thing anymore. It's just one of those things, don't get a new TV specifically for it, but it's nice that when you do go for a new TV, it's going to be a nice boost in resolution.

I think the same idea is behind the Neo. Sure, they'll hope some die hards will upgrade, but they're not expecting 40 million people to do that. The main target will be the people that didn't buy a PS4 yet.

Peach64

Megapokepaul

I didn't know where to post this , so here goes nothing:
Crash bandicoot game will be announced at E3 and a collaboration with the new skylanders will be made ( crash skylander )
Sorry if this information was known but I got sent some infos and figured I'd share it with you guys.

MASSIVE SPLATOON PLAYER , LOVE POKEMON, FIRE EMBLEM AND BAYONETTA SERIES .
ADD ME ON WII U : MEGAPOKEPAUL

3DS Friend Code: 4871-4094-0555 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaPokepaul

Peek-a-boo

EA conference begins later this evening (BST) and Bethesda begins in 17 hours time when I am asleep!

I am hoping to see the sequel to Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Evil Within, along with inevitable news of a Skyrim remaster (bleh; the combat is so, so poor in these games) and seeing more of Dishonoured 2 and hopefully a New Vegas-style Fallout game (wishful dream!).

EA and their usual yearly sport franchises asides, we shall likely see more of Titanfall, Mass Effect and Battlefield. I would like to see their cinematic Star Wars game, but that is supposedly quite a way off.

Be nice to see a new IP from both companies too.

Peek-a-boo

Peach64

I'm surprisingly excited for the EA one. Will be interesting to see FIFA in the new engine. Really hope Titanfall has a single player campaign this time. I'd actually like to see them call it something other than Titanfall 2. For so many people it's going to be their first experience of the franchise. I'm not expecting a big Star Wars game to come out this year, but there still might be news or even a trailer.

Peach64

Ralizah

EA conference was about as bad as I expected, although I'm surprised there was almost nothing about the new Mass Effect.

Oh well.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

-Green-

45 mins until Bethesda.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

CanisWolfred

Yeah, now that Titanfall 2 has a singleplayer campaign, and is coming to a console I already own, I am excited for. Hell, I was excited for the first one, which I was gonna get on PC, but Origin kinda screwed that up for me...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Peek-a-boo

Releasing Titanfall 2 on the 21st of October then Battlefield 1 one week later on the 28th is absolutely ridiculous, even if they are, tonally, two different games.

You have got the new Call of Duty coming out one week later in November too. I can already see the predictable 'has not met our target' quotes from EA sometime after Christmas.

I'd choose Battlefield 1, if only because I am fed-up of seeing futuristic warfare style games.

:EDIT: The Bethesda conference was better than EA however, there were no real surprises and I was half-wondering where the sequel to both Wolfenstein and The Evil Within have gotten to.

Skyrim remastered does nothing for me, and Dishonoured was my most overrated game of last generation. I really liked the (Half Life) art style and world building, but the gameplay mechanics were very hit and miss for me.

So far, so ho-hum.

On another separate note, the upcoming Telltale Batman series and the third season to The Walking Dead looks GREAT! They are finally using a brand new non-wonky engine with all their games going forward too, hooray!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Looks like there's a lot of rumblings about Resident Evil 7 being a console exclusive to the PlayStation 4.

A Dead Rising remake/reimagining for Xbox One, and Resident Evil 7 for PlayStation 4.

Seems like they may well have both got a zombie exclusive game each, from Capcom!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

CanisWolfred

Peek-a-boo wrote:

I'd choose Battlefield 1, if only because I am fed-up of seeing futuristic warfare style games.

Meanwhile, I'm still sick of the same-y modern shooter crap I had to put up with for 5+ years. Even Killzone, despite being Sci-fi, never actually felt sci-fi. I missed my space marines...I also missed having visually and functionally distinct characters and weaponry, but one step at a time. Unless you're Blizzard or id Software, in which case, slow down, you already lapped the rest of 'em...

And I feel like I should be glad someone had the balls to make another World War 1 shooter (I think there was one back in 2006 or so, but I'm not sure), and I can't think of any other franchise that could more readily replicate the insanity and hopelessness that horrible conflict created...but I can't see myself actually enjoying that in any concievable way. Mostly because I'm familiar enough with the psychological aspect of the conflict, but also because most of it took place in trenches, with the occasional suicide run through landmine-infested No Man's Land. Even when tanks were invented, I don't think it was a very mobile war...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic