Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 3,401 to 3,420 of 16,083

Peek-a-boo

@CanisWolfred The last World War II games were Call of Duty II and World at War back in 2005 and 2006 respectively, over ten years ago!

The market in the past ten years has been drowned with modern day, near future and futuristic warfare games, hence the reason why I am so pleased to see the return of old fashioned World War mechanics instead of the absurbly fast paced shooters nowadays.

It's nice to take it slow sometimes.

In any case, there shall be three different FPS for us all to choose from, and in a space of two weeks too, come October time! I only have time to play one these days though.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

IceClimbers

According to Nerd Leaks, a certain big game will be a no-show at Microsoft's conference.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

CanisWolfred

Peek-a-boo wrote:

@CanisWolfred The last World War II games were Call of Duty II and World at War back in 2005 and 2006 respectively, over ten years ago!

The market in the past ten years has been drowned with modern day, near future and futuristic warfare games, hence the reason why I am so pleased to see the return of old fashioned World War mechanics instead of the absurbly fast paced shooters nowadays.

It's nice to take it slow sometimes.

In any case, there shall be three different FPS for us all to choose from, and in a space of two weeks too, come October time! I only have time to play one these days though.

Well...World War II was a different war. There aren't a lot of FPS games that have even tried, at least without being alternate history horror stuff, like NecroVision. We've apparently gotten/getting a bunch since last year, but before then basically all we had was Darkest of Days, and you can see how that went.

'Course, that still makes it a change of pace, especially for Battlefield. The fact that is was such a drastically different war especially demands a change in gameplay style. I haven't seen the trailers yet to see if it's not just a coat of paint, but since there are other games to be inspired by now (Verdun, The Trench 1916), albeit lower profile indie games (and graphically The Trench looks awful. Like, Two Worlds awful :X ), it'd be a complete waste if they didn't try to keep the actual history in mind.

But yeah, since both Titanfall 2 and the new Call of Duty game both have my attention (Assuming they don't screw up the space combat. I need someone to fill that gaping void Battlefront left...), I might actually have some nice FPS choices this Christmas. Been a long while since I could say that...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Peek-a-boo

I have decided to (try and) stay up now, as Twitter is alight with comments regarding Sony and their event being 'ten times better' than the other three conferences gone before them.

It'll be worth it it is a nostalgic trip just like last years unforgettable show.

Time to make some strong coffee!

Any other Europeans on here watching the late night show?

:EDIT: This time last year, the conference went a little bit like this:

• The Last Guardian
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn
  • Hitman
  • Street Fighter V
  • No Man's Sky
  • Dreams
  • Firewatch
  • Destiny: The Taken King
  • Assassin's Creed Syndicate
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Devolver Digital showcase
  • Shenmue III
  • Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Morpheus VR reveal
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
  • Disney Infinity
  • Star Wars Battlefront
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

It is going to be an extremely big ask to match - let alone beat - that kind of line-up...

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Shinion

I've made it to this hour, I can last another one and I think I'll be OK once the thing starts (God help me if they do back-to-back Activision trailers for CoD and Destiny lol) and I'm still reasonably excited. I'm neither here nor there when it comes to the hype circus of this E3 being "10 times better" than the other ones or the Year of Dreams 2.0 as dubbed by some very enthusiastic Neogaf and Reddit users. People like to be good consumers and eat up all the hype but I'm not into that anymore. Give the spotlight to some Japanese games and I'll be happy.

Shinion

Shinion

Eh so that was eh. God of War, Days Gone and Detroit do nothing for me, Insomniac Spiderman could be great but apart from that it was a bunch of stuff we'd already seen. Still can't wait for Horizon and The Last Guardian. But that Crash moment tho. Crowd were hyped to heaven and then Layden just lays (lol) it out 'Remasters and Skylanders figure! Forget Crash ever existed!" ouch, a FFVII Remake CGI/Shenmue 3 Kickstarter moment that was not. Then COD and the admittedly few 3rd party games did nothing for me, most of it was tied into VR and my God that looks like an absolute waste of money. Can't say it any other way VR is nothing to me.

But the standout game for me was undoubtedly Resident Evil 7. It was kinda leaked in advance that it would be survival horroresque but I was not watching that trailer expecting the Resident Evil logo at the end. I'm very optimistic that is a good thing, as what I was expecting Resi 7 to be was very unappealing and uninteresting. I wanna try out the demo but won't be able to for a couple of weeks, though I'm still very excited for it. Oh and January is earlier than I'd have thought, though a delay is a,ways possible.

Walking out to a live orchestra/10. That's my verdict.

Shinion

-Green-

Sony was awesome. No doubt. The VR part kind of dragged it down for me, but it was awesome. They won E3 this year that's for sure.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Shinion

@-Red- Is that still a thing? 'Winning E3?'
Eh it's 3:36 here I'm off to bed can't really muster up the enthusiasm to hear how these staged hype shows are comparable to a sports game lol. Though whatever floats your boat I guess, I got tired of putting these shows on a pedestal against each other once I realised that a vast majority of what they show is dishonest at best. You do you

Shinion

-Green-

@TheLastLugia Yes, it's a thing when comparing the companies to each other,

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Shinion

@-Red- That is absolutely a fair and great thing to do, I do it all the time personally. Though I prefer to wait until the game is released, in my hands or even completed by myself to judge, compare and critique. But maybe that's just me! I know people love to consume the E3 experience whilst its fresh, I just don't wanna go overboard with these trailers you know? Gearbox were praised for years based off of one trailer they showed for Aliens Colonial Marines and we all know what happened there.

But seriously I'm off now, got a plane to catch in several hours, need some sleep desperately.

Hope these game are actually good!

Shinion

Ralizah

Really great conference, despite the Crash trolling. New God of War looks interesting: a bit too Naughty Dog-ish, perhaps, but the Kratos stand-in seems more interesting and even slightly relatable!

I'm sold on Horizon: Zero Dawn. The combat in that demo was amazing.

Detroit and The Last Guardian both look majorly impressive, and I'm really looking forward to them.

Days Gone looks like TLOU: Biker Edition. No interest, thank you very much.

The new Call of Duty actually looks interesting. I'll keep my eye on it.

I don't really care about Spiderman, but if it's good, I might check it out.

The VR stuff seemed kind of interesting. I'm really curious about that Batman VR thing. Not so sure about the FF XV 'sitting in a car' simulator, though.

The stand-out for me, though, was Resident Evil 7. What a compelling and creepy trailer! The change in style is extreme, to say the least (looks like someone at Capcom has been playing P.T.), but I'm glad Capcom wants to make these games scary again.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Ralizah

Not sure why this wasn't shown off at the conference, but GR2 just got an awesome new trailer.

Game looks incredible. The developers are clearly taking advantage of the significantly increased horsepower of the PS4.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

RR529

Yeah, the Sony conference was pretty cool. Hard for me to say which I liked better, though.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Peach64

Loves the PS4 conference but it definitely peaked at the start with God of War. Looks like a true reinvention of a gear series that has recently grown stale. Horizon wasn't new but looked great. I'm sure RE VR will be amazing, but there's no way I'm playing that! Regular horror games like Condemned are bad enough! Oh, and while I wanted Suckerpunch to do the Spider-Man game, Insomniac are a great dev so have a lot of hope for that one.

Edited on by Peach64

Peach64

Peek-a-boo

That coffee didn't help after all. Fell asleep almost instantly and woke up at eight o'clock, ha ha!

Sounds like it was a good show.

The Last Guardian coming out on the 25th of October though... sandwiched in between Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 makes me feel a bit worried.

Resident Evil 7 is kind of exclusive with the PSVR; looks like a genuine departure from the past three action-based games to a survival horror.

Crash Bandicoot moment was a little bit underwhelming, but I guess they are testing the waters before doing a Ratchet & Clank style new game.

God of War looks incredible!

And Spider-Man looks like it is going to be a web-slinging hit!

Glad they didn't talk about the PlayStation 'Neo'; it is all about the games, for me.

No price cuts for any of their three formats either! Sony must still be feeling pretty confident then.

Anything else I missed?

Peek-a-boo

Octane

The Last Guardian and Horizon still look awesome; not too sure on all the new stuff, but I have to watch the trailers a few more times to get familar with all of it. Days Gone looked awesome; although I'm not sure how I feel about the hyper-active zombies, I like the passive clickers in TLOU a lot more, haha! And after seeing that Death Stranded trailer, I'm really curious what the game is about. Solid conference overall. Not as good as last year's, but that was difficult to beat anyway.

@Ralizah Gravity Rush and marketing don't seem to get along. No wonder the first game kinda bombed. At least we're getting this game.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

God of War got the shake up the series needed; Kratos is no longer 'RAAAGGEEE!' all the time, the combat takes some inspiration from the Souls series and is more of a pure combat game. The incredible animations during the mini-boss was a joy to see too.

I am sure we will see the bombastic bosses at some point, given that it's the Norse mythology!

It's great this new God of War and Uncharted 4 shook their games up a little bit rather than sticking the same old methodlogy over and over again. The new Gears of War had the opportunity to do so too, yet they decided to stick to the same old, same old template.

Pleased to see God of War in a new light. Also, it is nice to see some proper gameplay, and for ten uninterrupted minutes too, not a CGI trailer or a Let's Play-esque segment.

Untitled

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Spider-Man is going to be AMAZING!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Shinion

That's the main thing I was disappointed about with this conference, the fact that Sony didn't give any time (relatively speaking) to any so-called 'niche' games or games that won't sell or lend themselves well to marketing. I know this is a war and all and anything niche would be like conceding the Great Battle of E3 but Ni No Kuni 2, Persona 5, Gravity Rush 2 and a good few other already confirmed games coming to PS4 will in all probability be better than the vast majority of the games they showcased, but because they've got 0 chance of being the next big thing Sony aren't interested at all. Heck even Crash Bandicoot of all characters isn't worth the effort for them even in their lofty position, that puts things into perspective.

They as a company or at least their policy has been described quite aptly I feel by one person to be similar to the behavoir of a crow, where they will chase after the next shiny new thing before inevitably moving onto something else just because this new thing is shinier.

Overall they showed several games I'm really looking forward to and that with the few they didn't showcase means I still have lots to look forward to. The conference itself was paced rather well, a touching tribute at the beginning and a focus on games, with a good amount of them getting gameplay trailers. I'm more positive towards it overall now but it still was disappointing to not have a "wow" moment for me.

I guess Sony 'won E3' for me...

Nah I'm not going that far lol.

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

RR529

Overall I'd say I liked Sony's conference a bit more, because they showed more games I could see myself playing (God of War, Horizon, the Last Guardian, Spider-Man, and the Crash remakes), but there wasn't anything at any of these events that was really giddy for (Okay, the Chocobo riding scene in Sony's trailer for FFXV perked me up, I'll admit).

I don't know, maybe the kinds of games I really like, aren't really the kinds that get showcased "front of the line" in events like this anymore. For example, over the past year I completed & enjoyed Zone of the Enders HD Collection, Metal Gear Rising, Lost Planet: Extreme Condition, Dragon Quest V, Shantae & the Pirate's Curse, & Tales of Vesperia.

I know some of those games are quite old, but what I'm trying to say is, if those games were new & upcoming, in today's E3 environment, I could only see Lost Planet & MGR getting time at a conference.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic