Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 3,361 to 3,380 of 16,084

Ralizah

@TheLastLugia Try actually pointing the gun at bad guys as opposed to strafing until they enter your general line of fire and you should be fine.

@Peek-a-boo I have no doubt the game will look this good if they prioritize graphical fidelity, I just worry about the gameplay being neglected as a result. I want an open, engaging action game, not Uncharted: Robot Dinosaurs edition.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Shinion

@Ralizah I'm not usually one to say that game reviewers/journalists/critics need to be good at games in order to critique them, even for major game sites. I mean, I'm terrible at Mega Man but I still have fun playing those games and can recognise their quality. But the person playing the game in that video clearly has never played an FPS in their lives or even picked up a controller before, and Polygon should (and probably did) feel a bit embarrassed for that video. Didn't stop me having fun laughing and watching it though, as well as the people who were genuinely offended by it.

It's all dowloaded now so I'm ready to go. But if I was to criticise one thing straight away it would be the cover, because my God is it awful. Good that an acceptable one is on the reverse, and I'm not even a Doom fan lol but I could do better than THAT.

Shinion

Ralizah

@TheLastLugia They don't need to be good at the games they're showcasing, but they should at least be half-way proficient enough to show off what the game will play like for the average gamer. I'm terrible at shooters, and even I was cringing while watching the video.

Grumblevolcano

Sony just trolled everyone, Crash is back but in the form of Skylanders.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Sony just trolled everyone, Crash is back but in the form of Skylanders.

Source?

Ralizah

@Grumblevolcano Thanks. Still a rumor, but given the Crash Bandicoot PS4 listing rumors as well, I'm guessing they're gearing up for a full-on revival of the character, starting with announcing his new game at E3.

I'd be shocked if they didn't. Sony has been teasing the Bandicoot almost as constantly as Nintendo was teasing Majora's Mask 3D a couple of years ago.

Peek-a-boo

@Octane You just reminded me that I backed Hyper Light Drifter, ha ha!

I have that to look forward to, along with Knights and Bikes (from the original creator of LittleBigPlanet) Shenmue III (I still cannot believe this is happening...), Yooka & Laylee and the new Castlevania game, which I have suddenly forgotten the name of.

Oh man. There's way too many games coming out, and not enough hours in a day to play them.

@Ralizah I believe there was some realtime gameplay footage of Horizon: Zero Dawn (a guy was playing this on stage) at last years E3, and it really doesn't resemble anything like Uncharted with robot-dinosaurs.

Here's the direct link to said video: - http://www.gamersyde.com/news_horizon_zero_dawn_hq_e3_demo-17...

@Grumblevolcano I reckon Crash Bandicoot will appear in multiple games at E3. Obviously the original platform-esque game on the PSone is the one we are all eager to see... if it indeed happening, that is!

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

@Peek-a-boo Yeah, if the entire game expands off what they showed in that gameplay footage, I'd be very satisfied. Sony is really starting to kill it with their exclusives.

Shinion

There's a meltdown happening right now on Neogaf by several people as a result of this Crash rumour. This is why consuming hype is bad really, there were plenty of reasons why there hasn't been a Crash game already on PS4 (Sony not owning the IP and Activision of all companies owning it, Naughty Dog having moved on from 'kiddie' games and Sony not having any suitable replacement devs for a game like Crash) yet it seems easily manipulated people have allowed the hype to take over them, they expected an amazing Crash game to be shown, now this rumour which shouldn't really be shocking to anyone who knows how Activision milk things for all their worth with shameless abandon has been a kick in the teeth to people.

Keep your expectations in check people PLEASE lest we get death threats (because they're now considered OK somehow) and needless hate clouding over everything. I'd advise this for all conferences naturally, but I'm forbidden for talking about that company that begins with an 'N', at least unless I want my stalker to return.

So yeah that company, keep your expectations in check for them as well as all of them. The world isn't over just because a game wasn't announced at E3. Remember that and you're better than the people who have meltdowns because of video games.

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

bitleman

Peek-a-boo wrote:

@Ralizah I thought the very same thing about Uncharted 4, in that the PlayStation 4 could never possibly reach those kind of visuals shown in their trailers over the few years.

Guess what? They did!

But they didn't

Also it's normal people are sceptic about that Horizon trailer. One of the most famous example of downgrade between a trailer and actual game is Killzone 2, another game from Guerilla Games.

bitleman

Shinion

@bitleman at this point graphical downgrades are to be expected really or more precisely misrepresentations of the final products, and I can't feel like Sony should be singled out for this especially when you compare them to the multitude of ways Ubisoft try to make their games seem way more appealing, involved and exciting than they turn out to be, a minor graphical downgrade is tame in comparison.

But I'd also advise against posting things like that here so often and so readily, I've learned it doesn't end well to look back on Sony's past to criticise them now, some people really dislike it if you do that. I'd save the criticism for when the game comes out, at least then it stops being speculation.

Though yeah I think your point should be well noted. Sony aren't above showing games off better than they turn out to be, most companies aren't. Though they're also capable of producing really great looking games (Uncharted 4 was really great still) and I'm still going to remain optimistic for Horizon.

Shinion

Peek-a-boo

@bitleman Naughty Dog originally targeted 60fps for Uncharted 4 however, a couple of months down the line, they openly said that they wanted to focus on delivering the very best visual impact at 30fps (and in 1080p too).

The video that you linked (on the page prior to this one) looks similar to each other except from the colour grading and the lighting; again, Naughty Dog were open about why they changed the colour palette that once looked bright and warm (in the old build) to a more natural and less cartoony tone.

In any case, if you're not impressed by the finished article, then you are an extremely difficult person to please! Uncharted 4 is the current visual benchmark for console(s).

These are just some of the few in-game photos I took of the game, along with a couple of gifs too: - https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/other_gaming/the_playstati...

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

May NPD makes for interesting reading for a number of reasons:

• The Nintendo 3DS passed the 60 million milestone (worldwide) by the end of May.
  • Uncharted 4 almost sold a million copies (bundles + digital copies are not included to the overall total)
  • PlayStation 4 dominated in software sales, even for Minecraft!
  • A shy over a 100,000 units gap between the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One this month, which is terrible for the latter as it is now $50 cheaper and chucks five first party games into the mix (Rare Replay, Gears of War Ultimate Edition, Forza Motorsport 6, Halo 5: Guardians and Rise of the Tomb Raider) along with a $50 Microsoft store gift card, which is usually a sign of, 'desperate times, desperate measures'.

Most interestingly, the PlayStation 3 was only 1,000 units off the Xbox 360! That hasn't happened for a very, very long time in a country in which the American console has consistently dominated.

Top 10 software chart below:

01. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (PS4)
02. Doom (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
03. Overwatch (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
04. Battleborn (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
05. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
06. Minecraft (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
07. NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
08. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
09. MLB 16: The Show (PS4, PS3)
10. Dark Souls III (PS4, Xbox One)

And just for a laugh, here's Microsoft and their informative monthly PR:

"In May 2016, gaming hours on Xbox One more than doubled compared to last year, driven by the launches of Overwatch and Doom as well as the addition of Call of Duty: Black Ops to the catalog of Xbox 360 titles playable on Xbox One"

I thoroughly hope we see the trio of DOOM, Overwatch and Uncharted 4 somewhere in the top 10 again in June!

:EDIT: Apparently, and this hasn't been officially confirmed, the Xbox One sold 180,000 units WORLDWIDE in May, when the PlayStation 4 sold nearly 210,000 units in May in the US alone.

Here in the UK, you can buy an Xbox One with four or five first party games (similar to the ones noted above), an extra controller, a three months Xbox Live card and a £25 Microsoft store gift voucher for less than £300.

I really don't know what Microsoft can do from here on out.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Buizel

Peek-a-boo wrote:

May NPD makes for interesting reading for a number of reasons:

• The Nintendo 3DS passed the 60 million milestone (worldwide) by the end of May.
  • Uncharted 4 almost sold a million copies (bundles + digital copies are not included to the overall total)
  • PlayStation 4 dominated in software sales, even for Minecraft!
  • A shy over a 100,000 units gap between the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One this month, which is terrible for the latter as it is now $50 cheaper and chucks five first party games into the mix (Rare Replay, Gears of War Ultimate Edition, Forza Motorsport 6, Halo 5: Guardians and Rise of the Tomb Raider) along with a $50 Microsoft store gift card, which is usually a sign of, 'desperate times, desperate measures'.

Most interestingly, the PlayStation 3 was only 1,000 units off the Xbox 360! That hasn't happened for a very, very long time in a country in which the American console has consistently dominated.

Top 10 software chart below:

01. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (PS4)
02. Doom (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
03. Overwatch (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
04. Battleborn (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
05. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
06. Minecraft (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
07. NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
08. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
09. MLB 16: The Show (PS4, PS3)
10. Dark Souls III (PS4, Xbox One)

And just for a laugh, here's Microsoft and their informative monthly PR:

"In May 2016, gaming hours on Xbox One more than doubled compared to last year, driven by the launches of Overwatch and Doom as well as the addition of Call of Duty: Black Ops to the catalog of Xbox 360 titles playable on Xbox One"

I thoroughly hope we see the trio of DOOM, Overwatch and Uncharted 4 somewhere in the top 10 again in June!

:EDIT: Apparently, and this hasn't been officially confirmed, the Xbox One sold 180,000 units WORLDWIDE in May, when the PlayStation 4 sold nearly 210,000 units in May in the US alone.

Here in the UK, you can buy an Xbox One with four or five first party games (similar to the ones noted above), an extra controller, a three months Xbox Live card and a £25 Microsoft store gift voucher for less than £300.

I really don't know what Microsoft can do from here on out.

From my point of view they need more appealing exclusives, pure and simple. I've often been tempted by the XBone bundles (I'm also in the UK), but I know I'll get through those games and not have anything else to look forward to in the future, that won't be better played on my PS4.

At least 2'8".

Peek-a-boo

@Buizel For me, Ori and the Blind Forest and Sunset Overdrive are literally the only two games I always wanted to play.

I was house watching my friends place whilst he was away on holiday for a month back in early April, and I watched the credits roll with those two games along with the rather disappointing Quantum Break (which I was looking forward to back then).

Apart from ReCore and Sea of Thieves along with a couple of indie games like Cuphead, Below and Inside, I just don't have any further interest in the Xbox One.

My love for Halo gradually faded away when Bungie drifted away from the series, and both the Forza Motorsport and Gears of War games holds nary any interest for me.

Almost every single year, there seems to be some form of the usual trio of Forza, Gears and Halo, which is becoming dull and pedestrian. The declining sales in those three series reflects this all too well.

I am sure I will ooh and aah over the slim Xbox One in a couple of days time though...

Peek-a-boo

Peach64

Sony have officially acknowledged the Neo and said it won't be at E3. I was pretty confident all along that it wouldn't, as you're killing the sales of the machine you have on sale by doing that. Pretty surprised they've even confirmed it's coming.

Peach64

bitleman

Peek-a-boo wrote:

@bitleman Naughty Dog originally targeted 60fps for Uncharted 4 however, a couple of months down the line, they openly said that they wanted to focus on delivering the very best visual impact at 30fps (and in 1080p too).

The video that you linked (on the page prior to this one) looks similar to each other except from the colour grading and the lighting; again, Naughty Dog were open about why they changed the colour palette that once looked bright and warm (in the old build) to a more natural and less cartoony tone.

Not really. If you look at the people in the background, a lot of textures and shadows disappear. I didn't say the game was ugly, just Naughty Dog lied.

bitleman

Peek-a-boo

@bitleman Well, the next time I replay Uncharted 4, I shall gasp in morbid horror when some of the textures and shadows suddenly disappears.

Naughty Dog were very open about the whole 60/30fps subject along with the colour palette and lighting changes (in various interviews), but okay... I guess they were lying all along!

@Peach64 Sony revealed the slim and super-slim PlayStation 3 at Gamescom; it would make sense to talk about the 'Neo' there and then, if the console is supposedly coming out in Autumn.

I am glad it is not at E3. Let them talk about their upcoming games instead.

Peek-a-boo

CanisWolfred

I'm still confused as to why 4K TVs are such a big deal. Do they really need to put out a dedicated iteration just to support it? I mean, yeah, Microsoft's answer is half-@$$ed Sega 32X-style, but at least it won't cost them as much if it doesn't take off. 'Course, the smart thing would be to just hold out until demand for your current platform dries up, and utilize the time in-between to come up with a more substantial product, rather than just changing a few things here and there.

I'm mostly talking about consoles, here, mind, but I am growing sick of the whole tech world, too. It feels like a lot of them no longer care if their products serve any purpose, since they can just create demand where there is none if they yell loud enough. I guess that's just salesmenship for yeah, though. Well, I'll probably just ignore it and let it run its course. It's just entertainment, after all.

So long as they don't stop producing regular PS4 games less than 2 years after the Neo's out, or cutting out important content just to make the Neo versions seem like a greater value, I won't even have to worry. And even if they do, I'll probably just save up for a better graphics card instead.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic