Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 3,321 to 3,340 of 16,083

Ralizah

@Peek-a-boo I usually watch E3 for the Nintendo conference, but Sony detonated a nuke last year for most of its older fans. It was kind of a cheat (Shenmue is a Kickstarter project and FF7 isn't exclusive to PS4, from what I've heard), but it was still really brilliantly designed. Sony gets the hype game. It also gets that there is more to marketing your console than pushing out bland AAA bestsellers and multiplat games.

Sony, amazingly, has won back a TON of the fan support it lost last gen, even as Nintendo burns bridges left and right.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Grumblevolcano

@Ralizah A key thing that usually gets overlooked regarding the PS4's success is treatment of their PS3 fanbase after everything went wrong with the console reveal. Sure, it was a bumpy ride with incidents like the Christmas hackers and the big hack of 2011 but even then the right thing was done (compensation) and there were still quality games being released near the end of its lifecycle.

Microsoft is pretty much doing the same now as Sony did in the PS3 era, making the fans satisfied despite the terrible 2013 reveal.

Now Nintendo is doing quite the opposite, instead of keeping Wii U owners satisfied they're instead pissing them off with an approach of "Screw you but make sure you buy NX".

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Ralizah A key thing that usually gets overlooked regarding the PS4's success is treatment of their PS3 fanbase after everything went wrong with the console reveal. Sure, it was a bumpy ride with incidents like the Christmas hackers and the big hack of 2011 but even then the right thing was done (compensation) and there were still quality games being released near the end of its lifecycle.

Microsoft is pretty much doing the same now as Sony did in the PS3 era, making the fans satisfied despite the terrible 2013 reveal.

Now Nintendo is doing quite the opposite, instead of keeping Wii U owners satisfied they're instead pissing them off with an approach of "Screw you but make sure you buy NX".

That is true, although I think they're also doing a good job of trying to draw in people who kept their distance from them last gen. But you're right, they built up a lot of cred with gamers in the last few years of the PS3's life.

As for Xbox, I don't know: they've generally done a good job of recovering from their car crash of a reveal, but I wouldn't compare the way they operate now to how successful Sony was at the end of last gen in terms of instilling good will in its audience. There's a lot of decisions and announcements lately, like big Xbone "exclusives" also coming to Win 10, that seem to be angering their base. Although their last E3 did a pretty good job of placating their fanbase.

Yeah, I don't understand Nintendo at all sometimes. So many of their decisions seem to make so little sense, and they're actively angering a lot of their base with almost every decision they make lately. I wonder if the NX is going to bomb? Can you really just transition from all of this anger and disappointment to success by pretending Wii U owners don't exist and releasing a new system? I guess a lot of it will depend on what exactly the NX is, how much support it gets, and if there is any kind of benefits program for Wii U owners.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

WebHead

@Ralizah tbh I feel like when iwata died all of Nintendo's motivation and enthusiasm went with him to the grave. They've reverted back to their old antisocial recluse self and have retreated into hiding.

But alas this is a PlayStation thread. So beat the doom single player today. Not gonna lie probably my favorite fps now.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Tasuki

So I decided to try out Reinhardt on Overwatch last night and what a fun time I had playing a tank. I tried playing tank characters in other games like World of Warcraft, and Heroes of the Storm but they just didn't click with me, but with Reinhardt it was alot of fun. I don't know if it's because how user friendly he is or what.

Out of the 5 games I played him we won all of them but we also had an awesome Mercy!

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Shinion

So I bought into the hype now that my exams are over and bought Uncharted 4. Just played through most of the first couple of hours and I had to drop the game right when it seemed to pick up some sort of pace, partly because it's late and I'm tired but largely because I just had enough. I breezed through the first 3 games in a month earlier this year and I'm still optimistic about this, but that beginning was a massive letdown. Can't believe they chose to focus on the platforming for 95% of the start, it has barley improved since the first game, and the hookshot is just a token feature that (apart from its uses in combat which I'm looking forward to) I'm already thinking has exhausted its novelty.

Never thought I'd be pinning for the gunplay in an Uncharted game so much as I am but when you mess up the opening as much as this game has so far crazy things like that happen. I'll be off to Scotland tomorrow then apparently, it's safe to say I'm going to abandon all pretences that this game is perfect like a significant number of Uncharted fans think, it's a long way back for me once a game blows its first impression.

Though I really liked both 2 & 3 and out of all 4 now only 3 in my opinion had a gripping opening. So I'm still optimistic

Shinion

Buizel

Not played Uncharted 4 yet (finished the first three), but is the gunplay really that unpopular? I find it to be the best part of the gameplay.

I don't remember any of them starting gun-heavy though... 1 was more exploration, 2 stealth, and 3 brawling and running.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Shinion

@Buizel when you've played cover based shooters like Gears of War or The Division (sans bullet sponge enemies) the combat in Uncharted feels simplistic by comparison. Even the recent Tomb Raider games have a bit more 'oomph' if you know what I mean. Obviously having played the first 3 I do enjoy the combat, but yeah I'm about to play it again now but I still can't get over that start. Zelda tier status of 'boring tutorial' that's for sure.

Shinion

Buizel

TheLastLugia wrote:

@Buizel when you've played cover based shooters like Gears of War or The Division (sans bullet sponge enemies) the combat in Uncharted feels simplistic by comparison. Even the recent Tomb Raider games have a bit more 'oomph' if you know what I mean. Obviously having played the first 3 I do enjoy the combat, but yeah I'm about to play it again now but I still can't get over that start. Zelda tier status of 'boring tutorial' that's for sure.

I've not much experience with cover shooters so can't possibly compare, but I find it's the context that makes the shooting in Uncharted thrilling, rather than the core mechanics.

Man, I need to pick up this game...

At least 2'8".

Peek-a-boo

Even I thought the beginning was somewhat slow going, but from Scotland and beyond, especially chapter ten and eleven, the bombastic style of gameplay rears its long overdue head again.

The open world-ish gameplay (or 'wide linear' as Naughty Dog says) in chapter ten and twelve is great too.

The combat is the best in the series however, the rope swinging and traversal mechanics don't come into play until chapter ten. Bit of a combat 'drip feed' in some respects.

Again, the first couple of chapters are more of a 'run and gun' style compared to the replayable ways of the combat later in the game. There's a surprising amount of variety in the way you are able to get through some of the later areas!

Finished the game on crushing difficulty the other day - chapter 14 and 21 were rather tricky.

Just got to play some multiplayer for my second Uncharted platinum trophy!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Oh dear. I seem to have gone a bit mad with the new (UK) PlayStation sales:

FEZ - £2.39
Tearaway Unfolded - £7.99
Volume - £3.69 (from the creator of the excellent 'Thomas Was Alone')

Along with two new releases, Oxenfree (was first available on Xbox One back in January) and Dangerous Golf by the makers of the original three Burnout games!

And the Uncharted 2: Among Thieves dynamic theme too. The music that plays during this theme is great!

The first episode of Resident Evil Revelations 2 is FREE! Go and grab it now if you wish to try the game out.

Peek-a-boo

Shinion

So Uncharted 4 continues to frustrate me like few games have done in a while. Thankfully the story has actually started properly now about 4-5 hours in halfway through the Italy part and it is really intriguing, and the graphics and script go without saying as to their high quality (though I'm again afraid that the few new characters introduced so far will be forgettable with textbook copy drug lord baddie having so little impact I've forgotten his name already and even Sam hasn't made me care too much about him yet).

The main issue I'm having is that I find myself remembering a common complaint with the Gears of War series where they have scripted walking segments in-between all the bloodshed and action, thrown in there to break up the pace and not to overwhelm and overuse the action so that it loses its effect. Well I'm thinking Uncharted 4 is the opposite to that, the few action segments so far have been desperately needed in order to break up the monotony of walking and climbing and examining and box-pushing and more walking and talking and basically boring. As a game, the first big chunk of it is boring, no slicing or covering it up the game has bored me so far. I've yet again had to stop partway though the auction heist because the inevitable 's*** hits the fan' moment is taking way too long to happen, a problem elongated considering that most of the two hours before then was just exposition set-up. Even the few (and I do use that word intentionally as I'm still amazed at has little action there has been so far) action scenes haven't been truly impressive, the combat is clearly improved taking several mechanics from The Last of Us to great effect through they haven't had that 'wow' factor yet you know? Prison break (twice!) and boat section right at the beginning. And that's it. In nearly 5 hours.

So yeah a very, very underwhelming start and I'm finding the pacing of the game to be a mess. I'm gonna preserve because the story has been set-up very well. Oh and how about that scene in the Drake household eh? And I thought it was a crime whenever 'nostalgia' is used to propel and support a game, at least that was the case until Naughty Dog couldn't resist. An enjoyable section to be sure, executed very well but I feel the hypocrisy will be palpable once that section gets praised to high heaven from the same people who have sneered at other games for using nostalgia well. As ever it would seem, nostalgia is only a bad thing when the person can't relate.

But hey in other news of recent PS4 purchases I've made The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine is absolutely flawless and people should definitely buy it and play it because it's great and flawless!

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

Peek-a-boo

@Grumblevolcano It's not the same without the Wii motion control bobbins.

I rebought it on the Wii U though, if only for the 'shinier' visuals!

Peek-a-boo

Grumblevolcano

I totally think FAST Racing Neo will come to PS4 next year.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Grumblevolcano

@Peek-a-boo Is it really gone or just on hiatus like Star Fox was?

Grumblevolcano

veeflames

Or you could get the game on the Wii U... just a suggestion.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Peek-a-boo

The only mainline Final Fantasy game (that isn't I, II, III, IV, V and XI) that I haven't played is due out next year on the PlayStation 4, hooray!

Untitled

Here's the (Xbox One) box-art for Final Fantasy XV:

Untitled

I miss the simplicity and minimalism of the old box-art though:

Untitled

Also, E3 begins in seven days time too!

I am really hoping that there won't be any leaks beforehand, seeing as it spoils the surprises they have in store for us. The whole Sucker Punch + Spider-Man rumours, for example, are becoming louder by the day.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic