Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 12,741 to 12,760 of 16,083

Ralizah

Controversy almost always ends up being helpful for whatever is provoking it. Almost always. It keeps your product in the public eye, generates interest from people who might otherwise have written it off, and, in general, mega-fans will still purchase the thing in question, regardless of how much they threaten to boycott it.

@Dezzy "Progressive activists" (lol) don't need to point the stuff out right now: transphobic memes and angry rhetoric have been flooding various websites (especially social media sites like twitter) since the leaks came out. I'm sure it's a LOT of what ND's people see when they log onto twitter. Between that and the generalized frustration of randos online trying to torch public interest in the project you've been pouring your heart and soul into for years because some out-of-context clips were leaked online, are you really surprised Druckmann reacted the way he did?

And anyway, it doesn't matter if bigotry motivates the majority of a backlash. I'm sure it doesn't. It almost never does. But trolls and bigots are great at co-opting outrage and controversy for their own purposes.

Criticism of Reye was based on her role in TFA after people got a chance to see it. "Criticism" of TLOU Part II is based on 1% of the total experience being judged out of its proper narrative context by fans who apparently have a massive entitlement complex when it comes to the property.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Ralizah

@Wavey84 Considering how well TLOU Remastered did, a PS5 version wouldn't surprise me. Especially considering the original, like this, was an end-of-life game for its destination console.

If you have a semi-modern PC, Horizon will be playable on Steam soon. 60FPS shouldn't be too difficult if the PC port is decent.

Dezzy

@Ralizah

You're conflating 2 different groups of people. 1 group of people just don't want see any LGBT characters in a game at all. That group is an incredibly small percentage of the audience.

The second group doesn't want to see political activism being forced into mainstream games (especially in established series they're already invested in), because it tends to have a high likelihood of ruining things (as it creates conflicting priorities and incentives), and also divides the audience into different factions. This group is significantly larger, and is probably the majority of the audience, although that's just guesswork.

Of course people in the first group will often claim they're simply doing the same thing as the second group. But that's disingenuous. Having a character who just happens to be gay in a game, is not inherently pushing activism at all. It's just depicting parts of reality.

The thing that's happening with TLOU2 is that the story leaks (which are not inherently political things at all), are being assumed to be driven by a political agenda by lots of people in the second group. I think that's probably a bit premature to assume that. We probably don't really know that until we've played the full thing. But it's very plausible as well, based on what some of the leaks seem to suggest, and plenty of comments that've come from people at Naughty Dog over recent years.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

kkslider5552000

Dezzy wrote:

They cared about their activism more than they did about the actual working conditions (the thing a union would normally claim to be interested in).

This is a bad faith assumption at absolute best.

Dezzy wrote:

This group is significantly larger, and is probably the majority of the audience, although that's just guesswork.

I mean, the first game is popular enough that I assume the majority of the audience doesn't know about any of this because they have a life. shrugs

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

MsJubilee

Watching that new, The Last Of Us trailer again has made me realize that this game will be an above-average walking dead episode. Well, at least the gameplay will be decent.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Dezzy

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Dezzy wrote:

They cared about their activism more than they did about the actual working conditions (the thing a union would normally claim to be interested in).

This is a bad faith assumption at absolute best.

Yes, I probably stated that wrongly. We don't know if they cared 'more' about it than working conditions. But we do know that the controversy at deadspin was almost entirely about political activism, and not about working conditions. That was the only point I was making. That you can't just assume a union will automatically back staff members, because plenty of unions have multiple agendas.
I think that's absolutely correct.

Octane

It's funny how the article on PushSquare on the disabled comments and likes on the trailer has more comments than the article that contains the actual trailer itself. Controversy works

Anyway. I think @Dezzy kinda has a point, but I wouldn't go that far, so I don't think I completely agree. I do think there's an agenda at ND. It's clear that diversity and inclusion are important for them; however, whether they are successful in achieving that is another point. Because I do think that diversity for the sake of diversity is kinda silly. The point where it feels like it's being shoehorned in is the point where it becomes annoying. However, in the end it's just a game, and if I don't like it, I don't like it. I think the original TLOU was fine in that regard, it didn't bother me. So I don't expect it will be handled badly in this game. I haven't read the leaks though, and I don't intend to either. I'm certainly not going to judge a game based on a few leaks. I'll play it myself, and make up my own mind. At least the gameplay will be good, so I know I'm kinda safe.

But I'm also one of the few who enjoyed Metroid Other M, so what do I have to say about stories in video games?

Octane

Dezzy

FF7 Remake was the top selling game on PSN in April in the US:
https://www.siliconera.com/final-fantasy-7-remake-playstation...

Lol it couldn't beat GTA5 in Europe. Why the hell is that the top selling game. Are Rockstar just buying copies themselves at this point? I don't understand how it's still selling so much.

Octane wrote:

Anyway. I think @Dezzy kinda has a point, but I wouldn't go that far, so I don't think I completely agree. I do think there's an agenda at ND. It's clear that diversity and inclusion are important for them; however, whether they are successful in achieving that is another point. Because I do think that diversity for the sake of diversity is kinda silly. The point where it feels like it's being shoehorned in is the point where it becomes annoying. However, in the end it's just a game, and if I don't like it, I don't like it. I think the original TLOU was fine in that regard, it didn't bother me.

Yes, and for the sake of clarity: I don't actually think any kind of activism has ruined any Naughty Dog games so far. I think they've done a good job of understanding how not to cross the line with this stuff. Although I think you probably can directly draw a line between the absurdity of Nadine in UC4 with a speech Neil Druckmann once gave saying he thought there needed to be more female role models in video games.
I'm convinced that the idea that you're supposed to be 'creating role models', rather than just interesting and believable characters, always leads to terrible writing. Exact same issue with Rey in Star Wars. Disney said pretty much the identical thing to what Druckmann said. (who the hell wants fictional characters to be role models anyway, that's such a silly idea. The great thing about characters like Joel is that he's the opposite of a role model. He's sympathetic in making all the wrong decisions).

Edited on by Dezzy

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy With GTA6 seemingly many years away, it feels like GTAV will become the best selling game of all time at some point before GTA6 launches.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

kkslider5552000

I'm pretty certain GTA 5 is the 2nd best selling game of all time, only behind Minecraft. Last I checked anyway.

Some of those best selling games list have Tetris as number 1, though I've heard those stats are inflated to include different Tetris games so I don't know.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ralizah

GTA V, as extraordinarily well as it has sold, is still 60 million or so behind Minecraft, last I checked. I'm not sure anything is catching up with that game anytime soon.

Dezzy

GTA5 apparently made more total revenue though, because it usually sells for a higher price than Minecraft.

Although I guess Minecraft would have to be significantly higher in terms of profit, given that most of it was made by 1 guy, and the rest by a fairly small team.

And yeah, they never know where to include Tetris because no-one agrees if it's 20 different versions of the same game, or 20 different games. I definitely think something like that PS4 Tetris Effect game counts as a separate game from the gameboy original.

Edited on by Dezzy

BinaryMessiah

Wavey84 wrote:

@status-204
What am I doing on a Nintendo forum? I absolutely love Nintendo and if you're saying the switch isn't 60fps friendly, I don't know what to tell you considering over 90% of their very own games run at that frame rate.

Breath of the wild is an exception, mind you 3D Zelda has always been 30fps or even below(insert N64 days)

Since when do most games run at 60FPS on Switch? Just check out Digital Foundry's videos. The majority run at 30.

BinaryMessiah

Nintendo Network ID: ivory_soul | Twitter:

Dezzy

Yeah there's only a handful that run at 60fps. Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Smash Bros................Fire Emblem Warriors?

JoyBoy

Dezzy wrote:

Yeah there's only a handful that run at 60fps. Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Smash Bros................Fire Emblem Warriors?

Arms, Tropical Freeze, Mario party, Captain Toad, Dragonball fighter Z, Mario Tennis, Yoshi, Mortal Combat, Pokken, Rayman Legends, Rocket league, cuphead, Diablo III, NSMBU, Minecraft. And of course.... the Witcher 3...

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Dezzy

@Spanjard

Those aren't all Nintendo games.

JoyBoy

@Dezzy That's true but they do contradict the original statement/question.

status-204 wrote:

Wavey84 wrote:

I'm a total frame rate wore what can I say. 😉

What are you doing on a Nintendo forum?

I guess both statements sound equally wrong to me. 🤷

Edited on by JoyBoy

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Dezzy

Ok finally we have something that actually looks next-gen. Unreal Engine just dropped this PS5 in-game footage (not clear if this is an actual game or just tech demo).

This does look better than pretty much anything on PS4 or Xbox One. Imagine when they can make an open-world game with this graphical quality. That will be insane.

Edited on by Dezzy

Octane

Yeah, that looks impressive!

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic