Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 12,301 to 12,320 of 16,083

NotTelevision

I’m not sure E3 is as irrelevant as people are claiming online. The various State of Plays and that logo reveal were pretty silly events. I think they should just stick with maintaining a Youtube and social media presence and condense all their interesting material into 2 State of Plays a year that way you know it’s going to be good stuff.

NotTelevision

Grumblevolcano

I think it's probably the E3 2018/2019 problem, console launch windows are generally very heavily reliant on last gen games (e.g. Switch, PS4, XB1) or have huge game droughts (e.g. Wii U) so if Sony were to reveal the new games at a PS5 reveal event (could be February) then the surprises are gone for E3 unless Sony were to pull a E3 2015 revealing a load of far in the future games. I don't think they'd focus too far in the distance this time so an E3 2020 appearance would've been similar to E3 2018.

I think this is why Microsoft has been so quiet on games like Halo Infinite, so that their E3 is strong. I'd imagine there'd be 2-3 Inside Xbox streams before E3 but focus on pre-E3 stuff like Game Pass, controllers, Ori 2, Gears Tactics, Cyberpunk, Master Chief Collection, post-launch support for Gears 5 and Sea of Thieves, etc.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@Grumblevolcano Yeah, something like that. I personally think that when they reveal the console, they should also announce the launch games and maybe a 2021 game or something like that. But if they're also going to do E3, it's going to be a repeat of the same software, which is boring; or upcoming games that won't release within a year, and I think they're trying to avoid that issue. The only option is not to reveal games alongside the console, but revealing a black box would be boring as well. So skipping E3 in favour of a more entertaining reveal presentation is the best solution IMO.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

FFVII Remake delayed to April 10th and Avengers delayed to September 4th.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

Good. Avengers looked quite rough.

Octane

redd214

Ahhh man, wanted Avengers for my birthday! Probably just hold out to play it on the PS5 at that point. Oh well glad they're doing the right thing

So now April is RE3, FF7R, and Cyberpunk all in the first half of the month. Wowzers!!

Edited on by redd214

redd214

Magonigal

I've had every generation of PlayStation and both handhelds but have also had the original Xbox and an Xbox 360. I've got a very large library of games (about 260) on PS4 but I'm getting very tempted to skip the PS5 and get the Series X. I just think Game Pass is the best idea in gaming. My brother has an Xbox One S and the subscription and can play all the latest games without spending a lot of money. I think it's far better value than Playstation Now which i've tried. Is anyone else feeling tempted to switch consoles? Sony has had the better exclusives for a while but that could change with all the studios Microsoft has bought. It's also looking like Microsoft will have the most powerful console this time with all the rumours and they've been producing quality hardware for a while now with their Surface lineup.

Edited on by Magonigal

Magonigal

Dezzy

Ugh, delayed FF7 is annoying but not surprising. I don't understand why they give exact release dates in situations where they're not 100% sure. Why not say it's releasing in Q1 2020? And then give the exact date once it's gone gold.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

Heavily considering just canceling my Cyberpunk preorder now. FF7R will be commanding my full attention until I finish it.

Magonigal wrote:

I've had every generation of PlayStation and both handhelds but have also had the original Xbox and an Xbox 360. I've got a very large library of games (about 260) on PS4 but I'm getting very tempted to skip the PS5 and get the Series X. I just think Game Pass is the best idea in gaming. My brother has an Xbox One S and the subscription and can play all the latest games without spending a lot of money. I think it's far better value than Playstation Now which i've tried. Is anyone else feeling tempted to switch consoles? Sony has had the better exclusives for a while but that could change with all the studios Microsoft has bought. It's also looking like Microsoft will have the most powerful console this time with all the rumours and they've been producing quality hardware for a while now with their Surface lineup.

If you're just interested in 'the latest games,' then Game Pass probably is a better value.

Sony already has an edge for me due to the PS5 being backwards compatible with PS4 software, but I don't really 'do' brand loyalty. I went with the 360 last gen and, if Microsoft played their cards right, I could be convinced to swap again. It's all down to pricing, features, and exclusives for me.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Magonigal

@Ralizah

Yeah the PS5 being able to play my PS4 games is a big plus point and some of my favourite games have been the exclusives like God of War, Spiderman, Horizon Zero Dawn, Last of Us and Uncharted. Xbox can't really compete with that. I've also got plenty of indie games for my Playstation but my Switch is the best for that now. I think Game Pass has got a very good range of games, it definitely has on PC with lots of indie gems and it's a very good deal to save money and still play the games you want. That's the big plus point. If the Xbox is more powerful then I don't mind so much it being more expensive because you need the power for better ray tracing and that's the future of graphics

Magonigal

Octane

@Ralizah CDPR makes amazing games, and I'm really looking forward to playing Cyberpunk. But not at launch. TW3 was a mess at launch, and so was Thronebreaker. I couldn't play the latter without encountering a glitch or bug every 30 minutes or so. Their games are great, but require a good amount of patches at launch. Maybe they've learned and Cyberpunk plays incredibly well at launch, but I want to experience it in the best way possible. So waiting 6 months means I can play it on PS5 instead of my vanilla PS4, and if it is a mess at launch, it will hopefully play a lot better by the end of the year. So that's what I'm going to do.

Avengers looked terrible anyway, so I'm probably going to try FF7 instead. Followed by TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima later that year. And then Cyberpunk on PS5. Maybe Nintendo will announce some games soon as well... Hoping for Zelda to be released in late 2020.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane I don't mind minor bugs, but buying a game at launch when I won't have the time for it seems wasteful. Besides, I'd ideally like to upgrade my computer before I play it so that I don't have to worry about performance.

Also, this will allow me to play The Witcher 3 at my leisure. I've thought about rushing through the rest of the game, but this way I'll just dip in here and there until the end of the year.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

@Ralizah Thronebreaker crashed on me multiple times, and I got stuck a few times, like literally due to a glitch. Had to restart the game. So yeah, I'm definitely going to wait a bit!

Octane

NEStalgia

@Magonigal I'm still in both ecosystems and probably will continue to be since there are titles on PS that I love as well, but a year or two ago I did largely "switch" over to the XBox camp. I had PS3 & 360 last gen and ended up playing 360 more mostly due to how bad the PS3 ran multiplats, even though I liked Sony more overall. This gen it was a no brainer to jump into PS4 fully and ditch XBox, but over the span of the gen, MS managed to win me over to the point I got an X1X and now I consider the X1 my "primary" over the PS4. Though most of the advantages of XB come from the digital ecosystem, GP, etc, so for a physical gamer, there's not much appeal there, I imagine.

With a mammoth library now for X1X and GP etc, I'll probably upgrade the X1 first unless there's an exclusive that I just "need" right away on PS5. I imagine I'll jump into both again though over time. And with XX (or as a mod that is not Octane got me to say about XBox SEries X - the XSEX) leaving behind "generations" it's not forcing me to upgrade yet, which is nice, I can sit back and watch the stock shortages generation unfold

NEStalgia

Magonigal

@NEStalgia
Just like you've got a large library with the X1X, i've got a huge PS4 library so that would be a reason to get the PS5, although I can just keep the PS4 anyway. I'd love the be able to go with both, the PS5 for the great Sony exclusives and the XSEX for Game Pass although i've got such a huge backlog that I can wait like you and see what happens

Magonigal

NEStalgia

@Magonigal Absolutely, wherever the big library is it kinds of cements you to that platform. Thankfully I didn't have a huge PS4 library at the time. I did end up rebuying some stuff to move it over, but it wasn't extensive, but yeah, if the tables turned and MS became anti-consumer and Sony became the generous one, I'd be kind of trapped.

There's also the option of getting a discounted X1X just as a Game Pass player to compliment a PS5 after the XSEX releases since they said they won't be forcing the new console and trying to keep it more generation-less. You wouldn't get the prettiest graphics, but it could be an economical way just to have access to new titles on GP, while putting the traditionally purchased library on a PS5.

NEStalgia

Magonigal

@NEStalgia
I've got Game Pass on PC which is amazing value for only £3.99 so will stick with that for now as it's a huge bargain and that could be a reason to go with the PS5 because i'd still be getting all the best Microsoft games. Hope it doesn't hurt the success of the XSEX that they're saying all the early games are going to be on everything instead of being exclusive but it's good for consumers

Edited on by Magonigal

Magonigal

Dezzy

Got started in Jedi: Fallen Order.

Only about a fifth of the way through, but so far my impression is: quite average game, but excellent use of Star Wars IP. I'm so much more invested in the story than I have been in any of the Disney movies.

It's probably the closest thing to the original Star Wars trilogy I've seen too. Definitely feels much closer to that than it does to the prequel trilogy.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

iKhan

Hey folks, so I don't dwell on this thread much because I'm not much of a Sony fan, but I figured I'd give my two cents on Sony's E3 decision as a non-Sony fan.

I'm genuinely concerned that Sony's absence from E3 will hurt their ability to advertise their games to non-fans. I've always watched Sony's E3 press conferences, because there are a handful of Sony published games I find interesting, and it's easy just include it in the string of conferences that I watch during E3 weekend.

But with Sony's absence over the past year, I honestly have no clue what Sony is working on besides the PS5, and as a Non-Sony fan, that doesn't bother me enough to go dig for that information.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

TuVictus

Eh, I doubt it'll have any measurable impact. They're big enough that word of mouth and article headlines will make up for whatever perceived loss of mainstream attention that leaving E3 might cause

TuVictus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic