Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 12,321 to 12,340 of 16,083

Ralizah

@iKhan You have no clue what Sony is working on besides the current year stuff they've already advertised significantly because nobody knows that sort of thing yet. Presumably we'll hear a lot about their upcoming PS5 products when the console is fully unveiled.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

redd214

Non gaming fans don't tune into E3 for the most part anyway lol. Obviously it gets covered my mainstream media but a standalone ps5 reveal event would too. Hurts E3/ESA much more than Sony imo.

redd214

NEStalgia

EDIT: You know, that didn't seem so massive when I wrote it...

I'm sure Sony has done the math and determined the cost-benefit of E3 vs no E3. But speaking only for myself, it's pretty much made Sony invisible to me. I passively felt that situation for the past year and a half or so, but mostly interpreted it as being more focused on Nintendo and XBox, which is true to a point. But not until reading about that this morning did it click for me how significant E3 is in my personal hype machine, my brand perception/pride of ownership, and my purchasing plans for the year.

It's one week a year I'm tuned in to the whole industry, and the whole industry is speaking to me. 2 E3's ago Sony's show was terrible. It did get me more excited for Spiderman than I'd been, but I left that E3 being hyped about MS and ....ok Smashtendo didn't do much for me at E3, but I'm more directly plugged into Nintendo than the other two, obviously. Previous years, I'd see MS's show, get some interest (even though I wasn't too interested in XB at that point), enter Sony's show ambivalently and end up genuinely hyped and enthused for Sony content to compliment Nintendo. Every year.

That dismal showing 2 E3's ago, I came out semi buzzed, but then just steamrolled that buzz with Nintendo's content. Still, it kept me aware of what Sony was doing and I bought some of the stuff I saw over the year.

But my 1 week of "lets see everything I want this year" marathon, last year....simply included no Sony. Everyone was there...except them. I saw stuff I wanted, and it wasn't theirs. I haven't touched my PS4 except Spidey a few times for a few minutes since then. I'm aware of none of what Sony is working on. No idea when their games launch. I seem to find out months after the fact, often when it's already on sale. The only thing I know about them is what you guys talk about here. They effectively don't reach me anymore, and thus don't enthuse me anymore.

I was expecting a big huge new console blitz this year at E3 was going to hype me on the Sony train again. Instead I'll see a big blitz for XSEX....I'll see Nintendo games.....and Sony will not exist. I'll actively search for P5 Royal. I'll actively keep tabs on Tsushima...other than that...Sony doesn't exist in my field of view.

It seems like they've turned their focus inward, only reaching the current loyal customers. A doable policy when they're in the lead, but not the best strategy around.

If I was a Sony-focused gamer on Push Square they'd have my attention, I'd be actively following them and know all the rumors. But I'm not. I actively follow Nintendo because i'm a Nintendo focused gamer. XBox pulls me in every E3. And XOxx is always near black friday so I give it a look. I have a vague sense Sony does...stuff...in places...sometimes.... but they've abandoned their main channel to reach me when I'm actively seeking what all the companies are offering. If they don't catch me when I'm looking, they miss me. I haven't spent a penny on my PS4 since the non-showing in June. I will buy P5 Royal in March. I will probably buy Tsushima....probably long after it launches. Maybe Death Stranding which I have seen almost nothing of and therefore don't care about, only when it's cheap, only because you guys talked about it here. Out of sight, out of mind.

I certainly won't hurt their numbers, but I can't be the only existing or potential customer that's not actively following PS on a regular basis that counts on finding out what's cooking in the blue tent every year, that ends up forgetting it exists if it's not there. It's not that they don't have anything I might want, it's that they've decided not to bother telling me about it when I'm checking, and I might hear about it elsewhere first.

A PS5 reveal will get attention - but if we think back to PS4/X1, the Feb reveal generated buzz, but the battle lines were not drawn until E3. People's interest was piqued, but they waited to see it all together, and it was the following post-launch stadium E3 show that really set the image of what PS4 was about (even if it was mostly just smoke and mirrors, timed multiplats, games that still don't exist....) I watched the PS4 reveal and scheduled it just to watch. Then filed it away as "somewhat interesting" until E3 with the big showdown. That's the night they won me.

Maybe they have a good plan that will pull me in - but the question is, if they pull me in in March, will I forget about them in June? Conversely if they try to wow me in October, will my mind have already been settled in June?

I'm pretty shocked by the news. I've thought for a year they'd be back with a bang this June. For now they'll remain invisible to me indefinitely. They know their market better than I do, but it seems equally clear I'm not their market anymore. I'll wait for a library of (discounted) exclusives and buy a PS5 Slim in a few years, probably, unless they have games that wow me. But then, I won't know about them. Because I"ll be watching E3 and seeing a ton of other games to buy without theirs to be seen.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

iKhan

@Ralizah

Huh really? That's surprising. I feel like Sony has traditionally announced their stuff really far in advance.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

TuVictus

If they ever felt any real fear of losing any sort of sizable market value, literally all they have to do is announce

A) God of War 2
B) Horizon Zero Dawn 2
C) Spider-Man 2
or (for even easier guarantee of success)
D) Bloodborne 2.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Magician

The PS4 was unveiled in February 2013 before its release in November 2013.

We may be hearing/seeing something about PS5 fairly soon.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

NEStalgia

@PikPi Wait, Bloodborne as a higher guarantee of success that GoW/HZD/Spidey? Huh? I mean I know it has it's fans, but it's not "it prints money" status like GoW and Spidey in particular.

NEStalgia

TuVictus

@NEStalgia I dunno, I'd say the fanbase for Bloodborne is big enough for it to easily convince people to buy a console. It's on pretty much every PS4 owner's "best of" list. Might not necessarily make as much money (don't know that data), but I'd say the hype for it and pretty much anything from FromSoftware dwarfs the others.

TuVictus

Octane

@iKhan The only noteworthy upcoming games are Dreams (feb), The Last of Us 2 (may), and Ghost of Tsushima (summer iirc). That's all we know, all there is to know. I think they want to avoid the PS4 situation where they had everything announced 2-3 years in advance. I think they'll reveal the PS5 soon with a bunch of games. But yeah, they've been quiet for the last year or so, because there was nothing big left to announce.

Octane

Anti-Matter

I just curious what is Dreams ?
Is that somewhat like Little Big Planet judging from its gameplay last time ?
And why does the game rated Teen or PEGI 12 ?

Anti-Matter

NEStalgia

@PikPi GoW is a mass market seller, certainly. As is Spider Man just because it's Spider Man, regardless of the fact that it's an Insomniac game as well. HzD is kind of a sleeper cult hit. Bloodborne, and From in general I don't think is particularly mainstream. It's popular among a vocal niche, and it's not insignificant because of that niche, but it's not really in the same list as GoW, Uncharted, Spiderman, etc in terms of broad appeal and thus sales potential. And keep in mind it was given out for free, so it made "best of" lists a bit easier than most.

Of course, me, personally, I'm certainly not in its niche. I suck horribly at all the FROM games (and Nioh) but I at least understand what's intriguing about Souls, and I quite like Sekiro even if I suck horribly at it. Bloodborne never clicked for me, even in my usual "I can't get out of chapter 1" FROM standard.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@PikPi There are plenty of PS4 owners who don't care for Bloodborne. Me included.

It's just one of those games with a vocal fanbase.

Anyway, none of those games would sell me, but HZD 2 would be a really decent exclusive to have early on.

Edited on by Ralizah

redd214

Cyberpunk delayed until September, my plans for the first half are all screwed lol. More PS5 games I guess

Edited on by redd214

redd214

Octane

@redd214 Well, that's definitely going to be a PS5 game for me then. I was going to wait regardless, because CDPR's games are notoriously bugged at launch, but six months or so is still quite a lot of time. Now it's only a month or two, so there's no reason to play this on vanilla PS4.

Octane

Ralizah

Do we even know if it's getting a PS5 version, or what, if any, performance improvements there will be?

Octane

@Ralizah It will probably be optimised for PS4 Pro, so it will likely play better on PS5 than on my vanilla PS4; even if the PS5 play the PS4 Pro version, that's still more than I currently have.

Because it's so close to next gen console, I don't see why they can't have a version with higher frame rate or resolution that is closer to a maxed out PC version on Series X and PS5.

Octane

TuVictus

@Ralizah @NEStalgia

Eh, I'm standing by the fact that FromSoftware commands enough hype that a game like Bloodborne 2 would easily make the PS5 an instabuy for many people, regardless of the perceived "niche" of their games, which honestly at this point, I don't think should be called niche anymore, lmao.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Octane

@PikPi I think that most who would buy Bloodborne 2 day one, are probably the same people that will buy a PS5 day one regardless of whether Bloodborne 2 is on it.

Octane

TuVictus

@Octane Haha, maybe

Cyberpunk being delayed makes sense, figured it'd see one before launch, which must be good news for many April games

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

redd214

@Ralizah we don't know definitively however I would assume it will get some boost with the better hardware even if it's just the load time elimination they showed with Spiderman.

redd214

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic