Forums

Topic: The PlayStation 4 Fan Thread

Posts 11,781 to 11,800 of 12,207

Ralizah

Censorship and repression always start on the fringes and proceed inward toward the middle. That's just how these things work, and it's why I get frustrated when people cheer on the censorship of games/people/whatever that they don't care for. If things are allowed to progress unimpeded, it WILL eventually affect something or someone you like, because it is the nature of the censor to exert more and more control over the world.

With that said, I don't think even Sony is bold enough to try to touch developers like Rockstar or CDPR at this point. Smaller Japanese developers are easier to go after.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Dezzy

subpopz wrote:

I'm not in the Playstation loop....where is all this censoring coming from? Something must have triggered it, just curious as to what that was that sparked it in only 1 of the big 3.

They say in an interview with the Wall Street Journal that it was done in response to the #MeToo movement.

So they seem to be endorsing the idea that media depictions actually influence real world behaviour. In which case, they should probably be banning violence from their games too, given that the logic is identical (and evidence is equally weak). So Harvey Weinstein was an upstanding fellow until he came across Senran Kagura, basically.

It probably sparked in Sony but not Microsoft/Nintendo because Sony is heavily involved with Hollywood, and Hollywood is where most of the high profile sexual assault cases were happening. So it meant that activists who wanted to push for changes in these kinds of policies had an actual justification for attacking Sony. Whereas Microsoft and Nintendo could more plausibly just ignore those demands and claim they had nothing to do with the whole issue.

I'm just annoyed the US-branch of Sony has this kind of influence. I assumed with it being a Japanese company, we'd be spared the annoying politicization of anything and everything, that happens in the US.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

PikPi

Also wasn't it something to do with them merging all their different divisions or something to that effect?

PikPi

darkfenrir

Didn't Sony's HQ changed to America too this year?

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

Octane

@darkfenrir No. Just the PlayStation brand, but that happened a few years ago.

Octane

Dezzy

I bet that has something to do with it though. Can't imagine they'd be hiding bottoms in Devil May Cry if it was based in Tokyo.

Ralizah

Persona 5 R is launching October 31st in Japan. No additional word on available platforms. I imagine, if we do hear about a Nintendo version, it'll be tomorrow with 5 S.

Ralizah

NEStalgia

@subpopz Most of what @Dezzy said got it right. But I think it's a mix of Sony's overall reorganization to focus Playstation in the US and merge it more tightly with Sony Entertainment overall, and more of their management and liability issues being inextricably linked to their film and music divisions now. To a degree it's just idealists and politics of the existing Columbia/Tristar/BMG/Sony Pictures division flexing their muscles against Playstation now in their domain, but more importantly I think it's a corporate protection issue after the damaging internal email hacks of C/T/SP, the "me too" anti-male movement of the West coast elites that make a core of everything Sony corp, that Sony's just grouping all of entertainment into one basket, washing their hands of the politically costly stuff, and enforcing it company-wide.

Or put another way, Playstation is being stripped so that Columbia/Tristar/Sony Pictures can save face, effort, and political clout. Kaz is very unhealthily obsessed with C/T/SP and it's bleeding into the whole company. He probably should have let it tank and sold it to Disney for a 50% stock swap. It'll cut profitable business this way.

NEStalgia

Tsurii

@Ralizah I don't believe it'll happen whatsoever but if they pull a double release on Switch (lol, as if), I'd be all over that. If 5S is just a port of the first version of the game (for Switch and/or anything else) I'm buying that physical for PS4 and wait for Royal.

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter

Ralizah

@Tsurii Me either. Mainline Persona is Sony exclusive. I'm expecting it'll be a fighting game spin-off, like the Arena games last gen.

Perhaps the Switch might get a port of that, like the Xbox 360 did with the Arena games.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

redd214

Lol these comments last couple pages are comedy gold!

It appears to little surprise that this year's COD is going to Modern Warfare 4

redd214

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I still don't get why Persona is PS exclusive, considering SMT mainline, a series I'd think far more suited to the Sony audience, is Nintendo exclusive. I mean at least they get their respective exclusives, but it seems a really weird fit "Oh, SMT is hardcore, so it goes to Sega, and after Sega drops, we'll continue with the Nintendo audience, but the total weeb bait anime life sim spinoff RPG? Only Sony fans will have interest in that! But if we cross it with Fire Emblem and make it twice as Weeby, we'll put that on Nintendo!"

Screw Persona 5. I want TMS2!!

So between YsVIII, Vesperia, Shining Resonance, and delving thorugh FFX, FFIX (my old fav!) and FFXII again....which would you recommend as my next pick?

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia Ys VIII is great, I highly recommend that game. It doesn't do anything beyond above-average for me, but the sum is greater than the whole if that makes any sense. I don't have too much bad to say about the game, but it never became "amazing" for me, just "great".

It comes with multiple difficulty settings across the board so if you're feeling frustrated you can turn it down if something is giving you crap.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Well, the PS2 got several SMT games, including the third mainline game in the series. But yeah, I don't really get Atlus' philosophy on keeping certain franchises exclusive to certain ecosystems, either. All I can say for sure is that, when they change ecosystems, as they did with SMT, it's a complete change. Sony hasn't seen a single SMT game since it went over to Nintendo. And aside from a possible PC port of the first game in the 90's, mainline Persona has always been Sony exclusive. It's just how they roll. Spinoffs seem to be fair game for multiplatform releases, though.

Ys VIII is superb. I mean, the characters and plot are nothing special, but it plays like a cross between a Zelda game (in terms of how you have to use items from dungeons to access new parts of the island) and an action-RPG, with combat that reminds me of a simplistic character action game. Think NieR: Automata's combat, and you're on the right track.

Anyway, the game excels at combining various elements (Zelda-esque progression and level design; fun, if spammy, combat; numerous base-building and crafting systems; something akin to social links in a Persona game; decent side-quests; offensive and defensive raid missions; etc.) to create an experience that is ridiculously addictive.

Also, the music is catchy.

I wholeheartedly recommend it if you're not too bothered by the fact that it looks sort of like an up-rezzed PS2 game. Switch version does have some framerate and resolution issues, though. Framerate-wise, it dips pretty hard in the areas introduced in the PS4 version. They're not major parts of the game, and the performance is mostly fine otherwise, but it's something to keep in mind. Also, the game doesn't look great in handheld mode. It's not Xenoblade 2 levels of ugly, but it's definitely not a looker.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

-Green-

Days Gone seems to be getting pretty average scores overall. Not unexpected to be entirely honest. Love zombies but it really seemed to lack that certain edge that would make it unique.

My gaze now turns to Dying Light 2. Techland are very ambitious (ironically) so fingers crossed they can dish out a good zombo game.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

CanisWolfred

@-Green- By all accounts, it has a good story, and the big differences in the score seem to be based on whether or not they felt the gameplay faults outweighed the narrative strengths. I certainly didn't expect that. I mean, it just looks like a boring game, IMO. Between that and Mortal Kombat 11 bizarre, detrimental turn towards an eSports-focused mobile-economy-driven live service game that's clearly not going over well with its dedicated fans, this month has clearly been a wash as far as major game releases go. Hopefully next month will fare better.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

EvilLucario

Been playing Ace Combat 7 on Steam today. Oh my goodness, I clearly forgot how to play Ace Combat ever since Assault Horizon Legacy on 3DS. I spent a long time just crashing because I kept going too fast lmao. But after remembering how to high-G turn and finding out that you can enter first-person mode again, I'm back in my element and holy crap, it's so fun.

Playing on Normal this time since I haven't played an Ace Combat game in a long while, but so far it's giving me good vibes. I love the music, the game looks and runs beautifully at 144fps, and the gameplay was always one of the strongest points of Ace Combat for me when I played it then.

The story though? Uh... it's kinda gibberish right now but whatever.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Magician

Looks like Sony intends to remain #1 going into the next generation, investing heavily into PS5.

Switch Physical Collection - 364 games (as of July 16th, 2019)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Switch) Mary Skelter (PS Vita) Borderlands The Pre-sequel (PS4)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

Dezzy

I assume Playstation is the biggest source of profit for Sony, right? Makes sense they'd invest in a lot in it.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic