Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 11,641 to 11,660 of 16,083

Grumblevolcano

I think we'll see 1 episode per year, with Sony saying the transition between PS4 and PS5 will be smooth it seems potentially realistic to have something like:
FFVII Remake Episode 1 - Holiday 2019 (PS4), Holiday 2020 (PS5)
FFVII Remake Episode 2 - Holiday 2020 (PS4 and PS5)
FFVII Remake Episode 3 - Holiday 2021 (PS4 and PS5)
FFVII Remake Complete Edition - Holiday 2021 (PS5)

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@GrailUK Haha, well, I don't think it's quite PS2 bad, but PS3 I'll give you. I can't imagine there's exclusivity on this since FF as a whole has jumped to all platforms officially now.

@Grumblevolcano That's gross. I'm not going to care about this thing even slightly until holiday 2021 if that's the case. Just make the game, then release it. Didn't we go through Square's episodic nonsense with the near-destruction of IOI via Hitman already?

NEStalgia

TuVictus

1 year between each game is the absolute maximum I'm willing to tolerate. The fact that it's episodic at all is annoying enough, but imagine having to wait a typical Square Enix dev time in between each one. I just wouldn't bother at that point

TuVictus

RR529

Just reached the point in Tales of Zestiria where the war just started. Recently beat the Hyland general transformed into a werewolf. Of course I'm still early into it all things considered, but it definitely feels like it's missing "something" compared to Abyss & Vesperia.

Even if it's a bit more obviously linear, I DO like how the field environments are "real sized" in comparison to your party members (in comparison to Abyss & Vesperia, which use the old school overworld view where you appear to be a giant outside of dungeons & towns), however I feel like the camera is a little too close to Sorey in general (especially in battles, as you don't have a full view of the battlefield at all times like you do in the earlier games).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

FragRed

I wouldn't be too surprised if Square Enix ended up having more than a year between each episodic release for FF VII. Baring in mind they don't seemed to have learned their lessons from creating new engines for each new game (would not be surprised if they did so with this game too), announcing projects well too early and then handing it over to someone who ends up taking years developing said projects. Then, as @NEStalgia has stated, they also just don't seem to understand why going episodic with Hitman was such a bad thing. I think they looked at Hitman's sales as "nobody wants these games" and that's it.

Good luck to anyone wanting to be alive by the time we see the final episode released.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Trajan

I downloaded the Monster Hunter World demo. There's been a lot of hype with this game. A few hours in and I'm bored to tears.

Is the only thing you do is chase dinosaurs that take a million hits to kill, make weapons, and then kill more?

World is beautiful, but the game play is pretty disappointing for me. Combat is like bayonetta if she was made out of cement.

Sakurai: Which is why I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves.

"If we did this (mobile games), Nintendo would cease to be Nintendo." - Iwata

-Green-

Yup that’s basically entirely what MH is tbh. It carries itself on the gameplay and cyclically killing monsters to build increasingly better gear. It can be pretty monotonous and is definitely not for everyone.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

CanisWolfred

@Trajan It's a gameplay treadmill with lots of moving parts, and a satisfying difficulty curve and reward system that drives it forward. You either like it or you don't. I was really confused by the hype Monster Hunter: World got, since it didn't seem like people actually knew what they were getting into...I've encountered plenty of people who just saw "open world dinosaurs!" and came to a myriad of conclusions. While the demo isn't perfect, I guess it at least does a better job what Monster Hunter is than the trailers.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Dezzy

PikPi wrote:

1 year between each game is the absolute maximum I'm willing to tolerate.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment there, me thinks.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

TuVictus

Dezzy wrote:

You're setting yourself up for disappointment there, me thinks.

If that's the case in the end then I can safely say the remake is not worth my time or anticipation until it's all out in god knows what ridiculous time frame. At least in the past it was for singular games, and not three parts of what used to be (and absolutely should still be) a single game.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Grumblevolcano

If it's longer than a year between each game surely Square Enix would've just delayed the whole thing to release only on next gen hardware?

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Anti-Matter

FF VII remake will be FF XVII for PS5.
How sweet, like Seventeen magazine. 🤣

Anti-Matter

MrGawain

In my opinion FF7 was a watershed moment because it surprised us, with storybeats that aren’t always uplifting. Every RPG after it has drawn from FF7 trying to surprise us, and you could argue the stories have gotten better since 7. A remake can’t be as shocking because at this point even if you haven’t played FF7, chances are you’ve seen something on a YouTube video or read an article about those big plot twists.

Not to mention breaking the story up is going to effect how immersed the player can become in the story when you stop the narrative a third in for a year or two.

Isn't it obvious that Falco Lombardi is actually a parrot?

Ralizah

They just need to structure it so each "episode" is fairly complete and satisfying within itself. The point where the party first leaves Midgar is a natural stopping point, for example. Later sections might need to be restructured a bit to accommodate this design, though.

They REALLY need to keep development for the sequels on track, though.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Dezzy

MrGawain wrote:

Every RPG after it has drawn from FF7 trying to surprise us, and you could argue the stories have gotten better since 7.

I don't hear many people arguing that. I think stories are the one part of video games that don't get better over time.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

NEStalgia

Ff7r being episodic, to me, means it doesn't actually exist at all. Just not going to pay attention until theres a box set for $20 in 2030.

@Trajan it's called "monster Hunter" not "monster doki doki adventure story" it does what it says on the tin, your a hunter that hunts monsters. It's like Cabela's deer Hunter, except you're hunting skyscraper sized freaking dragons with a pointy stick, and it has deep rpg gear systems. But it's kind of a fantasy hunting sim with rpg elements.

NEStalgia

RR529

Apparently Moss (PSVR) is getting a free new chapter. Saw the news over on PushSquare, but it's unknown exactly what it'll consist of (by "chapter", it could possibly mean just one new level, an entire new arc, or maybe even just a side mode).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Sorry for the double post, but I thought this was pretty funny. Apparently there's a bit of a controversy in the Japanese gaming community, where they think Aerith's design in the FFVII remake makes her look too old (compared to her design in Advent Children). They think her face looks too long, and her eyes to small (some are starting to call her an "auntie", lol).

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

TuVictus

good lord, really? People really need to complain about something, huh

TuVictus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic