Forums

Topic: The PlayStation 4 Fan Thread

Posts 11,261 to 11,280 of 12,193

Ralizah

The thing about Uncharted games is not only that they're ultra-linear, but that, for long periods, they cinematically dictate the pace of the gameplay around you. While this changes a bit in Uncharted 4 (which has a bit more of an illusion of freedom in certain areas), earlier games felt like long, interactive cutscenes, with no clearly defined border between times when the player was in control and when the game was in control. Thus, they could and would jerk the player around at any time.

I've owned TR2013 for god knows how long, but I never got around to playing it, for some reason. Not sure why: it looks fun!

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Octane

@CanisWolfred So, I just learned about this VR game from Respawn: https://uploadvr.com/titanfall-vr-respawn/ and it's not Titanfall VR. So in a single year: Apex Legends, a Titanfall project, a VR game, and a Star Wars game. If that's true, they're going from 1 game every 2 or 3 years to 4 games in a single year. I wonder how that is possible.

@Ralizah Same here. I've had it for a good few months, but I hadn't started it yet.

I was actually planning on finishing Thronebreaker, because that final fight is just way too OP, so I gave up on it after a handful of tries earlier this week. When I tried to launch Thronebreaker yesterday I couldn't get it working. Restarted my PS4 even, still no luck. Great game, but it has the polish of a Fallout game. Anyway, decided it was time to play some more of MGSV, because that's another one of those games I started, but never finished. My internet was down by the way, and I learned that you cannot play MGSV without an internet connection. WHY?! It needs to ''connect to the server'', and without the internet, I couldn't get passed the loading screen... So I decided to give Tomb Raider a try, it's one of the oldest PS4 games I own, so I figured it wouldn't be plagued by any of the always online nonsense. I had to delete some games to make room on my HDD, because that's a thing these days, and I had to wait for the install, but I managed to get Tomb Raider working. It was a real struggle, but I'm glad I started on Tomb Raider in the end.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

@Octane I'd guess Star Wars gets cancelled, would sound about right for EA Star Wars.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

I can't remember which Star Wars got cancelled and which didn't.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@Dezzy Amy Hennig's Star Wars game and Visceral's open world Star Wars game.

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane

Amy Hennig's one was a while back though wasn't it? I thought one got canceled in the last few months?

Octane

@Dezzy Yeah, I'm sorry, I got confused as well. Visceral Studios was closed down as well. Amy Hennig was working with Visceral Studios. That game was cancelled a little over a year ago. According to EA the story-driven linear game didn't fit in the current marketplace. So assets were moved over to EA Vancouver who started working on an open world Star Wars game that could probably be monetised. But that game got cancelled this year, because they wanted to get something out sooner. So it got cancelled in favour of a smaller project; whatever that may be.

Star Wars is all about story and characters, so I find it weird that they can't make something that isn't an online shooter. The franchise is ripe for RPGs, story-driven adventure games, or even open world games. Two mediocre shooters is all we got so far. Both were rushed to meet their holiday releases just in time for the films, according to EA themselves; and the second one caused the biggest loot box controversy we've seen so far. So... good job EA? At least Disney is fine with the way things are going.

Octane

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

So... good job EA? At least Disney is fine with the way things are going.

That's because even after all of their nonsense, most EA games are still profitable. Battlefront 2 and Battlefield V both annoyed the fanbases significantly and the result was that instead of selling like 17 million (like the previous games in each franchise did), they'll both end up selling about 10 million. So these big franchises have such a marketing momentum behind them that it's really quite hard for them to fail in the traditional sense. These series will only really fail if they maintain their bad form for several games in succession.

CanisWolfred

Octane wrote:

Star Wars is all about story and characters, so I find it weird that they can't make something that isn't an online shooter.

Because it's EA, and they don't make singleplayer games anymore. Period. They're the worst choice for a franchise like Star Wars, but apparently, Disney doesn't know what they're doing with any of their franchises, so they're in no position to complain. I'm personally glad I've never been a Star Wars fan, because if I was, I'd be beyond frustrated. I can't imagine how unbareable it must feel to have your favorite multi-media franchise bought up by a mega-corporation who had no real idea what to do with it other than just rake in the cash, so they proceeded to hand off several projects to a bunch of hacks who also couldn't care less about the brand they're working with. If nothing else, the amount of sheer apathy that permeates the more recent Star Wars products (excluding TV, because Disney's shoulder-shrugging meant that they kept on the talented people already working of the Clone Wars stuff) is staggering.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Dezzy

CanisWolfred wrote:

I'm personally glad I've never been a Star Wars fan, because if I was, I'd be beyond frustrated. I can't imagine how unbareable it must feel to have your favorite multi-media franchise bought up by a mega-corporation who had no real idea what to do with it other than just rake in the cash, so they proceeded to hand off several projects to a bunch of hacks who also couldn't care less about the brand they're working with.

Dude my 2 favourite pieces of fiction as a kid were the original Star Wars movies and the Tolkien books.
In the last 5-10 years, I feel like both have been demeaned by soulless corporations.

It's made me realise how glad I am that the Final Fantasy series (the third pillar of the holy fantasy trinity) has separate installments for each game. It at least means that they can't retrospectively ruin their past works.
I'll hopefully never have to find out that Zidane and Garnet broke up and Zidane is old and living alone in a cave somewhere just mugging random travelers and talking to a wall.

Edited on by Dezzy

RR529

Does anyone know if you can check how many festival platforms are hidden in a mission in Senran Kagura: Estival Versus from within the mission? It tells you how many platforms a mission has on the mission select screen (so the number itself isn't a secret), but the game often jumps right into the next mission as soon as you complete the one you were playing, so you're pretty much going in blind unless you exit the mission (which takes you all the way back to the main menu) and then go in again after checking on the mission select screen.

It's not the biggest problem, but it's a tad cumbersome. Probably not the most played game around here, but I figured I'd ask anyway (and asking over on Push Square probably wouldn't be the best idea, given how the community in general, including the mods, reacts just on general articles about the series).

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Octane

@WebHead It would be great if the new PSVR had just a single cable; everything else built in the console.

Octane

WebHead

@Octane that is one of the great things about USB 3.1 type c.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

EvilLucario

VR is certainly really cool, and I hope it takes off even further. I just hope it doesn't backfire like the Kinect focus for the Xbox One.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

RR529

I'm probably just ignorant about it, but would they even need a new headset for PS5's VR? I mean with how niche VR currently still is it would make sense to make the current headset still compatible, so current owners wouldn't have to invest into more than the PS5 itself.

Don't get me wrong, a revision with less wiring would be great for people jumping into it with PS5, but they should at least have an adapter for the older model.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Octane

@WebHead Yeah, I think. I'm not up to date on the newest 3.1 stuff, I've heard the reason why the Switch cannot do HDR is because of the USB-C, but I don't know what type it uses. Hopefully that's resolved with the new USB-C.

@EvilLucario Simple solution: Don't make it mandatory.

@RR529 I think the PS5 could provide an upgrade to VR games. It could definitely increase the amount of detail you can render in a game. The bottleneck would still be the resolution though; and without a new PSVR headset, you can't resolve that issue. The games look fine, but it can be a bit grainy at times, which I think it caused by the ''low'' resolution of the headset. The current PSVR setup is a bit complicated, but as long as there are three USB ports available, I don't see why you couldn't use your old PSVR device on the PS5; assuming it's all backwards compatible with the PS4 of course.

However, assuming the VR conversion is done within the console itself this time, they could technically sell a little 2x HDMI to USB-C converter since the old conversion box may be redundant. It all depends on how it's set up of course.

That being said, I don't think they're releasing PSVR 2 alongside the PS5, so there's a chance the old one will work with the PS5 anyway.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

@Octane More important, don't do controversial things alongside it. Even if Kinect wasn't bundled with XB1, XB1 would've flopped because of the other stuff like "always online" and the used games strategy.

But of course the best outcome would be both (no controversial stuff alongside it and it being an optional side purchase).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

WebHead

Yeah sony please do not charge us more money and force us to get a psvr 2.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic