Forums

Topic: The PlayStation 4 Fan Thread

Posts 11,281 to 11,300 of 12,193

WebHead

The source also mentioned ps5 info is out in some places. So concrete leaks should be coming soon.

Edited on by WebHead

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Octane

''This page doesn't exist. Before we send Astro Bot on a rescue mission, check the URL or head back to playstation.com to get your bearings.''

Anyway, seems like they're doing a little livestream on Wednesday; 6am PT (3pm CET).

Octane

Buizel

Anyone know how to get the best out of PS4 Pro on a 1440p monitor?

Am I crazy for buying a Pro without a 4K TV?

Buizel

Ralizah

@RR529 I don't think there is. You might want to look up a guide, as some of them are a pain and require you to jump over buildings and barriers, from what I recall.

Ralizah

RR529

@Ralizah, yeah that's a bit of a shame. I'm late enough in the game though that they've stopped introducing new maps, and since I have their layouts more or less memorized at this point I suppose I'll power through.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

PikPi

I beat Kingdom Hearts 3. There's so many criticisms that can be said, but I enjoyed it. I just wish it was more... definitive, I guess. Can't say much without spoilers, but it didn't feel as satisfying as I'd hoped.

PikPi

NEStalgia

@WebHead Well isn't that just dandy.

Me: Hey, Sony, can you finally make enough KH3 limited edition PS4s?!?

Sony: PS5 Untitled

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

Welp, PS5 is probably going to be a trainwreck. Jim Ryan is in charge starting in April so crossplay and backwards compatibility are probably not happening.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

WebHead

Oh come now. The guy is a jerk but hes great at his actual job. He is a big part of why PS is so successful especually in europe

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Octane

I wouldn't say he's a jerk, just a bit of a buffoon whenever he opens his mouth. Sony's Reggie basically

Octane

CanisWolfred

Gave Apex Legends another shot, just to see how quickly I could unlock a character...not really sure what I was expecting, but it seems that I didn't even start earning points to go towards a new character until I completed about 10 matches? Then I put in about 3 hours and barely got 1800 points, out of the 15,000 I'd need to unlock one of the two characters. I mean, that's not totally unreasonable considering the amount of characters at launch, but I should hope they ramp it up or add some other way of getting these points after they start adding more.

With that said, I still hate the battle royale genre, and what little hints of fun exist still just make me wish this was an optional mode to compliment a larger multiplayer experience, where I could actually relax and have fun. You know, the best I did without being carried by another team mate involved me breaking away from my squad, stumpling on the center of the circle, looting some decent gear, and then just camping the center while everyone else goes and kills eachother. I went 15 minutes without firing my gun, and yet I I came closer to winning than 60% of everyone else. I thought I was playing a shooter? This is some messed up garbage, IMO. I should feel like I want to track down enemies and kill them myself, but when you only have 1 life, doing so rashly and without reason just puts me into too much danger to be worthwhile. Instead, I find everyone's just running around gathering what they can and only shooting at people when they're cornered or otherwise vulnerable. I just want to shoot things in my shooty games damnit! Why is that so hard?!

I miss Halo, I miss Doom's multiplayer, I miss Quake Arena, UT, Perfect Dark, Time Splitters - I miss when shooter games where just about memorizing map layouts and twitch-based skill. In games like that, I can have fun even when I'm losing. Which I did, often, but that's okay. I don't have to be number one to have fun if the core mechanics are fun.

In Apex Legends, winning seems to be the only way to have fun, because losing a firefight means wasting 15+ minutes of your time. I know this isn't unique to AL, but it's the first one I've played where I've actually got to experience placing in the top 3 on more than one occasion, and it's the first one where I felt like I had a decent handle on the mechanics. The game is stable, the shooting, movement and hero mechanics are excellent & intuitive, there's nothing else there to hamper my experience other than the structure. And I'm happy I can finally say, with absolute certainty, that the entire Battle Royale genre can go get bent.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

diwdiws

@CanisWolfred you could just leave the lobby and enter another match? Why would you waste 15 mins if you die?

If you are looking for a fos game to relax why the hell would uou play a battle royale game, considering is its main draw is the tension of surviving

Plus lone wolfing in a team oriented game = not cool

Edited on by diwdiws

diwdiws

CanisWolfred

diwdiws wrote:

@CanisWolfred you could just leave the lobby and enter another match? Why would you waste 15 mins if you die?

If you are looking for a fos game to relax why the hell would uou play a battle royale game, considering is its main draw is the tension of surviving

Plus lone wolfing in a team oriented game = not cool

1) Because my average length of life after 4 or so hours of total play is around 15 minutes, and every time I felt like 15 minutes of careful planning, equipping, and wandering around the map lead to jack squat, since I always lost my first actual trade when engaging another player. It just feels like a lot of dead-air that leads to an anti-climax.

2) I meant decompress, but overall, that's what shooters exist in my library to do for me – they're my anti-RPG, my other fighting games, there's no progression I need to worry about losing like if I played an old-school platformer or adventure game, yet I'll still get the same kind of immediate sense of exhilaration that I go to those games for. I simply can't conceive of a reason to play a game like a Battle royale if it's going to take a genre and rob it of its most essential features. I already have survival games, stealth games, and a few survival-horror games if I want that kind of tension, and most of them offer other elements that can be even more compelling.

My point is that it's the only new multiplayer shooters that seem to come out these days (though I guess I can blame Overwatch, COD, and Battlefield for that just as much as the Battle Royale genre's exploding popularity), and the rest are dead on arrival, which saddens and angers me. I went back and watched videos for games like Reflex: Arena, Quake Champions, and Lawbreakers, and how they're basically the games I want to be playing right now, but can't – because apparently there's no market for twitch shooters anymore that aren't COD, and I have so many problems with that franchise that I am practically salivating at the thought of its inevitable death.

3) Yeah no, trying to get people to cooperate in an online game is like herding cats. Everyone's just going to do what they want to do no matter how the game's designed. The ping system is already good enough as far as communication goes, and I only split off from groups that had no idea what they were doing and showed no interest in my suggestions. It's not like I went in blind. I had plenty of matches where the rest were cooperative, they just didn't end as well for me for various reasons.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Octane

I'm not even going to bother with a site that throws a dozen pop-ups at me as soon as I click on the link. That's not the reason why I clicked on your site, I don't want to see that nonsense. Fishing through the ads to get the information you wanted, no thank you.

Octane

Octane

@WebHead But I assume they're also expanding, so I don't think it'll affect them like some sites are suggesting it will.

Octane

CanisWolfred

WebHead wrote:

really though I do not just want third person cinalematic mature games.

Yeah, same. Those "smaller games" were the only things adding diversity to their first-party line-up this gen. Hopefully they understand that and makes sure that what they're putting out differs from one game to the next obvious ways. I mean, their games have been good, but there's such thing as having too much of a good thing. And considering the never-ending parade of 3rd-person action games they've put out since 2013...I really don't think that'd hold the PS5 up the way it has with the PS4. Especially if Microsoft doesn't screw the pooch next gen, and Nintendo keeps up the momentum they've had with the Switch. They really need to try hard to make sure their next console won't feel like a PS4.75 Pro XL....

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic