Forums

Topic: Star Wars Battlefront II

Posts 141 to 160 of 166

Octane

@KirbyTheVampire The Xbox fanbase wasn't made up of casuals who couldn't grasp the difference between Xbox and Xbox One, or they did 10 seconds of research

Octane

KirbyTheVampire

@Octane I didn't say there was gonna be mass confusion, I'm just surprised that there wasn't more than there was. People certainly had that problem with the Wii U, after all. But I think that might be partially due to the fact that Nintendo always has a different name for their consoles.

KirbyTheVampire

the_shpydar

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

@Octane I didn't say there was gonna be mass confusion, I'm just surprised that there wasn't more than there was. People certainly had that problem with the Wii U, after all. But I think that might be partially due to the fact that Nintendo always has a different name for their consoles.

Plus, MS has done a much better job with their marketing and such to make things clear to retailers and consumers. Nintendo was horrible about this with the WiiU — remember, even some journalists covering the original announcement event were still unclear whether the U was an add-on to the Wii or a new system.

Heck, MS is even managing to (successfully?) market the One-X as an entirely new system (thus in theory boosting sales) instead of what it actually is.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

KirbyTheVampire

@the_shpydar That was a big part of it too, for sure. I bet the Wii U could have, at the very least, cleared 20K units if the marketing was as good as the marketing for the Switch.

KirbyTheVampire

Ralizah

Considering Nintendo's naming conventions as of late (Wii U? New Nintendo 3DS?), the Switch's actual name turned out to be a pleasant surprise. For the first time since the Nintendo 64, the name actually refers to an important aspect of the hardware. Imagine that!

Ralizah

Dezzy

@Ralizah

Good luck trying to explain how 64-bit was relevant to anything game-related in the 90s. The 64 was pure marketing nonsense. As you can tell by the fact that the original Xbox had a 32-bit processor, despite being more powerful in every way.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

Dezzy wrote:

Good luck trying to explain how 64-bit was relevant to anything game-related in the 90s. The 64 was pure marketing nonsense.

Mmmm... nope. The 64 is in reference to its 64-bit CPU.

I mean, I get what you're saying: the idea that more bits = more power is marketing fluff (at least, once you go over 32 bits), but the name is in reference to a real and very distinguishing aspect of the hardware at the time.

Ralizah

Dezzy

@Ralizah

Of course. I wasn't suggesting they just made the number up. I mean the 64-bit wasn't an important aspect of the hardware. I doubt more than 1 or 2 of their first party games actually made use of the 64-bit floating point arithmetic (if any). And obviously nothing in the 90s needed 64-bit memory addresses (that amount of memory wasn't needed in gaming until around 2005-2010.
If I remember correctly, it was 64-bit because it was just a CPU that was being used in other industries at the time when they happened to be making the console (industries where the increased mathematical accuracy was helpful). So they just decided to spin it as that meant it was more powerful as they guessed correctly that most of the public wouldn't have known that 32-bit was all you need for things like realistic colour and sound.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

RancidVomit86

N64 was kinda pure nonsense. The CPU was "64-bit" but it only had 32-bit bus and not enough cache or memory for any dev to try programming for 64-bit. Instead most of the games were coded for 32-bit. So, any marketing as 64-bit was just like a new blast processing. Sure the Genesis actually had a faster CPU than Nintendo or NEC but it was a marketing gimmick. Kinda like how the N64 is technically 64-bit but it's more of just a marketing gimmick.

The 90's were fun. Companies could say things like this and the mass market didn't understand computers enough yet to dispute it.

Edited on by RancidVomit86

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Deku-Scrub

EA in a nutshell
Untitled

Deku-Scrub

Currently Playing: Persona 5

DarthNocturnal

The Last Jedi update is out. The two new maps are fun, although Crait might need to make adjustments on it's final objective.

Finn & Phasma are both free for everyone who plays during the current season. The new A-Wing hero (Tallie) requires purchase, but luckily, she's only 5k credits. And I've been banking credits ever since I got all the other heroes. #pride&accomplishment

The new campaign levels.... eh. They're pretty much on par with the base game missions. And the plot.... well, it's only 3 levels, but it didn't feel like there was much to it. No big reveals (although, they don't want to spoil the movie, so, yeah).

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

kkslider5552000

I realize Battlefront 2 has become really low hanging fruit, but I just realized that Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 is a much better received online EA shooter with microtransactions. THIS GAME IS A LOWER TIER EXAMPLE OF A MICROTRANSACTION FILLED 60 DOLLAR ONLINE SHOOTER THAT IS PUBLISHED BY EA WITH THE NUMBER 2 IN THE TITLE. That's kind of amazing.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play, please watch and enjoy!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

RancidVomit86

Found out the in-laws got me a PS4 Battlefront 2 bundle for Christmas so looks like I'm thrust into this game regardless.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

DarthNocturnal

@Peek-a-boo

Thought you'd like to know that a progression update has just been detailed by DICE.

• Class progression is now linear. You play as a class (or hero, reinforcement or ship), you get xp for it, you level up, and you get a skill point, which you use to buy/ upgrade a star card for that class/hero/ etc. No RNG. Crafting parts are being frozen in one update, and converted into free skill points in another.
  • Star Crates no longer contain Star Cards, and can no longer to bought. They are earned for completing challenges/ milestones.
  • Credits (or real world money) can be used to buy cosmetics. No lootcrates involved.

Peek-a-boo

@DarthNocturnal All good things you jotted down there, and is very much like the original Star Ware Battlefront. Spare time is very low for me these days, and I just don’t have it in me to play Battlefront II.

Funnily enough, I played survival split screen co-op with a friend a few weeks ago on the original Battlefront and that game feels so much better than the sequel. I thoroughly dislike the running animation in the new game, and the rolling move is just bizarre. The reason why I liked the original so much is simply because it was an easy and accessible game to play, which the sequel kind of drifted away from.

Thanks for the heads up though. Are you still chipping away on Battlefront II?

Peek-a-boo

DarthNocturnal

@Peek-a-boo

I didn't think 2 was any more or less accessible then the first. I'm not sure where a running animation comes into play here. Unless you're referring to how your character feels when they move?

I haven't played much in a while, but that's just because of other games. The first game wasn't much different; friend and I would play it as the go-to multiplayer game, then eventually cycle over to something else for a bit, only to return to it somewhere down the line. This new update will probably pull us back ín (although, Sea of Thieves is coming out the day before, so we'll probably juggle between that, SWBF2 and Fortnite).

DarkRula

It's certainly a good update, but will probably come too late for any real boost in sales to be meaningful. And with this coming this month, I'm hoping the new maps come in April.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic