Forums

Topic: PSN Suspended

Posts 121 to 140 of 249

BedCommando

Just because there's 70 million accounts, does not mean there are 70 million customers.
Also, just because the servers might come back up, doesn't mean they'll stay up either. Sony's gotten a lot of heat these past few months,don't expect it to die down is PSN comes back. It seems every time Sony confronts a hacker, more come to replace him. The more they confront, the larger the pool gets. Judging by their approach, this pool will get a lot bigger.

Bedloggery
Currently playing
Pokemon Black (DS)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (OnLive)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (XBLA)

edhe

TheColorsOfSonic wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHHHHAHAHHAHAHHAHA!!!!! Ahhhhhh...I love when bad stuff happens to Sony.

I've potentially had my personal details leaked to criminals. All I had to do was get given an old PSP from my sister and register on the PSN network. not to mention my password (which I don't think I can even remember) has been compromised.

Others are fearing they have lost their credit card information to the same criminals.

Sony, meanwhile, have probably only lost some stock and a few thousand customers.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

Bankai

BedCommando wrote:

Just because there's 70 million accounts, does not mean there are 70 million customers.
Also, just because the servers might come back up, doesn't mean they'll stay up either. Sony's gotten a lot of heat these past few months,don't expect it to die down is PSN comes back. It seems every time Sony confronts a hacker, more come to replace him. The more they confront, the larger the pool gets. Judging by their approach, this pool will get a lot bigger.

Look, we get it. You're anti corporate. And anti corporates are not going to understand how corporations work, ever - it's that fear of the unknown thing.

But here's a hint. Corporations rather like the idea of having 70 million accounts to sell stuff too. PSN is coming back up. And corporations don't like bad PR. Security will be better.

Not every hacker attack is catastrophic. You don't think Microsoft is attacked on a daily basis? I know for a fact (having actual business relationships with Microsoft), that it is. But it's secure enough. And the PSN will be secure as well.

edhe - from what I'm seeing first hand (as opposed to reading in the 'press' by clueless hacks pretending to be games journalists), you should be ok. You need to be somewhat careful not to give 'Sony' your credit card detail when 'Sony' emails you asking for it, but that's about it (if that even happens).

If you are really worried, cancel your credit card. That in itself is actually not hard work - took me 30 minutes to do both, and you'll be back to being as secure as you're ever going to be (which is, frankly, not very, Sony attack or otherwise).

Honestly, you have to be either 1) really, really unlucky, or 2) stupid, to get affected by a hacker attack, even one on the scale of Sony. Just learn to ignore the 'press' - most of them have no clue how to report a story properly in the first place.

Edited on by Bankai

edhe

WaltzElf wrote:

edhe - from what I'm seeing first hand (as opposed to reading in the 'press' by clueless hacks pretending to be games journalists), you should be ok. You need to be somewhat careful not to give 'Sony' your credit card detail when 'Sony' emails you asking for it, but that's about it (if that even happens).

If you are really worried, cancel your credit card. That in itself is actually not hard work - took me 30 minutes to do both, and you'll be back to being as secure as you're ever going to be (which is, frankly, not very, Sony attack or otherwise).

Fortunately, I never got round to making a purchase on the PSN. I was merely responding to TheColorsOfSonic's apparent glee that PSN has been hacked.

But I do have some queries.

Say if my password is in the hands of someone else - how does that directly endanger my other accounts on the web - how are the hackers able to find what websites I'm a member of?

And secondly, I read on the NeoGAF forums a claim that a criminal with your personal details could apply for credit in your name. Is this true?

Nevertheless, my main worry is having to change passwords (I have a clutch of passwords and I can't remember exactly which one I used for the PSN.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

theblackdragon

@edhe: you'd be surprised how many people use one username (or a similar username) and password across multiple websites. idk what's involved in a PSN account, but if someone gave them an outside e-mail address (for verification or something) or if they were able to get their e-mail address from one of those same-username website accounts and (god forbid) that person was silly enough to use the same password for their e-mail address as their PSN account, they are potentially super-screwed, y'know?

as for the second question, to apply for credit (in the US anyway), most places will require a SSN and leave it at that, but others will allow individuals to apply if they've got proof of residency and multiple photo IDs (passport, drivers' license/state ID, military ID, etc. and so forth). to be absolutely technical about it, though, there is no state or federal law requiring them to get a SSN from every applicant, and it's a felony in the US to use threat, duress, or coercion to try and force a person by fear or deceit to provide a SSN. they'd have to do their homework to dig up the correct line of laws and prepare to go that far with it, but yes, if you're in the US (which i know you're not, but others here are and should be aware of this) they could indeed apply for credit in your name if they had your information.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Bankai

And secondly, I read on the NeoGAF forums a claim that a criminal with your personal details could apply for credit in your name. Is this true?

It's possible, as TBD mentioned above. I'm not aware of how specifics work in the US, but they seem similar to Australia. You'd have to be really, really unlucky for events to unfold that someone could apply for a loan in your name, get away with it, and leave you unable to demonstrate that you've been a victim, though.

Tasuki

Xkhaoz 3D wrote:

NSFW
[youtube:Cwn4R_GexLM]

LOL. Thats the best one yet.

@Limelight 788: I never said that that I was sure that Sony would leave the console market I said I wouldnt be surprised.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

andyutd97

Xkhaoz 3D wrote:

NSFW
[youtube:Cwn4R_GexLM]

Haha Im stupid and didn't realize the NSFW bit but hey it was a funny vid
Keep Em Coming

andyutd97

Tasuki

Well its nice to see that they are giving something to all the PSN members that were inconvenienced by this.

My Backlog

Aviator

Sony bringing friends lists, chat, account management and online play back up in the coming week.

They are also running out their welcome home program, which includes selected free PlayStation entertainment content and to all current members PS+ for 30 days.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Link79

In a way the hackers actually did us a favor. Now Sony will take security more seriously and reward us for our patience.

3DS Friend code 4038-6006-7917
Wii Friend code 3553-5293-8702-0039
Smash Bros. Brawl 0001-3032-2653
Mario vs DK: Minis March Again 3310-6435-2823
Wii and 3DS ID Link

Tasuki

Link79 wrote:

In a way the hackers actually did us a favor.

I am sure that those people who had their credit card numbers stolen dont see it that way.

My Backlog

Link79

@ Tasuki
Well yeah for those people it would be quite a mess to sort out.

Edited on by Link79

3DS Friend code 4038-6006-7917
Wii Friend code 3553-5293-8702-0039
Smash Bros. Brawl 0001-3032-2653
Mario vs DK: Minis March Again 3310-6435-2823
Wii and 3DS ID Link

andyutd97

Well at least its slowly getting back on its feet. I guess ?!?

andyutd97

Slapshot

Give it a few months and nobody will care anymore!

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

Bankai

Tasuki wrote:

Link79 wrote:

In a way the hackers actually did us a favor.

I am sure that those people who had their credit card numbers stolen dont see it that way.

I am sure if credit card details were taken we'd see some actual proof of it by now (and no, isolated people whining =/= proof. It doesn't take a data security breach at Sony to have your credit card details stolen, and from what I've read of people claiming their card numbers were stolen... they're typically stupid enough that a hundred people probably have access to those details).

There's plenty of security analysts out there that believe it's just as likely that nothing of real worth was stolen.

Edited on by Bankai

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.