Forums

Topic: Why do people think the NX is coming so soon?

Posts 101 to 105 of 105

Bolt_Strike

DefHalan wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

BlueSkies wrote:

What we know from Reggie and Tanabe:
-NX is an HD next gen console
-next year's E3 is about NX
-Nintendo is focusing E3 press on releases during the year the conference takes place

1+1+1= 3. The NX is a console, it's being shown at E3 next year, and it's launching in the same year.

I think I'd rather them show the NX in a presentation prior to E3 like Sony and Microsoft did with the PS4 and XB1. Then they could have E3 be another Digital Event focused on games, which is what E3 should be about.

Remember that when they started doing Directs/Digital Events they said that they would have a traditional press conference if they have new hardware to show off. And next E3 they do. So I think they'll just have a press conference to show what the NX can do and what the launch games are.

I think next year we will still have the digital presentation, just to introduce the hardware and the year after that they may do a press conference, to show off the power and the 3rd Party partnerships they are making.

No, that'd be completely backwards. If there's one year that they need a press conference, it's when they're unveiling new hardware. Not releasing, unveiling. That's when they need the attention and the grandiosity the most.

I disagree. When releasing it is when they need the attention from the press. Unveiling it is when they need more attention from Developers. Have a Press Event when unveiling and a digital event before releasing would be backwards in my opinion. They need the press to be talking about it and getting their hands on it before the release. At the unveiling their won't be much software for the Press to experience and most things will be people guessing at how it could be used in Software. Unveiling could just be a digital event but releasing is when they will need a Press Event.

It's not just the developers that are going to be paying attention to the unveiling. It's the gamers as well. The unveiling is when they need to demonstrate the concept behind the system and its capabilities. That's better to show live than through a pre-recorded message. When you get to the release year though, everyone already understands the system already, so they don't need a live event, and they're mainly discussing launch titles. So it'd be software focused like every mid gen E3, and they would treat it the same way. Since they're only talking about the launch games there's no need for a live event, they can talk about them in a Digital Event.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

DefHalan

I actually think unveiling would benefit from showing videos, over live demonstrations. Software will be needed for live demonstations and Software won't be ready that far on advance. Having pre-recorded footage lets them show more concepts and explain better how the hardware could be used. Saving the live demonstrations for when there is software ready and the press can actually get their hands on the games will deliver a better message closer to launch. I think we are going to have to agree to disagree

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

skywake

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Again you keep discounting the possibility that both will be announced at E3 2016. With Nintendo thinking about a unified architecture for console and handheld it only makes sense for both of them to be available around the same time (if not the same device).

I'm not discounting that possibility. All I'm saying is that the 3DS is due for a replacement more than the Wii U and so I expect we'll see a new portable in 2016. And generally I think it's more likely that they'll have a gap between the two, unified or not, purely so that the messaging isn't confusing. It may be that they release both, I may be wrong entirely and it'll be a home console. I just think that a portable and only a portable first is the most likely scenario. Not to mention that waiting a tiny bit longer for a home console allows the tech to continue to get cheaper meaning they'd stand-out more against the competition.

As for the arguments in this thread against a unified ecosystem? Where a large number of games are available on both portable and non-portable. Well portables these days are powerful enough that they can basically be the same as a mid-tier console game. We just got Smash on 3DS and Wii U and it's basically the same game. Next generation when the portable will be more powerful again? They'll be even more close. They're effectively doing this already it's just that it still takes a lot of time to port.

If they can make it so they only have to make games like Mario Tennis, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Smash Bros and New SMB once? Maybe spending 1.2x the effort developing for two rather than 2x. It'd be basically the same as now but would just mean more time to work on other titles. Which means more content and in general means a more appealing platform. So effectively what we'd have is largely the sort of games we already get on both but just with more of them and more of the other titles we always ask for. I don't see much of a down-side even if some people decide they only need one or the other.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

WebHead

To be honest it'd be kind of difficult for a new home console to launch successfully in 2016. You'd have probably uninterested third party and angered Wii U owners. Plus the way I see it 2016-2018 will be the prime years of ps4 and xbone. It can be done but it'd be very tough. Little room for error.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

TheMisterManGuy

IIRC, Sony and Microsoft unveiled their new consoles the same year they launched them. The PS4 was unveiled at a February/March conference in 2013, and launched fall of that year. So Nintendo could do the same, unveil the system(s) at a private live show, followed by additional information at E3, then a fall 2016 launch.

TheMisterManGuy

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.